PDA

View Full Version : For those who have held multiple license classes for some time

Chisanga
19th May 2007, 21:21
Just had a question regarding the expiration of your driving license. Have checked the LAnd Transport website but can't seem to find the exact answer.

If you hold multiple classes on your license e,g 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 do the classes all expire at different times relative to when you got them i.e. class 1 got in 1998 expires 2008 class 6 got in 2001 expires in 2011 etc.

Or does your license with ALL the classes expire at the same time?

I assume the first way is probably more likely as it involves forking over a lot more cash to the government :)

Thanks in advance

onearmedbandit
19th May 2007, 21:27
FWIK it applies to your licence in general, not the specific classes. Same sort of thing when you lose your licence, applies to all classes.

Sanx
19th May 2007, 22:32
What pissed me off is that since I traded my UK car licence in for an NZ one, I've paid for three more licences: bike learners, bike restricted and bike full. Yet the expiry date on the licence never changed - it's ten years to the day since I got the first NZ one. Bloody rip-off, if you ask me.

I like the old British ones: Got my full car licence at 17 years and three weeks (earliest you can drive is 17 years old). When I got the licence through, it was valid for another 53 years -until the day before my 70th birthday.

What pissed me off is that since I traded my UK car licence in for an NZ one, I've paid for three more licences: bike learners, bike restricted and bike full.

Should have done the Direct Access mate, then you'd be straight onto your full with only a theory test.

Mully
19th May 2007, 23:24
FWIK it applies to your licence in general, not the specific classes. Same sort of thing when you lose your licence, applies to all classes.

Yep, bingo. Unless you have endorsements (DG, etc), which expire more often.

Chisanga
19th May 2007, 23:35
Thnks for the replies. Next question then.

LTSA says it costs about $40 to renew a license. Does this cover all the classes you hold or do you have to pay that amount for each class?

Max Preload
23rd May 2007, 13:44
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/endorsements/renewing.html#costs

Chisanga
23rd May 2007, 13:54
Renewed my licence yesterday. Just cost $40 :) Thanks for all your help

Toaster
23rd May 2007, 13:57
I remember coming across a licence that had multiple classes - some expired, some not. But I think that was something to do with truck endorsements - which I don't know shit about.

SPman
23rd May 2007, 17:58
Just had to renew my WA license - $35 for 1 year or $111 for 5 yrs!!!!

Skyryder
23rd May 2007, 19:00
My bus licence expires at a different time to my car and bike licence which are both together.

The expirary date should be stated for the class on the licence. If not then it will expire on the general licence date.

Skyryder

Chisanga
23rd May 2007, 20:09
Hmmmm The lady at the AA said endorsements can expire at different times but all classes are under one licence and expires on the same date.

Skyryder
24th May 2007, 21:29
Hmmmm The lady at the AA said endorsements can expire at different times but all classes are under one licence and expires on the same date.

That's incorrect. My general licence expires on 13/5/2009 my P class licence expires on 28/4/2010.

I think what she means is that if your general licence expires prior to a class licence then you need to renew your general licence so that you can continue to drive the class licence. But the class licince has not expired.

Skyryder

Chisanga
24th May 2007, 21:32
That's incorrect. My general licence expires on 13/5/2009 my P class licence expires on 28/4/2010.

I think what she means is that if your general licence expires prior to a class licence then you need to renew your general licence so that you can continue to drive the class licence. But the class licince has not expired.

Skyryder

Isn't the 'P Class' an endorsement rather than a licence class?

KoroJ
24th May 2007, 23:08
Talking about licence renewals...hows this for an example of our wonderful beauracracy.

My father turned 80 and was required to sit a practical. He used to be an A grade mechanic and worked for the Ministry of Transport so held every class of licence except the passenger ones that required annual medicals.

He sat his test in a Toyota Camry Automatic so was issued a new licence which was restricted to driving auto's only. He contested this but hit a brick wall. The crazy part is, the restriction only applied to cars, he can still drive a manual truck, fire engine, forklift etc etc.

Bloody marvelous.

Chisanga
24th May 2007, 23:28
I find it amusing that everytime I walk into the AA they seem to demand to test my eyes. 3 times in the last 6 months and will have to do it again in a fortnight when I get my Class 2.

Why can't they keep a bloody record of these things it seems stupid to do it repeatedly AND take a new photo every time.

Max Preload
24th May 2007, 23:42
Isn't the 'P Class' an endorsement rather than a licence class?

It sure is. http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/endorsements/renewing.html

Rosie
25th May 2007, 09:05
I find it amusing that everytime I walk into the AA they seem to demand to test my eyes. 3 times in the last 6 months and will have to do it again in a fortnight when I get my Class 2.

Why can't they keep a bloody record of these things it seems stupid to do it repeatedly AND take a new photo every time.

I applied for my 6L and 4L licences at the same time. Two application forms, two eye tests, and two photos, within about half an hour.

MSTRS
25th May 2007, 09:59
Aaaaah, bureaucracy...the opiate of the braindead.

avgas
25th May 2007, 10:11
they all expire way to soon

I applied for my 6L and 4L licences at the same time. Two application forms, two eye tests, and two photos, within about half an hour.

I did my 1 and 6 tests at the same time, one photo, one eye test.

Rosie
25th May 2007, 11:13
I did my 1 and 6 tests at the same time, one photo, one eye test.

Interesting. The people at the AA I went to were thoroughly confused about the whole thing. They had no idea what you had to do to get a 4L - I had to explain it to them. I ended up dealing with about three different people, and by the end were so confused that they couldn't even work out if I'd paid for it all or not.
The people at the vehicle testing station in Rotorua seem a lot more switched on, I think I'll be going there in future.

Well you only have to take the photo and eye test when you apply for the licence... for most people this is after you take the test, but I just said to them that I'll take both tests before I apply for the licence, so no pissing around.

disenfranchised
25th May 2007, 11:20
Licenses should expire on on near your birthday, every time you turn x5 (25, 35, 45 etc..) after you're 60 or something it's every 5 years, and a bit after that it goes to every year.

This law came in when I was 24, and had had to renew my license twice in a couple of years...can't remember what the law was before that tho