PDA

View Full Version : Black Chrome – Experiences and opinions

slam07
29th May 2007, 08:22
Hi All
I am looking to change all the chrome on my bike to Black Chrome.

Has anyone had any experience with this?
Want to know about consistency of colour and durability compared with standard chrome.

TIA
Slam
:scooter:

imdying
29th May 2007, 17:56
Never found anyone who does it! Would be keen to hear if you find someone local.

Colapop
29th May 2007, 18:13
What does black chrome look like?

imdying
29th May 2007, 18:56
Like chrome, but black. Sort of like a really glossy black paint job.

Colapop
29th May 2007, 19:19
My neighbour has this model bike... apparently the pipes are black chrome... (this is not his bike)

crazefox
29th May 2007, 19:47
Mate are you talking about shadow chrome if so we spray mag wheels at my work place in this stuff,it looks great.its around 300 for enough to do 4 wheels

imdying
29th May 2007, 19:50
Naw not shadow chrome, actual black chrome.

Buuuttt.... there's there new paint around, you might have seen it crazefox, it's for painting over chrome. It comes in a whole rainbow of colours, do you know what it is?

Might be worth looking into, I see you're in Christchurch slam07, I'm pretty sure last time I was in RJ Pattersons they had a display stand with it. Given that you can't 'key' the chrome with sandpaper before you start, I would be asking some pointed questions about its ability to stick long term.

Meanie
29th May 2007, 19:53
I had a midnight special that had new pipes on it black chrome The old owner dropped it and wrecked one of the pipes
Never did find anyone to do black chrome but i know what you mean, it looks bloody awesome

crazefox
29th May 2007, 19:56
Naw not shadow chrome, actual black chrome.

Buuuttt.... there's there new paint around, you might have seen it crazefox, it's for painting over chrome. It comes in a whole rainbow of colours, do you know what it is?

Might be worth looking into, I see you're in Christchurch slam07, I'm pretty sure last time I was in RJ Pattersons they had a display stand with it. Given that you can't 'key' the chrome with sandpaper before you start, I would be asking some pointed questions about its ability to stick long term.

Na mate not heard of it sorry

imdying
29th May 2007, 20:24
If you happen to run across it, I'd like to hear your thoughts as a painter as to its durability on things like polished bike wheels, frames, or fork legs.

OP: There's heaps of info on it here http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=black+chrome&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

crazefox
29th May 2007, 20:30
I have had a little read it looks like it is applied like chrome????

What?
29th May 2007, 21:12
The factory pipes, and a few other bits for my CB1100 are black chrome - it's fuggin 'orrible stuff. Almost impossible to keep looking nice; goes blotchy quick and generally doesn't go the distance.
Don't know if anyone this side of America does coloured chrome plating, and really don't care. Did I mention that it's fuggin 'orrible stuff?

slam07
30th May 2007, 08:23
Wow
Thanks for all the feedback PP.
Great support on this site.

imdying

Never found anyone who does it! Would be keen to hear if you find someone local.
With the onslaught of solar heating, I have found a place in Christchurch that is gearing up with a bigger bath than they currently have for doing black chrome. ( Black chrome is used in solar heating panels)
They will be testing it out over the next month or so, so we may be in luck soon to get it done locally. I can send you a PM with the details. The guy probably doesn’t want his contacts broadcast until he’s up and running with the process.

What?

....it's fuggin 'orrible stuff. Almost impossible to keep looking nice; goes blotchy quick and generally doesn't go the distance.
That’s the sort of thing I wanted to know, it's no good to me if it won't go the distance. btw, have you tried oiling it? apparently that is how you keep it looking good. (apparently)

Cheers
slam

imdying
30th May 2007, 09:01
I have had a little read it looks like it is applied like chrome????Ahhh, sorry, that link was for the OP (original poster), it was all about black chrome, not the paint for over chrome that I was mentioning to you :D

With the onslaught of solar heating, I have found a place in Christchurch that is gearing up with a bigger bath than they currently have for doing black chrome. ( Black chrome is used in solar heating panels)
Yeah sweet as, always keen to hear about things like that. I'm looking into a USD conversion for my bike, but I'd be keen to get the stanchions rechromed in black, and the tubes anodized in black :)

Kickaha
30th May 2007, 10:16
but I'd be keen to get the stanchions rechromed in black, and the tubes anodized in black :)

the Black coating is DLC (diamond like carbon)and is supposedly harder and less stiction that the gold TiN coating

imdying
30th May 2007, 10:35
the Black coating is DLC (diamond like carbon)and is supposedly harder and less stiction that the gold TiN coatingThe black coating is black chrome. DLC is actually a colourless coating that reduces stiction, and is applied over top of the regular plating.

That the black fork legs are thought to be DLC and not black chrome is a common misconception that has been perpetuated by the GSXRs being advertised as having DLC, with no mention of the black chrome. In fact, the GSXRs with black legs are indeed colourless DLC over regular black chrome.

TiN coating is the same, it too is applied over top of regular chrome plating. Which is why when the TiN coating wears off (common on the K1/K2 GSXR1000 range), you see the regular chrome plating exposed beneath.

In theory, you could DLC over top of regular clear(?) chrome, over TiN (although why would you), and conversely, you could TiN over black chrome.

/edit: some more info here http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:oZsLYLw3gQEJ:racinglinks.co.nz/titanium%2520nitride.html+titanium+nitride+coating +site:.nz&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=nz

Diamond-like Carbon (DLC) as seen on 2003 Suzuki GSX-R 1000K3 and new 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10

Note that DLC is colourless!!

The black colour seen on the GSXR1000K3 is achieved with black chrome tubes with DLC over that.

There website has been down for a few months, which sucks, as they're the only crowd I know of in NZ that does either TiN or DLC. Rather than a GSXR front end conversion, I was considering just tricking up the factory front end... end the end I'm slow as shite, I'm only doing it for the bling. Fraser has the hook ups for a 6 pot caliper set for me that'll bolt straight on, but if I can't trick up the forks, that avenue is closing. If you know of another place in NZ that does TiN coatings, please let me know. Or, if you know of who this Racing Links outfit is, please me know that too!

/edit2: Flicked an email of the racinglinks, but it was bounced by the mail server straight away :(

Someone in the racing scene must know of them though?

/edit3: Worse still, the domain name has expired, so the whois reveals nothing.

Kickaha
30th May 2007, 11:44
The black coating is black chrome. DLC is actually a colourless coating that reduces stiction, and is applied over top of the regular plating.

So the black is only decorative?

imdying
30th May 2007, 12:40
So the black is only decorative?
I guess, in a way, yeah :D

You do need to have the base coat (chrome) before adding DLC or TiN, so it's not totally decorative... that they choose to make that base coat black and not silver chrome, that is purely a decorative or aesthetic choice that some designer made :Punk:

What?
30th May 2007, 20:45

It would be interesting to compare the price of black chrome plating to HPC coating - I think HPC might be able to give almost the same look without the disadvantages of chrome plate.
Keep us updated.

Sanx
13th June 2007, 13:49
You could try Mt Eden Metal Polishers on Khyber Pass in Auckland. Obviously getting the fork stanchions up here would be a pain in the arse, but they do a lot of restorative plating and polishing work on cars and bikes, plus anything else metal. And they might be able to recommend someone down in ChCh.

imdying
13th June 2007, 15:20
Best way to send them is in a solid sided gun case. They're prelined with foam etc, and not as long as a rifle... perfect.

soundbeltfarm
13th June 2007, 19:23

is this what you mean?
the colourchrome kit is about 169 dollars and for just the colours is about 169 for three colours.
www.por15.co.nz

imdying
13th June 2007, 20:50
Yep, that'll be the stuff, or something close to it :yes: