PDA

View Full Version : Good road for 2-3 hr trip from Auckland?

Lteejay
24th May 2007, 13:23
Had a quick search and couldn't find what I wanted, but imagine this has been asked before.

Looking to head out of Auckland overnight this Sat for my first ride out of Auckland. 2-3 hrs would be great and am looking for roads with nice sweepers, would rather stay away from too many twisties for now (I know, sad :shutup: ). Getting more confident in my cornering and would like to practise my leans and lines on nice roads. Was thinking of heading down to Cambridge via Matamata, but those roads are so straight and boring.
What is the road to Raglan like? Have been in a car before, but can't remember.
Any suggestions would be great.

crashe
24th May 2007, 14:05
What about the roads up to Wellsford and then up to Whangarei..
going via Old North, Peak Rd and then up SH16 etc etc.

Or via Albany up SH17 across at Diary Flat corner to Kaukapakapa then up SH16 etc etc.

Or if going south.... what about via the Huannia's (sp) out to Clevdon etc etc onto 27 to Matamata etc then shoot up over the Kaimai's and go to Tauranga for the night or come back on the same day.

xwhatsit
24th May 2007, 15:08
Had a quick search and couldn't find what I wanted, but imagine this has been asked before.

Looking to head out of Auckland overnight this Sat for my first ride out of Auckland. 2-3 hrs would be great and am looking for roads with nice sweepers, would rather stay away from too many twisties for now (I know, sad :shutup: ). Getting more confident in my cornering and would like to practise my leans and lines on nice roads. Was thinking of heading down to Cambridge via Matamata, but those roads are so straight and boring.
What is the road to Raglan like? Have been in a car before, but can't remember.

Road to Raglan is fucking sick. Did it last weekend with GiJoe1313, Insane1 and later Zeroindex. SH22. Awesome. Just look out for cows (and what they leave behind).

Round trip, probably a little more than 2-3hrs.

Lteejay
24th May 2007, 18:12
What about the roads up to Wellsford and then up to Whangarei..
going via Old North, Peak Rd and then up SH16 etc etc.

Or via Albany up SH17 across at Diary Flat corner to Kaukapakapa then up SH16 etc etc.

Or if going south.... what about via the Huannia's (sp) out to Clevdon etc etc onto 27 to Matamata etc then shoot up over the Kaimai's and go to Tauranga for the night or come back on the same day.

Road to Raglan is fucking sick. Did it last weekend with GiJoe1313, Insane1 and later Zeroindex. SH22. Awesome. Just look out for cows (and what they leave behind).

Great - Will take a look at all those roads on the map. Xerxesdaphat - assuming 'sick' is a good thing and not what I will be feeling after riding the road - I might just check that out :p Cheers guys

Blondini
24th May 2007, 18:38
Manukau heads perhaps?Leigh????Ride safe angel:yes:You could call leigh fishing lodge 094226780Keith or lynn and see if they have a room they are great hosts and a real cheap night..Oh and keith is a biker too..Tell them Julie told ya to ring awesome spot up there

Mom
24th May 2007, 18:44
You could always come for a nice ride north, as Crashe suggested, then cut accross Woodcocks to Warkworth, there is a nice place to stay there, with a couple of KBers that dont bite.....then Sunday we can go for a little cruise north around some nice roads, nothing flash or fast, just a cruise.

Lteejay
25th May 2007, 13:22
Cheers mate.
Hows the Katana. I sat on one of these a few months ago and man were they heavy.

The Pastor
25th May 2007, 13:27

22 is a pretty dangerous bit of road, Claimed lots of bikes over the years.

I binned on it, nearly every time ive been down somone has binned.

Me and cam went down 22 and both our bikes were trailord home........

Donor
25th May 2007, 14:08
Mmmm... group ride to Raglan... :drool:

gijoe1313
25th May 2007, 14:37
We ride SH22 at nana speeds and take our time! :lol: I've been down SH22 enough times to know how treacherous it can be :sweatdrop

You got bad roads, intermittant roadworks, weather, pine needles aplenty, tight blind corners, livestock and that other menace ... fast bikers who fang it plenty! :pinch:

Mind you, that gravel route from Raglan to Kawhia is a doozy! :yes: SH22 through to the riverside opposite Huntly is always a nice ride ...

Maha
25th May 2007, 14:45

I suggested on another thread about the a track north of here (Warkworth) where you turn off SH1 before Wellsford (Wayby Valley rd) and head to Mangawhai, where there is a great Tavern for food and a drink. The either head to Waipu or even the road from Mangawhai to Kaiwaka is a blast, only 13 ks long but still, is has it all. :yes: :scooter:

Scouse
25th May 2007, 14:54
You could go to Tirua via the Kopu Hikuai road nice sweepers on that road it would be about a 3 hour ride and there are plenty of places to stay at Tirua

Jimmy B
25th May 2007, 16:08
You could go to Tirua via the Kopu Hikuai road nice sweepers on that road it would be about a 3 hour ride and there are plenty of places to stay at Tirua

What ZRXer said, but go out through Manurewa, Clevedon, Miranda, Kopu, Tairua, overnight and back, do the rest of the loop the next day.

peasea
25th May 2007, 20:01

I second that. Check out what we got up to for a w/e away in Raglan, Bike Rider Magazine Issue 36 (April/May 07) page 61.

You get an easy ride to the hills then a few twisties but it's all good and the location rocks. Eat for cheap at the Raglan Club, they even do a courtesy van if you want to have a couple of drinks etc etc. For details PM me.

Lteejay
26th May 2007, 09:01
Treacherous road to Raglan - I think that says it all GIJOE. Not really what I'm looking for, for my first ride out of town. Thanks for the offer peasea, but think I might stick to something a little bit more learner friendly.
Cheers for advice Maha man and Zxer, will take another look at the roads this morning. Just hoping some of this drizzle will disappear.
Really excited - feel a bit like a kid, cant wait. :sunny:

jtzzr
26th May 2007, 09:09
Hope you enjoy your first real road trip ,take it easy and don`t push the boundaries too far too soon . Are you going alone or are going with a friend it`s always nice to have company . Happy trails:scooter:

Lteejay
26th May 2007, 09:24
Mmmm... group ride to Raglan... :drool:

Sounds good. But being the chicken that I am, maybe another day when I have more balls and a little more confidence :eek:

Lteejay
26th May 2007, 09:26
Hope you enjoy your first real road trip ,take it easy and don`t push the boundaries too far too soon . Are you going alone or are going with a friend it`s always nice to have company . Happy trails:scooter:

The other halfs driving the car, so going to meet him there. I am on a mission at the moment to get him onto a bike by summer.

Maha
26th May 2007, 09:27
Cheers for advice Maha man and Zxer, will take another look at the roads this morning. Just hoping some of this drizzle will disappear.
Really excited - feel a bit like a kid, cant wait. :sunny:

Weather is all good up this way, its dry and sunhine....

gijoe1313
26th May 2007, 15:29
Sounds good. But being the chicken that I am, maybe another day when I have more balls and a little more confidence :eek:

Whenever you are ready, I'll pootle to Raglan with you! Maybe I can convince Stirts to do it as well do we can make a swarm! Bzzzt! :woohoo:

Hope you enjoy your trip and learn a whole passle of stuff - I'll always remember by first road trip as a noobie. Down to the 'Tron to pick up gears from Quasi and riding back in the dark and rain on a country road! :shit: :Punk: :woohoo:

The Pastor
27th May 2007, 14:14
unfortuantly my licence and bike are broken, otherwise i'd be prepared to "give up" a day and teach you how to get ur knee down while doing a wheelie on a blind corner.

When I get my next bike, im going to pack a tent, two cans of baked beans and head off to wellinton for a week.

Stirts
27th May 2007, 18:36
Whenever you are ready, I'll pootle to Raglan with you! Maybe I can convince Stirts to do it as well do we can make a swarm! Bzzzt! :woohoo:

Me wont need much convincing.....:D

iwilde
27th May 2007, 19:15
[QUOTE=renegade master;1071614]unfortuantly my licence and bike are broken, otherwise i'd be prepared to "give up" a day and teach you how to get ur knee down while doing a wheelie on a blind corner.]

Are you Tom and Skidmark reincarnated?

Switch
27th May 2007, 19:49
You should do the Coro loop :banana: Take your time at it and enjoy the scenery :first:

Lteejay
28th May 2007, 07:42
Theres one thing I've learnt on KB over the last few months, you guys and girls dont need much convincing to go on a road trip.
I can now see why - I had an awesome time. Headed up North to Mangawhai Heads via Warkworth. Maha Man and Mom suggested I go to the heads via Wayby Valley Rd which was just the sort of road I was looking for. It helped that it wasn't very busy either. A little bit of rain, but nothing too bad to dampen the spirits.

Stopped in Warkworth for a break and who did I bump into, but Maha Mana and Mom themselves. It was nice to see you guys again - thanks for the tips, it was a bloody lovely ride.

I can feel myself getting more confident in my corners, now I just have to pick up my speeds a bit. I am still nannying around a lot of them - especially compared to those MotoGP guys. Man they rock, watchin them do these tight race corners at 100km in the wet, fucken amazing.

The one thing that did scare the willies out of me was the wind. Its the first time I have felt my whole bike move several feet - christ :shutup: . Took the scenic route home as I didn't want to ride too long on the motorway (boring), nor did I want to head over the harbour bridge with those winds, but instead I got onto a back road heading somewhere near East Coast Bays (or at least somewhere in that general direction). My god, it was the windiest road I had ever been on and I nearly pulled over twice - near shat myself :sick: I now have full respect for you Wellingtonians.
Well with my first road trip out the way, I am itching to head out again.
Thanks for everyones tips :rockon:

90s
28th May 2007, 08:11
Great ride with good roads like the ones you want and little traffic - my vote goes for a trip to the awhitu penisula lighthouse (manaukau heads).
Gets a little wiggley towards the top, but lots of empty long wide sweepers with hills and good distance visibility.
Total return from Auckland about 250k to the top, 3-4 hrs.

Lteejay
28th May 2007, 13:13
Great ride with good roads like the ones you want and little traffic - my vote goes for a trip to the awhitu penisula lighthouse (manaukau heads).
Gets a little wiggley towards the top, but lots of empty long wide sweepers with hills and good distance visibility.
Total return from Auckland about 250k to the top, 3-4 hrs.

Sounds good - might just check that out.

gijoe1313
28th May 2007, 13:20
:woohoo: Way to go! Now you have been introduced to the fine art of pootling! Riding every which way but loose! Don't forget to give your little hornet a good wash, shine and re-lube the chain, after those kms, it'll luvvers you for it :love:

So, just need to catch up with you so I can cast my covetous eyes over your hornet! :drool:

:niceone:

Lteejay
28th May 2007, 13:40
Thanks for the heads up on the chain. All these things I dont really know about maintenance. Need to start reading some maintenance books me thinks.

gijoe1313
28th May 2007, 13:46
Thanks for the heads up on the chain. All these things I dont really know about maintenance. Need to start reading some maintenance books me thinks.

Not to worry, Mr.gijoe1313's patented pootling perchance to perform maintenance and manual adjustments and advice to all and sundry is in effect!

If you ever need a hand or a heads-up about your little ol'hornet, I will rock on by (any excuse for a ride! :innocent:) and ensure your ride receives top notch attention to detail!

Maha
28th May 2007, 14:07
Stopped in Warkworth for a break and who did I bump into, but Maha Mana

Seems i have Mana!....Meke on the Mana Lana....Chur.....:niceone:

Happy the road suited you, and that ride out to the Manakau heads is a beauty also, was out there a few weeks ago, yum yum....:yes: