PDA

View Full Version : Road Race Coaching

bluninja
10th July 2003, 11:00
Dave, mentioned in another thread that Brian Bernard does coaching for road race. So I've been to Brian's Site (http://www.bernardracing.co.nz) and filled in the form to find out about his services for me. He also does groups of 4 and large groups.

So would anybody on Kiwibiker be interested in some coaching on track by Brian Bernard? If there is sufficient interest I would be prepared trying to organise something that should give us access to Brian's knowledge, skills, and coaching at a better price than 1 on 1.

Even if you don't race, it would be good for trackdays, and he also does coaching for road riding.

So what do you think?

TTFN

Racey Rider
10th July 2003, 14:02
I'ld be keen on that Blu. :niceone:

Dave
10th July 2003, 14:08
count me in-You can never get enough coaching-hey
even rossi has a mentor.

Coldkiwi
10th July 2003, 17:28
yeah! keen as a bean to get my skills up. track or road, both are equally useful to me!

Dave
10th July 2003, 17:40
not many people wanting to give me $200 yet.
Have to wait until i win the national title!

Duke of Rogan
10th July 2003, 17:41
me too. does he teach how to do stoppies and wheelies? :p

I dont own a racesuit but...

bikerboy
10th July 2003, 19:57
Count me in ! Although I have not heard of this chap. Has he posted anything I can review?

Have the post Nazi's appoved his abilities?:D

SPman
10th July 2003, 23:14
I think you can rest assured BB, that BB is good.

I see Keith Code is now teaching wheelies...complete, of course, with a special "wheelie machine". - I must find a photo of it.

Oops.....another post

Bugger! :)

babyB
11th July 2003, 01:19
im keen but depends on price, days and babysitters

bikerboy
11th July 2003, 13:05
With initials of BB, could he be anything else but...:D

All these posts have given me the hardcore biker title I've worked so hard for all my riding life (twenty years, seven year gap, three years). Its a wonder I have any time left to polish my bike!:p

Now if I can just remember why I bought it in the first place?:whocares:

Mitch
11th July 2003, 13:34
Hey Si  I'm IN for sure, can we do it at Taupo please so I can learn how to get all the way around the hairpin without crashing???    Please Can we hehehehe

No seriously, which ever track works I would be totally into some training!!   :D

Hey SPman what is that Keith code thing? Is that a book or actually a real living breathing creature prepared to teach us all what we want to know?

SPman
11th July 2003, 15:15
Mitch

Keith Code - Californis Superbike School - Twist of The Wrist etc

Get your PhD in wheelies

http://www.ononewheel.com/

bluninja
11th July 2003, 15:28
The basic skinny on this is that the cost for 1 days coaching 1 on 1 or group of 4 is $600. Add the cost of the track fee for a testing day and that makes around $230 for the day plus petrol etc. Brian suggests Manfeild as the better track to learn on on in North Island.

Personally I was thinking of trying to get the coaching on a Friday before the race meet  in Manfeild in August or October as I won't have extra travelling costs.....though Taupo would be a good alternative.

TTFN  

SPman
11th July 2003, 16:44
Taupo is closer. but Manfield is OK.

$200-250 seems to be about par for a one day course. All good. October would be better for me. (if I can survive that long:p)

Dave
11th July 2003, 18:32
Taupo is cheaper track hire and more laps available in a given day,perhaps we should talk to Dave cole or even chris haldane.
Also Freddie merkal is based in taupo-what does he charge?
Brian bernard is looking to make a buck after the whole team suzuki thing fell through,Don't get me wrong, awesome rider and godd teacher,etc. but there may be a more cost effective way to achieve the same thing.
Taupo is very accessable-if we could get someone to help us there midweek,we could stay on the following day and practice what weve learn't.
Then again-i've done a 41.9 around taupo,so i do like the place!

Racey Rider
11th July 2003, 20:57
I don't mind ether Manfield or Taupo. August is a bit soon for me to comfitablely buget for it, and fit in the remander of the VIC series. Any day of the week suits me fine.

Hoon
14th July 2003, 17:05
Yep I'm VERY keen on Road Racing coaching.  I'm easy as to when or where.  But after getting rained out at the last 3 Saturday track days, it might be better to do this in the warmer months when there is less chance of rain ruining the event.

bluninja
16th July 2003, 15:17
Apparently (from another training thread) Freddy Merkel does this as a sideline for 30+ riders. I'm not prepared to contemplate trying to organise that at the moment. Summer months and Brian Bernard won't work as he is busy running his team then.

I'm currently looking at 29th August at Manfeild.....it's the day before the race meet (short track, clockwise) and gives about 6 weeks before the start of the Auckland club series on October 5th to transfer new skills to Pukekohe.

There's also a tracktime set for September 14th (I believe).....don't know what training could be hooked up....either with Vinve Sharpe, AMCC, or....Dave

:D

TTFN

wkid_one
16th July 2003, 17:12
Apparently I need all the help riding I can get - so I would be interested in Manfield....however this will only be once I get a mini-moto bike which is more ot my ability

PZR
16th July 2003, 21:21
I went on a KiwiRider organized course last year at Taupo with Brian Bernard and another guy whos name escapes me at present. It cost me $200.00 which I thought was value for money.I had an awesome day it was just what I needed to build my confidence and skill level. Brian and his mate did a good job. My only grizzle was that it could have been a bit more road orientated as I have no wish to go track racing but really want to improve my road skills.
I'd love to learn to wheelstand without the (extremely high) :Oops: possibility of biting the seal :gob:
All those who also did the course seemed to get heaps out of it. There were about 15 of us I think. It was a full on day and the majority of us were knackered by the end of the day as there was so much track time
10 out of 10 in my book

wkid_one
17th July 2003, 08:13
LOL - I think the LTSA and ACC would have something to say about them running a training session on our roads!

Who saw the Pam Corkery show with Dave and the footage from his win at the IOMTT?

bluninja
24th July 2003, 15:21
OK so who is actually up for sharing the cost of some road race coaching with Brin Bernard at Manfeild Friday 29th August ? $300 each for 2, $200 for 3, $150 each for 4 (plus track costs, petrol etc). I'll speak to Brian on Saturday (if there) to see if he's still free and get some more details, but it's only 4 weeks away.

TTFN

Hoon
24th July 2003, 15:31
Yep Blu I'm still keen (rain or shine!!!).  Manfield might be a bit far for my van (diff and water pump need attention) but if you have room in your trailer I can take my car instead!

Let me know when you need the cash and we can meet up sometime!

bikerboy
24th July 2003, 16:53
I've not been following this but am interested I think.

What size group are you aiming for? Where is Manfield? Is it in conjunction with others on the track? What will we get for our money...1 on one, 1 on three, 1 on twenty? Is it aimed at beginners, intermediates, etc,? Finally how much track time, once areound, five times round?:done:

Sorry to be such a pain but I'm not sure if it is appropriate for someone like me.:(

bluninja
24th July 2003, 17:15
BB, Manfeild Autocourse ia at Feilding near Palmerston North (way south of the Bombays:D)

The maximum group size I'm attempting to arrange is 4...so 1 instructor max 4 students. The training will take place at a testing day, much like Puke where you go out in groups (cars, bikes, trucks) for about 20 mins at a time for the duration of the day. I don't have specifics of the format of the training yet, but expect it will be theory and feedback between sessions and demonstration/observation on track.

The coaching will be geared to going faster around a racetrack, no road going focus at all.

TTFN

bluninja
28th July 2003, 14:24
Ho-hoon, spoke to Brian on Saturday and he says that the coaching will be tailored to the individuals (who may have differnt skill levles and bikes) being coached and the weather conditions. Apart from the 'normal' stuff there will be drills to work on specific areas of riding (braking, corner speed etc.), and advice on supsension setup, race prep. If it rains or is really wet, he won't be able to do some things (like braking drills), but that's always the chance. No money up front.....it's book and pay on the day....though if you book and don't turn up you'll still have to pay. Can you email me at bluninja@ihug.co.nz if you want to go ahead and I'll get things rolling.

I can transport your bike down on my trailer (may even give you a lift if you want to share petrol) and I've found a place to stay at $15 per head per night. Hey you could even have a race at Manfeild the next day!

Anyone else with serious interest let me know soon...email is best.

TTFN

Dave
28th July 2003, 18:08
I'd be quite keen, i'll have to confirm a little closer to the time.
Any improvements always welcomed.

Racey Rider
28th July 2003, 19:41
I'ld still like to be there,, just "in discussions" with the wife at the moment about the amount of "Outlay" being "Layed Out" in this new sport. Any tips on where to squeeze an extra $150 out of the bugget for this??? :( :( :(:(

Dave
29th July 2003, 08:32
Buy a loaf of bread and take the wifes lunch money away.

bluninja
29th July 2003, 13:41
Racey, don't forget the $75 for the test day at Manfeild :D  but then you'd have had to pay for the practice day anyhow. As for the money you could always sell your body....it's legal now:rolleyes:

TTFN

Racey Rider
29th July 2003, 18:22
Body For Sale!
Must sell! (To finance racing)
Great Condition! ((If looked at from a distance!)
Comes with Free loaf of bread
$150 or Best Offer! :o
Spare bits available: $75

Dave
30th July 2003, 15:55
Now if i could just find the person that said they would follow me around the racetrack for $200...

bluninja
30th July 2003, 16:39
Dave, I reckon I colud get better results if I paid people $200 to follow me around on raceday :D

bikerboy
30th July 2003, 17:18
That was me after seeing your impressive resume but conditional on you getting the RS/KD seal of approval.:argh:

Dave
2nd August 2003, 16:57
I might've posted too much to be any good at riding now!
Better put the bike up for sale so i can concentrate on my posting.