PDA

View Full Version : A Fact

mark247
25th May 2007, 14:45
"Motorcycling is as popular now as it was 20 years ago, but rider casualties for every mile travelled are 30% lower compared to the early 1980's"

You would of thought it would of increased considering there are so many more cars and idiot drivers?

What do you guys think?

MSTRS
25th May 2007, 14:48
Stands to reason. Bikes are better (as a rule). Tyres are better. The graduated licence system means bikes are more appropriate to experience.

mark247
25th May 2007, 14:57
Stands to reason. Bikes are better (as a rule). Tyres are better. The graduated licence system means bikes are more appropriate to experience.

I suppose bikes were slower as well

MSTRS
25th May 2007, 15:02

True, though not by much. Gear is possibly the biggest feature - more universally worn cos it's readily available in a large variety of styles and types, and like the seatbelt message most of us now accept that using it is not an option..

mark247
25th May 2007, 15:06
True, though not by much. Gear is possibly the biggest feature - more universally worn cos it's readily available in a large variety of styles and types, and like the seatbelt message most of us now accept that using it is not an option..

Yeah i agree, some people just dont get it though. Today i saw an older guy riding around on a brand new 250, he had a helmet, gloves, and a motorcycle jacket on, but he was wearing shorts and boat shoes.....

Good luck to him when he falls off, i guess half of him will still have skin on.

gijoe1313
25th May 2007, 15:07
I wonder if KB has had any appropos effect on biking attitudes? :scratch: When did this site start up?

James Deuce
25th May 2007, 15:15
I wonder if KB has had any appropos effect on biking attitudes?

It sure has. I'm no longer an ATGATT nerd and evangelist and I've stopped craving the acceptance of my "fellow" motorcyclist. I also really and honestly don't care what you ride. Or not.

Steam
25th May 2007, 15:20
"Motorcycling is as popular now as it was 20 years ago, but rider casualties for every mile travelled are 30% lower compared to the early 1980's"

Interesting!! Where did that come from, was there any analysis why?
I reckon cos of the Graduated License system and the wearing of safetly gear

mark247
25th May 2007, 15:22
Interesting!! Where did that come from, was there any analysis why?
I reckon cos of the Graduated License system and the wearing of safetly gear

I just read it on some motorcycle fact website.

MSTRS
25th May 2007, 15:35
It sure has. I'm no longer an ATGATT nerd and evangelist and I've stopped craving the acceptance of my "fellow" motorcyclist. I also really and honestly don't care what you ride. Or not.

It's sad that you no longer have a release for your pent up frustrations...
You need to turn back a page or three and vent where necessary.
This installment of your anger management plan brought to you by the letters U,R, A, F + W

JimO
25th May 2007, 16:01

my kawasaki 1979 Z1R 1000 had a top speed of 220ks and was supposed to do the standing 1/4 in under 12 sec not bad for a bike thats frame was made out of spagetti and had skinney little tyres and no brakes

Hitcher
15th June 2007, 20:05
I just read it on some motorcycle fact website.

Could you please post a link?

mark247
15th June 2007, 21:04
Could you please post a link?

http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/Motorbike_Facts.html

Toaster
15th June 2007, 21:24
The stats presented - if correct - are a result of many things:

Heavy overt and covert road policing
Road construction/barriers etc
Education on defensive riding
Technology in bikes brakes etc etc
Better medical response and care

...and quite possibly some statisitical error in the sample and analysis.

Now... off to post drivel and read some jokes....

Chrislost
15th June 2007, 21:34
FACT hospitals, ambos, helocoptors, CELLPHONES are all much better then they were then too

the first hour after you go down is the most important to making a good/decent/dead recovery...

90s
15th June 2007, 23:40
The stats presented - if correct - are a result of many things:

Heavy overt and covert road policing
Road construction/barriers etc
Education on defensive riding
Technology in bikes brakes etc etc
Better medical response and care

...and quite possibly some statisitical error in the sample and analysis.

Now... off to post drivel and read some jokes....

erm ... with you on the last bit. Lies, damn lies and statistics and all that. UK Dept. of Transport figs, based on this dubiously come by figure:
"Motorbikes and mopeds travelled 5.1 billion kilometres in 2002", plus reported accidents (which as a %?)
Note also that the govt. has hit its targets because of these bike figs.

I have no doubt that riders are safer now than in the previous 30 yrs or so because of many advances in bikes, gear, roads, medical and esp. tyres.

But I've done some work for these jokers and other UK stats govt. sources and have very, very little faith in these figs.
As soon as they want to impose speed limits, cameras, legislate against bikes of certain classes etc. the figs will support the fact that bikes are more dangerous than ever.