PDA

View Full Version : Enforcement on Learners???

Stevo
8th September 2004, 22:53
I am (hopefully) only on my learners for another three weeks. Wondering how hard police try to catch learners etc????? No one displays L-Plates cos if they do they are a give away for being hit up on the ridiculous 70kph restriction. Ok so I am 28 and ridden since I was ten or so on farms without helmets exceeding 70kph etc etc but new to the road. 70 seems dangerous and quite (very) slow!

Wondering if some of you active police officers could offer us an explanation of the "Police" attitudes toward learner bike riders??

Should we as bikers push more toward trying to rid of or raise this speed restriction????????? For our fellow learner riders? :spudwhat:

Mongoose
8th September 2004, 23:00
I have heard tell of one HP fella that will radar a M/bike, run a check on the owner and there by get his license details. If they bike is doing above 70k he pulls it to check to see what license the rider has

Velox
8th September 2004, 23:16
I have heard tell of one HP fella that will radar a M/bike, run a check on the owner and there by get his license details. If they bike is doing above 70k he pulls it to check to see what license the rider has
I had a cop do that. I'd just been going for a hoon over in the Wairarapa and was coming back into Wgtn and started getting suspicious of the car behind me and so I kept at an ok pace, when sure enough the lights went on and I had to pull over. The cop said to me "So, have you got your licence back then?", and I tried to work out what on earth he was on about. Turns out he'd put my rego (must've typed it in wrong) into the system and decided that the owner of the bike had lost their licence! So I put him right and tried to ask him if there was some prob with the system but he wouldn't divulge much more info. Then he said to me in an incriminating tone, "I couldn't help notice that you were riding with one of Hell's Angels", which I found highly amusing, seeing as the guy who I had pulled up behind at the lights had actually been wearing a patch that said "God Squad". I told the cop that, and said that it was a Christian group which was a bit different. So the poor guy went away with his tail between his legs!
So yep - they can check you out! Don't know how often though.

Mr Skid
8th September 2004, 23:43
General concensus I've come across is that unless you're doing something else dubious, such as speeding or lane splitting, they aren't going to worry, though your milage way vary.

I've only once had my licence checked in the couple of years I drove around on my restricted car licence- and that was 11pm on a Saturday night on Queen St. Was looking reasonably respectable and driving a sedate car sedately, and stalled while getting my licence long enough to strike up a conversation with the officer who decided that "I'll let you go this time!"

There are various tricks surrounding L plates, such tearing off a small bit, placing it under a screw, and claiming that it was torn off, or carrying it with you and saying that you take it off when parked so that it won't get nicked and that you forgot to put it back on.

These don't really get around the 70 km/h limit, as you'd be 40km/h over the learner speed limit if doing 110km/h on the open road..

..Which makes me wonder does that then mean 28 days loss of licence etc? and if so is it worth doing a runner? :spudwhat:

FzerozeroT
9th September 2004, 00:00
i got snapped doing 124 from taupo to rotorua, 54km over if he had hit me up for the learner limit, no L plate, as well as the missing left indicator (bin 3 days before) and a tucked away rego sticker that he said "better put that in a more visible place, you wouldn't want to get a $200 fine from a different officer". I got away with 24km over. so it was damn for the ticket, but at least i still have a licence :)

scumdog
9th September 2004, 01:07
Just underwent two WWF type rounds with a drunk driver who only had his learners tonight, he lost both rounds and is getting a ticket because of lack of respect of his elders -and for his lack "L" plate, (amongst his other charges)

AND 'cos he made me miss my tea!!! :mad:

Some days I think 50+ is too old for this kind of shit but hey, it goes with the territory :blah:

Mr Skid
9th September 2004, 01:34
Just underwent two WWF type rounds with a drunk driver who only had his learners tonight, he lost both rounds and is getting a ticket because of lack of respect of his elders -and for his lack "L" plate, (amongst his other charges)

AND 'cos he made me miss my tea!!! :mad:

Some days I think 50+ is too old for this kind of shit but hey, it goes with the territory :blah:

Haha I love the people who think arguing with an officer will some how see them back down. Creative excuses and greasing are all good though!

If he was sober, driving a warranted + licenced car, and polite to you do ya reckon you might have applied your discressionary powers about the L plate?

Ms Piggy
9th September 2004, 07:46
No one displays L-Plates cos if they do they are a give away for being hit up on the ridiculous 70kph restriction. Ok so I am 28 and ridden since I was ten or so on farms without helmets exceeding 70kph etc etc but new to the road. 70 seems dangerous and quite (very) slow!
Ummmmm..., I'd have to disagree with you on that mate. I actually ride with my L-plate, I've only been riding since January but also rode from Wgtn to Hamilton and back with my L-plate on. But I've never followed the 70 km/hr speed restriction b/c I think it is far more dangerous and I haven't been pulled over yet. I'd also rather get a speeding ticket than a $500- fine for no L-plate. I've said this before but on my ride back from Hamilton I was riding at 100 km/hr and passed a truck with a cop behind me and he didn't pull me over.

Should we as bikers push more toward trying to rid of or raise this speed restriction????????? For our fellow learner riders?
Yeah go for it mate! I'd back you up. :niceone: Although I guess the logic is that to get your learners car license you need to have a practical test (is that right??) but to get your bike learners license you just have to sit the scratchie test.

Devil
9th September 2004, 08:01
I ride with my L plate on (restricted test in two weeks :D) basically because im not interested in any kind of ticket, especially speeding, when it can affect the insurance (of my car! Godamn it sucks being under 25 with a turbo!).

The area im in I can have plenty of fun without going on the open road, even then, the roads I do go on are pretty light with traffic.

Devil
9th September 2004, 08:03
Yeah go for it mate! I'd back you up. :niceone: Although I guess the logic is that to get your learners car license you need to have a practical test (is that right??) but to get your bike learners license you just have to sit the scratchie test.
For your car learners you can just go get it, even easier than bike learners, theres no handling certificate or anything like that.

I can see why the speed limit is there, stopping in-experienced riders from botching at high speed.

MOTOXXX
9th September 2004, 08:29
I am (hopefully) only on my learners for another three weeks. Wondering how hard police try to catch learners etc????? :

personaly i would just behave for another 3 weeks. Its not that long to wait.
I rode on my learners for around a year without a looser plate. I never got pinged. But its all a gamble i guess. (mind u, that was when cops were somewhat nice)

i got my first speeding ticket on my old fzr250 on the way to school when i was 15. Had no l plate and got pinged at 125km.
speeding ticket - $170
Breaching learners licence conditions (going over 70km) $400
total of $570. a hard lesson lernt but he did let me off the no l plate and
didnt send me to court for doing over 50km over the learners limit.

Dodgyiti
9th September 2004, 08:29
I was pulled up recently in Huntly on my restricted, got a ticket for failing to produce my licence $55, the cheapest option the HP could give me. I was nice and very gratefull, not to mention polite.
The weird thing is... the HP had the same problem I had.
He also got his mtb licence knocked off the books when appliying for a lifetime ripoff plastic card, and even though he was HP, he still had to start from scratch like I am.
The system sucks like that, they take your old one away, so you have no proof, then knock you back to zero. :angry2:
Anyone else had that happen when going over to the lifetime [ 10 years really] licence?
I have done all the ranting and letter writing to the powers that be, to no avail. :baby:
Ah well , I get my full licence at christmas time, unless I fork out more money and do the defensive driving course...
The whole ordeal including 250cc rental will end up costing me a grand !!

Blakamin
9th September 2004, 08:37
I had a full australian bike licence that had expired when i came back here so i had to start again! :angry2:

spudchucka
9th September 2004, 08:56
I am (hopefully) only on my learners for another three weeks. Wondering how hard police try to catch learners etc?????
For learner motorcycle riders - not that hard. If one is pulled up for some other infringement and the rider is found to be breaching learners conditions then a ticket for the breach might be likely. Learner and restricted car drivers however are a different story because they are so obvious. A car load of 16 year olds stands out like dogs bollocks.

One interesting point is that heaps of gang members either don't hold a M/C licence at all or are still on the graduated system. Its priceless giving a big smelly gang member a ticket for not displaying L plates!

No one displays L-Plates cos if they do they are a give away for being hit up on the ridiculous 70kph restriction. Ok so I am 28 and ridden since I was ten or so on farms without helmets exceeding 70kph etc etc but new to the road. 70 seems dangerous and quite (very) slow!
70 kph is pretty dumb in my opinion because it puts the rider in a vulnerable position, (being passed by trucks etc). I don't think this would be policed too hard by most cops, particularly if you don't give the cop any reason to ticket you, (smart attitude etc).

Wondering if some of you active police officers could offer us an explanation of the "Police" attitudes toward learner bike riders??
As per above. If you get pulled for speeding or anything else relating to driver behaviour and you are found to be breaching licence conditions then expect a $400 ticket. Cops do check regos and the owners licence details and if they suspect an offence they will probably pull you over, however this is more true of cars than for bikes.

Should we as bikers push more toward trying to rid of or raise this speed restriction????????? For our fellow learner riders? :spudwhat:
Go for it, you never know your luck.................Don't hold your breath though!

Slim
9th September 2004, 09:17
70 kph is pretty dumb in my opinion because it puts the rider in a vulnerable position, (being passed by trucks etc). I don't think this would be policed too hard by most cops, particularly if you don't give the cop any reason to ticket you, (smart attitude etc).
I talked with an HP guy (who's never ridden a motorbike & doesn't want to in the future) about this last year and he honestly couldn't understand why I thought it was more dangerous for a learner to be doing 70kph on the open road. :eek:

clint640
9th September 2004, 09:28

Yep, thankfully that seems to be the prevailing attitude. I got pulled over at a warrant & reg check when I was on my learners, the officer asked how fast I was going, I told him: "about 100, being passed by logging trucks isn't pleasant" which he seemed to think was reasonable 'cos he didn't give me a ticket. I think the graduated licence system is good & the rules should be followed apart from that issue.

Cheers
Clint

Posh Tourer :P
9th September 2004, 09:28

Just dont go in a 100kmh zone.... = no getting passed by trucks. It is like driving/riding at night. Sometimes you think you need to do it, but more often than not there are other ways around it. Of course this only works when you live in a city. Hence it is a stupid restriction for anyone living outside a major centre.

Go for it on trying to get it removed

CSL: Car licence is only a scratchie, and they rely on parents to teach good driving :wacko:. M/C at least you do a practical for your learners

thehollowmen
9th September 2004, 09:37
As much as there might be a way up to christchurch from dunedin only in 70km/h zone... I'd hate to think where it took me. :crazy:

scumdog
9th September 2004, 09:40
Haha I love the people who think arguing with an officer will some how see them back down. Creative excuses and greasing are all good though!

I tried to explain that his threats and ranting (sounds like some KB threads!!)did not impress me and that no, it wasn't going to make me go away and no, I couldn't just give him a lift home (he had crashed into a ditch).
And yes, he could call me a pig and that I was born out of wedlock and that I was a wanker (we all know that!!) and my gender preference was for males etc. but he was still coming back with me.

If he was sober, driving a warranted + licenced car, and polite to you do ya reckon you might have applied your discressionary powers about the L plate?

Hell yes but some people can't help themselves and just talk their way into a fistful of tickets.

FlyingDutchMan
9th September 2004, 09:43
I got done once on my learners. I suspect the only reason he pulled me over in the first place cause I was doing 70km/h (poor bike wouldn't go any faster :(). Gave me a ticket for no L-plate ($400) and WOF that had expired by 9 days ($200). He asked me how fast I was allowed to go on me learners, and I said 70 of course. So he had to check it... to him 10 friggen minutes just to find in his book of rules... I would have been pissing myself laughing if I didn't alreadly have $600 worth of fines already. Luckily I wrote in and managed to get off both - apparently my L plate had "fallen off", and I got a wof the next day.

To boil it down, some (lots?) cops don't know about the 70km/h limit. Anyway, by my understanding the 70 limit only applies in open road areas (mentioned as the "open road speed limit")... so you're allowed to do 80 in a 80 zone.

The One
9th September 2004, 09:48
I reckon you should stick the plate on, because if you get caught without 1, the fine is $400 dollars. Which is alot of dosh you don't need to pay. Spend it on getting better tyres, or beers on the weekend. Good riding and hurry up and get the full licence. And if the cops see you with 1 on they will think you are a law abiding rider and are more likely to leave you alone. Trust me.

Slim
9th September 2004, 09:48
I actually got off a ticket after arguing with the officer! :shit:

Actually it probably wasn't arguing, it was more like stunned disbelief that he was accusing me of doing 130kph on SH1 south of Meremere (who would be that stupid :spudwhat: ), and an honestly indignant refusal to accept the blame!

He checked my licence & sent me on my way. :mellow:

Slim
9th September 2004, 09:51
Although I guess the logic is that to get your learners car license you need to have a practical test (is that right??) but to get your bike learners license you just have to sit the scratchie test.
I think you got that backwards.

Car drivers just do the scratchy/aural test, while bikers have to pass a Basic Skills and Handling certificate before they can even book the scratchy test.

Stevo
9th September 2004, 13:13
I have a velcro thing for for my L plate and would say it blew off, as it was on when I left home??? LOL. Reason for not fixing it permanently "So my gf with full licence can ride without the L plate............" (As if she would ride my 250 when she has the ZX9R as an alternative Hahaahahaah).

Mind you I must admit that when I was down South and travelling into Chch to see the lady I used to stop at Hornby and put the L plate on because 1) If I got stopped on an odd chance of being picked up by police, ie making a silly mistake, :Police: and 2) Insurance purposes in case some incompetent fool pulled out on me.

I agree Celtic Sea Lily that if you have not ridden much the 70kph limit is appropriate? Personally I feel the limit could be raised and the Basic skills test be a little more of a challenge as I felt it a waste of time by being able to pass it (possibly with half an ounce of luck) with no experience at all??

spudchucka
9th September 2004, 13:34
Anyway, by my understanding the 70 limit only applies in open road areas (mentioned as the "open road speed limit")... so you're allowed to do 80 in a 80 zone.
No......a learner rider is restricted to 70kph. The restriction applies to any speed zone where the designated speed limit is above 70kph.

riffer
9th September 2004, 13:38
I have a velcro thing for for my L plate and would say it blew off, as it was on when I left home??? LOL. Reason for not fixing it permanently "So my gf with full licence can ride without the L plate............" (As if she would ride my 250 when she has the ZX9R as an alternative Hahaahahaah).

So what is the police line on a fully licenced rider stopped for doing 100km/hr on a bike displaying a Learner plate.

Is that an offence? Exceeding 70km/hr while displaying L plate?

Gasman
9th September 2004, 13:41
I think we're pretty lucky in NZ. I have heard horror stories (and some have appeared on this site) about cops in other countries who are absolutely paranoid about bikes. They seem to go out of their way to stick it to us. I've been lucky so far. Never had a speeding ticket of any sort, bike or car. I reckon the trick is in watching the conditions, and not doing stupid things in the wrong place. BUT, a lot has just been plain luck!

I believe in the old saying "look where you want to go". If you always do that you just might see more than a corner that's tighter than you think. You also just might see that white car or van tucked in behind a bush!

Slingshot
9th September 2004, 14:12
I'm on my restricted at the moment (due to sit the full test on the 20th).

I think the engine size restriction is a good one...I wish I could get a bigger bike now...but it's probably a good thing that I can't. I took a mates 750 gixxer out for a blat, OMG it was fast!!! I don't need that kinda power, I'd rather push my 250 as hard as I can and master that before moving up.

The hour restriction is a pain, I'm 27 and I now have a curfew again

When I was on the learners, the L-Plate was never attached (except when I sat the restricted test...it was then promptly removed).

The 70Kph IMHO is simply dangerous, other road users expect traffic to be traveling at 100Kph and most probably expect bikes to be going faster still.

When I first started riding I only rode 1-up, now I'm quite happy carrying a pillion, I've gone for a frang over the takas with my wife on the back and had a great time...sure the stopping takes a little longer and cornering feels different but you have to get used to it at some stage. I've even got away have the wife on the back when I got pulled over for speeding..."she's aloud on the back cause she's my wife" I couldn't believe that line worked

Maybe it's because I'm getting old but the rules are a bit of a pain. Although thinking back to when I was 15, if I had got a bike back then these rules would have helped keep me alive.

riffer
9th September 2004, 14:29
How long do you have to wait between getting your learners and sitting your restricted?

Is it six months? Or can you sit your restricted almost immediately.

Its been 20 years since I had my learners - I've forgotten.

dveus
9th September 2004, 15:14
yup, 6 months on your learners, then another 18 on a restricted license.

Ghost Lemur
9th September 2004, 15:22
yup, 6 months on your learners, then another 18 on a restricted license.

And half those for over 25s.... yay.

riffer
9th September 2004, 15:43
yup, 6 months on your learners, then another 18 on a restricted license. Ouch. I'm sure it wasn't 18 months on restricted when I was 17. Must have forgotten about that.

Blakamin
9th September 2004, 15:50
And half those for over 25s.... yay.
Actually, learners is still 6 months if you're over 25 :doh:
I had to do it!

Ghost Lemur
9th September 2004, 16:09
Actually, learners is still 6 months if you're over 25 :doh:
I had to do it!

Yeah, but the ristricted goes for 18 months to 6. So it sort of evens out.

Ms Piggy
9th September 2004, 16:18
I think you got that backwards.

Car drivers just do the scratchy/aural test, while bikers have to pass a Basic Skills and Handling certificate before they can even book the scratchy test.
Oh yeah! I forgot about the BHS test :Oops: I shouldn't forget b/c I was pretty traumatised for months after I passed mine!

Just dont go in a 100kmh zone.... = no getting passed by trucks. It is like driving/riding at night. Sometimes you think you need to do it, but more often than not there are other ways around it.
Ummmmm - PT how the hell are you meant to become a better rider if you can't ride on the open road?

White trash
9th September 2004, 16:24
Ummmmm - PT how the hell are you meant to become a better rider if you can't ride on the open road?

By practicing wheelies in the pub car park. Duh.

badlieutenant
9th September 2004, 17:48
I'm on my restricted at the moment (due to sit the full test on the 20th).

I think the engine size restriction is a good one...I wish I could get a bigger bike now...but it's probably a good thing that I can't. I took a mates 750 gixxer out for a blat, OMG it was fast!!! I don't need that kinda power, I'd rather push my 250 as hard as I can and master that before moving up.

The hour restriction is a pain, I'm 27 and I now have a curfew again

When I was on the learners, the L-Plate was never attached (except when I sat the restricted test...it was then promptly removed).

The 70Kph IMHO is simply dangerous, other road users expect traffic to be traveling at 100Kph and most probably expect bikes to be going faster still.

When I first started riding I only rode 1-up, now I'm quite happy carrying a pillion, I've gone for a frang over the takas with my wife on the back and had a great time...sure the stopping takes a little longer and cornering feels different but you have to get used to it at some stage. I've even got away have the wife on the back when I got pulled over for speeding..."she's aloud on the back cause she's my wife" I couldn't believe that line worked

Maybe it's because I'm getting old but the rules are a bit of a pain. Although thinking back to when I was 15, if I had got a bike back then these rules would have helped keep me alive.
id have to disagree on the cc rating restriction, I think it should be a total power output and power/weight restriction. I used to ride a xj600 on my learners and got pulled up for it by a cop. I explained to him that a gsxr250 would leave my bike for dead both in top speed and acceleration. I also pointed out my main use of the bike, which was long distance riding (bay of islands to wellington) which would kill a 250 fast, and he was good about it and even agreed that it was a silly law and told me to have a good day and take it easy. Actually He was driving one of the new holdens at the time and I ended up have a look at the new engine and finding out how fast they could go etc. :D

Stevo
9th September 2004, 18:49
I guess it comes down to not drawing too much attention to oneself while on the learners. I rarely exceed 110kph in areas or at times when the cops are in abundance. My theory being that without my L plate they are not exactly going to pull me up for doing 110 or less.

ummmmmm...... :innocent: Also I think all of my demerits that I have accrued in my cage, has a factor here as I have very few to play with!! :doh:

The funniest thing while being on my learners was the Mrs being caught by Mr Policeman doing 126 catching up to me doing 111 on the wee 250........ :lol: She just said to him, Lucky you caught me then cos I am way nicer than my bf woulda been. (Cos of demerits automatic loss of licence for me it woulda been)hahahahaaha

Lou Girardin
10th September 2004, 07:03
If the cops really wanted to enforce learner laws, they'd be outside schools at 3.00PM.
I don't think it's high priority for them.

Motu
10th September 2004, 08:05
A loooooooooooonnnnnnnggggggg time ago the L label was the rego label,if you were a learner when you paid for your rego,you got an L label.My brother had less riding time than me,but as he had a full car license he had a full rego label too.So I got a ticket for riding his bike which had no L label.Unfortunatly it was in Orewa and I had to go to court on the shore to plead guilty,I was 17 at the time and it was an interesting experiance - watching high paid lawyers pleading faulty speedos and such as the reason for speeding.One of these lawyers was a fat greasy haired dude wearing a black suit like he was an undertaker - his name was David Lange,and was to resurface a few years later.

spudchucka
10th September 2004, 09:45
And if the cops see you with 1 on they will think you are a law abiding rider and are more likely to leave you alone. Trust me.
Thats how I look at it.

spudchucka
10th September 2004, 09:48
I think we're pretty lucky in NZ. I have heard horror stories (and some have appeared on this site) about cops in other countries who are absolutely paranoid about bikes. They seem to go out of their way to stick it to us. I've been lucky so far. Never had a speeding ticket of any sort, bike or car. I reckon the trick is in watching the conditions, and not doing stupid things in the wrong place. BUT, a lot has just been plain luck!

I believe in the old saying "look where you want to go". If you always do that you just might see more than a corner that's tighter than you think. You also just might see that white car or van tucked in behind a bush!
That is exactly the method I've used to stay ticket free since about age 17.

spudchucka
10th September 2004, 09:49
So what is the police line on a fully licenced rider stopped for doing 100km/hr on a bike displaying a Learner plate.

Is that an offence? Exceeding 70km/hr while displaying L plate?
Not a problem. Its the persons licence that is important, not the fact that an L plate is displayed on the bike.

spudchucka
10th September 2004, 09:59
If the cops really wanted to enforce learner laws, they'd be outside schools at 3.00PM.
I don't think it's high priority for them.
I guess you don't hang around schools too much these days to actually be able to back that up (unless of course there is some dirty secret you are'nt telling us about). Schools are easy pickings for licence breaches and cops do patrol them especially when complaints are received about hormone charged love sick boy racers doing skids etc to impress the girls.

Its not a high priority but when need arises they are policed hard.

10th September 2004, 12:21

This thing called a 50kmh zone. It will teach you roadcraft because you are going to be around lots of other cars. Only for 6 months too. Once you have become used to traffic, you can then get a restricted and do 100kmh, and deal with 1)motorway traffic and 2)learning how to ride round corners well (something that not many people really need to do, it is more of a choice).

Why is it such an issue??? For the first 6 months you learn one aspect, and then the next 18months you learn another?

There's more to being a good rider than being able to go fast on an open road.

I dont understand your point :spudwhat: (illustrated for the smiley generation)

Blakamin
10th September 2004, 12:42
This thing called a 50kmh zone. It will teach you roadcraft because you are going to be around lots of other cars. Only for 6 months too. Once you have become used to traffic, you can then get a restricted and do 100kmh, and deal with 1)motorway traffic and 2)learning how to ride round corners well (something that not many people really need to do, it is more of a choice).

Why is it such an issue??? For the first 6 months you learn one aspect, and then the next 18months you learn another?

a bit difficult to stick to 50 zones if you live somewhere like the kapiti coast
:2thumbsup

Slingshot
10th September 2004, 12:53
How long do you have to wait between getting your learners and sitting your restricted?

Is it six months? Or can you sit your restricted almost immediately.

Its been 20 years since I had my learners - I've forgotten.

I'm over 25 so it's only 6 months, if I had done a course it would have droped down to 3 months.

Slingshot
10th September 2004, 12:56
id have to disagree on the cc rating restriction, I think it should be a total power output and power/weight restriction. I used to ride a xj600 on my learners and got pulled up for it by a cop. I explained to him that a gsxr250 would leave my bike for dead both in top speed and acceleration. I also pointed out my main use of the bike, which was long distance riding (bay of islands to wellington) which would kill a 250 fast, and he was good about it and even agreed that it was a silly law and told me to have a good day and take it easy. Actually He was driving one of the new holdens at the time and I ended up have a look at the new engine and finding out how fast they could go etc. :D

Yeah...totaly agree. The comment was more about the fact that I think there should be a restriction of some sort. Can you imagine the carnage if someone was able to buy an R1 or similar as there learners bike. :eek:

vifferman
10th September 2004, 12:56
A loooooooooooonnnnnnnggggggg time ago the L label was the rego label,if you were a learner when you paid for your rego,you got an L label.My brother had less riding time than me,but as he had a full car license he had a full rego label too.So I got a ticket for riding his bike which had no L label.Unfortunatly it was in Orewa and I had to go to court on the shore to plead guilty,I was 17 at the time and it was an interesting experiance - watching high paid lawyers pleading faulty speedos and such as the reason for speeding.One of these lawyers was a fat greasy haired dude wearing a black suit like he was an undertaker - his name was David Lange,and was to resurface a few years later.I'd forgotten about the "L label thing. D'you remember that you could get a provisional licence to ride for 6 weeks on the road, by answering 5 oral questions and paying 50 cents? Then when that expired, another 50cents and off you went. I didn't have a bike to start with - borrowed everyone elses, like my sister's boyfriend's CB350.
When I wrote my first bike off, the other party didn't want to pay up, so contested it. My lawyer - one Paul East - said "Go for it!" and it was settled very quickly.

Ms Piggy
10th September 2004, 13:09

The issue for me is I live in Wellington and to get most places outside of the city I have to travel on the motorway. Most car drivers don't know that there is a speed restriction for Learner MB riders so they get aggrivated & aggressive and pass you close enough so that you can touch their car - it has happend to me. :wacko:
Therefore my point is that if I want to ride to Tawa, Porirua, Upper Hutt, Lower Hutt just about anywhere I have to ride on the open road where there are a lot of dick head drivers that don't take kindly to being behind someone on a MB going at 70.

I know there is definitely more to be a good rider than going fast.

Personally I think being confident riding at 100 km/hr is just as important as being able to ride around town. I know I'm still a new rider and therefore have a lot to learn but I have never regretted getting out on that motorway at 100 when I'd only been riding for 2 months. It was an incredible boost to my confidence and I got to know my bike a lot better too. I also ride around town just about everyday and that is a must as well. I think a combination of both as soon as possible is best - it's what worked for me. :)

Blakamin
10th September 2004, 13:22
I'd forgotten about the "L label thing. D'you remember that you could get a provisional licence to ride for 6 weeks on the road, by answering 5 oral questions and paying 50 cents? Then when that expired, another 50cents and off you went. I didn't have a bike to start with - borrowed everyone elses, like my sister's boyfriend's CB350.
When I wrote my first bike off, the other party didn't want to pay up, so contested it. My lawyer - one Paul East - said "Go for it!" and it was settled very quickly.

That 50 cents wasnt a weeks wages was it FS? (and coz I AM the smiley generation):P

vifferman
10th September 2004, 13:27
That 50 cents wasnt a weeks wages was it FS? (and coz I AM the smiley generation):PAt that time, I was earning about a dollar an hour, working in a furniture store. Petrol (for my first bike) cost me 80cents for a tank (2 galloooons, IIRC), and would get me about 85 miles.

vifferman
10th September 2004, 13:29
That 50 cents wasnt a weeks wages was it FS? (and coz I AM the smiley generation):PBecause you AM the smiley generation, I won't say "You cheeky young bugger!" Plus this gets me an extra post nearer the 1K mark (is that cheating?)

Motu
10th September 2004, 13:33
Yep,I paid my 50c a few times before I got around to doing the real thing.$1 an hr was mans wages,I was getting $18 a week and it cost me 50c to fill my Bantam.

Mr Skid
10th September 2004, 13:34
Because you AM the smiley generation, I won't say "You cheeky young bugger!" Plus this gets me an extra post nearer the 1K mark (is that cheating?)
I don't think it is at all, now quickly reply to this with something pointless so I can reply back with something equally pointless. :banana:

Blakamin
10th September 2004, 13:38
Plus this gets me an extra post nearer the 1K mark (is that cheating?)
No...not at all :killingme

dhunt
10th September 2004, 13:43
Personnally I think it much easier to get an overseas license and transfer it to nz license. Cheaper and quicker that way as well.

David

Blakamin
10th September 2004, 13:51
Personnally I think it much easier to get an overseas license and transfer it to nz license. Cheaper and quicker that way as well.

David
except the bit where you have to be overseas

dhunt
10th September 2004, 13:57
except the bit where you have to be overseas
Yeah I suppose :innocent:

10th September 2004, 19:28
The issue for me is I live in Wellington and to get most places outside of the city I have to travel on the motorway.

Well dont try and get there then!

10th September 2004, 19:33
a bit difficult to stick to 50 zones if you live somewhere like the kapiti coast
:2thumbsup

and THAT is the reason why I think it is a stupid restriction....

Sorry CSL, but your argument doesnt hold up, unless you can prove personal hardship for most learner riders caused by your argument. I dont think you can. Blakamin has hit the best reason. Not everyone has the space to learn in a 50 zone for the first 6 months....I can get everywhere in Akl, but going round greenhithe is a bit of a pain to get to the north shore. I'm sure it is similar in wellington. But for those in, say Turangi? You'd be *very* restricted for 6 months....

Blakamin
10th September 2004, 19:45
Blakamin has hit the best reason.

Awww... shucks :o

Antallica
10th September 2004, 22:17
Hmm, it's been over 1.5 years since I got that learners. Perhaps I'd better put that higher on the list.

Ms Piggy
11th September 2004, 20:59

Sorry CSL, but your argument doesnt hold up, unless you can prove personal hardship for most learner riders caused by your argument. I dont think you can. Blakamin has hit the best reason. Not everyone has the space to learn in a 50 zone for the first 6 months....I can get everywhere in Akl, but going round greenhithe is a bit of a pain to get to the north shore. I'm sure it is similar in wellington. But for those in, say Turangi? You'd be *very* restricted for 6 months....

Hey PT - just got back to this now. There's no need for you to apologise. ;) You and I will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I know that for me personally the way I have built up my confidence is by both riding on the open road & around town. :scooter: I don't have to prove personal hardship I just know what has worked for me so far. :shifty:

11th September 2004, 21:06
Hey PT - just got back to this now. There's no need for you to apologise. ;) You and I will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I know that for me personally the way I have built up my confidence is by both riding on the open road & around town. :scooter: I don't have to prove personal hardship I just know what has worked for me so far. :shifty:

Damned if I'm going to back out just yet!!!

WHY cant you develop later??? The first 6 months is for not open road. You can do all that developing after you sit a restricted!!! You still havent given any reason why you cant just do all that confidence building 24 weeks later...

what is so important about having to ride on open roads as soon as you get a licence????

Ms Piggy
11th September 2004, 21:38
Damned if I'm going to back out just yet!!!

WHY cant you develop later??? The first 6 months is for not open road. You can do all that developing after you sit a restricted!!! You still havent given any reason why you cant just do all that confidence building 24 weeks later...

what is so important about having to ride on open roads as soon as you get a licence????

I guess all I have to go on is my own personal experience. I rode pretty much everyday around town for a couple of months before I did my trip from Wellington to Hamilton in Feb of this year. Not that I like to brag...oh well ok then! http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1903&page=1&pp=15 Nah not really bragging, just realy wrapt that I did it.

Maybe my harship factor could be that, as a poor student, I bought my bike to save $$ on transport which was costing me up to $7- a day now maybe $10- a week at the most. Now it would be lovely if all my friends lived in Wellington City but they don't and so I would have to spend the money I saved from avoiding public transport on more petrol, so that I could ride at 50 km/hr until I am as road savvy at 50 km/hr as I can be.

And how the hell would I get out to Deanos to watch MotoGP on Thursday nights?? I know, I could ride at 70 km/hr and really piss off other traffic and endanger myself in the process I guess but nah, I choose to ride at 100km/hr on open road.

I dunno why I can't develop later, maybe you could ask a new rider that hasn't gone out on the open road like me. Maybe b/c part of the fun of riding for me, in fact the most fun, isn't being around town but being able to ride long distances and feel the freedom of being on my bike - excuse the cheese factor - it's not about speed though. Sheesh I dunno.

I don't have to try & convince you though cos I know what has worked for me, but it might not work for the next rider.

I open to correction and to learn and I'm not trying to be arrogant and say I'm as good rider or anything - I know I'm not but all I'm saying is what I have found as a Learner.

Cheers Cathy :)

11th September 2004, 22:12
Now it would be lovely if all my friends lived in Wellington City but they don't and so I would have to spend the money I saved from avoiding public transport on more petrol, so that I could ride at 50 km/hr until I am as road savvy at 50 km/hr as I can be.

And how the hell would I get out to Deanos to watch MotoGP on Thursday nights?? I know, I could ride at 70 km/hr and really piss off other traffic and endanger myself in the process I guess but nah, I choose to ride at 100km/hr on open road.

So why do you have to RIDE to go to these places???? Its like saying dang, all the parties happen at night, therefore I will feel justified in driving/riding at night on a learners/restricted

Ms Piggy
11th September 2004, 22:22
So why do you have to RIDE to go to these places???? Its like saying dang, all the parties happen at night, therefore I will feel justified in driving/riding at night on a learners/restricted

B/c it's my mode of transport and I choose to ride. I don't HAVE to. I'm not trying to justify riding at 100 km/hr...or maybe I am, anyway it is what I choose to do. I'm just saying that's how it works for me, you won't change my mind mate. I think from memory even the scary man who I did my BHS test with recomended getting out on the open road ASAP.

I really need to get my restricted though - you're right there!

12th September 2004, 08:16
B/c it's my mode of transport and I choose to ride. I don't HAVE to. I'm not trying to justify riding at 100 km/hr...or maybe I am, anyway it is what I choose to do. I'm just saying that's how it works for me, you won't change my mind mate. I think from memory even the scary man who I did my BHS test with recomended getting out on the open road ASAP.

I really need to get my restricted though - you're right there!

I agree that the restriction is stupid, and I spent a lot of time out in the Waitakeres when I was on my learners - open road speed limit, and no cops. Twas very good. I think the restriction should be removed for two reasons. 1) It is impossible to safely adhere to for rural learners. 2) It serves no purpose. Compared to a car learner licence, where you can go anywhere immediately, with no basic control skills even, its ludicrous. The problem there is that the learners and restricted then become identical for a bike. So what is the privilege you should earn on your restricted, to keep it similar to the car system

Ms Piggy
12th September 2004, 09:53
I agree that the restriction is stupid, and I spent a lot of time out in the Waitakeres when I was on my learners - open road speed limit, and no cops. Twas very good. I think the restriction should be removed for two reasons. 1) It is impossible to safely adhere to for rural learners. 2) It serves no purpose. Compared to a car learner licence, where you can go anywhere immediately, with no basic control skills even, its ludicrous. The problem there is that the learners and restricted then become identical for a bike. So what is the privilege you should earn on your restricted, to keep it similar to the car system

Yeah ok I see what you mean, the whole "privelage" thing. Hmmmmmm, maybe being able to graduate a higher cc bike on restricted? I really don't know. :mellow: I really think weight ratio idea is far better than cc rating restriction so maybe if they changed that rule it would make a HUGE difference.

Cheers Cathy

chic 'n' charge
13th September 2004, 08:08

Sorry CSL, but your argument doesnt hold up, unless you can prove personal hardship for most learner riders caused by your argument. I dont think you can.....

If I was to only ride in 50-70 zones how long till I got sick of riding around Picton???? Would it be good for my riding? I doubt it! In the weekend rode from Here to Nelson, Murchison through the Lewis Pass to Chch and yesterday back up the coast. I suggest riding on the many different road surfaces the straight roads the tight twisty hilly ones was a lot better for learning, AND a helluva lotta fun :2thumbsup

Ms Piggy
13th September 2004, 10:45
AND a helluva lotta fun :2thumbsup

EXACTLY!
:yes:

spudchucka
13th September 2004, 11:22
rode from Here to Nelson, Murchison through the Lewis Pass to Chch and yesterday back up the coast.
That sounds like a very nice ride!!

scumdog
13th September 2004, 21:24
Quote:"rode from Here to Nelson, Murchison through the Lewis Pass to Chch and yesterday back up the coast".

Too right, me'n'Chrissy-Bimbo (Mrs S.D.) did that ride earlier this year, it's magic, - good variety/scenery/distances, when it is not so wet we'll do it again. :2thumbsup (we're talking about the weather here, smut-minds)

Stevo
14th September 2004, 07:54
If I was to only ride in 50-70 zones how long till I got sick of riding around Picton???? Would it be good for my riding? I doubt it! In the weekend rode from Here to Nelson, Murchison through the Lewis Pass to Chch and yesterday back up the coast. I suggest riding on the many different road surfaces the straight roads the tight twisty hilly ones was a lot better for learning, AND a helluva lotta fun :2thumbsup

Sorry was actually me who wrote this, but did not realise I was signed in as the Mrs. It was a nice ride thanks Spudchucka. Apart from the poor weather and appalling visibilty between Nelson and Murchison. Ummm having not left Nelson until 830pm tho I was a little past my curfew by the time I got to Chch though. :doh:

Again good for the riding I say! Was slow trip for most of it as I had to match my road speed to the poor road and weather conditions which is even more essential on the bike eh?

Just have to watch the grit on lots of these SI roads at the moment. Roll on summer I say and no grit on all these tight bends!:2thumbsup: