PDA

View Full Version : What else sounds like a rattly baffle?

rainman
21st May 2007, 19:51
At the risk of starting a "my GN is falling to bits" trend, here's another thread about, well, my GN falling to bits. Sorry.

My GNs done a bit less than 8000k's, bought new last year, always been serviced on time and all. Over the last week or so I've heard a few odd rattles and clanks, but nothing I could immediately pin down, and quite intermittent. I've been trying to find a pattern or cause, but was not too concerned as I'm aware that GNs can do this sort of thing. :mellow: Over the last few days I've heard a few clattery noises, usually when braking and changing down into a left-hand turn (but not always, and I can't replicate the problem). I suspected the chain, maybe suddenly so loose that it was hitting the guard, but checked that out over the weekend while cleaning and it's OK.

Tonight on the way home, I'd just come around a right hand bend (for a change), braking and changing down to avoid a reversing car, I heard a noise sounding entirely like a rattly baffle - not out of character for a GN either. When I got home I used a screwdriver to check for anything obviously loose down the pipe, and rocked the bike from side to side, but nothing obvious. Sounds fine when idling, or revving a bit in neutral, and she runs well (in fact bloody well since my last service at Colemans), hasn't been stalling or anything like that.

So, my questions are: 1) how do I definitely check the health of my baffle, and 2) what else should I be looking for that might rattle like this? As always, thanks in advance for all the help. :niceone:

Big Dog
21st May 2007, 20:00
Loose nuts.
Loose nuts can be dangerous on bikes.
Seriously though check your mounting bolts are snug on your exhaust.

rainman
21st May 2007, 20:02
Loose nuts.

Good call, hadn't thought of that. I'll add it to my list, thanks.

Big Dog
21st May 2007, 20:10
Good call, hadn't thought of that. I'll add it to my list, thanks.

Also quite common on any bike between first full service and second 8-12,000 kms.

If your really game take the pipes off and tip them up.
When we were kids we used to drop stones in to the exhaust to make the riders scratch their heads.

(I know, a shit of a thing to do but we were 10)

Don't stop there either check the engine mounts and footrest mounts etc in the general vicinity.

98tls
21st May 2007, 20:14
Not to familar with a GN but if its the same as the TL cans then drill out the rivets holding end cap on............one of mine is broken and bangs around inside the can................

rainman
21st May 2007, 21:26
Hey thanks 98tls - I don't know much about the TL (TLS? TL1000S?) but if that's it in your profile pic then no, there isn't much resemblance to a GN at all :D

The back of the GN exhaust is riveted on and the rivets all feel solid (although the exhaust was still hot from a ride home so I didn't feel too closely). I'll go out to the garage a little later on and have a closer look at a few things now that she's all cooled down.