PDA

View Full Version : SV650 vs. SV650s (for touring)

shcabbeh
27th May 2007, 02:37
So I have my eyes set on an SV650 or SV650s as my next bike.

I'm having a hard time deciding which would suit me better overall so thought I'd get some opinions on each of them for touring, as I'll be doing that frequently.

In the case of the SV650, does the lack of fairing affect the comfort so much for the long haul? With the increased wind I've read it can get tiring. I'm just wondering if it's likely to be more or less tiring than the 650S which has the fairing but the tradeoff of a more aggressive riding position.

It looks like a bit of a catch 22, one has a more comfortable riding position and no fairing, the other has a fairing but a less comfortable riding position.

I have toured on my little GSX-R250 before, but as you can imagine that gets achey after around 200km.

I'm only really wanting opinions on this from a touring perspective at this stage. I appreciate any advice/comments, cheers.

Mike

skidMark
27th May 2007, 02:41
well for touring you need to be comfortable, i would choose that over anything if i was going long haul...yes the fairings will make a difference protect you from bugs etc...

but surely somebody could adapt some fairings to the non fairinged one for you

just my thoughts

cheers: Mark

ZeroIndex
27th May 2007, 03:15
I would go with the faired version. Everyday use, sporty riding, and especially touring will be made easier with fairing due to less wind, plus better aerodynamics due to a constant air pocket thingy....

Highlander
27th May 2007, 03:39
I recently did the Southern Cross on a naked bike (5350 km in a week).
Yes I did note my neck getting sore from the wind buffeting by the end of 13 hrs riding but for shorter rides 4 -5 hrs no problem.
I have a couple of friends recently gone from fully faired to naked bikes and they have commented the wind blast reminds them how fast they are going and helps keep speed down.

Largely I think you will get used to what ever you have.

Get something you enjoy riding, then ride it.

paturoa
27th May 2007, 08:10
I believe that the position is different between the 1000s and the 650s with the 650- slightly more upright. That said for my 1000s at about 110 kph my wrists are neutral. I sometimes get a sore arse but have been using a sheepskin and it is fine for long hauls. So for me I've found the s version quite comfortable for touring. I've never got the sore neck thing that you get from holding your head forward that you get on nakeds.

Around town is an entirely different matter - lol.

shcabbeh
27th May 2007, 18:50
Yeah I'd have to say my biggest complaint about my Gixxer for touring was a sore arse, though my shoulder/back started aching one time too. I've never had a sore neck from riding. I guess it comes down to which is worse, a sore arse or a sore neck. :P

I will be using mine for commuting around town too, though I don't find that too bad as it's usually only for a short duration.

Buster
27th May 2007, 19:07
I cant speak for the 650 & 650S, but on the 1000 & 1000s the riding position is alot different. I find engine braking around town on my 'S' kills my wrists faster than open road riding. The S is definately more for open roads, and the standard is for around town hooliganism. :Punk:

Coyote
27th May 2007, 19:16
You could get a windscreen to go on top of the 650's front light, Ducati Monster style

Although the S looks so good, go for that and get the rearsets and handlebars off the naked model :D

shcabbeh
27th May 2007, 19:59
I cant speak for the 650 & 650S, but on the 1000 & 1000s the riding position is alot different. I find engine braking around town on my 'S' kills my wrists faster than open road riding. The S is definately more for open roads, and the standard is for around town hooliganism. :Punk:

I'm loving that .gif image, thanks! It definitely helps see the differences that you normally only read about.

As a general question, are naked bikes made more for commuting or what?

You could get a windscreen to go on top of the 650's front light, Ducati Monster style

Although the S looks so good, go for that and get the rearsets and handlebars off the naked model

Yeah I have a model of the Duke monster, I really like its style. That sounds pretty expensive though.

Pumba
27th May 2007, 21:02
Cant speak for the 650 but I did I good tour over Easter on the 1000s, about 1500km cant remeber the exact figure, and found the the handle bar position was fine, my biggest problem was the seat. After I fairly continuis ride from Wanganui home via Stratford and the Forgotten higway my arse was numb as.

Need to find time to get the seat to the Rider guys in Tauranga.

SVboy
27th May 2007, 21:21
I did about 7-8000km on my SV650s-mostly on the open road-between 1 to 6-7 hr trips. I found the seat was fine and fairing great. I was always fresh when I arrived. My only issue was my right wrist going to sleep thanks to the sports position of the clipons. This could be managed by clamping the tank with knees, making sure elbows bent, and not grasping the grip too hard. This has been my only issue with the bike and with several trips being around 700kms in one day, I found the bike great. :rockon:

Eric
27th May 2007, 21:22
I ride the 650s model and have recently done a eastcoast trip from Wellington. So basically, riding for 3 days covering some 1700km's. I must say that I was very impressed with the fairing how little that may be.

Depending on your torso length, you can duck a little by moving your arse back up the seat a bit and travel like this for some time in high winds.

I have never ridden the 650 naked version. My choice would be to get a small screen to avoid bugs and have some cover how little this may be.

Travelling 2-up is not that comfortable. My wife thought it was :oi-grr: good

Around town the 650s can be a little tiring on the palms I found. But overall its a great bike and you'll have lots of fun with either the 650 or the 650s. Plenty of low down grunt to get you out of tricky situations happily, with good economy to boot:yes:

Good luck deciding.

Eric

shcabbeh
27th May 2007, 22:08
Thanks for the input guys, it's good to hear from owners of the bikes.

Any straight 650 owners with info on how they tour?

far queue
27th May 2007, 22:39
Any straight 650 owners with info on how they tour?As opposed to gay ones do you mean? :dodge:

shcabbeh
27th May 2007, 22:44
Haha shit, not sure how I missed that.

Zapf
28th May 2007, 01:14
the S has better headlights. And the fairing will make longer days easier on the neck.

shcabbeh
28th May 2007, 15:44
the S has better headlights. And the fairing will make longer days easier on the neck.

When you say better, do you mean better looking, better quality or...?

SPman
28th May 2007, 16:09
Better projecting - ie, you can see more.

shcabbeh
28th May 2007, 16:45
Ahh, I didn't even consider that there could be much of a difference. Thanks, from what ya'll have said so far it seems the S is the better choice though I'd still like some input from SV650 owners if possible!

I appreciate all the help.

Zapf
28th May 2007, 17:17
Ahh, I didn't even consider that there could be much of a difference. Thanks, from what ya'll have said so far it seems the S is the better choice though I'd still like some input from SV650 owners if possible!

I appreciate all the help.

I was a SV650S owner :) and also knows 2 other 650 non S owners :)

shcabbeh
28th May 2007, 19:48
I was a SV650S owner :) and also knows 2 other 650 non S owners :)

First or second generation? Man, I'm glad there's so much choice here but it sure does up the amount of research you need to do. I suppose it'll be worth it in the end.

McJim
28th May 2007, 19:58
Try a few and broaden your horizons.

Ducati Monster 620/750/800 - cheaper used than you think and longer service intervals than SV!
Cagiva Raptor 650
Hyosung GT650/GT650R
Kawasaki ER6N/F

You need to find what's right for you - all you will get here are opinions of what suits others.

For example - I get agony in my back and wrists from a SV650 (upright) riding position - 50km and I'm miserable BUT on a race geometry bike I can ride all day and not notice any discomfort. This is a throwback from being a racing cyclist of course - so you see I would say SV650S because it's faired AND has a comfortable riding position - for me the SV650 has neither.

You need to try for yourself.

Zapf
28th May 2007, 20:16
First or second generation?

2nd Gen. Also since you are looking at it for touring. You CAN get GIVI hard luggage racks to fit pannier / topboxes. Also a nice tank bag can let you lie on the tank for a all day ride.

Ducati Monster 620/750/800 - cheaper used than you think and longer service intervals than SV!
Cagiva Raptor 650
Hyosung GT650/GT650R
Kawasaki ER6N/F

I would think the SV is better build than the Hyosung... Also depending on how tall / big are you. The SV is a lot of roomy. E.g if you were to strap a bag / things onto the pillion seat how long is the pillion seat?

shcabbeh
28th May 2007, 21:32

Cagiva Raptor 650
Hyosung GT650/GT650R
Kawasaki ER6N/F

You need to find what's right for you - all you will get here are opinions of what suits others.

For example - I get agony in my back and wrists from a SV650 (upright) riding position - 50km and I'm miserable BUT on a race geometry bike I can ride all day and not notice any discomfort. This is a throwback from being a racing cyclist of course - so you see I would say SV650S because it's faired AND has a comfortable riding position - for me the SV650 has neither.

You need to try for yourself.

Thanks, I'll definitely be test riding as much as I can over the next few months. My horizons are fairly broad already, it's taken me a long time to come to these two bikes in the first place.

The reason I'm asking is most shops will not let me test ride a bike for a long touring session, so it's harder to tell that way.

I would think the SV is better build than the Hyosung... Also depending on how tall / big are you. The SV is a lot of roomy. E.g if you were to strap a bag / things onto the pillion seat how long is the pillion seat?

I'm of average height (5'9/175cm), not huge by anyone's standards.

shcabbeh
28th May 2007, 23:04

Cagiva Raptor 650
Hyosung GT650/GT650R
Kawasaki ER6N/F

Another thing, you're definitely right about the dukes being cheaper than I thought!

Most of those bikes are naked which I do like, though I don't know how well they tour.

I'm gonna extend this to naked bikes in general now:
I want to know if the more relaxed riding position is worth the extra bugs/windblast with touring. Any more thoughts/opinions would be appreciated, thanks a lot.

Zapf
29th May 2007, 01:34
I want to know if the more relaxed riding position is worth the extra bugs/windblast with touring.

I haven't made up my mind either... look at me.

VTR250 (naked) -> SV650S (faired) -> GSXR750 (faired) -> CB900 Hornet (naked) -> CBR1100xx (faired) !

screen is good for keeping out of rain / cold wind / bugs and most of all that stiff neck at the end of the day

Whynot
29th May 2007, 01:39
http://forums.sv650.org/index.php

anything you need to know about SVs is in there

shcabbeh
29th May 2007, 02:20
http://forums.sv650.org/index.php

anything you need to know about SVs is in there

Thanks mate.

jafar
29th May 2007, 22:04
Most of those bikes are naked which I do like, though I don't know how well they tour.

I'm gonna extend this to naked bikes in general now:
I want to know if the more relaxed riding position is worth the extra bugs/windblast with touring. Any more thoughts/opinions would be appreciated, thanks a lot.

Touring on a naked isn't a problem, 'windblast' /'buffetting' are not a big deal on any naked bike. The wind against your upper body takes the weight off your arms. The bike is less prone to sidewind than a faired model.
You are more aware of your speed on a naked than a faired bike & the 'fun factor' kicks in @ a lower speed too.
Naked bikes are cheaper to buy & cheaper to repair:Punk: check the prices on a replacement fairing :shit:
THe advantages associated with fairings are often only there once you reach illeagle speeds.

shcabbeh
29th May 2007, 23:32
Cheers for that! I'm glad someone trumpets naked bikes because I've always liked them. They seem more like a motorcycle than a toy to me. No doubt just as fun in the twisties too.

I'll definitely consider this as part of my decision, thanks.

Whynot
29th May 2007, 23:53
Personally i would get the S model for touring, I had a naked SV and it was great around town but motorways were hard work ... especially on a windy day.

The S is geared slightly higher, i think its a bit longer and obviously has fairings and clipons.

however in saying that, the naked has a more comfortable riding position ...

edit: this thread may help
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=90064

xwhatsit
30th May 2007, 00:23
They seem more like a motorcycle than a toy to me.

You've hit the nail on the head -- that's exactly what I've always thought. I'm stealing this line from somewhere (maybe from somebody on KB?), but I thought the same when I was a kid; I like cars, but motorcycles have got the priorities right -- the engine, it's right where you can see it! As is most of the rest of the important bits. No point in covering up the beauty, hell I even pulled the side covers off my bike. Airbox and battery is next so you can see the carb :love:

Anyway, that was off topic. But he's right, the wind buffeting is the least of my worries; it takes the weight off your wrists, which is even more important for me now as I've fitted clipons for more twisty fun; if I had a fairing then all the weight would be on my wrists and that would be a bitch (as is commuting). Hence the faired SV650 would be a bad choice for me, as not only do you have a fairing, but it's causing wrist pressure to be even worse than the clipons suggest.

In fact the faired bikes that I've been on (KR150 for any distance), the fairing takes the wind off your chest, but your helmet still cops a fair bit of wash, and it's annoying buffeting wind, not the constant stream you get on a naked.

Complete opposite of McJim's opinion lol.

shcabbeh
30th May 2007, 01:09
Personally i would get the S model for touring, I had a naked SV and it was great around town but motorways were hard work ... especially on a windy day.

The S is geared slightly higher, i think its a bit longer and obviously has fairings and clipons.

however in saying that, the naked has a more comfortable riding position ...

edit: this thread may help
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=90064

Thanks for the link, though they seem just as divided as us here! I'm gonna have to test ride both, methinks...not that I'm complaining. :shifty:

Hopefully colemans will let me take one for at least an hour so I can get a good feel to 'em.

Complete opposite of McJim's opinion lol.

Haha, I wanted different opinions, cheers!

Pwalo
30th May 2007, 08:09
I see you've got plenty of feedback. FWIW I find the S pretty comfortable round town, as well as on the open road.

I had a GS500 with a Givi screen before the SV, and after a couple of weeks found the SV more comfortable. Like one of your earlier respondents I'm still carrying the after affects of a few injuries, and have found the sportier riding position surprisingly comfortable.

So saying the seat can be a bit bum-numbing, and I'm sure if you're over 5'10" you might find you're perched out in the weather.

Other than that I'd certainly give the SV-S a go. It handles well, stops well, the motor's fantastic (and reasonably frugal), and it looks pretty good as well. Not that I'm biased of course.

There are three SV sites which I check out. The links are on my home computer so I can't post them, but they are SVRider (American), SV650. org (UK), and SVDown Under (Aussie). Plenty of reading there for you on a cold winter's night.

Eric
30th May 2007, 22:53
Here's another site for the naked version, bike that is:Oops:

http://www.geocities.com/catpoopman/Johns_bike.html

That is if you like tinkering with bikes.........down the bottom of the pages 2 more links in previous mentioned posts.

cheers Eric

shcabbeh
31st May 2007, 02:13
There are three SV sites which I check out. The links are on my home computer so I can't post them, but they are SVRider (American), SV650. org (UK), and SVDown Under (Aussie). Plenty of reading there for you on a cold winter's night.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Yeah I discovered the first two a while ago and have been regularly reading since. I'll check out the Aussie one too now.

That is if you like tinkering with bikes.........down the bottom of the pages 2 more links in previous mentioned posts.

Haha yeah I like tinkering with most things. I didn't really get into it with my gixxer because it was such a fucking hassle to remove all the fairings, hold the fuel tank up etc etc just for very basic stuff. I'm hoping to improve my knowledge with my next bike. Probably try and take a course or two as well. Anyway, cheers for that site too!

Dave C
31st May 2007, 12:10
Just to confuse you a bit more - have you thought about the V-Strom, either the 650 or the thou? By all accounts a primo tourer, and still capable of having fun in the curvy bits. The $$ seem about the same too. The only hurdle might be the looks, which may not be everyone's cuppa...

shcabbeh
31st May 2007, 16:27
I have considered the Strom. I can handle the looks, it's just that I don't want a fuel injected biked just yet. I'm wanting to learn more about the maintenance of carbs first. This will only be my second bike and I didn't get to do much on my first.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I don't think the looks are too bad, maybe if the bike were just a little lower though.

Buster
31st May 2007, 16:34
SVs are injected buddy.

shcabbeh
31st May 2007, 23:43
SVs are injected buddy.

Not the first generation ones. 1999-2002

While I appreciate the thoughts on other bikes, I've settled with the SV. I just want to know which of those particular two are better for touring.

Thanks.

Whynot
31st May 2007, 23:54
I still reckon you want the S for touring, dont forget all the people saying "hard on the wrists/uncomfortable etc." are comparing it to the naked version and not to a sports bike.

The other thing i had trouble with on my naked was getting sore arms from actually having to "hang on" when doing long high speed trips. I actually find sport bikes more comfortable over long distances due to the wind helping to hold you up rather than trying to blow you off the back.

Just my 2p :)

shcabbeh
1st June 2007, 01:12
Just my 2p

Just wondering, did you have a windshield at all or just the straight naked?

Whynot
1st June 2007, 01:42
Just wondering, did you have a windshield at all or just the straight naked?

nah, i thought about getting a screen but never got around to it.

shcabbeh
1st June 2007, 01:50
Sweet as. Well I'll definitely be test-riding both. Hopefully colemans will let me take it for an hour or so, I can at least begin to see how it'd be for touring that way.

jafar
6th June 2007, 22:24
Sweet as. Well I'll definitely be test-riding both. Hopefully colemans will let me take it for an hour or so, I can at least begin to see how it'd be for touring that way.

Be interesting to see what you think ;naked v girls bike. :innocent:

shcabbeh
7th June 2007, 00:17
I have done far more research into this now and am 90% sure I want the naked version with a windshield I can throw on for touring.

I just can't help but like the style of the naked. Still, I'll let you all know which I decide on when I get the chance to test 'em.

Has anyone had any problems touring on a naked with a windshield?

surfchick
14th June 2007, 22:26
I did about 7-8000km on my SV650s-mostly on the open road-between 1 to 6-7 hr trips. I found the seat was fine and fairing great. I was always fresh when I arrived. My only issue was my right wrist going to sleep thanks to the sports position of the clipons. This could be managed by clamping the tank with knees, making sure elbows bent, and not grasping the grip too hard. This has been my only issue with the bike and with several trips being around 700kms in one day, I found the bike great. :rockon:

you and i have the same wrist technique relief baby! going in a straight line with the ducati riding position is pretty agonising at slow speeds - so it's oscillate between weight on the wrists, weight off the wrists through the tight-thigh-tank-clamp / lift-with the abs/center core :pinch: and prey to the wrist-god that you get to corner soon - where everything returns to a happy equilibrium :Punk: with this technique I've managed to do 4.5 hours continuous on the ducati with only get-off-get on gas stops :)

Zapf
15th June 2007, 00:40
I have done far more research into this now and am 90% sure I want the naked version with a windshield I can throw on for touring.

I just can't help but like the style of the naked. Still, I'll let you all know which I decide on when I get the chance to test 'em.

Has anyone had any problems touring on a naked with a windshield?

Yes... on a CB900 Hornet. The wind doesn't roll of the screen as nicely then a fairing.

Bob
15th June 2007, 07:04
I spent 25,000 or so miles on a couple of SV650S' over the years - there is a lot more room in the saddle than you would imagine.

This is a review I wrote a couple of years back (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/sv6501.htm) - hope it is of use.

shcabbeh
15th June 2007, 07:31
Yes... on a CB900 Hornet. The wind doesn't roll of the screen as nicely then a fairing.

Yeah I didn't think it would. I am pretty resilient when it comes to these things but I'll see how much it bothers me on the test rides. Cheers for the feedback!

I spent 25,000 or so miles on a couple of SV650S' over the years - there is a lot more room in the saddle than you would imagine.

This is a review I wrote a couple of years back - hope it is of use.

Thanks for that Bob, the Fazer has been the main competitor in the battle of my interests. I'm squarely back to the drawing board but am still loving the knowledge I'm taking on here. Appreciate it.

Zapf
16th June 2007, 03:22
Yeah I didn't think it would. I am pretty resilient when it comes to these things but I'll see how much it bothers me on the test rides. Cheers for the feedback!

No worries... the comment I made is in reference to like 400+km days with headwinds. So not sure a test ride will show that.

shcabbeh
16th June 2007, 08:11
No worries... the comment I made is in reference to like 400+km days with headwinds. So not sure a test ride will show that.

Yeah, I've done 400km days on my GSX-R but I imagine it would be quite different. I'm gonna try and test ride the bike for as long as possible. I know some dealers let you borrow it for the weekend, I just don't know which ones...

I'd hope an hour would be long enough to get a general idea anyway. Surely most would let you take it for an hour?

Zapf
17th June 2007, 00:30
Surely most would let you take it for an hour?

SURE... 1 hour at 400km/h + :P

shcabbeh
17th June 2007, 04:49
SURE... 1 hour at 400km/h + :P

Mahaha, I sure as hell would not be getting the naked version if it could do 400km/h! :niceone:

I think I would be able to feel slight stiffness or the beginning of any aches that may become a problem after an hour. Then again maybe that's just me used to my old gixxer...

Nah I think I could tell if the wind at motorway speeds would be a problem for me on the naked in an hour. Only one way to find out anyway.

jafar
21st June 2007, 21:14
Mahaha, I sure as hell would not be getting the naked version if it could do 400km/h! :niceone:

Nah I think I could tell if the wind at motorway speeds would be a problem for me on the naked in an hour. Only one way to find out anyway.

Wind won't be the problem @ motorway speed .:Police: are :devil2:

Zapf
21st June 2007, 23:33
Wind won't be the problem @ motorway speed .:Police: are :devil2:

true, just watch those annoying days with headwinds

imdying
22nd June 2007, 10:20
Biggest difference is the bar reach... but that's not actually where the biggest problem lies! The seat is ghey, after 200km you're looking for a stretch. However, you're getting gas about then, so not the end of the world. If touring was my priority, then I'd be changing the seat. The S is worth getting for the lights, they're pretty good (nice big reflectors, and two of them).

shcabbeh
23rd June 2007, 01:46
Biggest difference is the bar reach... but that's not actually where the biggest problem lies! The seat is ghey, after 200km you're looking for a stretch. However, you're getting gas about then, so not the end of the world. If touring was my priority, then I'd be changing the seat. The S is worth getting for the lights, they're pretty good (nice big reflectors, and two of them).

Cheers for the input. I'm not too worried about the seat as I have plans to get an aftermarket one anyway.

The headlight issue is an interesting one. If I went for the naked I'd probably look at getting a secondary one but it's definitely worth considering.