PDA

View Full Version : Left-hand rear brake?

slopster
25th May 2007, 21:42
Has anyone put a left hand brake lever on. I've seen them in some photos but stuff buying a proper kit. Could you use a front brake lever upside down with a long brake hose and then use a double hole banjo bolt on the rear caliper so that you could use the hand brake and the foot brake would still work. Would a front master cylinder be the right sort of size to control a rear brake without being to spongy or firm? Would it work OK upside down? I've spent way to much time wheelieing a mountainbike and find myself slipping the clutch to control wheelies (cos thats the rear brake on a pushie) and clutches are too expensive to treat like that.

ZeroIndex
26th May 2007, 03:29
Has anyone put a left hand brake lever on. I've seen them in some photos but stuff buying a proper kit. Could you use a front brake lever upside down with a long brake hose and then use a double hole banjo bolt on the rear caliper so that you could use the hand brake and the foot brake would still work. Would a front master cylinder be the right sort of size to control a rear brake without being to spongy or firm? Would it work OK upside down? I've spent way to much time wheelieing a mountainbike and find myself slipping the clutch to control wheelies (cos thats the rear brake on a pushie) and clutches are too expensive to treat like that.

What do you plan on doing with the clutch?

kinger
26th May 2007, 07:38
I was thinking that too, then remembered the new FJR has a tiptronic style gearbox.
You could fit the master cylinder and clutch lever from any bike with a hydraulic clutch. May be a bit tight for space with a double banjo bolt though.

slopster
26th May 2007, 16:00
I was thinking put the brake lever down under the clutch but your right there isn't much room to work with on the clipons. You'd have to cock your wrist on a bit of a funny angle but its not like you'd be doing it all day. I thought about a hydro clutch lever but I think the piston would be too small or too big because it wasn't made to work with a brake cylinder.

ghostrider
26th May 2007, 16:17
double banjo wont work u need a junction valve.

Romeo
27th May 2007, 23:40
There's a short video on YouTube where the guy has this setup on his bike - you probably wont learn anything from it but it might help some people who have no idea what you're talking about...

The interesting part starts at around 1:30 (the clock counts down, so it's actually about 1:20 from the end)
POsJrtJeIHU

Big Dog
28th May 2007, 00:11
Could always use a thumb brake like some of the racers do.

ZeroIndex
13th June 2007, 01:41
Here's exactly what you're looking for (http://www.moto-heaven.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=219)