PDA

View Full Version : Is there a trick to getting the end cap off an exhaust pipe?

El Dopa
26th May 2007, 17:56
Is there a trick to getting the end cap off an exhaust pipe?

A while ago, I bought a couple of twin carbon cans from a wrecker for a project bike. They were cheap because on one of them the front end cap and the carbon around it was slighly roadrashed, and it had a couple of minor dents.

I thought it would be quite straightforward to get the cap off, fix a new strap in place, possibly drill a couple of new rivet holes and then rivet it all back together. And perhaps while it was apart, the baffling might 'accidentally' fall out.

However, I've drilled and tapped out the rivets, but the end cap won't budge. It's slightly skew already from sliding down the road, but it won't budge more than a couple of mil each way.

Am I missing something bleeding obvious? How do I get the bastard off? And once it's off, how do I get it back on again?

98tls
26th May 2007, 18:00
Cant think what your missing mate.........on mine its drill out rivets and off it comes...............maybe wiggle it about a bit while spraying lubricant in there.......let it soak awhile and have another crack................

The Lone Rider
26th May 2007, 19:52
Different bike that I have, but just from my own experience the suckers take some brute force and wiggling to get them to release the sweet lovin inners.

El Dopa
26th May 2007, 20:46
maybe wiggle it about a bit while spraying lubricant in there.......let it soak awhile and have another crack................

WD40...? 5.56....? KY....?

Different bike that I have, but just from my own experience the suckers take some brute force and wiggling to get them to release the sweet lovin inners.

Thanks. I'm a bit worried about damaging the can some more. I tried the brute force approach from one angle and heard the carbon start to crack. Backed off pretty sharpish.

98tls
26th May 2007, 20:48
Good luck mate.........have given it a bit of thought but cant really work it out........after i drilled rivets out mine was easy...................as for what to spray...........any of those you mentioned i reckon............

Multiman
31st May 2007, 17:01
Waht is the end plate made from? it has probably formed an attachment for the baffle pipe. can you take the other end off?

El Dopa
31st May 2007, 20:29
Waht is the end plate made from? it has probably formed an attachment for the baffle pipe. can you take the other end off?

Front end plate is stainless. It's a bit roadrashed and dented, and may well have 'formed an attachment', as you say.

I am thinking hard about taking the other end off and getting in at the can that way. I am hesitating because that end of the can is (at the moment) in good condition, and I don't want to screw it up. I may well bite the bullet soon.

Multiman
3rd June 2007, 18:36
I think you have to, just go careful and it should be ok.

vagrant
4th June 2007, 12:06
The carbon can I got from cycleworks (I think) for my RC30 had the front plate welded to the pipe and then the rest of the muffler was assembled from the rear.
Perhaps yours is like this.
If its mass produced, it may have been assembled like a car muffler, no welds, but crimped and rolled to hold the end plates in position. That may be why you can move it a little bit, but not get it out.