PDA

View Full Version : NC30 fuel problem

montsta56
30th May 2007, 18:32
Hey People,
I just put my Nc30 Project back together after A bit of a restoration. An I've Seem to have a FUEL PROBLEM The BIke Started fine but then seemed to run out of gas. There's fuel in the tank, I checked the Fuel filter inside the tank an it's clean enough. So I put some Fuel straight into the fuel line an also into the throat of the carb's an she fired up an sounded sweet,. So i put the tank back on an started it again It ran for a bit put soon sounded as though it ran out of fuel. I've kind of checked the fuel tap by putting gas in it an seeing if fuel came out of the Tap An fuck all seemed to be coming out just a few drips??? Should i Assume the fuel Tap's Fucked
Cheers in Advance

skidMark
30th May 2007, 18:35
make sure you have put the vacuum feed on...there should be a hose from the intake minfold to the fuel tap...the engine sucks on the pipe...letting fuel flow through the tap.....

without this suction...your not going to get any fuel.

cheers: Mark

montsta56
30th May 2007, 18:45
Cheers Mark I think you've hit the Nail on the head. Can I also take this opportunity to Request membership to the VFRPS??
Cheers:rockon:

skidMark
30th May 2007, 18:48
all are welcome to VFRPS provided you have a vfr...which you do.... :D

get in the garage n let me know how you got on....

ben444
30th May 2007, 19:16
Or do this fuel tap mod (http://www.akhara.com/nc30/fueltapmod/index.html) and make it gravity fed... stops fuel starvation at constant high rpm...

skidMark
30th May 2007, 19:17
Or do this fuel tap mod (http://www.akhara.com/nc30/fueltapmod/index.html) and make it gravity fed... stops fuel starvation at constant high rpm...

yeah until your floats get stuck or the needle get grit in it....and then it pisses fuel out all night long in your garage....out of the overflows....

ben444
30th May 2007, 19:20
yeah until your floats get stuck or the needle get grit in it....and then it pisses fuel out all night long in your garage....out of the overflows....

Hahaha... you too huh... just have to remember to turn the tap off when not using it...

skidMark
30th May 2007, 19:22
Hahaha... you too huh... just have to remember to turn the tap off when not using it...

never happened to me, i'm not silly enuf to run no vacuum fuel tap

moT
30th May 2007, 20:25
is your speedo disconected? if you disconnect that it makes the bike run really fucked up like its running outa gas...do you know a guy called andre?

montsta56
31st May 2007, 12:30
No dont know any Andre??.
Cheers for that guy's she's runnin perfect,
Hopefully I've attached some pic's. Bought it off trade me as abasket case more or less an have spent the last month in the shed repairing an painting her up just finished putting her back together, next stop GP Honda for a dyno tune.:rockon:

skidMark
31st May 2007, 13:07
sooo err what was the problem ?:D

montsta56
31st May 2007, 13:10
sooo err what was the problem ?:D

Hmm Was the vacum hose, I knew that other hose must have been for something:doh:

skidMark
31st May 2007, 13:11
I AM GOD!!!!! lol

vifferman
31st May 2007, 13:13
Bought it off trade me as abasket case more or less an have spent the last month in the shed repairing an painting her up just finished putting her back together.
Noice! :niceone:
Shame though that you didn't choose black or silver for the wheels.:spudwhat:
Perhaps when they get all scratched and muntered you could strip'n'polish 'em. :yes:

montsta56
31st May 2007, 13:25
Noice! :niceone:
Shame though that you didn't choose black or silver for the wheels.:spudwhat:
Perhaps when they get all scratched and muntered you could strip'n'polish 'em. :yes:

Yeah good call, I've just got a spare set of wheels be cleaned up as we speak to be repainted. I'm still deciding weather to flick them in Black Or Red??? I'm thinkind red may give it a similar look to Jared Love's ducati He raced this year.....Thoughts????

more_fasterer
5th June 2007, 11:56
Yum. I'd go for black wheels meself.

That mod for the gravity feed is an interesting one... but I can't help but wonder if it would be a better idea to replace the fuel tap with a larger one that can flow the necessary fuel without disposing of the vacuum feed?

car
9th June 2007, 19:56

I knew a guy once who swore he'd seen a bike leak that had spent the night leaking petrol into one cylinder. Owner came in in the morning, turned the engine over, raw petrol didn't compress too well and he bent a conrod. Smells of urban legend, but its a good excuse to turn your fuel tap off at night.

Personally, I always found that vac valve on the RVF a pain in butt if I left the bike more than a week between rides. Bowls would empty, and I'd have to crank the bike just to fill them up.

If I was lucky, they'd fill just in time for the engine to catch as the battery lost its puff. If I was unlucky, I'd spend three minutes cranking and then another ten pushing the bike up the hill and bumping it back down.

Solution? Ride more often.

skidMark
9th June 2007, 20:34
always pays to fire your bike up often....

i don't think the carbs would go dry, more that the fuel goes a bit shitty, fuel should just sit in a bowl....

yeah my old gpx made me very skilled at roll starts lol (cheers frosty:angry:)

car
10th June 2007, 07:38
always pays to fire your bike up often....

Well, it's good for the soul, if nothing else.

i don't think the carbs would go dry, more that the fuel goes a bit shitty, fuel should just sit in a bowl....

Go off in a week? To me, that seemed less unlikely than the heat-soak up from the engine heating the carbs and flashing off the gas in the bowls. The engine temperature used to spike (because of riding conditions) just before I got home and parked up. But, thinking about it now, if heat-soak up from the engine was the problem, it wouldn't take a week, would it? It'd be gone the next morning.

Who knows?

What I do know is that I'd have that RVF back in a heartbeat. I should have shipped it out here.

*sigh*

Kickaha
11th June 2007, 06:47
I knew a guy once who swore he'd seen a bike leak that had spent the night leaking petrol into one cylinder. Owner came in in the morning, turned the engine over, raw petrol didn't compress too well and he bent a conrod. Smells of urban legend, but its a good excuse to turn your fuel tap off at night.

Not a urban legend, I've had it happen to me on a Ducati I used to own and have seen it on a few two strokes,normally only when the needle and seat aren't sealing properly

car
11th June 2007, 13:54
Not a urban legend, I've had it happen to me on a Ducati I used to own and have seen it on a few two strokes,normally only when the needle and seat aren't sealing properly

Well, that's two blokes I've never met whose names I don't know who claim to have had this particular experience -- it *must* be true!

;)

I've never seen it, but I did have a TS185 once with a dodgy bowl seal that peed a litre of BP's finest all over my drive. The only bike I don't habitually turn off when I park it is the ZXR750 I have now, and that's only because the tap leaks when I switch it to "off".

Kickaha
11th June 2007, 18:00
Another member on here had to fix his motor when he bent a rod from the same thing happening, and one of the funniest things I've seen was two guys at Ruapuna crash starting a RGV250 and having fuel pour out one of the pipes (litres of it)