PDA

View Full Version : Learner Licence riders......

Toaster
24th May 2007, 10:54
Hey to you good people out there on Learner licences.....
Firstly, good on you for getting into motorcycling!

For those of you wise enough to obey the speed restrictions, please keep in mind that not making way for traffic when you have reasonable opportunity to do so - when you are riding at 70kmh in a 100kmh zone - is illegal and carries a penalty of $150 if caught.

For your own safety and that of other road users please pull over and let traffic pass. It only take a few moments of your time and builds the respect of other road users towards bikers who show considerate behaviour.

I saw an example of this in rural Rodney this week. The rider was riding way too slow for the traffic flow and caused a significant back log on a road too dangerous to overtake on but where the average speed is between 95-100kmh.

A simple indication and pulling to the left for a while to let cars and trucks pass works wonders!

Safe riding out there.
Cheers!
Toaster.

Maha
24th May 2007, 11:01
Good point Toaster, im finding alot of cars in recent times are pulling over and giving me room...thumbs up to them, they always get a wave when i slide past...:niceone:

007XX
24th May 2007, 11:49
Well, there is a prickly topic if ever I saw one. Now...yes, I am Looner. 6 years riding first a 49.9cc grunting moped :scooter: , an asthmatic GN250 and now, major improvement with the use of a VTR250 (God I love her!). I don't have an issue with sticking to the speed limit, even advise it strongly as one needs to crawl before being able to walk. And as far as letting faster traffic pass you by, that should be just simple common sense. But please bear in mind it doesn't mean you should disappear into the curb! You are still a vehicle allowed to have your own space on the road.
I'm looking at doing a track day soon, as I have outgrown the 70 km/h by about 70km/h more(oups!) and feel rather guilty about breaking the rules even if I do it in open roads with no traffic.

It's all about getting the skill!!!:soon:

HDTboy
24th May 2007, 12:28
Where's the option for those Learners who are on big bikes?

Toaster
24th May 2007, 12:40
Where's the option for those Learners who are on big bikes?

Hehehe yes good point. I guess you would come under the no L-plate option!

Quartermile
24th May 2007, 12:47
can we answer this for what we did when we were learners?

yod
24th May 2007, 13:22

i did

ten char

Toaster
24th May 2007, 13:24

Good idea dude..... do it.....

Lissa
24th May 2007, 13:37
I am a learner. I had a L Plate, but.... somehow, somewhere it got ripped in half. I for one dont really think the warehouse ones are designed to take speeds of up to 70kph which is what I ride all the time..... :innocent:

Do I pull over to the let cars pass me?!?! .... umm never really had to, but I guess I would if I was holding someone up, thats just good manners.

Toaster
24th May 2007, 13:40
I am a learner. I had a L Plate, but.... somehow, somewhere it got ripped in half.

So you have a half-L plate left? So that would look like "I" correct??

....... so what would "I" stand for??!! :innocent:

Lissa
24th May 2007, 13:41
So you have a half-L plate left? So that would look like "I" correct??

....... so what would "I" stand for??!! :innocent:
Insane I think :shutup:

Rosie
24th May 2007, 14:02
I displayed an L plate, rode at 100 (ish, took a little while to get comfortable at open road speeds) and would pull over when someone faster came up behind me - 'cos they are probably going to overtake you anyway, and it's better if they do it on your terms, rather than just about running you over passing on a blind corner.

Toaster
24th May 2007, 14:10
it's better if they do it on your terms, rather than just about running you over passing on a blind corner.

Well said Rosie.

xwhatsit
24th May 2007, 15:06
I don't think it's worth the inconvenience to others, or own personal danger, to actually obey the 70kph part of it. It's been done to death here on the forums; stuff the 70kph bit, L-plate or none (I wear my L-plate for interest's sake, and have never been pinged for 70kph+ despite doing 100kph right in front of cops). LTNZ themselves are looking at this issue (Ixion, I believe, posted about it a while back (where is Ixion?)) and a lot of people in authorities seem to like the idea of removing this limit. I believe it was introduced when national speed limit was 80kph or something, so made more sense, but nowadays it's just ridiculous.

Learner riders have enough to worry about without having to be tailgated and keep pulling onto the bad side of the road to let others past. Just do 100kph, straight roads on the motorway are about the least dangerous thing you'll encounter. 50kph in traffic and traffic lights and roundabouts are far more scary.

McJim
24th May 2007, 19:40
I obeyed all the rules of my licence when I was a learner except the 70kph one. I didn't exceed 100kph in 100 zones (by much) and obeyed 50,60,70,80 zones in built up areas.

I commuted to CBD from Eastern Auckland along the southern motorway. Regularly passing HP Police bikes and cars at 100kph while wearing an L plate.

Rode sensibly and obeyed all other rules of the road and never got stopped.

I get pissed off at Caravans and boaties that allow a column of traffic to build up behind them and don't pull over - I would like to see them receive a $150 fine for not using reasonable opportunities to pull over (i.e. they do 30 on the 55 corners then cane it up to 120kph when there's a passing lane!)

deanohit
24th May 2007, 19:55
I dont obey the 70 limit but I do obey the 100 limit(only because the bike does 110 flat out).recently though I had engine problems and had to slow down to 60kmh on SH1.was pulling over for traffic often and while pulled over a cop stopped behind me.thought SHIT!no L plate and dark.cop asked if I was ok,how much further was I going and was impressed with my consideration of other road users and take it easy,then drove off!

Warren
24th May 2007, 20:14
I wouldn't recommend going 70 km/h in a 100 km/h area but if you are going slower than the other traffic then let the people behind you get past, but make sure you and they are safe - pull over to the left, but not over the while line and check the road ahead. Make sure the person behind you can pass safely with no oncoming traffic or the road being wide enough for both of you. Use your left indicator or give them a hand signal so they know you want them to pass.

crazy phrog
25th May 2007, 12:47
I am on a learners. I am also on a dairy farm. I travel a lot of rural roads where overtaking pretty much doesn't happen. For this reason I feel it is safer for all traffic concerned if I do the posted 100km/h speed limit. This way I don't have a big traffic jam behind me for 45 minutes.

MaxCannon
25th May 2007, 23:41
I tried to stick to the 70kph limit
Lasted about 2 days.

One car almost collected me, driver half asleep just ploughing on at 100.
I saw him in the mirrors and swerved to the left (no shoulder on this part of motorway to pull onto) and he just barely went around me.

Such a difference in speed increases the danger to the rider.
If I'm at 90 or 100 then I feel much safer than riding at 70 having to pay more attention to what is behind than what is in front.

Stella
29th May 2007, 19:36
I am *PROUD* of my L-plate, I smile when I see it!! :yes:

It says I am a legit *motorcycle rider*. I am 27 and this is the first license I have got, I got it a month ago.
It also makes me feel that little bit safer when going around town, and I do notice a lot of people give me heaps of room.

As to the 70km thing, I am very aware when learning things like this not to over-stretch my abilities too soon. First ride out of town and we stuck to 70, pulling over to let others pass. I felt it was a safe and comfortable speed for my skill level and as such had a very enjoyable trip.
However, subsequent rides have all been a little faster. I am now feeling pretty good at 80km, and faster on straight, flat roads.

Am not out to prove anything, I want to learn this properly, no need to scare the shit out of me for appearances sake.

Stella