PDA

View Full Version : My cock is leaking

slopster
25th May 2007, 12:45
The vacuum fuel cock on my gsxr is leaking fuel. The fuel leaks through the little breather hole on the side when the motor is running. I pulled it apart and the only thing that could cause this is if the vacuum diaphram is not working properely. It looks ok though but I guess maybe its just not sealing as well as it should due to age etc. I called suzuki about it and they don't sell the diaphram they only sell the whole fuel cock for about $150. If I blocked the breather hole and took the spring out of the pump surely the fuel would flow through ok and wouldn't the carb floats stop the fuel flowing through when I'm stopped.

vifferman
25th May 2007, 12:51
I called suzuki about it and they don't sell the diaphram they only sell the whole fuel cock for about $150.
That pisses me off. The fact that you could pull it apart indicates that the bits should be available individually.

But don't give up: I've had this same problem before on other bikes and didn't need to buy another petcock (nor a wildcock), so you may figure out how to fix it without going the $150 route.

The Stranger
25th May 2007, 13:18
The vacuum fuel cock on my gsxr is leaking fuel. The fuel leaks through the little breather hole on the side when the motor is running. I pulled it apart and the only thing that could cause this is if the vacuum diaphram is not working properely. It looks ok though but I guess maybe its just not sealing as well as it should due to age etc. I called suzuki about it and they don't sell the diaphram they only sell the whole fuel cock for about $150. If I blocked the breather hole and took the spring out of the pump surely the fuel would flow through ok and wouldn't the carb floats stop the fuel flowing through when I'm stopped.

On my YZF 750 Yamaha the previous owner had removed the fuel pump. It ran fine except for 2 things. It ran out of puff at top end it the fuel tank was down a bit and also ran out of fuel when there was clearly fuel in the tank. The last say 2 litres were unusable.

Storm
25th May 2007, 13:24
Nice thread title Sloppy, you 2 Field devo you !
Try ringing wreckers/bike shops to source spares/alternatives/other fuel cocks that will fit your setup