PDA

View Full Version : Farking boy racers

Winter
21st May 2007, 13:01
I live on a nice quiet street, yet these fuckers seem to think tis cool to come and tear up the tarmarc outside my house. Practise their burnouts and handbrake skids in some heap of shit car.

Nearly every time I see a car I jump on my bike follow it untill I've got its make model color and rego firmly implanted in my head, then do the *555 thing.

I've lost count.

Why cant they just crash into that lampost and die?

MisterD
21st May 2007, 13:06
Stinger (http://www.securityprousa.com/noname52.html)....or make your own, doesn't look like it'd be to difficult

Winter
21st May 2007, 13:10
Yeah I've dreamed of doing that. At my old place even went as far as scoping out the best place to do it with quick routes out to safety. The thing is you need to make sure nothings left there, as the old lady living next to me doesn't need her tyres spiked.

GurlRacer
21st May 2007, 13:20
I've been trying to fight this battle for ages, considering I'm more involved with the performance car scene (Car enthusiasts) than the bike scene. Unfortunately, these young blokes, have no where else to go. With the Illegal Drag and Street Racing Amendment Bill, the cops snap them everytime. So what happens? They bite back. By doing this, it is a game to them, trying to run from the cops and laughing at the old people coming out and waving their fingers at them.

Unfortunately, car enthusiasts are often placed into the same bracket as Boy Racers, and we're often tarred with the same brush, regardless of circumstance. All these young boys are asking for (boy racers), is somewhere that they can go to do burnouts, have a race, in a safe and controlled enviroment. Perhaps get some tips about their car, eg: why cutting springs are so dangerous. Both, you and I know why.. well, I hope you do, it's just pure stupidity, but for these young boys, they do not know. They are asking for help.

The more you fight against them, the more they fight against you. Try and work together with them, and you may see a change. I have. Because I don't believe in racing on the streets, or doing burnouts in residential areas, and instead of going off my nut @ them, I gave them an alternative. I have noticed a big change in attitude. At school, I am still the "Gurl Racer" but I'm apprently, so much "cooler" - go figure. They still give me sh!t about my lil Mivec, but their VTEC isn't much better :laugh: They no longer wish to race, coz they know they'll have me after them like a bunch of savage dogs :P

MSTRS
21st May 2007, 13:29
.....they'll have me after them like a bunch of savage dogs :P

You scary.
Me - wonder why you not at school...or are you pinching their bandwidth on your laptop?:Pokey:

Hitcher
21st May 2007, 13:34
We were all young once. I wish it to be known that the current generation of "boy racers" does not hold the patent on mind-numbing stupidity. But they do have significantly more available horsepower and better in-car stereos that folks like me who grew up in the Flintstone era.

MSTRS
21st May 2007, 13:37
We were all young once. I wish it to be known that the current generation of "boy racers" does not hold the patent on mind-numbing stupidity. But they do have significantly more available horsepower and better in-car stereos that folks like me who grew up in the Flintstone era.

Yup. Can you say "Humber 80' ....
Oh how we dreamed of an Anglia 105E with a 1600 Cortina crossflow engine....

GurlRacer
21st May 2007, 13:38
You scary.
Me - wonder why you not at school...or are you pinching their bandwidth on your laptop?:Pokey:

:laugh: Me = sick with flu *mumbles.. stupid flu jab*

Hitcher - Couldn't agree more. The problem lies in that the cars are smarter than the boys... :laugh: Cars are a part of Kiwi culture. However, you get idiots on bikes too. Like I did the other day, and chased him to he stopped, oops, he looked a bit scared.. his pillion had already gotten off the bike and ran up the driveway before I got out of my car :laugh:

yod
21st May 2007, 13:43

ditto the sentiment - but i wasn't quite flintstone era, we had Crapis, Puscorts, Cortinas, ScAvengers, Angleboxes, RX2s, 3s, etc - there weren't many old, cheap jappas around in the mid 80's -the best bit for us (and the most dangerous for the rest of the country) was that we could have our full licence at 15 years old....maniacal!!

James Deuce
21st May 2007, 13:45
I have no sympathy. They went from being stupid lads and ladettes to murderous scum the day they started pouring diesel on downhill off camber corners on Dowse Dr so they can "drift" their knackered CRXs at 2am and 7200rpm.

You're a car person GurlRacer so maybe you wouldn't understand that diesel in an off camber corner at 6:30am when it is dark is a 100% guaranteed accident for a motorcycle.

They went from being "cutesy" little teenagers with 300HP cars to unbelievably stupid dickheads when they started using the blind crest at the top of Dowse Dr as a launching ramp. One idiot took out a transformer by landing on top of it.

I don't care what they want. I want them locked up and castrated.

MSTRS
21st May 2007, 13:49
I have no sympathy. They went from being stupid lads and ladettes to murderous scum the day they started pouring diesel on downhill off camber corners on Dowse Dr so they can "drift" their knackered CRXs at 2am and 7200rpm.

You're a car person GurlRacer so maybe you wouldn't understand that diesel in an off camber corner at 6:30am when it is dark is a 100% guaranteed accident for a motorcycle.

They went from being "cutesy" little teenagers with 300HP cars to unbelievably stupid dickheads when they started using the blind crest at the top of Dowse Dr as a launching ramp. One idiot took out a transformer by landing on top of it.

Agreed Jim. BUT....Gurlracer does understand the problems they can cause. It's a good thing she is working on them from the inside - better luck to her than to all the laws against them eh??

Winter

We'd get along just fine.

You should be my neighbor.

Trudes
I was discussing this kind of thing last night with my other half after seeing on the news about that young fella who was killed at "illegal drag race".
I remember years ago when I lived in Hamilton, the trouble with 'car enthusiasts/boy racers' hooning the main street in Hamilton and just about killing pissed pedestrians. I remember at the time discussions on closing off part of the airport once a week (like a Friday night or something) for an hour or so and let them drive their cars around there, i.e controlled environment, fire brigade present etc. I think something like this would benefit everyone, then there can be no excuses of 'but there's nowhere we can legally hoon about and shit'.
I can't remember leaving a track day on my bike feeling like I needed to then ride home like a cock at excessive speeds, I'd got it out of my system on the track.

Kwaka14
21st May 2007, 13:55
I've often wondered whether Z nails would be a cheap deterrent to the boy racers down my road, but I don't want to cause an accident further down the track.....

James Deuce
21st May 2007, 13:58
We'd get along just fine.

You should be my neighbor.

You kids GET OFF MY LAWN!

Swoop
21st May 2007, 14:00
The location where the "individual" was killed, is riddled with cameras. I look forward to seeing the footage on the six o'clock news...

tri boy
21st May 2007, 14:35
The only difference between these 20 somethings and some of us older ones is........THE CANE!!
We learnt to kick up shit BUT we understood consequences.
These blokes unfortunately will probably never understand it.
BRING BACK THE CANE!!!!!! :shit: :shit: :shit: :spanking: :spanking: :spanking: :spanking:

Winter
21st May 2007, 14:54
The only difference between these 20 somethings and some of us older ones is........THE CANE!!
BRING BACK THE CANE!!!!!! :shit: :shit: :shit: :spanking: :spanking: :spanking: :spanking:

Yeah. Give em a caning. I agree. Public beheadings are good to.

If seeing your mates head on a pike after he robbed some old lady is not a good deterrent then I don't know what is.

tri boy
21st May 2007, 15:17
Yeah. Give em a caning. I agree. Public beheadings are good to.

If seeing your mates head on a pike after he robbed some old lady is not a good deterrent then I don't know what is.

Mate, your either taking the piss, or are struggling to tell the difference between corporal punishment and the slightly more serious capital form.:shutup:
PLEASE...do tell, which is it. I need a bloody good laugh on a sleazy, grey winters day.

Winter
21st May 2007, 15:22
I seriously believe corporal punishment should be brought back.

The death penalty is another issue, and I'm definatly not saying lets kill all the boy racers because their cars are too loud, but simply that a good, solid fear of good solid consequences would do wonders for our country.

McJim
21st May 2007, 15:27
They've no where to go! :rofl:

What the fuck is Meremere drag strip then?

I didn't feel the need to drive a car until I was 32 - and even then it was a 1 litre VW.

I got all my horsepower from my body - Cycling and Triathlon - I was never a petrol head - guess my dick must be too big and I didn't need the compensation. :killingme

Cars are a part of Kiwi Culture? Cars hadn't even been invented when Cook landed!

How many brands of car are currently manufactured in NZ?

tri boy
21st May 2007, 15:41
I seriously believe corporal punishment should be brought back.

It warms my heart to know that such views still exist.
Corporal punishment was never about abuse, intimidation, blah blah blah.......
But it was all about setting boundarys so energetic youth knew when enough was enough (fuck, i sound like me dad).
Try telling that to the PC's, smotherers, and nurturers that never even learnt to play up a bit. I bet Sue and Helen were real little goers. Tui moment.
Sorry got off topic, humble apologies:whocares: :zzzz: .

The Pastor
21st May 2007, 16:30
its a problem.

ALOT of "boy racers" drive drunk/unlicenced/un insured (I don't have insurance either) when doing stupid shit.

If you've had some beers, maybe not over the limit you shouldnt drive like a dick, you should take it easy. I know everytime im off my face and behind the wheel, i keep it well under 120 in the 50 zones becuase of the increased risk.

Providing a place for them to hoon isnt really going to help.

One, it will be expensive and boy racers are poor from the fines.
Two, they will still do stupid shit on a track or burnout pad
Three, They will still drag on the street because its more cooler, dangerous, and ultimitly more exciting.

I don't see a soultion, and I don't like the ones that are going to come into effect.

Winter
21st May 2007, 16:35
its a problem.

ALOT of "boy racers" drive drunk/unlicenced/un insured (I don't have insurance either) when doing stupid shit.

I don't see a soultion, and I don't like the ones that are going to come into effect.

I see lots of solutions, none of which will probably come into effect.

The one I like, which is alreadying coming into effect, is to price everyone off the roads.

Petrol prices *must* increase. We should be paying $4/l for the stuff.

McJim
21st May 2007, 16:36
its a problem.

If you've had some beers, maybe not over the limit you shouldnt drive like a dick, you should take it easy. I know everytime im off my face and behind the wheel, i keep it well under 120 in the 50 zones becuase of the increased risk.

Providing a place for them to hoon isnt really going to help.

One, it will be expensive and boy racers are poor from the fines.
Two, they will still do stupid shit on a track or burnout pad
Three, They will still drag on the street because its more cooler, dangerous, and ultimitly more exciting.

Be careful who you call a dick little boy. It may come back to bite you on the arse.

Luckily I am above all of that and am well aware of how little general respect you have among those who know you. Your opinion of me has therefore got less than no value :rofl:

Keep your red rep to yourself in future and go cry to your mama.:Punk:

The Pastor
21st May 2007, 16:42
I see lots of solutions, none of which will probably come into effect.

The one I like, which is alreadying coming into effect, is to price everyone off the roads.

Petrol prices *must* increase. We should be paying $4/l for the stuff.

WTF MATE. You should go back to india! Get out of my country.

Making laws is not going to change anything. They are already breaking the law. Whats to stop them braking more laws, all it will do is tax the innocent/ not so serrious offenders, like me. So what if I like to drive my car on two wheels, and wheelie my bike.

Ocean1
21st May 2007, 16:49

Feck, your memory's still that good?
They've also got an order of magnitude more traffic.

[QUOTE=Winter;1063634]I seriously believe corporal punishment should be brought back.

It warms my heart to know that such views still exist.
Corporal punishment was never about abuse, intimidation, blah blah blah.......
But it was all about setting boundarys so energetic youth knew when enough was enough

Bit of a theme going on here?

I don't believe you can reasonably correct some of the more extreme behaviour of the sort ascribed to boy racers. The reasonable corrective response for such happens much earlier, when the 6 year old on his pushbike tears up the neighbours garden. Or an 8yo kicks someone in the school playground, or a 12yo nicks lollies from the local shop.

By 18 years old you've got no chance, you've spent the last 10 years teaching them that the cost of breaking the rules is less than the benefits they get from such behaviour. How many of you have heard of kids who lost their licences and then racked up $20K worth of fines only to have that written off in exchange for 20hrs PD... which then isn't done? Not a bad hourly rate. The lesson's just reinforced even further, the consequences are both less than required and delayed such that they're completely ineffectual, and then abandoned altogether. And we’re all surprised at the anti-social behaviour? There may well be a level of response that will correct such behaviour in late adolescence, I doubt it would be seem as either reasonable of legally permissible. What then?

There's one cardinal rule about making rules: unless you both can and will enforce them then don't bother. I'm not an advocate of any particular form of punishment, (as defined by “corrective response”) what works for one won't for another. I would like to think that whatever response is used represents the minimum which will be an effective deterrent, but whatever it is must work. Anything else is bullshit, the individual's responsibility to society is far more important than mere quibbles about which "punishment" is allowed.

In a similar way the time to correct any social pressures or constraints to effective teaching and parenting methods is well before they’re cast into law, before any minority group with poorly understood theories manages to impose their dogma. I think we’ll be living with the consequences of our failures for a while yet.

tri boy
21st May 2007, 16:52
[QUOTE=renegade master;1063747]WTF MATE. You should go back to india!

India with a capital I please.
Two canes for you.:nono: :spanking:

Winter
21st May 2007, 16:55
Making laws is not going to change anything. They are already breaking the law. Whats to stop them braking more laws, all it will do is tax the innocent/ not so serrious offenders, like me. So what if I like to drive my car on two wheels, and wheelie my bike.

I didn't say make laws, I said increase petrol price.

You like to drive your car on two wheels and your bike on one? Fine with me, to be honest. :rockon: Feel free to wheelie down my street anytime - just watch the preschool at the end of the road.

It may cost you a bit more, but the roads will be much less congested, so you can do your two wheeled stunts without putting others at risk.

Buster
21st May 2007, 16:55
Ive always thought compulsory insurance was a good idea. Lets say an 18 year old wants a 300 horsepower car, "sorry mate you dont fit into that insurance class yet, how about this 1.3 auto until your 25?". Throw in a graduated power or cc limit similar to what bikers are subjected to.

Ocean1
21st May 2007, 16:58
Ive always thought compulsory insurance was a good idea. Lets say an 18 year old wants a 300 horsepower car, "sorry mate you dont fit into that insurance class yet, how about this 1.3 auto until your 25?". Throw in a graduated power or cc limit similar to what bikers are subjected to.

Which is exactly what happens in most of the world where they don't have ACC. You can't even buy a "sports" car in the UK without 3rd party personal insurance for it, which the insurance companies won't give to anyone too young or with a "history".

McJim
21st May 2007, 17:11

The compulsory insurance is a good idea - however it is arguable that it is open to abuse and that the insurance companies will charge like wounded bulls.

To an extent this abuse does happen in the UK from a young person's perspective - an 18 year old buying a $3,000, 100hp car will pay about $9,000 for 3rd party insurance or he may be refused insurance at all. If he moves to a 1 Litre car with 65hp he will be able to afford insurance.

Insurance costs were the main reason I never bought a car when I was in the UK until I was over 30. I just couldn't justify the cost when public transport was so regular.

The Pastor
21st May 2007, 17:14
I said increase petrol price.

Well num nuts, you obviously have a clear and in depth understanding of what is going on. I sure don't, mainly becuase im not that smart. One thing I do know is, Im struggling to pay the bills as it is. Even with my bike off the road(i.e., no maintance or petrol related costs). What happens when you increase petrol prices? Let me tell you.

Cost of public trasport goes up.
Cost of goods transport goes up.
Cost of goods go up.
Wages should go up to accomadate price increaces.... (tui)
wages go up, house prices go up.

There is a word for this, i'll give you a hint (you must be a BA student) It starts with I and ends with nflation.

Do you get the idea? and Increase of petrol to $4/l is a good way to stuff everyone up, force people into poverty.

Why make EVERYONE pay for the results of a few dicks in their cars.

Do not run for concil/government/politics.

as I said, I don't see a viable soultion.

bell
21st May 2007, 17:19

Which is exactly what happens in most of the world where they don't have ACC. You can't even buy a "sports" car in the UK without 3rd party personal insurance for it, which the insurance companies won't give to anyone too young or with a "history".

CTP or compulsory third party insurance has been the norm in Australia for quite a while.

IIRC my first car was a 1.4l Corolla and the CTP on that was in the order of $350. Full comprehensive insurance set me back almost $900 at age 18. By 25 it was down to approx $400.

Price these idiot "car enthusiasts" or "boy racers" off the road.

Has anyone got any arguments as to why NZ should not adopt a CTP scheme?

Ocean1
21st May 2007, 17:20
The compulsory insurance is a good idea - however it is arguable that it is open to abuse and that the insurance companies will charge like wounded bulls.

To an extent this abuse does happen in the UK from a young person's perspective - an 18 year old buying a $3,000, 100hp car will pay about $9,000 for 3rd party insurance or he may be refused insurance at all. If he moves to a 1 Litre car with 65hp he will be able to afford insurance.

Insurance costs were the main reason I never bought a car when I was in the UK until I was over 30. I just couldn't justify the cost when public transport was so regular.

Dude they're in a competitive market, they charge that much because that's the real cost of having a kid drive a sports car on the road. They can show you the numbers, only too pleased: 18 year old from this background in that town and this job in this model of such and such a car... painted red?... with non standard wheels? That'll be three thousand quid thanks sir...

I figure aunty helen is undercharging big time.

tri boy
21st May 2007, 17:21
HP restrictions up to a certain age and operator proficiency is an idea i like.
I wouldn't like the insurance companys involved in it because they are low life, bottom feeding, scum.
Anyone caught driving an obviously overpowered car or bike would be disqualified, and um, well........CANNED!

The Pastor
21st May 2007, 17:22
CTP or compulsory third party insurance has been the norm in Australia for quite a while.

IIRC my first car was a 1.4l Corolla and the CTP on that was in the order of $350. Full comprehensive insurance set me back almost $900 at age 18. By 25 it was down to approx $400.

We have acc and its a good system.

Use the search button and find out what people say about the acc system vs compulsy insurance.

McJim
21st May 2007, 17:24
Apparently the kid that killed the pedestrian has:

a) Been released on bail.
b) Is still allowed to drive to work.

What's wrong with this picture?

I need my licence to drive to work therefore I don't drive or ride like a fuckwit asking to have his licence suspended. If I drive or ride like a fuckwit I will be unable to get to work, be unable to receive an income, unable to service my mortgage, feed my children or pay the bills. I will have to accept that I have been a fuckwit and not bleat that I need a special licence etc.

Ocean1
21st May 2007, 17:25

You'd first have to dismantle the relevant bits of ACC, the "no blame" elements in particular would give any private insurance outfit the screeming hebe gebies.

That said I agree, apply the time honoured "user pays" methodology in the correct direction for a change.

yungatart
21st May 2007, 17:26

Use the search button and find out what people say about the acc system vs compulsy insurance.

Umm, ACC only covers people - not property!
Comparing Acc to CTP insurance is like comparing gorillas to Boeing 737's - a futile exercise, indeed!

Ocean1
21st May 2007, 17:29

ACC IS a compulsory insurance system. It just doesn't charge appropriate commercial rates for a given customer. It's essentially the same price for everyone, no matter how bad a risk they are. Guess who gets to pay for that...

The Pastor
21st May 2007, 17:32
The reason for compulsary 3rd party overseas is primeraly for medical care. Do a search.

bell
21st May 2007, 17:33
Comparing Acc to CTP insurance is like comparing gorillas to Boeing 737's - a futile exercise, indeed!

Thanks for enlightening our resident renegade boy on that small point!

Ocean1
21st May 2007, 17:34

Correct, but the cost of 3rd party personal insurance is the main difference between here and offshore. It's a "correct" market driven control on the true cost of the personal damage caused in any incident. That's often many times the cost of property damage in auto accidents, and that's just the cash cost...

tri boy
21st May 2007, 17:36
[QUOTE=McJim;1063816]Apparently the kid that killed the pedestrian has:

a) Been released on bail.
b) Is still allowed to drive to work.

What's wrong with this picture?

Your joking!
Oh for f**k sake.
Did the nice judge fuel his car up also?:shit:

MSTRS
21st May 2007, 17:40
The reason for compulsary 3rd party overseas is primeraly for medical care. Do a search.

So? This is NZ we're talking about. ACC is for personal injury. Third Party Insurance is for damage to other's property. World of difference.

terbang
21st May 2007, 17:44

Huh, someone mention a 737? Boy racer machine if I ever saw one...

bell
21st May 2007, 17:46

What is CTP Insurance?
CTP Insurance indemnifies vehicle owners and drivers who are legally liable for personal injury to any other road user in the event of a motor vehicle accident. Your CTP Insurance will cover you for personal injury claims made against you by other road users such as drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and pillion passengers.
It is a compulsory form of insurance and the CTP premium is included in your registration payment.

http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/media/generic/top.gif (http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/motor/ctp/qld/index.shtml#top)
Does CTP Insurance cover damage to property or other vehicles?
No. CTP Insurance only covers personal injury to another party where a legal liability can be established.

It will not cover injuries to the driver where that driver is at-fault.
Your CTP policy does not give you any entitlement to claim damages for your own injuries. If, as a driver, you are injured and wish to make a claim, you must establish negligence against another owner/driver and claim against their CTP policy.

sinned
21st May 2007, 17:48

CTP insurance is a great idea. As Helen why we won't have it - votes.

peasea
21st May 2007, 18:38

Some of them do.

Or, they crash into their 'starter' and kill them instead, or innocent party-goers, eventually they'll do the gene pool a favour and all drive off a cliff like the car advertisement. (Also depicting a heap of shit.)

The Pastor
21st May 2007, 19:06
I like acc, when I crash I don't have to pay for much. Like when the wasp was in my helmet, Good luck suing a wasp.

bell
21st May 2007, 19:32
I like acc, when I crash I don't have to pay for much. Like when the wasp was in my helmet, Good luck suing a wasp.

Aahhh, the joys of the internet eh? Most of us who don't actually know RM are probably wondering if he is serious or not...without facial expressions, tone of voice, etc we just don't know if he's taking the piss or if he is actually a blundering fool. :innocent:

Winter
21st May 2007, 19:34

Yeah but just say it was a bee and sue the bee keeper.

America - FUCK YEAH!

The Pastor
21st May 2007, 19:36
And what about when somone pours deisl on the road?

Motu
21st May 2007, 19:57

That's exactly why Meremere drag strip is there.In the late '60 the only drag strip was a dirt strip at Kopuku,east of the power station.....I remember going there as a teenager,cars went down the strip in a cloud of dust that got in your eyes.Bikes with dirt tyres used to put in some damn good times.But the hot rod boys wanted to race on a real drag strip - and through their volunteer efforts the Auckland and Waikato regions have had a drag strip for 35 years.The boy racers of that era got off their arse and fucking DID IT THEMSELVES!!!!

tri boy
21st May 2007, 20:06
That's exactly why Meremere drag strip is there.In the late '60 the only drag strip was a dirt strip at Kopuku,east of the power station.....I remember going there as a teenager,cars went down the strip in a cloud of dust that got in your eyes.Bikes with dirt tyres used to put in some damn good times.But the hot rod boys wanted to race on a real drag strip - and through their volunteer efforts the Auckland and Waikato regions have had a drag strip for 35 years.The boy racers of that era got off their arse and fucking DID IT THEMSELVES!!!!

Motu has hit the nail on the head.
Instead of being disruptive little wankers to all and sundry, they only need to liaise with their communities. Most regions would help out if a sensible case and proposal was presented. But don't expect it to be done for them.

yungatart
21st May 2007, 20:20

You may be right, however, a point of difference is that we are not overseas
A CTP insurance, if ever introduced in NZ, would probably not replace ACC, but would cover property damage, much like voluntary third party insurance does now!
You aren't Finnish, by any chance are you?

SPman
21st May 2007, 20:39
So, is any of this new?
Youths - check
Hormones - check
Fast cars (for the era - or horses,wagons,chariots) - check
Reckless disregard for their own, or anyone else's safety. - check
Competitiveness - check
Stupidity - check
Outraged disapproval of their elders and society, society as we know it will vanish up its arse in a puff of smoke unless SOMEBODY does SOMETHING, they scared the children, horses, me, etc etc etc - check

Hmmmm....nothing's changed in 3000 years!

Hitcher
21st May 2007, 20:44
This whole thing is just a massive over-reaction. Just like "global warming". Three deaths (all pedestrians) in as many weeks should not a "crisis" make.

Swoop
21st May 2007, 20:45
At the VERY least, stop these loansharks from being able to give them the $$'s to buy these pieces of crap!
You crash your POS jap crap? Shame, just pay it back at $1.75 per week... NOT!
New plan. "You want to borrow dosh to buy a jap crapper? No problems! Meet our repayment person. His name is Maurice and he will make you squeel like a pig for days if you even miss ONE payment. Capiche?"

...is like comparing gorillas to Boeing 737's
Both have a monkey in charge?:scratch: (sorry terbang! Couldn't resist...)

Aahhh, the joys of the internet eh? Most of us who don't actually know RM are probably wondering if he is serious or not...without facial expressions, tone of voice, etc we just don't know if he's taking the piss or if he is actually a blundering fool. :innocent:
You mean he ISN'T on your ignore list?:nono:

James Deuce
21st May 2007, 21:04
This whole thing is just a massive over-reaction. Just like "global warming". Three deaths (all pedestrians) in as many weeks should not a "crisis" make.

Yes agreed, but if I fall off my bike on diesel on the way to work, there will be "trouble".

SPMAN: I am aware that society won't fall. Just like all the other anti-social dickheads of the last 3000-30000 years they're a minority. Someone removed the right for their elders to kick their arse when they do something stupid though.

Ocean1
21st May 2007, 21:06
So, is any of this new?
Youths - check
Hormones - check
Fast cars (for the era - or horses,wagons,chariots) - check
Reckless disregard for their own, or anyone else's safety. - check
Competitiveness - check
Stupidity - check
Outraged disapproval of their elders and society, society as we know it will vanish up its arse in a puff of smoke unless SOMEBODY does SOMETHING, they scared the children, horses, me, etc etc etc - check

Hmmmm....nothing's changed in 3000 years!

:) "The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of their blood". ~ Logan Pearsall Smith. :laugh:

Don't fly dude. Yes the young have always tested the limits of authority, and yes there's probably always been some mashing of gums and bleating about that. But the authority usualy prevailed, the traditional methods might have been unsavoury to modern sensibilities but they worked.

Also, there's as much difference between a hoon in an Anglia and one in a GTO as there is between a pocket knife and an assault rifle.

geoffm
21st May 2007, 22:08
If th etoerags don't bother with rego and WOF now, or paying their fines. what makes you think they will bother with insurance?
Make all the rules you wan/t, but if the cops and courts can't be bothered enforcing them, don't expect any changes.
G

Stirts
21st May 2007, 22:53
.....Yes the young have always tested the limits of authority, and yes there's probably always been some mashing of gums and bleating about that. But the authority usualy prevailed, the traditional methods might have been unsavoury to modern sensibilities but they worked.

And always will test the limits...problem is "authority" wtf is authority now?...that has been lost in our now lovely touchie feelie PC world that we have created these days.

Gone are the days that you would shit your pants if your father gave you the "look" for being a shithead. Fuckety fuck...mesa sounding old

candor
21st May 2007, 23:57
They used to use my driveway - about five hundred metres Thursday to Saturday nights uninvited and congregate at the top in a turn around near the house. They dumped a couple of cars on neighbouring sections which neighbours had to get towed. They looked pre pubertal.

When I'd go out and yell at them they did not speak, just took their time leaving. So a digger accidentally messed up the driveway. Have not fixed it as no money but the holes made seem to have discouraged their TRESPASSING much better than he private property sign at the gate.

I'm in Lower Hutt but its rural. We sometimes have the street bull lurking on the road just around a blind bend as he seems to get round his fence just there. They still hoon up our street with no regard to the fact goats and a bull lurk.

My thought is for Police to issue spikes or airguns to troubled residents. In Western Australia they have a hoon narc and witness reward system of sorts.

SPman
22nd May 2007, 00:46
In Western Australia they have a hoon narc and witness reward system of sorts.
And with drivers who are worse than NZ drivers, (yes, it is possible) and grouchy old pricks who are the equal of any grouchy old prick worldwide, the chances of mum, spinning the wheels of her Hyundai Accent on a damp patch while taking her kids to school, losing her vehicle for 48 hrs, coz she has been "dobbed in for being a hoon", (whatever a Hoon actually is - it seems to be enshrined in legislation over here), have increased, ten-fold!

Also, there's as much difference between a hoon in an Anglia and one in a GTO as there is between a pocket knife and an assault rifle.
And between a horse & phaeton and an Anglia???????

BigG
22nd May 2007, 07:47
Yup. Can you say "Humber 80' ....
Oh how we dreamed of an Anglia 105E with a 1600 Cortina crossflow engine.... Hey how about an Anglia with Mk2 Jaguar motor in it, leave your body behind.( in those days)

BigG
22nd May 2007, 07:55
There are a lot of hoons on bikes and day aint so young. Just have a look when they take their helmits off.
These young people in their cars arn't looking for a controled and well run venue, its the risk factor and the excitment of getting away from the authoreties, there are some complete idiots as there are on bikes that just stuff it up for the others. Fines meen nothing, they just tick them up and drip feed the Justice department.:whocares:

Ocean1
22nd May 2007, 09:40
And with drivers who are worse than NZ drivers, (yes, it is possible) and grouchy old pricks who are the equal of any grouchy old prick worldwide, the chances of mum, spinning the wheels of her Hyundai Accent on a damp patch while taking her kids to school, losing her vehicle for 48 hrs, coz she has been "dobbed in for being a hoon", (whatever a Hoon actually is - it seems to be enshrined in legislation over here), have increased, ten-fold!

Oh yeah, I spend quite a bit of time in WA, you’re right, the driving skills are abysmal. Perhaps it’s the fact that the roads are all straight. Typical reaction to a corner seems to be “Oh my god, a corner… panic… stop… wtf do I do now”

One difference is immediately evident though: the cops mean business. More corrupt maybe, certainly just as likely to bend the rules to do you if you look sideways at ‘em too long. Serious crime’s probably no better than here either, but the casual and routine transgressions seem to be way less.

I was up near shark bay couple of years ago, launching a boat for a spot of fishing when some dude came ashore with a pink snapper a couple of inches under the limit. He lost his boat, for good. We measured our catch carefully.

And between a horse & phaeton and an Anglia???????

Dude it's a Ford, a ickle baby Ford, weighed less than a horse and weren’t as fast. Make your own analogy.

Patrick
22nd May 2007, 09:51
Unfortunately, these young blokes, have no where else to go. With the Illegal Drag and Street Racing Amendment Bill, the cops snap them everytime. So what happens? They bite back. By doing this, it is a game to them, trying to run from the cops and laughing at the old people coming out and waving their fingers at them.

It has been suggested, many, many, many times before...:zzzz: a purpose built burnout pad, organised racing with emergency services supplied etc etc but... user pays and these tuggers don't want to pay $10 to use it, openly giving those who offer to help th emiddle finger salute and say "we do it when we like, where we like, for free..."

Attitudes like that is what the problem is... help is offered, but flatly (and offensively) refused, so why bother? Harsher penalties will follow soon...

Patrick
22nd May 2007, 09:56

I didn't feel the need to drive a car until I was 32 - and even then it was a 1 litre VW.

I got all my horsepower from my body - Cycling and Triathlon - I was never a petrol head - guess my dick must be too big and I didn't need the compensation. :killingme

Cars are a part of Kiwi Culture? Cars hadn't even been invented when Cook landed!

Must spread more love... Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

Patrick
22nd May 2007, 10:07
So, is any of this new?
Fast cars (for the era - or horses,wagons,chariots) -

Mitsi Chariots??? Fast cars??? Huh???

Patrick
22nd May 2007, 10:13
, the chances of mum, spinning the wheels of her Hyundai Accent on a damp patch while taking her kids to school, losing her vehicle for 48 hrs, coz she has been "dobbed in for being a hoon", (whatever a Hoon actually is - it seems to be enshrined in legislation over here), have increased, ten-fold!

I feel a sneeze coming on.... Ah...ahhhh.....aaahhhhhh....BULLSHIT!!!!!!!

Two words... "sustained' and "deliberate"....

Mum doing a little skiddie on her hillstart does not and never has applied...

slinky
22nd May 2007, 10:31
Topic still on compulsary insurance? cudn't be bothered reading the whole thing.
that won't physically stop them driving the cars.
its just another law to be broken.

Grahameeboy
22nd May 2007, 10:40
It has been suggested, many, many, many times before...:zzzz: a purpose built burnout pad, organised racing with emergency services supplied etc etc but... user pays and these tuggers don't want to pay $10 to use it, openly giving those who offer to help th emiddle finger salute and say "we do it when we like, where we like, for free..."

Attitudes like that is what the problem is... help is offered, but flatly (and offensively) refused, so why bother? Harsher penalties will follow soon...

I guess in some ways we are not so innocent.....we are just able to enjoy our bikes on the road....I mean we bomb along everywhere, overtaking cars.

These guys just want to enjoy what they love like we do and although they are wrong, they end up finding places where they can do their stuff but it affects other people whereas what we do does not so much.

With all these car parks...Sylvia Park being one....how about organised nights...okay, it's a car park but better than elsewhere............

Just my sixpence worth

MisterD
22nd May 2007, 11:11
Topic still on compulsary insurance? cudn't be bothered reading the whole thing.
that won't physically stop them driving the cars.
its just another law to be broken.

Well if it was run like the uk...no insurance, no rego followed by no rego, no car - it's crushed. That'll physically stop em.

The Pastor
22nd May 2007, 12:52
Boy racers love one thing just as much as burnouts, braking the law. They love bottling cops and fighting the system. Laws arnt going to stop them. Guns Will. Shoot the basterds.

Grahameeboy
22nd May 2007, 12:57
Boy racers love one thing just as much as burnouts, braking the law. They love bottling cops and fighting the system. Laws arnt going to stop them. Guns Will. Shoot the basterds.

Yeah lets shoot bikers too......don't they love to speed so breaking the Law.........look shut up will you, it's my turn to speak......

imdying
22nd May 2007, 13:37
Haven't read the thread, but compulsory insurance scares me. I've never seen it applied in a country where the insurance companies didn't use it as an excuse to rape the consumers.

I also have a desire to own a number of different bikes, I can see compulsory insurance making that an even harder goal.

I'm not sure how compulsory insurance would help? I mean, you need a license (in theory) to drive a car, but that doesn't seem to stop them... I admit that's an assumptution, but the number of boy racers the news report with 'over $10000 in fines', I find it hard to believe they've clocked up that many and still have a license.

All it will do is hurt society collectively, which is ironic given the opposite it supposed to happen. The only thing that will get boy racers off the road is taking their cars. Sure they'll get new cars, but eventually they'll run out of money, so at least they'll only be in cheap slow shit boxes and not 300hp 4wd race cars.

Ocean1
22nd May 2007, 14:13
Haven't read the thread, but compulsory insurance scares me. I've never seen it applied in a country where the insurance companies didn't use it as an excuse to rape the consumers.

I also have a desire to own a number of different bikes, I can see compulsory insurance making that an even harder goal.

I'm not sure how compulsory insurance would help? I mean, you need a license (in theory) to drive a car, but that doesn't seem to stop them... I admit that's an assumptution, but the number of boy racers the news report with 'over $10000 in fines', I find it hard to believe they've clocked up that many and still have a license.

All it will do is hurt society collectively, which is ironic given the opposite it supposed to happen. The only thing that will get boy racers off the road is taking their cars. Sure they'll get new cars, but eventually they'll run out of money, so at least they'll only be in cheap slow shit boxes and not 300hp 4wd race cars.

Dude the reason overseas personal 3rd part insurance is so expensive isn't because the insurance outfits are creaming it, that's what it genuinely costs to indulge in any given particular activity. The fact that we pay much less in ACC levies is due entirely to the completely artificial market our government imposes. If you doubt the costs really are that high spend some time at your local ED.

Of course any reasonable law will work only if it's effectively enforced. We seem to be failing at enforcement and generating more and more complex legislation to compensate. As has been noted: make the consequences such that the behaviour will improve, anything else is "retaliation", not "correction".

imdying
22nd May 2007, 14:59
Dude the reason overseas personal 3rd part insurance is so expensive isn't because the insurance outfits are creaming it, that's what it genuinely costs to indulge in any given particular activity. The fact that we pay much less in ACC levies is due entirely to the completely artificial market our government imposes. If you doubt the costs really are that high spend some time at your local ED.I'm thick, could you please reiterate your point for me :( Are you saying that you think the cost of someone insuring their vehicle for 3rd party cover will remain the same amount even if it becomes compulsory?

Ocean1
22nd May 2007, 15:27
I'm thick, could you please reiterate your point for me :( Are you saying that you think the cost of someone insuring their vehicle for 3rd party cover will remain the same amount even if it becomes compulsory?

Talking about personal insurance, the cost of the risk of damage to people.
The true cost of this risk has no relationship to what you pay by way of ACC coverage when you register a vehicle. The current government mandated ACC scheme is hugely inequitable, it insures an idiot in a WRX at the same cost as a nana in a Corolla. Fact is even the total ACC take from vehicle registration is nowhere near enough to cover automotive related medical costs. The difference is made up from corporate ACC charges and the general health budget.

Typical socialist dogma, there’s no point in taxing those who can’t pay so they tax those who can. Creates an an artificial market, as a consequences there's no link between poor behaviour and it's cost. Or good behaviour and it's rewards for that matter.

imdying
22nd May 2007, 15:56
So we should get rid of ACC cover for vehicle related accidents as well as bringing in 3rd party cover? And remove the ACC levy from out registration?

Ocean1
22nd May 2007, 16:27
So we should get rid of ACC cover for vehicle related accidents as well as bringing in 3rd party cover? And remove the ACC levy from out registration?

Should? First decide who should pay for the cost of poor behaviour, work the rest out yourself.

imdying
22nd May 2007, 16:29
I've seen no figures to support a decision by myself either way, I'm just asking for your opinion.

Ocean1
22nd May 2007, 16:40
I believe there's a middle ground, where there's room for private personal insurance for those who want or need it, professional drivers come to mind, they've got a higher exposure to risk which perhaps the general public shouldn't be expected to pay for. I also think a state owned or regulated insurance option has a place, both in setting a minimum basic standard and in keeping the private suppliers honest. Ethically whatever systems are made available they should more accurately place the costs of the risk of personal harm where it belongs.

SPman
22nd May 2007, 16:54
I feel a sneeze coming on.... Ah...ahhhh.....aaahhhhhh....BULLSHIT!!!!!!!

Two words... "sustained' and "deliberate"....

Mum doing a little skiddie on her hillstart does not and never has applied...
Yes, but when it comes to bitter old prick looking out his windows at road, a car spinning its tyres is sure fire evidence of a HOON, whatever the circumstances and they're on the phone faster than a speeding Mitsi Chariot!

bell
22nd May 2007, 19:25
Of course any reasonable law will work only if it's effectively enforced. We seem to be failing at enforcement and generating more and more complex legislation to compensate. As has been noted: make the consequences such that the behaviour will improve, anything else is "retaliation", not "correction".

This seems to be step in the right direction. Long-ish article, but relevant.

Mind you, I'd happily watch as these idiots were made to start the compactor that contains their vehicles. Oh yes, there would be tears and by golly, it'd be bloody sweet justice.

Hundreds of boy-racer cars seized

5:00AM Tuesday May 22, 2007
By Elizabeth Binning (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/author/index.cfm?a_id=163) and Juliet Rowan (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/author/index.cfm?a_id=101)

Scores of cars are being taken off the road from boy-racer hotspots as police crack down on illegal street racing.
Storage depots in the boy-racing meccas of South Auckland, Tauranga and Christchurch are crammed with cars impounded in swoops by police and other authorities.
South Auckland police say they have been seizing more than 50 cars a week since tougher legislation came into effect in May 2003.
The law gives police the power to automatically impound cars for 28 days if they are being driven with unnecessary speed or acceleration or are doing burnouts.
In the past week, Counties-Manukau police seized 76 vehicles. Most were not impounded under the 2003 legislation, but police say cars are often caught during the crackdown on boy-racers.
In Canterbury, police seized 30 vehicles during an operation on Friday and Saturday nights, and in Tauranga, police have made 798 prosecutions for "boy-racer offences" since January 2005.
The Waitemata police district, which covers North Shore, Henderson and Rodney, has impounded 933 vehicles - 46 a week - this year.
Police say the legislation is working well, despite criticism after the death of 20-year-old Scott Finn at an illegal car race in Tauranga on Saturday that not enough is being done.
Sergeant Stu Britnell, the officer in charge of vehicle impounding in Counties-Manukau, said that "up until last Sunday, we had 965 towed in this year".
Most cars were seized from people who drove while forbidden, disqualified or suspended.
Of the 76 vehicles impounded in the week to yesterday, only three were involved in illegal boy-racing.
But Mr Britnell said the law changes had given police more flexibility in getting people off the roads for offences less serious than the previous options of reckless or careless driving.
It also helped to make cars roadworthy, as drivers took necessary remedial action after having to "buy" their car out of the impound yard, he said.
Some cars had been taken in more than once and in one case, a family car had been impounded four times, Mr Britnell said.
Of the prosecutions in Tauranga, 274 were for unauthorised street or drag races, or "sustained loss of traction" - skids and burnouts.
More than 300 vehicles have been impounded.
A bylaw imposing rolling street curfews is expected to be adopted in Tauranga after the weekend death.
Bay of Plenty road policing manager Inspector Kevin Taylor said the boy-racer legislation was "a very effective tool" that police used often.
But they also supported the introduction of bylaws such as that being proposed in Tauranga.
"Under the boy-racer legislation, we have to wait until they've committed an offence, so we play cat and mouse," Mr Taylor said.
"With the bylaws restricting access to a place, we don't have to wait for them to do anything wrong - just being there is a breach of the rules and we can move them on."
Of the cars seized in Canterbury over the weekend, 26 were taken because of unpaid fines and the rest were involved in boy-racer offences.
Canterbury's road policing manager, Inspector Derek Erasmus, said his district had changed its focus on seizing cars in the past few months.
Instead of taking them for 28 days under boy-racer legislation, police took bailiffs with them on operations and if drivers had any outstanding court fines their cars were taken by the courts and later sold.
"A vehicle that's been seized for unpaid fines might also have been subject to a boy-racer offence, but we bow to the court and say, 'While we can seize this car for 28 days, we are going to let you have it because you are going to take it and sell it'."
Mr Erasmus said police had seized 200 cars for the courts in the past couple of months. That compared with 200 last year.
The head of Tauranga's strategic traffic unit, Senior Sergeant Ian Campion, said boy-racers would continue to feel the heat from police as long as they engaged in illegal behaviour. "There will be no let-up by police on this group of people."
He supported the bylaw, saying police needed more power than the boy-racer legislation gave them.
"The legislation is a good tool to use. We just need more tools in our toolbox."

...and another one re CTP insurance: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4068676a10.html?source=RSStopstories_20070522

SPman
23rd May 2007, 18:30
I like this take on it -

"See I think that young men and speed have always been a problem, whether it was cars, horses, competitive hot air balloon racing – see there is a little risk taking circuit inbuilt within us all that forces us as a species to take risks, that’s why we are at the top of the evolutionary tree, it is within our nature to take risks, and we take the most amount of risks when we are young, because that’s what we do as human beings, we make mistakes as teenagers – THAT’S HOW WE LEARN. Now that is in no way a defense for young men to smash up public space or crash or kill people, but it is an explanation of the problem we face, and if we are determined to change the problem we have to understand why it happens. It’s all so painfully simple, and this is where the debate needs to start – with that understanding, not the usual ‘bloody boy racers’ nonsense. Exacerbating this truth of human teenage nature are 5 things:

1: Cheap Cars
Young men can get finance at the drop of a hat, they are sucked into the credit culture right from the beginning, probably following mum and dad into credit card debt. With 80% of the population earning less than $30 000, we are an incredibly low wage society with first world consumer addictions. This culture of debt brings with it loan sharks and things can get real ugly at that level of the debt chain. We want to start turning the issue around, crack down on easy cheap money with inanely high interest rates for teenagers.

2: Access to pop culture
We live in a 24/7 digital world, 8 year old kids can watch the fast and the furious, play computer games and generally desensitize reality. We have to accept the massive influences that can swamp young people, I’m not suggesting we attempt to ban the internet or force censorship, with an on line world, Pandora is well and truly out of the box and has moved down the road, happily married with 12 children. What we need to recognize is that parents have to from a very early age explain the clear difference between reality and fiction, which slides nicely into the third exacerbating factor…

3: Father and Son
Dads need to talk to their sons. They have to talk about how to handle those sudden surges and desires and anger and show their sons through their own behaviour. Fathers have to show their sons how to be men by preparing them for those moments where the brain switches off and the hormones take over.

4: Booze
Another exacerbating factor is our insanely accessible booze culture, the problem isn’t lowering the drinking age to 18, it’s that we now sell booze at every dairy corner and supermarket in the country and we don’t police those venders whatsoever. Every year community groups catch out over half the local venders not asking for age ID when a young person buys booze! We have turned on all the taps of accessibility by liberalizing our alcohol laws to a country with an obvious drinking problem and then can’t understand why our teenagers are drink driving.

5: Police
Which brings me to the final exacerbating factor, Police powers. Clayton Cosgrove, that Labour party Union thug who should be in the National Party (they have Police looking thugs) passed a knee jerk bullshit ‘boy racer’ law giving cops extraordinary powers of judge, jury and executioner. Generally speaking liberal western democracies steer clear of letting the separation of powers merge into one, and the resulting immediate roadside impoundment based on the non-challengeable discretion of the police has nothing whatsoever to do with police chases that end miraculously seconds prior to crashes from spooked teenagers attempting to out run an impoundment, and anyone who says otherwise is a communist.

But all that debate didn’t surface at all from John or Paul last night, they seemed much happier to whip the boy racer debate until it became frothy, neither wanted to understand why boy racers raced, they both wanted to be the voice of angry suburban NZ who are awoken at night to the alpha male muffler mating call of the late night neighborhood tom cats, partly worried it is their daughters they are prowling for, partly worried at what that sound might mean to their property valuations.

Meanwhile, the parents of the teenager killed this week buried their dead son"
Bomber
http://tumeke.blogspot.com/

Grahameeboy
23rd May 2007, 18:44
At end of say we make our own choices in life.

Boy racers do it, so do Bikers.....there is not a lot of difference. Yet here is a thead complaining about the antics of boy racers, like we are angels?

Does not matter how good parenting is, peer pressure is often greater..........but we are really talking about a minority....that is often the way.

I remember posts moaning that the Govt is trying to push Bikers off the road blah blah......seems we are not picked on......

Yes it is sad that this guy died. He knew the risks, like we do riding our bikes...........how many of our parents dissaproved of us when we started riding bikes.....they were not bad parents, we just made our choice.

James Deuce
23rd May 2007, 18:53
Graham. I do NOT spread diesel on a public road. Between Stagecoach and the 2am Sunday morning boys racing between the Western Hutt hills 'burbs on the interconnecting goat tracks there is a layer of diesel and engine oil that makes riding a bike bloody dangerous, especially in a light drizzle. I live on a steep hill road with hairpin corners.

I've yet to see a biker spreading diesel on corners. How come you keep trying to justify that particular little lethal recent addition to the boy racer "arsenal"?

When I was hooning around in cars the emphasis was on fun and beating your mate from a to b. We NEVER considered spreading diesel on a public road as a form of entertainment once.

Hitcher
23rd May 2007, 19:00
It's good to see that the debate in the media has now moved away from boy racers and on to killer buses. That should keep the terminally hysterical wowsers occupied until Queen's Birthday Weekend, unless there's a plague of murderous skateboarders between now and then...

Grahameeboy
23rd May 2007, 19:09
Graham. I do NOT spread diesel on a public road. Between Stagecoach and the 2am Sunday morning boys racing between the Western Hutt hills 'burbs on the interconnecting goat tracks there is a layer of diesel and engine oil that makes riding a bike bloody dangerous, especially in a light drizzle. I live on a steep hill road with hairpin corners.

I've yet to see a biker spreading diesel on corners. How come you keep trying to justify that particular little lethal recent addition to the boy racer "arsenal"?

When I was hooning around in cars the emphasis was on fun and beating your mate from a to b. We NEVER considered spreading diesel on a public road as a form of entertainment once.

Don't mention diesel to me.....

If they are doing that then it is wrong...not saying what they do is right, I was just making a comparison with Bikers who do things that cause a danger to others...it is all relative....here we are giving these guys grief when some of us need to look at our own side.

I was not justifying the diesel thing...where do I say that? Anyway.....

But even trying to beat your mate from A to B was dangerous as well as fun....and like I said we are talking about a minority but the way fun and cars is done is different now....what they do now is no different to what you did..having fun and showing off with your mates........you didn't have computer games then, we do now..............

You are trying to justify what you did as being okay but maybe these guys think the same. Both were and are dangerous.......

Grahameeboy
23rd May 2007, 19:20
It's good to see that the debate in the media has now moved away from boy racers and on to killer buses. That should keep the terminally hysterical wowsers occupied until Queen's Birthday Weekend, unless there's a plague of murderous skateboarders between now and then...

Keeps them off our backs eh?

lb99
23rd May 2007, 19:20
I live on a nice quiet street, yet these fuckers seem to think tis cool to come and tear up the tarmarc outside my house. Practise their burnouts and handbrake skids in some heap of shit car.

Nearly every time I see a car I jump on my bike follow it untill I've got its make model color and rego firmly implanted in my head, then do the *555 thing.

I've lost count.

I really am surprised that in all of the posts, no one has mentioned it......

get a hunk of old carpet, a long rope, and a big bag of gib nails.
bang a whole heap of nails through the carpet, put it spikes up on the opposite driveway to yours, tie the rope to it, and pull the carpet across their path as they make their exit, after they run it over, keep pulling it into your garage or something, by the time they all stop it will be hidden- no evidence

or

roll a chopping block (or a stripped car) out into their path, I have seen both used to good effect.

you and th neighbours could block the road with your cars and trap em, call the feds...

Grahameeboy
23rd May 2007, 19:25
I really am surprised that in all of the posts, no one has mentioned it......

get a hunk of old carpet, a long rope, and a big bag of gib nails.
bang a whole heap of nails through the carpet, put it spikes up on the opposite driveway to yours, tie the rope to it, and pull the carpet across their path as they make their exit, after they run it over, keep pulling it into your garage or something, by the time they all stop it will be hidden- no evidence

or

roll a chopping block (or a stripped car) out into their path, I have seen both used to good effect.

you and th neighbours could block the road with your cars and trap em, call the feds...

You have worked this out haven't you..........

Do you know what we did, stopped the buggers, called the Police, driver was arrested.....no more trouble.............simple

James Deuce
23rd May 2007, 19:31
You are trying to justify what you did as being okay but maybe these guys think the same. Both were and are dangerous.......

No I'm not. I'm agreeing with the first premise in SPMAN's latest post.

From my perspective boy racers went from being stupid teenagers (like we all were) to murderous thugs the moment they started making suburban streets dangerous to drive on, long after they'd left. You keep bringing up the "Bikers aren't perfect" credo and lumping us all into the same bucket. We're not. I've never had a ticket or a traffic conviction. I'm not perfect but I don't go looking for trouble. I don't advocate mirror removals, I don't advocate road rage of any kind.

As I said I don't see bikers spreading any sort of friction reduction fluid on the road. There's a big difference between over taking a dawdling 90 km/hr box inhabitant at 120 on a bike, to spreading litres of diesel on a corner a couple of hours before Mums start taking kids to school on a slightly damp morning.

The Pastor
23rd May 2007, 19:32
you cant and it won't be fixed. Ever.

Untill its "gay" to be a boy ricer.

Grahameeboy
23rd May 2007, 19:38
No I'm not. I'm agreeing with the first premise in SPMAN's latest post.

From my perspective boy racers went from being stupid teenagers (like we all were) to murderous thugs the moment they started making suburban streets dangerous to drive on, long after they'd left. You keep bringing up the "Bikers aren't perfect" credo and lumping us all into the same bucket. We're not. I've never had a ticket or a traffic conviction. I'm not perfect but I don't go looking for trouble. I don't advocate mirror removals, I don't advocate road rage of any kind.

As I said I don't see bikers spreading any sort of friction reduction fluid on the road. There's a big difference between over taking a dawdling 90 km/hr box inhabitant at 120 on a bike, to spreading litres of diesel on a corner a couple of hours before Mums start taking kids to school on a slightly damp morning.

I am not lumping into the same bucket, just saying that Bikers are not perfect and do dangerous stuff, not saying as bad as spearding diesel.

I agree with the diesel spreading.

Think it a bit extreme about 'Murdererus'...like you say they are stupid teenagers who may not know what they leave behind is dangerous just as we, when younger did not think that we did stupid stuff that was dangerous at the time...that's what stupider is all about

Hitcher
23rd May 2007, 19:42

Not true. A wedge placed beneath your shorter leg will remedy the cant. It's simple when one knows how.

McJim
23rd May 2007, 19:45
Every cloud has a silver lining - I am grateful that it looks as though the gubbermint will introduce mandatory 3rd Party Insurance like the rest of the civilized world.

All we need now is for some more Jail space so they can introduce a custodial service for people caught without insurance (Sick of hearing about criminal offences involving motor vehicles not being criminal offences over here!)

In fact nah - fuckit - if they don't have insurance chuck 'em in 7 deep in a 1 man cell.

I agree that compulsory 3rd Party insurance will not stop the boy racer culture but it WILL fix my bike next time some daft bastard decides the rules of the road don't apply to them.

The Pastor
23rd May 2007, 19:49
I agree that compulsory 3rd Party insurance will not stop the boy racer culture but it WILL fix my bike next time some daft bastard decides the rules of the road don't apply to them.

As long as it's not a boy ricer eh?

Grahameeboy
23rd May 2007, 19:52
Every cloud has a silver lining - I am grateful that it looks as though the gubbermint will introduce mandatory 3rd Party Insurance like the rest of the civilized world.

All we need now is for some more Jail space so they can introduce a custodial service for people caught without insurance (Sick of hearing about criminal offences involving motor vehicles not being criminal offences over here!)

In fact nah - fuckit - if they don't have insurance chuck 'em in 7 deep in a 1 man cell.

I agree that compulsory TP Insurance will cover the cost of daft bastards.

Trubs is that Insurers will look closely at suspect 'Boy Racer' accidents so some Boy Racers may ee in breach of their Policy Conditions so will not cover the damage to the poor innocent.

Plus the Govt may need to consider an Insurance Pool to cover uninsured drivers....like the Motor Insurers Bureau in UK which came about when min TP Insurance was brought in in 1974.....

Hitcher
23rd May 2007, 19:55
I suspect that the Gummint will make third-party insurance part of the rego cost, rather than pfaffing around relying on people to acquire their own.

Grahameeboy
23rd May 2007, 20:02
I suspect that the Gummint will make third-party insurance part of the rego cost, rather than pfaffing around relying on people to acquire their own.

Maybe, don't know how it would affect Insurer's and who would run it...maybe like Aussie, however, problem is that Insurance is a small market here and you could not apply it to say Commercial Vehicles.

Maybe when you apply for Insurance you need to show proof of Insurance.....if no proof you pay extra on Rego.....

terbang
23rd May 2007, 20:06
Pity the touchey feeley wasn't around when I was a teen out west. Then the locals (bunch of farmers) just beat the shit out of my mates and I and threatened worse, including burning our cars, if we came back. Message wisely taken.

Ocean1
23rd May 2007, 20:11

Probably. Could wish they didn't, they don't do such things very well. Better perhaps to simply require proof of insurance before issuing the registration. Common enough tactic overseas I believe.

Grahameeboy
23rd May 2007, 20:18
Probably. Could wish they didn't, they don't do such things very well. Better perhaps to simply require proof of insurance before issuing the registration. Common enough tactic overseas I believe.

It is in UK.

In Jersey, you have to show your Insurance Certificate in the window, like you do the Rego and I think an Insurance firm in UK does something similar

jafar
23rd May 2007, 20:57
Maybe, don't know how it would affect Insurer's and who would run it...maybe like Aussie, however, problem is that Insurance is a small market here and you could not apply it to say Commercial Vehicles.

Maybe when you apply for Insurance you need to show proof of Insurance.....if no proof you pay extra on Rego.....

What rot, most if not all commercial vehicles have full insurance as well as public liability etc. More than your average car or motorcycle has.
There is no reason for 3rd party insurance not to be compulsory, if you can't afford it then catch a bus. :angry:

bell
23rd May 2007, 21:00
Trubs is that Insurers will look closely at suspect 'Boy Racer' accidents so some Boy Racers may ee in breach of their Policy Conditions so will not cover the damage to the poor innocent.

Plus the Govt may need to consider an Insurance Pool to cover uninsured drivers....like the Motor Insurers Bureau in UK which came about when min TP Insurance was brought in in 1974.....

In Western Aust they have an Insurance Commission. Seems like they have a fair number of eventualities covered with this. Taken from their blurb in a brochure outlining what CTP is:

The Insurance Commission will:
• manage any claims for personal injury made against you or the driver of your vehicle, on your behalf.
• pay any compensation awarded to the injured person, or the deceased’s dependants.

The Insurance Commission is obliged by law to meet the claims of injured third parties even though the driver or owner whose negligent driving caused the injuries may have breached the warranties and conditions of their CTP policy, or the vehicle does not have current registration (ie. is unlicensed and is therefore uninsured).

If the vehicle is unlicensed or there are breaches of the policy, the Insurance Commission may seek to recover the money paid to the injured party from the uninsured/negligent owner/driver.

When are the warranties and conditions breached?
ALCOHOL…
when the vehicle is driven by or is in the charge of a person with a Blood Alcohol Concentration level that is over the legal limit.
NO DRIVER’S LICENCE…
when the vehicle is driven by a person who does not hold an appropriate and currrent motor driver licence.
UNSAFE …
when the vehicle is being driven in an unsafe or damaged condition.
USED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE
THAN IT WAS LICENSED FOR...
For example, a vehicle registered as a private car cannot be used as a fare-collecting taxi.

Grahameeboy
23rd May 2007, 21:09
What rot, most if not all commercial vehicles have full insurance as well as public liability etc. More than your average car or motorcycle has.
There is no reason for 3rd party insurance not to be compulsory, if you can't afford it then catch a bus. :angry:

I know but when linking to Rego this applies to commercial vehicles too so you need a way to deal with this.

I know most if not all commercial vehicles have full cover. That is not what I was getting at which is why I suggested the showing of Insurance otherwise you pay an extra rego.

I agree with last bit, just raising how Insurance Companies would handle it....I come from UK so believe that Insurance should be compulsory.

MSTRS
23rd May 2007, 21:10
That's excellent, Bell.
But ACC still covers personal injury. Whereas the insurance being 'discussed' in this thread is for property damage.

Grahameeboy
23rd May 2007, 21:13
That's excellent, Bell.
But ACC still covers personal injury. Whereas the insurance being 'discussed' in this thread is for property damage.

Well food for thought but with Compulsory Insurance maybe the ACC should be able to seek recovery (limited) from the negligent drivers Insurance..........in UK, the Hospital can recover limited costs from the Insurer, including ambo cost which is a fixed amount.

jafar
23rd May 2007, 21:22
I know but when linking to Rego this applies to commercial vehicles too so you need a way to deal with this.

I know most if not all commercial vehicles have full cover. That is not what I was getting at which is why I suggested the showing of Insurance otherwise you pay an extra rego.

I agree with last bit, just raising how Insurance Companies would handle it....I come from UK so believe that Insurance should be compulsory.

You have answered your own statement, most if not all commercials have full cover so the problem doesn't arise, if they don't have full cover then they will be caught @ rego time as well no problem there.
The problems will come from unlicensed drivers & or unregistered vehicles being involved in crashes & the insurers declining to cover.
Ditto drunks etc.

McJim
23rd May 2007, 21:25
The problems will come from unlicensed drivers & or unregistered vehicles being involved in crashes & the insurers declining to cover.
Ditto drunks etc.

That's what Prisons are for....and the Criminal Injuries compensation Board..which doesn't actually exist in NZ but should for property damage....

jafar
23rd May 2007, 21:37
That's what Prisons are for....and the Criminal Injuries compensation Board..which doesn't actually exist in NZ but should for property damage....

Back to where we started then, the troublesome few getting away with it & leaving the innocent to cover the cost.

Shadows
23rd May 2007, 22:41
Don't get me wrong. I fucking hate boy ricers. They piss me off no end with their bullshit music resonating through my chest cavity at the lights, the diesel that they leave on the roads, their general on-road behaviour. Some of the shit I've seen them doing has been pretty dangerous.... but at the same time a lot of them seem to be reasonably capable drivers who can handle a car better then most of the retards out there.

I would like to see the stats.

How many injuries and deaths are caused by boy ricers in the isolated incidents that get blown out of proportion by the media... and how many are caused by pensioners / drivers of white vans / SUV driving soccer mums / drivers wearing hats / recidivist pissheads / foreign tourists?

Boy ricers are a just small part of a much bigger problem. They are not responsible for the bulk of the road toll. Under 25's do feature more regularly, but remember not all of these are boy ricers. A lot will be kids who never learnt how to control the skid that put them in the wrong place at the wrong time in the first place - something boy ricers learn very early on.

I used to hoon around a lot... (hell, sometimes I still do...) and I know I'm now a better driver for it.

Patrick
24th May 2007, 00:17

Untill its "gay" to be a boy ricer.

All righty then...

IT IS GAY TO BE A BOY RACER.....

Lets start something here......

The Pastor
24th May 2007, 09:33
All righty then...

IT IS GAY TO BE A BOY RACER.....

Lets start something here......

Untill the boy racers think that it is gay to be a dick on the road.......

avgas
24th May 2007, 10:27
I got all my horsepower from my body - Cycling and Triathlon - I was never a petrol head - guess my dick must be too big and I didn't need the compensation.
Nor were bikes then? never mind the fact that some of us kiwis have been riding since bikes became public. But both you and I wern't around when bikes were invented nor cars. So your being a bit single minded about it don't you think.
Never was a petrol head - ride a commuter these days then?????
Cars are a part of Kiwi Culture - just like mobile phones and bikes. Denying that fact of life is like saying that jetboats are an american icon.
Many brands of car stuff is made here, not to mention the 1000's of kiwis that design car stuff overseas. STILLEN, McLaren.........do i need to go on.
Stop comparing your life and imposing it on others. Leave that to the politicians who think riding bikes is dangerous.

The Pastor
24th May 2007, 10:40
Nor were bikes then? never mind the fact that some of us kiwis have been riding since bikes became public. But both you and I wern't around when bikes were invented nor cars. So your being a bit single minded about it don't you think.
Never was a petrol head - ride a commuter these days then?????
Cars are a part of Kiwi Culture - just like mobile phones and bikes. Denying that fact of life is like saying that jetboats are an american icon.
Many brands of car stuff is made here, not to mention the 1000's of kiwis that design car stuff overseas. STILLEN, McLaren.........do i need to go on.
Stop comparing your life and imposing it on others. Leave that to the politicians who think riding bikes is dangerous.

Its a troll mate, no one is that stupid in RL. I fell for it too....

avgas
24th May 2007, 11:10
Its a troll mate, no one is that stupid in RL. I fell for it too....
Yeh i should have picked it up - McJim doesnt excersize ...... ha