PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Man Centennary

emaN
27th May 2007, 08:34
A quick round-up of our trip so far;
Stress? What stress?
slickD & Timmay combined efforts and made it possible for the mrs to be able to fly out last Sat (ie-we picked up her 'expired' passport by mistake; rang the lads who went to ours, found the current one, and drove it to Tga, handing it over to a pilot mate of ours who "happened to be" at Tga airport!!). So yeh, thanks lads!!
30hr glorified bus trip
eventually got in to Heathrow on Sunday afternoon, feeling like you do after only a couple hrs sleep since Sat morning NZ time.:sick:
Oh the memories
Had a great time checking out our old haunts; popped into Primark, got lunch from Greggs, toiletries from Superdrug, got the MCN from the local offy (ie-dairy), travelcards/tubes/trains and their delays... Scarily, it's all becoming rather 'normal' to us already!!
Mates
It's been awesome seeing all our mates again; only feels like we been away for 6mths, not 2 1/2yrs!
Bikes
Finally, the interesting part:yes:
Carlo's got hisself a Daytona since i last saw him; Leone's still got his Hornet; Pippo's got a Bandit since we left; finally got to check out Dave's 636 and perve at the goodies Diane's put on the SV!
Picking up the 748!
Rode over some great twisty back country roads on the way back to our mates' place.
The tyres are Battlax up front and a Macadam at rear(:shutup: I'll wait to pronounce judgement)...Might have a wee fiddle with the rebound and front compression, but other than that, it feels like an ADHD 400 on steroids! So tight, compact, quick steering, responsive (when you're in the right gear at right revs)...I'm looking forward to blattting around the course on it!
Riding over to IOM
Leaving here at 10am tomorrow, ferry leaves early afternoon.
Already looking forward to the roads we'll ride just to get to the ferry! Rode them a few yrs ago on the RF and they were wiggid!

Will keep ya updated - mightn't be too regular, but hey...it'll be worth a fang over the Mtn back into Douglas to find a 'net cafe:Punk:

HDTboy
27th May 2007, 08:55
Look out for Gingas.

Matt Bleck
27th May 2007, 09:01
lol, love the "we forgot the passport" bit..... :killingme

So did you go to the opening or are you not at the Isle yet?

Pics?

Don't forget........ Relentless........ T-shirt....... Black........ :D

Kornholio
27th May 2007, 13:04
Go hard our little Eyetie friend :D

kiwifruit
27th May 2007, 13:37
have fun man :D
say gidday to the olds if you bump into them

DingDong
28th May 2007, 19:22
PICS Eman!... find a pu'ta and upload some pics for us... you luck bugga you.

have fun:yes:

wybmadiity
29th May 2007, 08:11
Keep safe.... Wish I was there!!!! :hug:
Looking forward to updates (when possible) :niceone:

Idrumm
29th May 2007, 17:51
Cheers for keeping us posted dude, take care on the duck.

Leong
29th May 2007, 17:56
Yeah, Have fun man!!!! Look forward to the reports!

Matt Bleck
29th May 2007, 19:17
Cheers for keeping us posted dude, take care on Duck.

Actually I would like to complain about the lack of reports from our eyetie friend...... :mellow:

Bro, leave Shaun alone, he's got a job to do. :yes:

Did you find me a Relentless hoodie yet? :D

Manxman
29th May 2007, 19:55
http://www.iomtt.com/sitecore/shell/Controls/Rich%20Text%20Editor/~/media/Files/Reports/28052007/supersport%20pdf.ashx

Good start, 9th quickest in practice, but fairly slow lap time...prolly just relearning the course.

saul
29th May 2007, 20:01
Actually I would like to complain about the lack of reports from our eyetie friend...... :mellow:

Bro, leave Shaun alone, he's got a job to do. :yes:

Did you find me a Relentless hoodie yet? :D

Yeh me to :sunny: How about just a bit of rubber off the relentless number 5 tyre, or just get Bruce to sign the IOM cap you are getting me:love: :Punk:

Baldyheed
2nd June 2007, 23:20
Copy of MCN, a Greggs corned beef pasty, mug of Yorkshire Tea, those I do miss.

TONO
4th June 2007, 20:38
Hear you have been texting everybody with updates on the holiday????? obviously forgot my number???:nono:
Send us a report and some pics dude.

OH by the way we had a KB meeting at your place the other night and a BBQ.
Paul spilt the kero and the side of the house caught fire,:shit: but nothing to serious....we put a new tarpaulin over the burnt area to keep the weather out.
Nothing to serious man......:gob: just an accident.:dodge:
You have a great time and don't worry.:innocent:
Cheers
TC

emaN
8th June 2007, 06:18
First things first, we were so worried when the radio said first Daniel jansen & then shaun had had a biggie at Union Mills; not a good place to come off.
Dan’s was in the SBK race, shauns in the Sstock one. I’ve checked on Dan, he seems ok. Hoping to check on shaun tomorrow.

I’m sitting back at camp typing on a flemish lappie with weird lettering, so this aint gonnq be a long one.
sitting bqck qt cqnp typing on q fle,ish lqppie zith zeird lettering so this qint gonnq be q long one (touch-typing on a weird laptop!)
Practice week
we got here sunday 10 days ago. weather during the first week was 'variable' to say the least. managed to see most of the practice sessions & be blown away by it all again. bruce was on a mission & looking good for S'sport & S'stock.
One of the many highlights was the commentators tqlking about Shauns paint scheme and sponsors, motott.co.nz :)
My runs
got a few laps in myself, on the better days. it's awesome being back on the course again!!
also found a couple of 'loops'; instead of doing the whole circiut to get back to the Mountain section, i turn off at the Creg, through Laxey &back up to Ramsey to do it all again!!! Yee ha! (had a front tyre slip-up along there too, just after i'd passed a slow 749).
Another loop brings me back through the Glen Helen section. Then there’s the original course they used way back then; it starts near Ballacraine, up through Glen Helen, left at Kirk Michael, then back down the coast road to Peel, then left along the ‘straights’ heading back to the ‘start’. Great circuit that one, and most of it as fast as you like!!!
heading out for a blat tonight too, weather has been amazing (infact, we've just spent the day ticky-touring; went up to the lighthouse, then had lunch in Port Erin, then popped down to check out the seals and the Calf of Man.)
Race week
kicked off with a cancellation - the disappointment was in everyones faces; the crowds were gutted. heard of guys who'd flown in from South Africa, only to miss it!
met up with shaun the next day who was stoked, cos it gave him that much longer to prep the bike.
Meant to just have a quick chat with Guy Martin about his next visit to Cemetqry circuit; when he realized we were from downunder he was real keen for a chat! Also met Daniel Jansen on the Sunday – we stayed & chatted for ages as he prepped his bike ( a zx10, he’d been out riding it in road trim &had to get it back into race shape).
Monday the SBK's roared past us at the top of Barregaroo; unreal speed as they peel left &then disappear down the hill on one wheel doing silly speeds!
Got video of Dan as he came through each time, and then got a bit concerned when he didn’t come past again. Heard on the radio that he’d offed at Union Mills. Called past his caravan yesterday, but he was out, so must be doing better.
Tuesday we watched the S’stock race at a corner dubbed ‘Ballascary’. They flash past doing 230-240, as we were stood on the inside of the bend, resting on a little wall.. Unreal seeing the black lines they leave, and knee slider marks pretty much on the identical spot, lap after lap!
When Shaun didn’t come past we got concerned, hoping he’d broken down, but he’d come off just a couple miles up from us.
I’m hoping to be able to see him at some point – give him some support or whatever we can.
On Wednesday the S’sport was Bruce’s, all tied up in the proverbial bag…until the bike wouldn’t kick back into life after his pit stop!!! It was painful to listen to!! The top four were so close, but well done to Hutchy for his 1st TT win.
Watched the race from an amazing spot, just 10min walk from camp. Got some great video of them coming into sight from a r/hander, then tuck in & yank the bars to lean left and crank through right beneath us…awesome!!! Gonna head back there tomorrow for the Senior.
Saturday we’ll be down in Castletown for the race down there. Missed it last time, in 04, so made sure we’d see it this time. It’ll be most of the TT boys, difference being mass starts. Rode over the course tonight on our way back to camp; most of it is lined with walls!
So that’s ONE update outta the way – geez… didn’t realize you lot were so interested in my life ;)
Oh, tash is getting more & more hapu by the day! Maybe it’s all the rest she’s getting which is giving heshe the energy…?!
We head back to Newcastle Sunday, then fly out to Italy on Monday for a week.
Hope you’re all sweet!

Tones,don’t matter bout the house, as long as my rods are safe!!!

:sunny:

HDTboy
8th June 2007, 07:58
There's quite the thread for Shaun, they say he'll be woken up friday your time, if you could print the thread off and take it in he'd be able to see who's been bad mouthing him.

Good to hear from youse, it's been a few days

Matt Bleck
8th June 2007, 09:03
Chur bro, good report it is too! :niceone:

Kornholio
8th June 2007, 13:48
Nice one Jon boy.... I hear there is another party at your place this weekend :D

wybmadiity
8th June 2007, 15:41
Can't wait till you guys get back and have the footage/photo BBQ :yes:
Take care and hear from you again soon.
:love: to Tash

TONO
9th June 2007, 08:26
Finally a bloody report from the eye-tie.:dodge:
Good 1 Jon well done, nice to hear your having a ball.:rockon:
Hope your taking care of Tash, being sensitive to her needs you little twerp :yes: Thanks for the Txt
Enjoy the rest of the trip & take care.
Remember once you have kids it all becomes just a memory:shit: (thought I would just throw that in)
We all eagerly await the next report:Punk:

rustys
9th June 2007, 20:18
Nice report eman ,keep them coming. Your Rods can stay in the cupboard there are bugger all fish left in the rivers.:rockon:

kiwifruit
9th June 2007, 20:34
Cheers Jon :D

saul
9th June 2007, 21:00
Ciao Bella:love: errr I mean Jon

Suck it all up mate. Sounds like a fantastic time.

Unfortunately like life it has touched others in a tragic way as well.

Warm regards:sunny:

jimbo
9th June 2007, 22:49
:yes: Good report.Ya all have fun:innocent:

Idrumm
11th June 2007, 23:43
Cheers for the report dude, good to see you three are doing well.

emaN
21st June 2007, 01:06
What a wikkid time!

We watched the Senior race from an awesome bend not long after Hendley's...an amazing experience to be sitting on a grassy bank, under trees, over-looking a quiet country road only to have a 170-180kg missile approach directly at you and then bank left flashing (loudly) past at 140-150mph!!!
Most of the lads are tucked in and taking it flat out. Didn't realise until afterwards how much work the suspension's doing through there too; in the pix you can see the bike squatting under the G's (note; not under our very own 'G').

The Parade of Champions was wikkid too; pretty much video'd the lot of 'em coming thru. Greats past & present right there in front of us...too much!

Unfortunately, no doubt you've heard, in the last section, on the very last lap of the last race Mark Rathbotam lost it and died, the bike taking out two spectators. It sucked. One minute everyone was buzzing about the 130mph lap; next minute the dread builds as there's only one reason such big delays happen, and certainly only one reason that journalists aren't allowed to release details. Mark had/has a wife & two daughters whom my heart goes out to. The next evening I read the cards they'd left at the scene...gut wrenching. Funnily enough, I'd been looking out for him during the TT (his surname first caught my attention) and he'd been doing real good.

The next day, Saturday, we rode down to Castletown for the Billown races. Another road race, but on a 4mile circuit. We watched from Church Bends. Nutters here too:yes: But unlike the TT, here they start off in grids, so you get a dozen riders flying down the straight then piling into the first corner, then off they go screaming down a long straight towards Iron Gate.
We rode the course a day earlier and it's just amazing what these boys can do 'round there.
I was hoping to catch up with David Sels, who works at an engineering outfit in Ramsey and had helped repair the 748's sidestand (i'd spent a couple of days propping it up on walls and Harleys). But i heard on the radio that he'd pulled out, possibly to catch up with his daughter who'd come off in practice (she's ok.).
Paul Dobbs did well on the smaller bikes; tried to get some good pix of him and got a couple of semi-decent ones...but not perfect.

Sat evening i went for a blat to get some on-board footage. Ended up only getting 3mins worth! the battery had come away a little, losing connection :shutup: I'd reached my PB over the mountain mile took, getting up to 140mph which was an awesome feeling! Everything's telling you to back off for the next bend which you can't see around, but if you do you lose your momentum...so...:scooter: on you go!!!
Next morning i got up early, set it all up again, stopped in Ramsey to start the camera up....but it gave me the 'moisture warning' and wouldn't crank up:shutup: Wasn't meant to be.

I tried to see Shaun; texted his IOM ph he'd given me, but no-one replied (and fair enough!). Up at hospital the nurse wouldn't let me in and wouldn't tell me anything either; as he said, for all he knew i could've been press. Fair enough.
Saw Daniel though, he was up and about. He showed me his frame; identical cracks running along the top weld seam from the headstock backwards on both sides...:gob:
Check out his site; it's www.danieljansen.co.uk

I keep thinking of things to write, but then forget, so will add bits n pieces as i remember them.

Had a little chat with Guy Martin on the ferry back too; he's hoping to get back to Wanganui this year as well. I asked him about Paeroa, but we worked out it's too close to his UK racing season..

I've got hold of the TT Superbikes game (:Punk: ) so will have a 'TT evening' at ours at some stage!:yes:

Rusty, I hope to verify that for myself:yes: i'm hoping to get out on the Nongy for one last flick before it closes - might just make it.

How was the partee at mine? Hope my olds didn't get in the way...

Laters!

Matt Bleck
21st June 2007, 08:53
Looking forward to the TT evening bro, I got all the races on my PC so we can wacth them as well!

See you on the 30th....... I might even let you sit on the Grey Ghost! :D

emaN
9th July 2007, 18:59
ok, i've been getting the hurry up, so i'll pull finger..

These were all taken from the Gooseneck, during practice week. Only got to see 'em come past twice as practice was shortened due to a crash near Glen Helen.
About 20m up the road there's a whole lot of little black patches on the road, all quite near each other; this is where the front comes down before they bank left heading towards Joey's.
1. keith amor (a newcomer to the TT,but a regular top finisher in road racing calendar)
2. adrian archibald
3. nigel beattie (a local lad)
4. anstey's bikes in the pits

emaN
9th July 2007, 19:09
This corner is awesome!
During the week, I'd read an interview with McGuinness; he mentioned this corner as one of his favorites - I now know why!!
You hear them exit Handleys, they come into view leant over, pick it up, steady the bike some before throwing it hard left and driving through out the other side. They exit onto a little straight with a hump at the end which almost all of 'em get airtime off, before hooking back a gear and dropping into Barregarrow and out of sight on one wheel down the hill.
Tucked in and almost flat out, i'd love to know what pace they're doing thru' there (i'll watch some onboard footage from a dvd and post it up).

1. bruce and ian hutchinson
2. john burrows
3. martin finnegan
4. martin finnegan (back at the Gooseneck)

emaN
9th July 2007, 19:19
1. HM Plant pits, John McG and a member of his team.
2. hutchy and bruce heading towards Barregarrow
3. hutchy
4. hutchy (got lots of good shots of him,but none that good of John McG!)

emaN
9th July 2007, 19:28
1. ian lougher (this guy knows a thing or two about the TT!)
2. mcguinness on the 600
3. mark parrett chasing connor cummins (i think connor the fastest manxman 'round the TT now)
4. steve plater (first timer at TT,but needs no introduction to road racing fans!)

emaN
9th July 2007, 19:41
Team "TAS suzuki relentless".
Adrian's bikes in foreground, bruce's at the back.
black numbers on white board = superbike
white numbers on red board = superstock
white numbers on blue board = supersport

emaN
9th July 2007, 19:52
1. looking towards kirk michael and out to sea, from camp. later in the week it was first come first served for parking spots! when all three barns were full up, ya parked out here, but this soon filled too...
2. bikes along the promenade in Douglas; this is just a small section. The Prom is a good mile long!
3. glencutchry rd; those 'towers' are near the start/finish
4. waiting to board the ferry in Heysham, along with hundreds of other riders.

emaN
9th July 2007, 20:00
1. McGuinness scrubbing in his tyres at Jurby airfield, the day before the Senior. I'd heard that he does this; to come along at the right time and see him was cool. When he took off through those black n white bails it was unreal how quickly he disappeared; lost sight of him in no time!
2. Peel and it's castle. Our 'local' for icecreams, fish n chips and chinese on our first night.
3. Back at camp. Rob turned up one day, came off the next, poor buggar. As he pulled out of Barregarrow crossroads, his Falco jumped outta gear, then back in, reared it's head and spat him off. He got a free ride in a chopper tho!
The dude kneeling is Steve; him and his mate brought their (pretty much) track bikes over in a van and gave loads of people the learn! Actually, one of the bikes was an ex-endurance race bike - tons of goodies on it!

emaN
9th July 2007, 20:26
Looking at all these pics, it seems unreal that a short few weeks ago we were there. So glad we did it.
We're so thankful to Doc for lending us his precious 748 for a fortnight, truly a generous offer!
Huge thanks also to Dave & Diane who sorted out the insurance for us.
It was wikkid hanging out with good friends again, and now we look foward to THEM coming down-under some time soon!:yes:

TT07 itself was all I hoped for.
I'm glad we got there for practice week, before it all got too chaotic. It was cool to ride around the place that week with loads of bikes around, but not enough to be a worry.
Camping was awesome; we'd all been looking foward to the big 'reunion' and weren't gonna let the damp weather ruin it! When the sun came out for all of race week it was perfect.

The racing was out of this world.
It struck me as ironic that we spectators are sat there, relaxing in the sunshine, dozing, drinking, yakking...when just a couple of feet away those riders are fighting for their lives with their total focus and concentration trying to control the rocket beneath him which is itself trying to off them into every hedge/bank/tree/wall around those 37 miles!
(I made these comments at the time, and people wanted what i was having, as I was obviously tripping!).

To me every rider who raced there is an exceptional one. There are tons of riders the world over who would be good enough to ride The Course, but far fewer who can challenge it and race it.
I respect those guys incredibly for taking on the TT, which is why I want to mention Marc Ramsbotham and acknowledge his talent & skill.

For some reason he'd had caught my attention during practice week, so I'd kept an eye on him and followed him more closely than other 'higher number' riders. I hadn't heard of him before, but I've checked him out since and he was an extremely capable road-racer.
Unfortunately he lost his life during the Senior.
It was gutting to hear about the accident on the radio, and it's been heart-wrenching reading his wife & daughters tributes to him.
Check out his website, which describes both the racer and the man.
http://www.rammyracing.co.uk/

Future TTs?
I'd like to go back... Been twice now, but they've both been such different experiences.
Perhaps even as a competitor and do the Manx, the seed has def been planted ;)
The logistics would be awkward, but I've already had an offer to help me find a 400/600 over there...it'd be amazing.

emaN
14th July 2007, 20:34
There ya go; i named 'em.

Matt Bleck
15th July 2007, 19:16
There ya go; i named 'em.

Where is the clap, clap for the handicap smiley?

emaN
15th July 2007, 19:54
I'll give ya a clap ya bogun
(note: not THE clap!)

Kornholio
15th July 2007, 22:48
I'll give ya a clap ya bogun
(note: not THE clap!)

Never know what you grubby lil eyeties have do we :p :dodge:

emaN
16th July 2007, 21:53
Never know what you ...eyeties have do we :p :dodge:
pluck up the courage and ask yer womenfolk what "us eyeties have":gob:

wybmadiity
17th July 2007, 10:46
pluck up the courage and ask yer womenfolk what "us eyeties have":gob:

:scratch: .... Great food and beautiful ladies :D

emaN
17th July 2007, 20:20
precisely Liv!
dunno what all the lads were thinking; obviously a shady lot, going by the "rep pm's" i got!! :shake:

anyway,back to topic, i'm gonna upload some pics from the billown races soon.

emaN
19th July 2007, 18:09
Some pics from the Billown circuit; races take place the day after the Senior.
We missed them last time, so made sure we stayed on a couple days to see 'em this time.
I didn't get a program (neither did RadioTT commentators!:)), so not too sure who's who. Got a few of Paul Dobbs though, and Conor Cummins, Ian Lougher...

emaN
19th July 2007, 18:17
i'll name 'em lat....i mean, at MY leisure!
ok, i'm feeling "leisured"

1. the circuit itself starts near Castletown, where the 'white road' meets the 'blue' one. They head off west, then turn north towards Ballabeg, flying thru' Iron Gate on the way.
Then turn back east, through a wee 'village' and hard braking right left right at Cross Four Ways.
Then up the 'hill' towards Church Bends (which is where we watched from) a mint 'chicane' carrying as much speed as poss to fire themselves down a couple of fast 'straights', throw her left at Stadium corner, hard on the picks into the last 90deg r/hander, then back onto the Start/Finish straight.
4 and something miles of kick-assssss road racing!
2. Conor Cummins
3. Don't worry 'bout us; we're nice and safe behind this ancient rock wall
4. Conor and Lougher

Matt Bleck
19th July 2007, 18:36
i'll name 'em lat....i mean, at MY leisure!

Sono rimasto ammutolito per la sorpresa per ciò che stava dicendo. :confused:

emaN
19th July 2007, 22:03
Sono rimasto ammutolito per la sorpresa per ciò che stava dicendo. :confused:
bravo Timoteo, molto bravo.
adesso pero', dammelo nel 'passato remoto'......furbone!

(i've added captions to those pics too)