PDA

View Full Version : *Relatively urgent* Which way should my carb slide face?

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 19:48
Hullo,

Spent the whole day fiddling with my bike; set the tappets (nothing needed doing, yay), then got my spare carb and fiddled around with it some more, then installed it. Same result as before; way way way too rich, will only run when I open the throttle halfway.

So I put the old carb back, but not before adding a tiny tiny shim to the needle. What does the carb do? Same results as the old carb! Fuck. So I've gone from being lean to mega-rich with a miniature shim, that doesn't seem right. However, I've never disassembled that carb before, taking the slide out; have I put it back-to-front in both carbs?

Which way should the little `cut-out' face? Airbox, or engine?

EDIT: It's a round-slide pumper type carb, if that helps. Not a CV.

Thank-you so much. I'm feeling quite worried right now.

Sensei
27th May 2007, 20:01
Cut away to the Airbox not the motor

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 20:03
Cheers buddy! Appreciate it. Can't remember which way I had it.

Sensei
27th May 2007, 20:04
Why / what have you shimmed

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 20:07
Why / what have you shimmed

Bike is running on the lean side... cooks plugs, so I can't start the bike without bump starting it after a while. Then it gets really bad and I have to buy a new plug.

I put a tiny really thin washer (less than a millimetre) under the needle clip (between the clip and the slide). Easy enough to take out again, just want to make sure that that's the only variable I changed.

What a bitch. That bike's like my testicles; when something happens it really hurts :mellow:

EDIT: Motu! Stop typing so fucking slow! You're going to say something intelligent and I want to know what it is!

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 20:17
Hey are you sure about that Sensei? Because sure enough, the cutout is facing the engine, not the airbox. However I did it to the photos in Haynes.

Interesting.

Lets wait to see if Motu is just teasing me by leaving this page open, or if he's writing something.

EDIT: No he's gone now. Damn you, Motu, damn you and all of Huntly to hell.

:innocent:

Put the slide back in round the other way. Now I've got to install it again *cries softly*

Sensei
27th May 2007, 20:22
Dude leave the needle alone & take out the shim thats not the trouble or the way to fix it . You need to change the jetting by what you are saying as it sounds like the Main jet is to small if it is running that lean . Plus check the mixture screw / Airbleed . If the bike idles ok then the pilot jet is alright

Sensei
27th May 2007, 20:25
The Slide has to have the cut away to the airbox or it wouldn't run as it needs it to draw air into the carb . The slide will have a slot cut in it for the idle screw & a locating pin so it can only go in one way

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 20:37
Dude leave the needle alone & take out the shim thats not the trouble or the way to fix it . You need to change the jetting by what you are saying as it sounds like the Main jet is to small if it is running that lean . Plus check the mixture screw / Airbleed . If the bike idles ok then the pilot jet is alright

*Halfway through re-attaching carb*

The bike runs well throughout all throttle positions, including idle. While the plug is new. However, after maybe 100kms-200kms the plug has turned white and after a while will not fire well at all, ending up where the bike refuses to start unless bumped, and it idles like a bitch (cutting out after a while).

I rarely use full throttle, I use the bike for commuting so 90% of the time the bike is idling or at 50% throttle max (fair amount of torque). Have played with the pilot mixture screw until blue in the face. Just really having a play with the needle... now I just want it running back to `normal' :D

Man those carb intake rubber bolts are a bitch to access. It takes me about 2 minutes to do up each bolt.

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 20:46
Happy times! High Five everybody!

Bike runs again :D

Thank-you Sensei.

Bet I'm not the first one to make that mistake :innocent:

Throttle cutaway FACES AIRBOX! WTF Haynes.

Hey, I like Sensei's user title; `Teaching the unskilled'

Sensei
27th May 2007, 20:59
Check that the plug is the right heat range as well check what it should be standard .

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 21:11
Check that the plug is the right heat range as well check what it should be standard .

I'm using the standard plug that's listed in Haynes, DR8ES, or DR8ES-L. Which way should I go if I want a plug that can stand more heat? DR7 (or even DR6?), or DR9?

There was a D7EA in it when I got the bike. I'm not sure how long it had lasted for, but it was exhibiting the same symptoms. I should probably forget about that as it is the wrong plug anyway.

Sensei
27th May 2007, 22:05
Not 100% sure but i Believe the lower the number the hotter the plug . Please check with shop before trying out in bike they may differ for different brands .

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 22:19
From some googling it seems that the plug to get would be a higher number; i.e. DR9ES. Might be a bastard to track down, though.

Here's something I got from a tech board in the UK:
Might be worth checking to make sure your pulser matches your advancer, both should have the same letter on. Out of three engines I had all had B on both items, but if yours has been through several owners, as have most, maybe someone changed the pulser without checking the codes, whether this would cause your problem I don't know but might be worth a try. I was interested to hear about your cracked head, I had three engines, my original and two I bought as spares, all had cracked heads although my original had been running fine. I thought it would be hard to find a good head, but in the end I found two or three (although could only afford to buy the one)but people kept telling me that cracked heads were unusual on an RS where as I was sure it was a common problem. Anyway, hope you find the answer to your problem, good luck!!

merv
27th May 2007, 22:37
Unless you've broken it off there should be a small lug the throttle slide fits over and you should not be able to put the slide in the wrong way around.

xwhatsit
27th May 2007, 23:49
Unless you've broken it off there should be a small lug the throttle slide fits over and you should not be able to put the slide in the wrong way around.

Nope, no lug on either carb. The slide is 100% round, you can turn it 360 degrees; the only thing holding it in any position is the lever that lifts it has to mount in either of two positions.