PDA

View Full Version : A lesson for all...

dogsnbikes
23rd May 2007, 22:13
Today I got a call from U4EA to pick up a stranded biker(young chap)2nd in 5 days :shit:

His bike had broken down so off I go with trialer in tow.......after getting bike on trailer back too my place.....and into the shed to look at the bike a 84 VTR250

the guy has had the bike about 6 months and it reall was a sad state the farings being held to the frame with bungy cords,the chain could be lifted of the sprocket,the front faring bracket was so bent the bike looked twisted....

it was fair too say the bike hadn't seen any maintance for a very long time......

so off with the bent and twisted parts and into the electrics....hmmmmmm no spark on on clynder not good back track to find the sorce cheacking and cleaning as I go wasnt long problem solved....requires 2 spark plugs

air filter looks like it had been there since adam was a boy...new filter required

battery completely stuff.....new battery required

off with the front faring braket too bend it back into a reasonable shape......fair to say the bike had been dropped a number of times

adjust the bars/clipons so they look like handle bars instead off runing parallel with the tank :shit: no wonder he kept falling off.......

cheak the throttlel :gob: oh:shit: its broken in the twist grip mate you aint going anywhere :Punk...: .new twist grip required

then to cheack the chain and sprockets...adjust and lude chain.....but new chain required

duing this time I cleaned and cheak all electrics and instructed this newbie biker

jump start bike all is running sweet :Punk: all electrics working :rockon: the chap was soooo gratful for the help and turns out he lives 2 streets away,telling me he knows nothing about bikes and knows no-one too help him with such things,well he does now and he will be back when he gets the parts to fix his bike,so with his list of parts required he's off home...

All of this could have been avoided with simple bike maintance......bling to U4EA for stopping and calling for help.....and the young chap he is keen to learn about his bike and how too do basic maintenance too keep safe

I am starting to wonder if dogsnbikes should be "rescue dog"

crashe
23rd May 2007, 22:16
Good onya for helping this dude out......... well done. :yes: :yes:

Puddlejumper
23rd May 2007, 22:22
Nice work, and I like your attitude. Seeing a bike in that state its too easy to just write off the rider as an idiot. Well done for your help and also for taking the time to find out that it was ignorance on his part and not carelessness/laziness and for offering to educate him. We need more bikers like you around.

u4ea
23rd May 2007, 22:32
.I was on my way home and the young fella looked stranded(he had called a tow truk but I told him to cancell as RESCUE DOG:innocent: was just up the road)twas way beyond the call of duty to take the bike back and give it a basic checkover....he couldve ended up in a seriously bad :nono: way if Dogs hadnt shown him basic maintainance and fixed those clipons and tightened the chain !!!but in saying that he was young and keen and just didnt have a bloody clue!!!!Thanks Dogs for your support...:yes:

dogsnbikes
23rd May 2007, 23:05
Its always satisfying......to help another and as we were all green as grass with our first bikes we gained knowledge from someone who was willing to pass it on:yes:

MSTRS
24th May 2007, 09:17
Its always satisfying......to help another and as we were all green as grass with our first bikes we gained knowledge from someone who was willing to pass it on:yes:

Too right - esp when we was poor(er) and had parents that said 'Your bike, your responsibility'.
Suggestion on name...St.Bernard

Drum
24th May 2007, 11:05
This raises another important point too. That is, having an emergency break down plan. For example, having the number of some person or organisation who can come and get your bike if some helpful rider doesn't happen past and save your arse.

86GSXR
24th May 2007, 12:58
Yeah, good on you guys for helping out that young fella:first: I bet you've made him feel great about being a biker now, well done, proud of ya both:yes: And maybe we've now got another fellow biker to ride with:rockon:

Nasty
24th May 2007, 13:02
Go guys .. awesome work!:scooter:

chanceyy
24th May 2007, 13:06
.I was on my way home and the young fella looked stranded(he had called a tow truk but I told him to cancell as RESCUE DOG:innocent: was just up the road)twas way beyond the call of duty to take the bike back and give it a basic checkover....he couldve ended up in a seriously bad :nono: way if Dogs hadnt shown him basic maintainance and fixed those clipons and tightened the chain !!!but in saying that he was young and keen and just didnt have a bloody clue!!!!Thanks Dogs for your support...:yes:

good on ya chicky for realising things were not quite right

yes we luv our rescue dog .. & st brernard is the dog of choice i hear LOL

& we hapless ppl love the help & assitance that is freely offered

so when will i see the new handlebars ??? is that before or after dinner on sat ??

Macktheknife
24th May 2007, 13:08
Bling sent, and much respect for doing so much for another biker, well done to you both.

DMNTD
24th May 2007, 13:16

Now that right there is what motorcyclists should be about people :yes:

gijoe1313
24th May 2007, 13:29
:niceone: Now that's what I like to hear! People helping people ... and as bikers, we all know what it's like being bikers - so we help one another out whenever we can! :yes:

On ya peeps for doing the right thing and paying it forward! :Punk: :rockon:

Checkers
24th May 2007, 13:42
sounds like a bike to burn out and blow up on a bomb-fire.

Poor bastard, but hey like they say it happens to the best of us..... plus burning it out would be entertaining.:Punk:

u4ea
24th May 2007, 14:21
sounds like a bike to burn out and blow up on a bomb-fire.

Poor bastard, but hey like they say it happens to the best of us..... plus burning it out would be entertaining.:Punk:

nah way!!! I started on a vt250 and aside from the obvious his was actually a dam fine machine!!!!So now he knows what hes riding is well worth the effort of keeping in good order(oh and the typical of "no question is a dumb question" and "every little thing can be the difference between staying safe or not")Now theres a young rider out there who will have the greater sense of security and pride!!!!

buellbabe
24th May 2007, 14:33
awww shucks... all this feel good stuff is making me blub... lol!

great stuff!

But then I have always thought the motorcycling brother/sisterhood is a cut above the rest :yes:

Colapop
24th May 2007, 18:29
A couple of the boys from the building site have bikes... I had a yarn or three to them and they've registered for a trackday (I think one is now a KBer... dunno who he is tho...) It's great just to yarn about bikes and shit.. A real comraderie..

4UEA and D&B done good!

Meanie
24th May 2007, 19:17
Bloody well done guys The friendship between bikers runs very deep and a hell of a long way back i remember when i first started riding (too far back to remember) we always waved to each other and always stopped if another was on the side of the road, there was a lot fewer of us back then too
Bling sent, well deserved

Unit
27th May 2007, 09:32
Yes bling sent. I have a back up plan, being a girly rider often on my own at night. I have state roadside rescue but with the fantastic amount of fellow motorcylist friends I have made particularly through KB I know there will always be a solution, oh and I can phone home too and share the problem. The key is keeping the maintainance up to scratch to prevent breakdowns as much as possible in the first instance. There will always be the unexpected but its worth eliminating as many possibles. Simply cleaning the bike often helps identify problem areas. Good on the newbie for being so keen to ride, and hopefully he will tap into the wealth of knowledge lurking around in this forum.

Chickadee
27th May 2007, 11:43
Awesome job guys!

Nice to be nice and help a noobie out, pays to help others, I'm a big believer in Karma in that respect! Good on you for helping the chap and teaching him how to look after his bike.

Cr1MiNaL
8th June 2007, 13:31
Good stuff dogsnbikes and U4EA good job helpin this poor bugger out. I bet hes a poor student or sumthing by the looks of it. I kno where hes commin from. Bling duly awarded.

Raj.

onearmedbandit
8th June 2007, 13:38
Awesome job guys.

dogsnbikes
12th June 2007, 23:27
Well the young chap has been in touch and has all the parts required to fix his bike.........So we are getting stuck into it on his next day off

thanks too all those who have blinged etc its very humbling and its what we do as motorcyclist in ways of support,clansmanship that keeps us together

:yes:

Cr1MiNaL
12th June 2007, 23:36
Agreed v good of u guys to help him out. better thn getin ripped off at a garage i say. I hope if/when i come off someone helps me sort my shit out wud be such a good feeling getin help from people in the know....

Pancakes
25th June 2007, 21:32
Bling for you and yep, clean the moving bits of the bike regularly, not just the painted bits and you can make sure everything is in it's place and know what it should be like if it moves.

rideNroot
30th June 2007, 14:58
Lesson learnt.
Been hitting the general maintenance manuals!

Chrislost
5th July 2007, 18:10
This raises another important point too. That is, having an emergency break down plan. For example, having the number of some person or organisation who can come and get your bike if some helpful rider doesn't happen past and save your arse.

what are such organisations?
espially for a dorklander who would be heading on a coro loop...
cos thats a fair way from home :O

Drum
5th July 2007, 19:39
what are such organisations?
espially for a dorklander who would be heading on a coro loop...
cos thats a fair way from home :O

I'm signed up with Swann insurance, and they have roadside assistance, but I believe that the AA does it as well.

ZeroIndex
5th July 2007, 19:47
Good man... it's people like you that keep the world turning (with enough chain lube and tension around the solar system)... ok, I'm rambling now...