PDA

View Full Version : riding gear

fergie
8th July 2003, 16:05
Im in the market for a new jacket and would like your opinion on types and styles of jackets that you prefer.

what in your opinion is the best for comfort,warmth,safety etc.

please include brands

thanks

750Y
8th July 2003, 17:21
go for a touring style cordura jacket.
it should have armour & be waterproof & breatheable preferably with removable lining and waterproof pockets. that will see you right for rain,wind,cold,sun,humidity & the odd minor spill.(an average day in akld)

brands-wise i'd say Spidi is the best or maybe BMW too.
Dry rider are good imho.
spyke i have & never again.
spend what You can, over a few years an expensive jacket will pay for itself over and over...& over...

i wish i'd spent $1k on a spidi touring jacket. It is worth it if You ride all the time.

wkid_one
8th July 2003, 17:26
Spidi or Technic's are you best bet for synthetic jackets.....

Kwaka-Kid
8th July 2003, 19:35
i liek my DRIRIDER gear, but its costly (didnt pay, handmedowns :P) and it smells like absolute crap after getting wet/semi dry, gotta wash it foten and let drty infront of fire/sun, hate that yuck smell (altho its prolly just me) and has served me well in 1x spill, just burnt a hole in the top of the left shoulder

What?
9th July 2003, 06:18
For all seasons, go for synthetics. I have a Dririder Extreme suit, and it works well (although I got the one I bought first replaced under warranty as it leaked). However, the good gear is pricey, and if that is an issue, go for a leather jacket with twin front zips. This will allow a good summer fit, yet expand to allow for extra clothing in winter. Then for wet or very cold days, just add a nylon wet suit over top. This option will something like half the price of a Spidi jacket.:niceone:

Duke of Rogan
9th July 2003, 07:00
I'm also in the hunt for some new gear, and will be getting some sort of synthetic jacket/pants combo, but my budget is <$1k, so Spidi will not be an option.

I had a look in Mt Eden m/c's last night (open to 7 every day) and tried on a couple of types.
Cheapest is KBC, I think it was about $550 for jacket and pants. Good value for money, but its probably worth spending a little more.

The next brand I tried I can't remember the name of dang-it!
(began with an "S", but wasn't "spyke")
This combo looked pretty good, lots of armour and felt very warm (fully lined, removable, zippered airways etc), cellphone pocket on inside...
$720 for the pair.

I plan to look at Colemans next to see what they've got on sale...

fergie
9th July 2003, 10:39
hey great advice guys, i normally go out and buy the first/cheapest thing that jumps out at me(and regret it later) lol just look at my wife!!!!!

but as for a set of riding gear, i plan to choose carefully and buy on function instead of price.

thanks for the help

safe riding

duckman
9th July 2003, 12:37
I purchased a Daytona suit about two years ago. It cost about a grand and was the best bike suit I've ever had.
It's lightweight, waterproof, warm and a good fit. They use a variety of materials in different parts of the suit and this makes all the difference. It also has built in armour although I'm not sure how a slide down the road would be ?? ouchy??!!?

I've seen Mt eden M/C's range and I would suggest you try motomail or powersports as well. If you buy from motomail and your on their "points scheme" then it gives you enough points to buy a set of gloves - For FREE!!! - Worth a look.

Mitch
9th July 2003, 15:41
Yup I'll second that, when your looking for gear and your not to sure what you want Motomail is by far the best place to start!!!!&nbsp; I don't think there is anywhere else in Auckland that has the range.

MikeL
9th July 2003, 16:30
Try the Teknic range at Motomail. I got a Stinger jacket there for $499 - not the cheapest but by no means the dearest either. My mate's got a much more expensive one ($1000) and I can't see anywhere near $500 difference in quality (perhaps the difference will only become apparent when I fall off!!) :niceone:

Kwaka-Kid
9th July 2003, 16:38
or the markup! :Oops:

my bad :o

Marmoot
9th July 2003, 22:41
Teknic Sequoia is a bit noisy. Protection level is supposed to be good, unless you ride like you race.

Spidi is good protection when it comes to fabric jacket (as my partner has tested. Isn't that right, andy1? :niceone: )

Leather is always good protection. Only when you go really fast then the brands make some difference.

If you get a fabric jacket, choose one with removable (zipped) inner thermal layer so you can still wear it in the summer. The outer does not have to be too thick either. The thermal layer is the most important warmer.

Marmoot
9th July 2003, 22:44
Oh, for those that like to wear leathers in the winter, stuff a fabric-jacket thermal layer in it. it is warm and light and will keep you warm enough. Also, don't forget the sno-seal beeswax to waterproof your leather. Not even a storm can soak it. :niceone:

What?
10th July 2003, 09:32
Originally posted by fergie
i plan to choose carefully and buy on function instead of price.

If money is not an issue Fergie, don't overlook the BMW gear. It is hideously expensive ($2K plus for a full suit) but I am told by owners that it is very&nbsp;good. See Henry at Lifestyle BMW in Newmarket.:cool:

Motu
10th July 2003, 13:55
Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
or the markup! :Oops:

my bad :o

Too right - I got my Spidi half price at a sale,I bet they weren't losing any money on it!

bikerboy
10th July 2003, 21:02
:o I've got a bmw leather suit. Beautifully made, soft well armoured and totally waterproof.

If price is no object, definately worth a consideration. They also have one of the most comprehensive size ranges I've ever seen.
:)
They also look more low key so there is no risk of some people condeming you for wearing a flashy race suit if you're not up to Haga-esque riding abilities.

( mine was a gift):rockon:

Dave
11th July 2003, 19:09
Had a call today from someone selling a set of foggy replica dianese leathers for $1500.
Anyone interested pm me.

scumdog
12th July 2003, 01:39
My 2-cents worth, I wear leather 90% of the time, hope never to test its road-rash proof however it is comfortable and reasonably weather-proof - if you keep it "dressed" with you favourite stuff (I use Dubbin, - but only 'cause I got a big tin free), when the rain is steady and/or heavy I put on "Warehouse" water -proof leggings, (elastic at waist and cuffs) also put on rubber overboots and a recoated old "Drizabone" type coat I got off a dead guy, this combo has kept me real dry for at least 2hrs plus of driving heavy rain. Hope this helps, Scumdog

Peter Walden
15th July 2003, 20:33
Lots of opinions to choose from here. I've always used leathers but recently saw the light.... The new synthetic suits are the only way to go for winter riding..
Mt Eden M/c have just started selling a new range of suits from europe(?) called Fieldsheer(?) They look really good and Mike will see you right...( He's not a bad guy for a bastard motorcycle shop owner! )
Go an see Mike, He will do you a good deal on this gear or Spool brand gear or some old stock KBC suits he has..

Motormail has a very good range but I feel their good gear is normally at TOP prices.. just a personal opinion

SPman
15th July 2003, 23:40
Originally posted by scumdog
.....and a recoated old "Drizabone" type coat I got off a dead guy,&nbsp;

Was he alive at the time?&nbsp; :eek::eek:

What?
16th July 2003, 06:47
It's cold and it's wet and I am going to Hamilton. It is (apparently) international Ride To Work day. So I will wear my riding gear. ALL of it:eek:

wkid_one
16th July 2003, 08:11
I am much the same as everyone.&nbsp; Having lived in Auckland -&nbsp;I had the luxury of being able to wear leathers the majority of the year - however now being back down in Wellington I love my synthetic gear at this time of year.&nbsp; I find it easier to chcuk the syn's on than leathers as you don't need to worry about thermals under the gear like you do in Wellington in winter.&nbsp; I truely feel sorry for winter riders further south....

Having had a good off in synthetic gear March last year (Technic Jacket, Spidi Trou), I can attest to both the impact and abrasion qualities of them.&nbsp; Had I not been wearing the trou (Spidi news' plastic cup knee armour), I would have busted my knee rather than just bruised it, and had I&nbsp;not been wearing the jacket, I would have come off a lot worse than a dislocated shoulder.

Haven't yet tested the leathers like that, and quite frankly don't intend to.&nbsp; I do feel tho, if you are going to be spending extended time on the track (open days/track time) or really pushing on the road - leathers are best - if not just for the freedom of movement than the 'skid' factors....winter synthetic gear can be a bit cumbersome.

bgd
17th July 2003, 22:29
I have a set of perforated leathers (Wolf) which I wear all year round (130km round trip commute). They can get a bit warm in our current weather (30s) if I'm not moving, but it's no too bad. In the wet I just pull on some cheap waterproofs (not always in time). Over the winter I have a heated jacket which keeps me as warm as toast.

Went down the leather route because I wanted all the protection I could get.

-

fergie
18th July 2003, 10:52
wow! 130 k round trip, that's dedication!.

my riding gear purchase fund has just taken a pounding due to the purchase of a new front tyre and a speedo cable, but i'll get there eventually.

Duke of Rogan
18th July 2003, 11:03
I am hoping to purchase some new gear fesh off the boat, from an outfit called "Fieldsheer".
I am told this brand is new to NZ.

checkout:
http://www.fieldsheer.com/

stay tuned, I'll let you know how it is...

fergie
18th July 2003, 11:15
nice stuff, are they mail order or will they have a kiwi agent?

i liked the look of the mach 2 jacket.

keep us informed

thanks

ferg

Duke of Rogan
18th July 2003, 11:21
there will be a NZ agent in Auckland for it very soon, and they have promised to let me be the first guy if I want it.

I will probabably go for the synthetic stuff (technical outerwear), specifically the X-Pack Jacket (zip off back-pack) and XP Tech pants.

stay tuned, hope to get it today!

Duke of Rogan
18th July 2003, 17:05
dammit! :angry2:
the bloody importer only brought in sizes medium and larger of the FieldSheer gear, and I require S or even XS, so there ends that plan (unless I buy online - which I won't)

anyway, Mt Eden m/c's has in stock a few of the Field Sheer XP-Tech jacket and pants, and he will be getting in the X-Pack jacket and some lighter pants (only in medium or larger ocs of stupid importer)

Mike there says the retail price for jacket will be $449 and pants $369, and he will do a package deal (I was going to get kitted for about $720 as a special deal :( )

so, looks like I'll settle for whatever I get that fits... (and I'm not buying ladies stuff thanks)

Duke of Rogan
21st July 2003, 14:38
3rd post in a row in the same thread! am I talking to myself?

anyway, I bought a Spidi "Ergo" jacket from Motomail.
was on their "reduced to clear" rack, and I got another $100 off just by asking nicely. (was $995 down to $695!)

if you've read my latest thread, I got it dirty on its first ride :angry2:
now I'll probably need to sell it to pay for bike repairs :(

Fergie, if yor are a not-so-big bloke like myself, Motomail have another Spidi synthetic jacket on the end-of-line rack, size S. same price, although you may have to ask for the extra $100 off.

fergie
21st July 2003, 15:24
thanks duke, will get my arse down to motomail on my next day off.(roll on friday)

Blackbird
21st July 2003, 19:59
I bought a Teknics cordura jacket about 2 years ago and it leaks in heavy rain.&nbsp; A friend bought one recently and that leaks too, so I'd say on balance that there is a problem with them. It's beautifully warm and very comfortable though, so just sling a plastic jacket over the top if the weather is really crap.

&nbsp;:done:

Marmoot
21st July 2003, 22:38
I still think Spidi NT is the best all-weather gear.
I just wished I got one.

What?
22nd July 2003, 07:02
Originally posted by Blackbird
I bought a Teknics cordura jacket about 2 years ago and it leaks in heavy rain.&nbsp; A friend bought one recently and that leaks too, ... so just sling a plastic jacket over the top if the weather is really crap.

Apparently this is considered to be conventional wisdom in Europe. Cordura is great stuff, but has its' limits.:eek:

aff-man
22nd July 2003, 10:10
I just got the HJC sport cordura stuff jacket and pants it pissed on me on friday and i didn't even feel a drop of water. I really hope it doesn't leak after a while like your guys but for now i'm warm and dry.

wkid_one
22nd July 2003, 13:02
As with any waterproof gear - looking after it is important.....how it has been cared for is going to determine how waterproof it remains.

SPman
22nd July 2003, 19:15
I got some Nazram gear when it first came out and, while being reasonably w/proof for light rain etc,but when the heavens open and your're looking around for Noahs Ark, even with 2 pairs of Warehouse waterproofs underneath - youll get soaked. The only thing that keeps me dry on the bike (and everywhere else) is my Wilderness, triple layer Reflex, mountaineering jacket. Cost $500, 10 yrs ago - and worth it.

Pickle
22nd July 2003, 22:01
Anyone else tried the new Spool gear?

My wife uses a Spool jacket whilst commuting, waterproof, warm good body armour &amp; OK for adventure riding. Cost wise they are very competitive.

As Wkid says if you are going fast or doing track days then you cant beat leathers, i can swear by them as have crash tested leathers at more than 180ks &amp; walked away.

wkid_one
23rd July 2003, 16:39
Some advice - you want as many adjusters as possble - coz you want the armour to be hard up against your body (ie no gap), as not having this can actually increase the injuries in the case of a fall.....this is especially important in Auckland when you tend to ride WITHOUT the lining - so try the jacket on in the store without the lining and make sure it fits snug.&nbsp; Also make sure the jacket fits snugly around the neck - it can be 100% waterproof - but you can still get water running off your helmet etc and running down your neck.

Leathers vary in price - consider looking to the UK - where their market can support lower prices through increased volume.&nbsp; You can get custom made (eg www.tigerangel.com.au (http://www.tigerangel.com.au)) but it is expensive.

Synthetic - Any gear needs to be looked after as I said before to maintain it water repellance (is that a word? is it now) - DON"T wash with detergents/soap - go to a Camping Store and get a sports wash designed especially for waterproof gear and a re-waterproofinh agent to apply after you have cleaned it...

If you are spending the money - leathers are the best - yes they look poncy - but there is a reason why the top riders trust their backsides to leather (other than aerodynamics) - you never see a cow with gravel rash do you?

Shit - that looks like I made some sense - I feel giddy now! better go lie down.

SPman
23rd July 2003, 18:00
If you use the correct detergent, you shouldn't have to reproof it. The Cordura gear relies on a Gortex layer,&nbsp;normally,for its waterproofness.

Gortex and its ilk, rely on being clean for its effectiveness.As long as the pores of the fibre are clean and free of dirt, it will work as effectively as it can.....:)