PDA

View Full Version : Quad Riders??

Stevo
9th September 2004, 19:32
Are there any/many ATV riders out there. I have a TRX450R which sadly :doctor: is not running at the moment. NEXT week!

If there are any what do you ride?

merv
9th September 2004, 20:25
I don't own an ATV, but have ridden on a few trail rides with them and find them a right pain in the arse mixed with two wheelers - they bounce along differently and I make sure I pass as many as fast as I can to put them behind me because they go and get stuck in tight spots and block the track. They also take such a different line on gravel roads. The other thing they are good at, but this is funny to us two wheeler riders, is I have seen quite a few flip backwards on steep hills and go tumbling down like a rock. Another good reason to be in front of them. From behind it looks something like an Indiana Jones scene tumbling towards you.

I guess you can blame the organisers a bit because a lot of the rides I have been on have just been too tight for quads through trees etc.

The solution which I think is a good one is this - dedicated rides for ATVs - check it out here http://www.silver-bullet.co.nz/news.php?id=3165&PHPSESSID=0378c11a472682394103e0cdd7f08a6a

Its not easy catching pics of the mishaps but here's one about to flip backwards - a basic farm job you'll tell me know doubt and not a racing ATV.

The two wheelers that have screwed up on the hill at least just lie on their sides.

You can check out more trail ride pics at my website here http://bikemerv.topcities.com/trail03.html I've been a bit slack and haven't updated much since I've been on Kiwi Biker.

Motu
9th September 2004, 20:47
Looks like someones got a trials bike Merv,did he do any better? They are bloody scary things on a hill alright,going side on along a slope gives me the screaming shits on one.Awesome for getting sideways and totaly out of shape.Yeah,they take different lines too - we had to unwind a bike rider who got tangled in a quad that moved onto his line.

merv
9th September 2004, 20:56
Looks like someones got a trials bike Merv,did he do any better? They are bloody scary things on a hill alright,going side on along a slope gives me the screaming shits on one.Awesome for getting sideways and totaly out of shape.Yeah,they take different lines too - we had to unwind a bike rider who got tangled in a quad that moved onto his line.

Yeah trials bikes are fine they can go anywhere. While I'm already at the top of the hill taking pics as I'm apt to do the trials boy is just down there having a look. He'd have no worries just taking off up the hill. Having started in trials myself I have few problems on hills and am surprised quite often at how others struggle. The most common reason appears to be they run their tyres way too hard. I had the DR250R then which wasn't a great bike for traction as it was - not enough flywheel and way too buzzy.

Here's another pic from that set at the Pauatahanui trail ride which is near where I live. Looks like one trials bike in that one having trouble. You can see the rest at my website. Didn't have a digital camera then so didn't take so many shots on each ride.

Stevo
17th September 2004, 00:02
Hi Merv. Been a while getting back I know. Trials bikes are great fun! A friend of mine has 3 on their hill country farm and they certainly can go anywhere. Took the Mrs on her first trials bike ride on my mates place the last weekend and she hated it!!!

What do you ride?
My mate has 2 TY250s (one of which is rooted and parts impossible to get) and a Gas Gas 270.

Steve

denill
17th September 2004, 07:54
I don't own an ATV, but have ridden on a few trail rides with them and find them a right pain in the arse mixed with two wheelers - they bounce along differently.

Yeah with you on that one Merv. call me old fashioned but I am buggered if I know how anyone has the cheek to refer to ATV as motorbikes - or even, as four wheeled motorbikes??

A motorbike has got TWO wheels!! :doh: :doh:
And because of that difference - they are VERY different to ride and handle differently. And yes, they are not compatable on the same off-road tracks, at all. :no: :no:

merv
17th September 2004, 08:20
Hi Merv.

What do you ride?

Steve

You'll see from my posts that I have a WR250F now for dirt.

Stevo
17th September 2004, 11:02
Yeah with you on that one Merv. call me old fashioned but I am buggered if I know how anyone has the cheek to refer to ATV as motorbikes - or even, as four wheeled motorbikes??

A motorbike has got TWO wheels!! :doh: :doh:
And because of that difference - they are VERY different to ride and handle differently. And yes, they are not compatable on the same off-road tracks, at all. :no: :no:

So that being the case I guess sidecars are not motorbikes either then?? Get real!! Some of my partner (who races sidecars incidentally and rides a ZX9R) friends used to give me grief about being a quad racer as they hated them on trails etc too, and gave me lines like "Quads are for people lacking the coordination and skill to ride 2 wheels" .................... until they tried it!!

Then it was "Wow, I can't believe you can be hanging out the back end in a corner yet it still has enough power and traction to be wanting to lift the front end all at the same time!". Don't bag it till ya try it is what I say!!!

White trash
17th September 2004, 11:20
So that being the case I guess sidecars are not motorbikes either then?? Get real!! Some of my partner (who races sidecars incidentally and rides a ZX9R) friends used to give me grief about being a quad racer as they hated them on trails etc too, and gave me lines like "Quads are for people lacking the coordination and skill to ride 2 wheels" .................... until they tried it!!

Then it was "Wow, I can't believe you can be hanging out the back end in a corner yet it still has enough power and traction to be wanting to lift the front end all at the same time!". Don't bag it till ya try it is what I say!!!

I know that fucken feeling. I remember the first time I rode an LTZ400. I was thinking "Ahh, piece of piss. Just like some cow cockies quad."

Hook first, bit of a squeeze with the thumb, dump thje clutch, "FARKMEEEEEE!"

denill
17th September 2004, 11:25
So that being the case I guess sidecars are not motorbikes either then??

Yeah I reckon you guessed right Stevo. They are sidecars!!! A sidecar is defined as a motorcyle with a third wheel attached and is thus no longer a motorcycle, eh??

Get real!! Some of my partner (who races sidecars incidentally and rides a ZX9R) friends used to give me grief about being a quad racer as they hated them on trails etc too, and gave me lines like "Quads are for people lacking the coordination and skill to ride 2 wheels" .................... until they tried it!!
Don't bag it till ya try it is what I say!!

I did not and would not say that "Quads are for people lacking the co-ordination and skill to ride 2 wheels". I said that they are DIFFERENT and no one surely can argue that. And as Merv wrote: "<I>I find them a right pain in the arse mixed with two wheelers - they bounce along differently</I>y.
And I most certainly agree with that. And cos the lines taken etc - not good company for a proper motorcycle.

And yeah, I have ridden ATVs. Bloody dangerous and compared with motorcycles - unpredictable but good fun - in it's own way. BUT the skills required are very different to two wheelers. Cos they are DIFFERENT. :beer:

Who is to say tho that a good ATV rider is not also a good motorcycle rider !!!!!
You may have gleaned that I am not an ATV fan and you are SO right. But that is a personal thing, if you like them - great.

merv
17th September 2004, 12:23
Seems like not too many quad riders are coming forward here, that's why I gave you that link about dedicated ATV trail rides.

I guess they are fun in their own right but I wouldn't bother with one - too much garage space for them, not much use on the road and I don't like trailering my bikes everywhere and as I said they are incompatible with two wheelers on the trails.

If roadies are wondering what I mean, imagine yourselves road racing like say at Taupo with go-karts at the same time. They take different lines, you're not shoulder to shoulder with them if you get close to each other and you are likely to tangle in their wheels. Not a pretty thought at all.

Motu
17th September 2004, 14:16
I'm not gunna diss quads,cause I love riding them,if someone lets me - but been there done that Merv....on practice nights and bike only days at our dirt track we used to let a quad ride with us.,you had to be carefull and watch their line,and they would be super cautious when they knew a bike was coming up behind.But of course one day it turned to shit - another guy and I were having a dingdong battle,lap after lap,swapping places every couple of laps....I was only a meter off his tail at the end of the straight as we came up on the quad - next thing there is a huge explosion of dust in front of me.I couldn't see a thing,but somehow I made the right decision to vear left and miss them - when the dust cleared we had a big tangle of bikes and bodies,this is the guy we had to unwind off the quad - his boot had pierced it's peg and he was trapped.

As he was selfemployed he never raced again,but continued to support us.I missed riding with him as he was one of the few people I could ride shoulder to shoulder with,tangling bikes and limbs,but never crashing - I often used to ram his inside peg or rear tyre when he cut onto my line in the sweeper,there has to be mutual trust to ride that close with another,but nothing better...

Stevo
17th September 2004, 15:40
Ok. I get the point. My mates and I happily ride trails together and swap bikes all round and that sort of thing. We ride trails for enjoyment, and RACE in our respective classes!

Mostly I started this thread to see if any other Quad RACERS were on here ie: Quads racing OTHER Quads!!!! Ya don't go to speedway and watch saloon cars racing Modifieds cos that is just silly, (Hmmmm, Like some peoples' attitudes toward quads).

WT is right though, a farm quad is like driving a truck after a race bike!!

Stevo
17th September 2004, 15:43
By the way does "Fair weather rider" mean you are a Nana, and won't ride if there is any chance of getting wet???? :eek:

Kickaha
17th September 2004, 19:25
If roadies are wondering what I mean, imagine yourselves road racing like say at Taupo with go-karts at the same time. They take different lines, you're not shoulder to shoulder with them if you get close to each other and you are likely to tangle in their wheels. Not a pretty thought at all.

Yeah but that would only happen as the karts came up to lap the bikes and they'd be past so quick there'd be little chance of that happening :msn-wink:

merv
18th September 2004, 09:32
By the way does "Fair weather rider" mean you are a Nana, and won't ride if there is any chance of getting wet???? :eek:

Literally it means that but on here it just means more posts are needed to get the total up and move into a different category that is automatically selected until there are enough posts for the member to choose their own title.

merv
18th September 2004, 09:37
Ok. I get the point. My mates and I happily ride trails together and swap bikes all round and that sort of thing. We ride trails for enjoyment, and RACE in our respective classes!

Mostly I started this thread to see if any other Quad RACERS were on here ie: Quads racing OTHER Quads!!!! Ya don't go to speedway and watch saloon cars racing Modifieds cos that is just silly, (Hmmmm, Like some peoples' attitudes toward quads).

WT is right though, a farm quad is like driving a truck after a race bike!!

Yep, agreed and that's all I've been saying really. I presume in Marlborough you've got a decent shed to store the quad in. Us townies don't have huge garages but mine does hold 3 cars and 3 bikes OK, plus pushbikes, mower and all the usual junk. No room for quads, jetskis or any other such large dimension toys though.

Stevo
19th September 2004, 07:53
Fair comment. One of our implement sheds at the moment has 3 bikes plus 3 quads (2x farm, 1x racing) plus a combine and at least 2 tractors so space is not an issue. LOL

Well gots to go now cos have a 3 hr endurance race in Trass Valley, Nelson. Hoping tis gonna be a great day out.

NordieBoy
19th September 2004, 11:17
Well gots to go now cos have a 3 hr endurance race in Trass Valley, Nelson. Hoping tis gonna be a great day out.

The conditions should be perfect.
A bit of rain yesterday and now glorious sunshine and a slight breeze.

tlronny
14th October 2004, 05:45
Yea I'm a new quad guy but my ride is only good for trail riding really ('92 Warrior)
Theyre awesome fun but 2 wheelers hate you !
I bought one 'cause theyre different and not everyone has one (a good talking point !)
Also theyre quite versatile in that you can be racing round the Taupo track one day and then doing a trail ride the next weekend and then maybe a MX on the next one.
Not to mention Speedways have them too so your not short on places to go are you ??
Oh and one other thing -when you turn up at a ride and all you see is a whole bunch of YZF's and CRF's around its good to get something off the trailer that not many others have (UNIQUE) :shake:

Stevo
15th October 2004, 21:56
Good to hear.
Are you going to race it?
The national Champs are on in Taumaranui Nov 20 and 21 so even if you are not keen to race or even if you are might be worth a look. I am crossing the ditch to come up even though just competing in the novice class cos am in my first season of racing. :ride:

tlronny
16th October 2004, 22:11
Probably not but I went to a ride today at Lake Oakoura near Taupo and there were probably 30 odd quadsthere.
It was pissing down with rain most of the time but I had a ball !
Are you going to the quads only race near Napier soon. Our local boy "Moose" Youren is entered to try and better his 2nd placing in Nelson last month
Hes got a cool 440 Yoshi powered LTZ and it flies !!
:niceone:

Stevo
18th October 2004, 20:17
I thought about going up to the 3 hr race. Went to the Nelson one. I was a bit late getting there though. so was a little less enjoyable. i am saving pennies to go to Taumaranui on the 20th. And therefore decided against it. Got a big month coming up as I am also a (competition) rifle shooter and have a couple of big events in the next month.

Unfortunately I make barely enough money for all my expensive wee hobbies so just a matter of making the most of what ya can.

Why do you think the warrior is no good for racing??? Worth having a go.... Don't know till ya try??

tlronny
19th October 2004, 05:29
It aint no race bike - about 20hp, weighs a ton, standard shocks all round, average tyres and to top it off I'm horribly unfit and slow to boot !
When I go on rides its just for fun !!
:spudwhat:

750Y
19th October 2004, 14:22
i've got a Kawasaki KLF300 farm quad. it's good for feeding out the hay & a bit of spraying. other than that it is a big pig but it's fun to ride still.

Stevo
19th October 2004, 18:55
LOL. The warrior would be like an Aprilia against the KLF. Haha. Perhaps not so good for feeding out tho. I have a high performance kit in my TRX which brings it pretty close to the 50 hp mark. Give it heapsa throttle and hang on for a grim death. Otherwise though it is basically standard.
Be worth having a go tlronny if ya ever get a chance to ride one of these. Or the 440 you mentioned as it must be getting close to that hp too. :ride:

tlronny
19th October 2004, 19:44
I do like the new LTZ with rezzy front shocks now and alot of alloy bits replacing the older steel ones. Also a tad more power too and all for under $11k although your Honda is good value too actually but I'd prefer a 'lecky start and reverse bike myself.
Did you know that the new 400EX will get reverse and look like your one next year ?
This is my old girl if your interested ?
http://www.roostingthedunes.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=37
:confused2

750Y
20th October 2004, 09:00
the local farmbike place has a big new quad with a rotax engine in it. looks like a beast.

Stevo
20th October 2004, 21:36
the local farmbike place has a big new quad with a rotax engine in it. looks like a beast.

What is it? Is it the Kwaka 700 or something? WTF is a rotax engine?

Stevo
20th October 2004, 21:38
I do like the new LTZ with rezzy front shocks now and alot of alloy bits replacing the older steel ones. Also a tad more power too and all for under $11k although your Honda is good value too actually but I'd prefer a 'lecky start and reverse bike myself.
Did you know that the new 400EX will get reverse and look like your one next year ?
This is my old girl if your interested ?
http://www.roostingthedunes.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=37
:confused2

Does the 400ex not already have reverse? Nice bike tho. Esp for it's age. I saw a couple of your other pics too. How wide are the spacers you made up?

Stevo
20th October 2004, 21:40
Does the 400ex not already have reverse? A nice bike you have tho. Esp for it's age. I saw a couple of your other pics too. How wide are the spacers you made up?

It did not read how I meant it the first time so I re posted :ride: :ride:

tlronny
21st October 2004, 05:11
The spacers are about 18mm silver steel I think and work great on the Blaster.
Tell me stevo where do you get your bits from as I find all NZ dealers ie 'quadshop', 'tracktrail' and ol 'Fitchy' down south are just rip offs !
Myself have been getting stuff off eBay from the States and saving ourselves absolutely heaps !!
For example 2 front ITP rims - NZ$150 landed
2 rear ITP rims - same
1 AC front bumper - NZ$120
1 complete Graydon muffler/exhaust - NZ$450
1 AC nerfs - NZ$120

:first:

750Y
21st October 2004, 08:08
What is it? Is it the Kwaka 700 or something? WTF is a rotax engine?

I think it might have been a Polaris, it was a pretty big quad all 'sporty' like, by the way the guy was talking about it i could tell it musta been pretty good.
I don't know the details about the rotax engines other than i saw them racing round puke a few years back on tiny bikes and they were winning...

tlronny
21st October 2004, 11:03
Perhaps say a Bombardier DS650 ?

http://www.atvconnection.com/editor/review/atv/bombardier/ds650/review.htm

750Y
21st October 2004, 13:22
umm yep if it's not that one then it'd be something very similar. at the time i saw it(8 weeks ago) he wasn't quite finished assembling it from the crate. i remember being impressed mostly with the suspension on the thing which made it look like it just wanted to jump all round the place. reading that article made me want to have a play on one...

tlronny
23rd October 2004, 06:55
They're quite a serious piece of kit really - a little on the porky side but very grunty also a little strange on the styling side too but thats wot quads are about eh !!

:sly:

Stevo
24th October 2004, 19:51
Tell me stevo where do you get your bits from as I find all NZ dealers ie 'quadshop', 'tracktrail' and ol 'Fitchy' down south are just rip offs !
Myself have been getting stuff off eBay from the States and saving ourselves absolutely heaps !!
2 rear ITP rims - same
1 AC nerfs - NZ$120

I have found pretty much the same actually. I did get a good deal on some ITP rims through Track Trail tho. As they were the last of some old stock. Paid about $20 more than you paid for yours. I was going to try and bring some nerfs, bumper, and skid plates for my bike but struggled to find a good price on all items in the States. Therefore I am making some nerfs up and got a boatbuilder doing the alloy welding for me. Everything in NZ regarding bikes is horrifically expensive!!!! I would have thought Fitchy would sell them at little over cost but I guess he is out to make a buck too. Nice guy though.

I think the only answer is like you say importing yourself or classifieds. Some of the "specials" at Track and Trail are worth watching though I think.

tlronny
25th October 2004, 14:50
Yes "Track/Trail" do have the odd bargain - We got some 8"x8" rims off him for $90 odd I think which wasnt bad but most of the stuff is still too dear !
:crybaby:

750Y
1st November 2004, 10:32
that quad i was talking about was the polaris d(x/s)?650.
I saw it again last weekend when i dropped off the klf for a repair.
I actually like the look of the new Yamaha 450 quad, almost looks a little r1-ish...

NordieBoy
1st November 2004, 11:18
They're quite a serious piece of kit really - a little on the porky side but very grunty also a little strange on the styling side too but thats wot quads are about eh !!

:sly:

Just like their riders :blink: :wacko:

merv
1st November 2004, 13:49
You boys get involved in any of these:

http://www.silverbullet.co.nz/news.php?id=3272 or

http://www.silverbullet.co.nz/news.php?id=3273

Motu
1st November 2004, 14:13
A couple of quads were riding around having a look at the trial I was at on sunday - I was watching one come down a heavily rutted hill when the front wheels caught in the rut,wipped onto full lock and it went up on 2 wheels,very close to a flip I reckon.The rider didn't seem too concerned and was wearing only overalls and slip on work boots,no gloves,no helmet.At least when you ride a bike without a clue how to do it you fall off and learn some lessons quick smart,these guys weren't too smart and it would take a bit of teaching to drum in some basics.

jrandom
1st November 2004, 14:34
rider didn't seem too concerned and was wearing only overalls and slip on work boots,no gloves,no helmet

Yeah, what is it with these unprotected quad riders? I see them like that every time I'm up top of Muriwai way. Army dude I ran into at the bombing range on Labour weekend was just rarking around over the dunes with no gear, no helmet.

Having planted my unprotected head in the sand at 30kph a while back (or, at least, they tell me that's what happened; I have to take their word for it - for all I know, the story about a fifteen-point buck getting mad, running up and kicking me in the head could have been the true one), I can say that I wouldn't ever climb on a quad without a helmet.

Stevo
1st November 2004, 15:36
Yes. I went to the Nelson 3 hour race and by the looks of it was 6th in the open class. Not bad considering some twat thought he had enough fuel to do the full 3 hrs. :doh:

I learnt a valuable lesson about preparation though. Spose in the end it was all worth it then.
Would have liked to do the Hawkes Bay one which was obviously much shorter than the Nelson one but as usual money was a restricting factor. Must find me a sponsor or two!!

Any of you North Island folk go to the North Island run???

tlronny
3rd November 2004, 05:59
Yep - although I only went to watch (softcock)
Only about 17 bikes turned up but it was good to see the good guys ride !
The two Taumaranui lads were hugely fast and our local lad A Youren did good too.
My mate entered on a Blaster and finished too but he was knackered after the 'looksee lap" !
The shotgun start was hard case but we wont mention the new Honda 450 that was left on the start line for 5 mins as it wouldnt go !
Something to be said for 'lecky start eh Stevo !
The track was about 14km around and had a bit of everything in it and was way more technical than the Nelson round.

:eek:

Stevo
8th November 2004, 06:53
Something to be said for 'lecky start eh Stevo !
The track was about 14km around and had a bit of everything in it and was way more technical than the Nelson round.

:eek:

Harden up eh? lol. I have no trouble kick starting my bike. The nelson track was not particularly difficult just one fire break but was Loooooooooooong course.
You'll have to come over for a look in Taumaranui on next weekend :2guns:

tlronny
9th November 2004, 05:43
Yea - Me and my ridin' buddy are coming over to have a squiz at the real good guys to see how its done .
Have you any details on the event ??
:apint:

Stevo
11th November 2004, 06:36
So you going to watch some of us not so good guys too then. :killingme

I will have to check exactly the instructions. But they were very basic. I will confirm but I think it is signposted from BP Taumaranui. Then I guess just follow the signs. I have been doing a bit of training, so hopefully I will not be a complete embarassment :killingme :killingme

Unfortunately the last paddock I had to race in, I ripped up with the discs yesterday, so no more track :weep: :weep:

She'll be right though (I hope). I am No. 55 if you do get along there and want to say gday. A RED BIKE OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

tlronny
16th November 2004, 07:51
Will probably see you on Saturday ?

Went for a spin on my mates '05 LTZ 400 in the weekend - awesome trail quad especially the suspension - may even sell my road bike now to get one too - heaps better than the old Warrior thats for sure !!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Stevo
17th November 2004, 22:23
Dooooooon't! Get a 450. The difference is HUGE! You can tweak tweak the hell out of the 400s to get the motor to perform like the standard 450s but the Yamaha and Honda suspension setups on their big bikes is incomparable. I rode a Raptor once. Tons of power!!!!! That is all of the good things I can say about it. Was the single worst bike I have ever ridden............

Well. Maybe catch you some stage in the weekend then. I gotta yella truck :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:

tlronny
18th November 2004, 08:38
But they dont have reverse and are a bit of a racehorse really (high maintenance, low bottom end, poor resale, and really dear (at least $3000 dearer !)
So I reckon the 400 is a good compromise !

:niceone: :sunny: :niceone: :sunny: :niceone: :sunny: :niceone: :sunny: :niceone: :sunny:

Stevo
19th November 2004, 05:55
What the hell ya want to go backwards for?? :ar15: Only one way to go. As for poor resale - I doubt it.

Well the day for the big trip North has finally arrived. Cross the strait in about 3 hrs time, then cruise up to big bad Taumarunui.
Maybe catch up in the weekend Ronny............... Ciao

Stevo
22nd November 2004, 12:29
Did you get along for a look TLRonny? Was some awesome racing to watch. Even a couple of riders who could push Ffitchy along. I had a pretty good weekend though finished up bridesmaid in my class (Bugger) but at least it was to a much more experienced clubmate..............

Had a blast though. Am absolutely hooked on this whole racing thing now!!!

tlronny
22nd November 2004, 19:55
No - unfortunately we couldnt make it but I saw some results in the paper.
We ended up going for a ride on the Rangataiki Plains just out of Taupo with a Banshee and a Predator tagging along.
The Banshee was mad on the fire roads and the Predator was good everywhere (used to belong to Wade Taylor who is the local hotshot - He came 9th in his class in the weekend )

Metla
23rd November 2004, 12:08
Bit of a shame to see the attitudes towards quad riders taking part in trail rides.After taking part in many of these activities over the last 15 years on quads and 2 wheelers all i can say is you have to be jokin.

There are 3 things that cause grief on trail rides.

Poorly laid out tracks.
Inexperienced riders.
Arrogant riders.

The layout of the ride is obviously the responsibility of the organizer, Over the last few years this has been improving, Probably due to the ATV's gaining once again in popularity.

They need to take into consideration the types of bikes that will turn up, and the experience levels, which will run the gamut from new riders through to uber goobers.

Inexperienced riders.

No matter what the type of bike they ride the inexperienced will always cause others to get the short end of the stick, whether its causing traffic jams, falling off, causing others to fall off, Or just offending the uber's for daring to come on "their" trail rides.

The best thing to do in this instance is to help them around and they will eventually improve, or in sad cases morph into the lowest form of the uber rider.(being the ones that think they can ride hard, bully other riders then crash within moments of getting on the throttle.

Now onto the uber riders, otherwise known as arrogant

Hers a news flash for ya's, Trail rides are a day out for everyone, not a race day for those that think their riding pants are a fashion statement, You want to race then there are race days. You want to go flat out on a trail ride?...That’s fine as well, But you still have to accommodate everyone else on the trail ride, whether they be inexperienced ,on slower bikes, or god forbid on a quad.

On every trail ride I have ever been on there has been ample room to pass others, even if it means waiting till a clear space to get around a quad, If you want to tear up behind someone and be all uber with the revving of the throttle then you deserve to be pushed into a tree by the quad your trying to bully.

Nuff said.

Good riders help others and enjoy the day.

NordieBoy
23rd November 2004, 15:48
And the quads need to realise that when they blast past us poor learners that they have these wide grippy tires spitting up a hell of a lot of gravel/roost. :eyepoke:

I'm nowhere near the stage when I can return the compliment.

Yet...

One of these days all quad riders are going quiver in fear of a face full of roost and they are going to wonder what they did to deserve it and why the rider was laughing mainacially as he went past on the back wheel of his '79 XR250 :2thumbsup

Metla
23rd November 2004, 16:16
well yeah ,thats poor manners as well,although i have been hit with projectiles from all sorts of bikes, 2 and 4 wheelers can throw roost in someones face,and i would call it a deliberate act.

denill
20th December 2004, 11:30
There is some info for those interested, on the Polaris 'Way Out Rides' <a href=http://www.silver-bullet.co.nz/news.php?id=3363>HERE:</A>

Cheers
BillW

Stevo
20th December 2004, 22:21
Hmmmmmmm. Only ever been for one trail ride with my quad and that was mostly cos my mate with WR200 wanted to go for a blat. Not really what spins my wheels, for whatever reason.
Do you Nelson blokes know of any quad riders interested in racing or even just having a go at racing? I am planning to hold at least two races (ATV) this season in Marlborough and also have found a group of riders prepared to Canty for events put on by them.
Am just hoping a few from Nelson might come if we can organise some events though from what I hear they are mostly trail riders over there????????

Do you know any atv riders?

tlronny
22nd December 2004, 05:33
Just looked at the Polaris ride day thingy and was disappointed to see that Hawkes Bay hasnt got a date set !
Theres a local Polaris dealer here too ! On most trail rides around here there are usually at least 10 quads that regularly turn up.
We often see a couple of Wellington guys (Daniel and Kieran ?) come up too for the MX's.

:Punk: :Punk:

denill
22nd December 2004, 05:53
Just looked at the Polaris ride day thingy and was disappointed to see that Hawkes Bay hasnt got a date set !
Theres a local Polaris dealer here too ! On most trail rides around here there are usually at least 10 quads that regularly turn up.
We often see a couple of Wellington guys (Daniel and Kieran ?) come up too for the MX's.

:Punk: :Punk:

I understand that there is a Polaris 'Way Out Ride' in Hawkes Bay coming up.
:yeah: :yeah:
So check it out with your local dealer.

Cheers
BillW

denill
22nd December 2004, 11:07
I understand that there is a Polaris 'Way Out Ride' in Hawkes Bay coming up.
:yeah: :yeah:
So check it out with your local dealer.

Cheers
BillW

And Polaris say that a Kumeu ATV 'Way Out Ride' is also in the pipeline for 2005.

Bill W

Stevo
22nd December 2004, 23:42
TLRonny.
Are you still looking for cheap parts? If so what are you after?

tlronny
24th December 2004, 17:54
kill switch/tether
nerfs
2+3 front rims
rev box
speedway tyres
swingarm guard

all to fit a LTZ ??

:ride: :ride:

Stevo
25th December 2004, 07:13
Didn't realise you had dumped the blaster already! Musta missed that post. Saw a turbo charged avgas running zooki go up in flames. Happened pretty quick and was pretty impressive

tlronny
28th December 2004, 04:47
That Suzuki was at the nationals I am told but not really standard by any means !
I only had a Warrior b4 - the Blasty was a friends and hes got a LTZ now as well.

Stevo
28th December 2004, 08:01
Like I said it was turbo charged and drinking avgas........... perhaps just pushing it a bit hard in the end? I don't think Mike could handle owning a bike that hadn't been modified in some major way. He like a number of others runs a super quad at the Race to the Sky.

So what do you reckon of the LTZ? Have you done anything to it? Now you have a shit hot bike you'll have to come racing mate!!! :2guns: :2guns:

I was contemplating a longer swingarm for the 450 or perhaps some wider a arms on the front, but have decided to wait till the taxman has finished with me before I spend what dosh I have.

tlronny
28th December 2004, 19:30
Mines still stock really except for a modified exhaust and billet tip and I've removed the tail light and headlight assy

A bloke from Wellington (Kieran ?) that has a TRX swears by the full Curtis Sparks exhaust system and a rev box for his bike !

:innocent:

retep130
13th June 2005, 17:18
i got a kvf700 kawasaki all standard except some huge mud tyres, not a racing bike but still goes insanely fast and when it gets up to speed it sits up on the tyres and becomes scary but still very fun

Wellyman
13th June 2005, 17:31
Hmmm... quads are those those silly things with four wheels that are a pain in the bum to pass because they take up the whole track :msn-wink:. I tried riding my mates 100 kids quad a while ago and i couldn't ride it just didn't feel comfy compared to my 2 wheeler.

Stevo
14th June 2005, 08:02
Hmmm... quads are those those silly things with four wheels that are a pain in the bum to pass because they take up the whole track :msn-wink:. I tried riding my mates 100 kids quad a while ago and i couldn't ride it just didn't feel comfy compared to my 2 wheeler.
That would be like me saying I rode a kids twowheeler and and it wasn't as comfy as my adults quad. LOL
We were racing in Nelson in the weekend in the Flat track series with the two wheelers. They make such a mess and it was horrendous on the quad. Bucks and kicks like crazy. :no: I am still a bit sore today. One of my old workers was there and told me "Riding a ATV is easy ya just have to sit there." So I told him to ask if he could go out after the last race which he did.
Conclusion: A lot of fun but F^*K it was hard! :rofl: :rofl:

Stevo
14th June 2005, 08:05
i got a kvf700 kawasaki all standard except some huge mud tyres, not a racing bike but still goes insanely fast and when it gets up to speed it sits up on the tyres and becomes scary but still very fun
Some people I have seen run those in the enduro races like the 6 hour and 3 hour races in Nelson. I've never had a go on one. Maybe one day..........

tlronny
15th June 2005, 07:01
Local dealer has one and it fair flys although its bloody big to manhandle in the forestry sections !
They sound good (V twin) with a pipe too !
I see you can get a Honda 450 now for $10000 Stevo - a bargain if you like kickstart and no reverse.

Stevo
16th June 2005, 08:05
Local dealer has one and it fair flys although its bloody big to manhandle in the forestry sections !
They sound good (V twin) with a pipe too !
I see you can get a Honda 450 now for $10000 Stevo - a bargain if you like kickstart and no reverse.
Depends if ya want a race bike or a bike for your wife I guess :killingme
Who on earth wants to go backward anyway? Just got some long travel wide a arms coming. Also a longer swingarm to keep the front end down a bit. Should be awesome when it gets here. I am now very broke though!!!!!

tlronny
16th June 2005, 14:44
Where did you get the bits from and how much ???
:yes:

Stevo
18th June 2005, 13:41
From Denton Racing. www.dentonracing.com Ummm. Don't tell my Mrs but about $5500

workaholic
20th July 2005, 22:35
The answer........Ones that i would expect you have never seen before (new in NZ). 300cc with all the bits.....and yup...its made in China. The kids all have 50cc ones. Great if your looking for cheap quads and the parts are far less expensive. My latest model even comes out with a Suzuki engine.

tlronny
22nd July 2005, 06:54
Nice plug mate !
:clap:

Stevo
24th July 2005, 22:58
How's the Zooki going Ronny? I am planning on coming up for the ATV Nationals on 8th and 9th of Oct, in your neck of the woods. Was thinking of even venturing up for the North Island Champs in Huntly but it is only a one day event I found out today. :weird: Stuff that for a joke I have decided. Bloody long haul for one day of racing. Bloody soft North Islanders, :rofl: Just can't handle it. :no:

tlronny
25th July 2005, 11:58
The track for the nationals is pretty good
Smooth with some big tabletops and jumps - I 'll come along and watch for sure - got some AC nerfs coming froom the states at the moment and doing the odd trail ride.
Bike is good and waiting for some speedway/flat track events to come up
:clap:

Grim Reaper
19th August 2005, 17:28
2 rear ITP rims - same
1 AC nerfs - NZ$120

Dude. Track and Trail is a wholesale business. We currently have $337000.00 tied up in stock of quad parts. Do you really think we want to sell it for cost - Nope, we do it to make a profit, so that we can then stock more parts. Who do we do this for - other quad riders. Ffitch also runs a business, and needs to make a profit to keep stock for - wait for it - Quad riders! What a strange concept, business making profit.

Call a plumber on Saturday to find out what being ripped off feels like!

Stevo
20th August 2005, 08:42
Dude. Track and Trail is a wholesale business. We currently have $337000.00 tied up in stock of quad parts. Do you really think we want to sell it for cost - Nope, we do it to make a profit, so that we can then stock more parts. Who do we do this for - other quad riders. Ffitch also runs a business, and needs to make a profit to keep stock for - wait for it - Quad riders! What a strange concept, business making profit.

Call a plumber on Saturday to find out what being ripped off feels like!
This is exactly true.
I buy a lot of things direct from the States (for all my bikes) but some things like tyres it is not really worth it. example I can buy turfies for $US40 each but freight on such items makes it hard to justify. Tis easier to pay an extra 20 bucks per tyre and get locally. But I am thinking of getting a couple of beadlocks and could land the pair for the cost of one in NZ.
So it depends a little bit.
Like you say though I find it hard to see why nerfs retail here for $500 when they can be landed for a quarter of that. It is just encouraging people to buy off shore. More to do with being a small market I guess.

Stevo

Stevo
20th August 2005, 08:47
The new Raptor looks good doesn't it? I mean for a Yammie :rofl:
Seriously though I read the write up in ATV Action and sounds like an awesome bike.

ESPN (SKY channel 13) has quad racing tonight at 6pm, on something called the outdoors games. Should be good to watch seeing as we never get to see the top Americans racing. Saw clips of it last night.

Stevo

Alpha Solo
23rd August 2005, 21:28
I had the pleasure of working on a quad bike school for 6 months and learned that they can do some mental things once you get your head round them. I prefered the larger sized machines with a bit more weight as they didnt go sideways when airborn. Gonna get stuck in with a Yam WR250 off road for a few months to see what the difference is...

tlronny
24th August 2005, 07:13
The new Raptor looks good doesn't it? I mean for a Yammie :rofl:
Seriously though I read the write up in ATV Action and sounds like an awesome bike.

ESPN (SKY channel 13) has quad racing tonight at 6pm, on something called the outdoors games. Should be good to watch seeing as we never get to see the top Americans racing. Saw clips of it last night.

Stevo

I saw the ESPN stuff too and it was good value !
I dont like Yammys personally but I do like the new Raptor alot especially since they have fixed the height/width problems and have finally put EFI in it.
Still a bit dear though for a trail quad.
What number are you and whats your tow vehicle so I can see you at the nationals.
Both my girls are racing in the mini classes.

Stevo
25th August 2005, 08:11
I am No. 55.
Prob take my old man's ute cos it is way cheaper to cross the Strait with than a trailer. Tis yellow

Stevo
25th August 2005, 08:13
I had the pleasure of working on a quad bike school for 6 months and learned that they can do some mental things once you get your head round them. I prefered the larger sized machines with a bit more weight as they didnt go sideways when airborn. Gonna get stuck in with a Yam WR250 off road for a few months to see what the difference is...
So were you doing this in the States? Let me know if you decide to go back to the "dark side" as I know plenty of quad guys in Nelson. Both trail riders and racers.............

kathmandu
26th August 2005, 13:10
Hi, Just registered on Kiwi Biker.
Nothing wrong with quads. I've ridden two wheelers for the past 26yrs and have just moved to quads. These things are a blast, totally different to 2 wheelers, excellent for sliding, plus when you get tired you just sit back and relax. By the way, the photo that you have on the first page, of the trail ride?..that's me on the YZ with my back to the camera in the blue and white jacket...how freaky is that? I just stumbled across this thread and there I am.

Stevo
27th August 2005, 00:40
Welcome to the site........................
oh and welcome do the dark side :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: