PDA

View Full Version : How to remove handlebar mounts?

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 00:07
'Allo,

My CB250RS caffeination project has momentarily stalled as I am flat broke. However, there's a couple of things I want to do that don't need parts purchased.

One of these has me stumped. I put clipons onto my bike; the bike has MX-style bars standard. This has left me with a nice pair of handlebar mounts, that not only look ugly, but cause WOF testers to go `Qué?', and then I have to tell them some bullshit story. Also I'd like to mount the speedo in that vicinity, and I don't have much room.

I want to get rid of the bastards. It's not like you can unbolt them, or anything, they're sort of cast as part of the top triple clamp.

Is this something I can take a grinder to? It'll look like arse, though; can I then sand off the rest or something? Lastly, the whole thing is painted matte black, or it's chemically treated black (like the engine); is this something I can sand off (as it won't be black the whole way through, underneath the handlebar mounts)?

Thank-you for your collective brain.

gijoe1313
27th May 2007, 00:23
Post pics damn your eyes midshipman! :lol: Money!? I think you exist without it somehow - and how you keep your pride and joy going fills me with marvel! I'm doing Dandi at the moment so I can well appreciate what you've been going through. Difference is I have coin to rub together to do it!

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 00:28
Post pics damn your eyes midshipman! :lol: Money!? I think you exist without it somehow - and how you keep your pride and joy going fills me with marvel! I'm doing Dandi at the moment so I can well appreciate what you've been going through. Difference is I have coin to rub together to do it!

No camera right now! Be patient until a new day dawns and I can sneak it out of the room where somebody's sleeping :yes: I'd have a camera of my own but I gifted dear Natalie chain and sprockets :lol:

And you teachers are asking for a pay rise. Shame, shame, shame! I suppose you don't have a wifey-poo gobbling up bike-money to spend on shoes and restaurants... maybe I should dump my girlfriend? :innocent:

Pictures tomorrow. Anybody have any idea what metal it's made out of? The triple clamp, that is. I won't structurally weaken it by grinding those bits off?

Colapop
27th May 2007, 00:31
Just take a grinder to it!! If it doesn't work then get a new one...

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 00:35
Just take a grinder to it!! If it doesn't work then get a new one...

You take a grinder to it. My puny girl-arms pale in comparison to your hug-of-death limbs.

I'm sure it's possible to grind the bastards. Problem is getting it neat, so it's smooth and looks like they never were there. Not sure if sandpaper will cut it (hehehe I made a pun).

Also, being a BSci student, not a BEng student, I don't know whether doing this will cause the triple clamp to collapse the next time I hit a pothole and then I end up with 33mm (that's the size of CB250RS forks, according to my calipers! I find this out after I buy 32mm clipons :shutup:) forks sticking out of my forehead.

Colapop
27th May 2007, 00:38
GO TO THE ENG. dept. and get a CnC cut triple tree without the extra bits on it....

skidMark
27th May 2007, 01:19
GO TO THE ENG. dept. and get a CnC cut triple tree without the extra bits on it....

what he said........

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 01:22
Didn't I tell you I was flat broke?

They'll ask for beer, and I'm nearly through my Asahi. Plus, every time I go to the engineering department they make fun of me, because I don't have a pocket protector and I broke my scientific calculator.

skidMark
27th May 2007, 01:42
hacksaw....grinder....sandpaper....patience....spr aycan....

Kickaha
27th May 2007, 08:14
Find soneone with a mill and get them to take them off, failing that a grinder and clean it up later with a file etc

Some triple clamps by the time you grind the mounts off leave you with a couple of holes in them, have a look on the bottom surface and see how thick it is.

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 13:13
Ah, good point. Can't have that -- will look even more conspicuous!

Cheers.

jonbuoy
27th May 2007, 14:15
I hacksawed and ground them off. I put a plate over the holes left but I was thinking about a couple of lumps of that two part metal epoxy in the gaps and spray paint over the top. Its surprising how easily you can carve aluminum with a bastard file - more like a very hard wood than metal. I'm polishing up fork legs and brake calipers and stuff at the moment going from the rough cast orange peel factory finish to polished. My fingers are wrecked. and sheets of emery paper have started chasing me in my dreams.....

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 15:15
Just checked and there will indeed be holes left. A bit of a pisser. Two part metal epoxy... time to investigate :yes: