PDA

View Full Version : Seems Like My Bike Is Costing Me More Than Expected

DarkNinja
10th September 2004, 10:34
Ive Had My Kawa 89' Ninja (GPX) 250 For About 6 Months Now,
At first it was a really good investment, i was loving it and its a brilliant bike,
Then i started to notice wierd things and i dont know if this is me or not:
I live on a hill and so when i come home from work/play i just chuck the bike into nuetral, then off while i wait for a garage door to open, then just roll it in, When i'mdoing this tho, it sounds like the brake pad is contacting with the disc, i didnt think much of it at first but now a couple of ridges are appearing on the disc.
Other things include the seals going, finding out just how much tread there ISNT on my rear wheel, the front brake not working very well, and other stuff i cant remember quite well. Oh, and the bearings going which made me turn back from the ride last sunday :( Sorry guys

So heres my question: The bike is imported from japan about last year, is it common for second hand bikes this old to just be wearing out? Or hav i been sold a lemon?

Im guessing i could replace those parts, fix it up and all the rest, but unfortunatly with my experience (0) i cant do much but wash it every couple of weeks.
My Next Question is to do with my experience in repairing bikes, whats the best way to do it? i dont want to fork out $50/hr for sumthing really simple.

Sorry for the long message, im just a bit worried its gonna fall apart on me.

Bandito
10th September 2004, 10:53
I can't comment on tour particular bike but my son had GPX 250 and run to 95,000km when we sold it with nothing more than regular maintainence so they are a tough little bugger. Regarding your mechanical dilemma i'd suggest you buy manual some tools and have a go-if I can do it anybody can! besides there is always plenty of support from fellow KBers should you get stuck(unlike me some of them know what they are talking about) but like me working on your own bike and gaining better knowledge can only improve your appreciation of your fine steed. GOOD LUCK

curious george
10th September 2004, 11:04
Buy a repair manual.
I assume you have the desire to do this yourself, and are happy to buy some tools, and stuff to do this yourself?
I have had the same bike, which my brother now has, so I can probably help with a fair bit. I've got some micreofche around too somewhere.

vifferman
10th September 2004, 11:34
Do I have to answer this on both threads?

It doesn't sound like there's any reason to panic or despair, at the moment (save it for later on?), as the few things you've mentioned aren't that major. However, it's important that you do keep up the maintenance on the bike, as your life depends on it being in good, safe, working order.
Part of the pleasure of bike ownership is working on the thing, and most tasks aren't that hard. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people on KB willing to give you advice, help, and to lend you tools, etc.

curious george
10th September 2004, 11:40
I've added an extra post to boost support for this thread. :headbang:
Come on guys! Dont let the other thread beat us!!!

dhunt
10th September 2004, 12:19
well I'll add my $0.02 to THIS thread. I've yet to own a bike that new but in my limited experence you will expect a bit more mantaince on an older biker as oppose to a new bike. But not huge amounts more. I would suggest you buy a workshop manual or look for one on the net and try and and do the basic stuff yourself. Think of it as a learning experience, not only do you get a cheaper biker (than buying new) you get to learn more about it.

David

P.S Support this thread, not the other one.

vifferman
10th September 2004, 12:26
I've added an extra post to boost support for this thread. :headbang:
Come on guys! Dont let the other thread beat us!!!Quality before quantity.
Oops! Now I've given this thread an advantage. Better pop over to the other one...

vifferman
10th September 2004, 13:01
Quality before quantity.
Oops! Now I've given this thread an advantage. Better pop over to the other one...Damn! Now the other thread is ahead!:doh:
That's what you get when you interfere!

merv
10th September 2004, 13:01
Bugger this thread I aint talking here.

curious george
10th September 2004, 13:04
BUt we still have more views than the other!!!
Don't give up now!

O/T Is anything in either thread helping you DarkNinja?

dhunt
10th September 2004, 13:30
It's certainly an interesting idea having to threads exactly the same. Hopefully there is something useful in THIS thread as opposed to the "other" thread.

vifferman
10th September 2004, 13:44
The other twin seems to be older by one minute, and more vigorous.

Interesting to see how two twins, born at approximately the same time, and identical at birth, reared in the same environment, can turn out so differently.:yeah:

Motu
10th September 2004, 14:32
I'm not supporting this thread,it's for losers,everyone please go to the other thread,nothing to see here...move along now...

dhunt
10th September 2004, 14:55
I'm not supporting this thread,it's for losers,everyone please go to the other thread,nothing to see here...move along now...
At least this thread is on the home page. Not like the "other" thread.

Motu
10th September 2004, 15:16
Yeah,well....if people stopped bloody posting in it,then it wouldn't be on the front page!!!!

toads
10th September 2004, 16:30
it sounds like your front brake cylinder/s is jammed on partially, causing the noise you describe and also the excessive tyre wear, an easy way to check if this is the case is to lift the front wheel off the ground and see if it turns freely, if not, your brakes are jammed on all the time, this is dangerous and wears your brakes, tyres etc out reallly fast, you will need a set of allen keys, metric spanners and someone to help out that has done this before, your brakes are not to be messed with in ignorance. cheers Lucy

curious george
10th September 2004, 16:37
Hmmmmmmmm.
It's a bit quiet from DarkRider........
You there?
That mechanics course evening in Wellytown sounds pretty good...

Posh Tourer :P
10th September 2004, 19:47
I'm going to add to the leading thread - not that it has anything useful in it apart from more posts.....

Noise would be pretty normal, if you have squeaky brakes or something then more noise than usual. Pads dont normally back off the disk much, and often end up making a bit of noise as you push the bike in. Nothing to worry about.

DarkNinja
10th September 2004, 19:48
Sorry guys i went to work earlier, i didnt expect so many replies so fast!
Thanks for all the advice, i recognise now that i need to take it in stride and get the manual etc. I realised after posting this about the welly mechanics class i'd be all too keen to do anything to improve my skills.
Thanks all for you support to this thread, im just about to read the other one! i think i accidently hit refresh or sumthing, hence the 2 posts.

10th September 2004, 19:48
If ridges are appearing on the disk, take the pads out and sand them flat. That will wear the ridges off eventually. You might need to do it a couple of times. This is just due to a bit of dirt or somethign getting in

10th September 2004, 19:49
Hows that - 3 posts in what could have been one.

AND Dark Ninja read this first....

Yamahamaman
10th September 2004, 20:08
Ive Had My Kawa 89' Ninja (GPX) 250 For About 6 Months Now.
Yeah, funny things about motor vehicles. Brakes wear out, tyres wear out, oil needs changing and oil filters need replacing. All is life when owning a motor vehicle.

As for a 15 year old imported vehicle, generally you are 'on your own' after the cheque has cleared (approximately 5 business days).

An honest motor vehicle dealer is a myth.

Firefight
10th September 2004, 20:11
Hows that - 3 posts in what could have been one..

Yes well done PT :first:

and maybe one more if you reply to my praise post.

F/F :ride:

10th September 2004, 20:43
Yes well done PT :first:

and maybe one more if you reply to my praise post.

F/F :ride:

Bite....

Thank you... Thank you.... All congratulatory donations can be given at the KB Rally....Particularly if you want to fund a small amount of sensible consumption of..... yeah.