PDA

View Full Version : Hiya

2_SL0
12th September 2004, 13:11
Hi, just joined.
Getting back into biking, but I come from a dirt background. Not sure what 250 to buy. Most of my riding will be in the country. So would it be more advisable to get a bike with fairing due to the higher speed on country roads. I want a bike that I could stick with for a while, before I feel the need to move up. I was thinking FZR, CBR, ZXR. Or if I went down the naked bike, VTR250, Hornet250, Bandit250, Zeal250. Is a naked bike a pain with the wind buffering continously?
Any suggestions would be great. Who do you recommend to go sit the basic handling skills test with in Auckland? Thanks.

Ms Piggy
12th September 2004, 13:36
Welcome Judderbar :spudwave:
I'm just a new rider so can't give you any ideas on what to buy but there will be some of the group that can. So what made you decided to "get back into" riding?

Have fun :)

Blakamin
12th September 2004, 15:54
Hi! I had a Zeal and loved it. no buffeting at high speed but a times a really strong headwind forces you down a couple of gears just to get it back up there.

Zed
12th September 2004, 17:02
Hi, just joined.
Getting back into biking, but I come from a dirt background. Not sure what 250 to buy. Most of my riding will be in the country. So would it be more advisable to get a bike with fairing due to the higher speed on country roads. I want a bike that I could stick with for a while, before I feel the need to move up. I was thinking FZR, CBR, ZXR. Or if I went down the naked bike, VTR250, Hornet250, Bandit250, Zeal250. Is a naked bike a pain with the wind buffering continously?
Any suggestions would be great. Who do you recommend to go sit the basic handling skills test with in Auckland? Thanks.
Welcome to the site JB, hope you enjoy!

Ps. Get a CBR, it should do you proud. :msn-wink:

Zed

Marknz
12th September 2004, 17:53
Welcome JudderBar,

I'm tipping a VTR250 would be the best bike for you. You're going to get buffeting on all 250's at some stage or another, and with the naked VTR you'll be much less affected by cross winds. I had one for 12 months and it never missed a beat.

StoneChucker
12th September 2004, 18:21
I had an '87 Honda CBR250, and it served me really well... So much so I almost bought another Honda when I was upgrading, almost :msn-wink:

Not sure about the other bikes, but the CBR easily maintains highway speeds, and over if it takes your fancy.

And don't forget to take a test ride, and if possible more than just around the block (which is what I did with my first bike) Hmm, I didn't even test ride my current bike :wacko: Lol, whatever works for you I guess.

Blakamin
12th September 2004, 18:28
Hmm, I didn't even test ride my current bike :wacko: Lol, whatever works for you I guess.
Yeah, buts it's an R1... what did ya need to know, SC?? how fast before you can fall off??? :niceone: :niceone: :blink:

Posh Tourer :P
12th September 2004, 21:23
Is a naked bike a pain with the wind buffering continously?

Naked bike is a matter of what you are used to. Some people dont like it, some don't mind

BHS, go to Doug Swanson on the Shore...

LB
13th September 2004, 05:34
Hi there Judderbar, welcome to the KB site.

I've had naked bikes for years - I love them - what wind buffeting? :msn-wink:

2_SL0
13th September 2004, 12:21
Well, I think I have narrowed it down to the naked bikes, Im going to take them for a ride. I do however have a couple of questions still. Im just under 6ft and weigh about 88kg. Is that weight and size suitable for any of the naked bikes?
Or will I find I need to get suspension mods. I come from a dirt bike background where all the suspenson is adjustable, is much of the suspension adjustable on say a VTR or a 250 Bandit. Last question is the bandit engine the same as the GSX 250, as I heard that they are not a very exciting perfomer? (The GSX 250 that is) Thanks for all the replies you have helped a great deal so far.

Hitcher
13th September 2004, 12:39
Judder, welcome to our gargre! Regards to Iso and Crow.

2_SL0
13th September 2004, 19:11
Ill pass your regards on, Crow is a little busy prying open his wallet.

scumdog
13th September 2004, 20:34
Real bikes don't have radiators, driveshafts or windscreen and aren't plastered in plastic, apart from that you have my approval to buy anything - and don't worry about wind buffeting, just eat less beans, onions and chilli!! :shit:

Marknz
13th September 2004, 22:18
Well, I think I have narrowed it down to the naked bikes, Im going to take them for a ride. I do however have a couple of questions still. Im just under 6ft and weigh about 88kg. Is that weight and size suitable for any of the naked bikes?
Or will I find I need to get suspension mods. I come from a dirt bike background where all the suspenson is adjustable, is much of the suspension adjustable on say a VTR or a 250 Bandit. Last question is the bandit engine the same as the GSX 250, as I heard that they are not a very exciting perfomer? (The GSX 250 that is) Thanks for all the replies you have helped a great deal so far.

I was 5'11" and 100kg's when I started out on the VTR and it didn't have any problems at all. Tail wind, downhill and lying on the tank it was good for 145kph :killingme But you won't be able to make any suspension mods to it at all... or at least none that I'm aware of.

Zapf
13th September 2004, 23:26
Well VTR250 is and still my 1st bike, and its good. haven't had any issues. nice fun good rides, the rear preload is adjustable and that is about it. Had it going 140 on long flat strights and not any more. lots more torque than 250 inline 4's, so don't have to hunt for the right gear as often. But also a bit less power in the top range, so it is enjoyable to ride as long as u are not a speed demon. And the V Twin sounds really nice, so much so that I think I am hooked on the V Twin format.

Cheers
Zapf

Devil
14th September 2004, 15:28
I Have a kwaka ZR250 Balius (nekkid!). Has the ZXR250 engine in it. No problems with weight, im 88kg myself. Has slightly adjustable rear suspension at the rear. Had stiffened the front up myself by making new spacers.

Apparently good for an indicated 177 km/h.

2_SL0
16th September 2004, 13:58
Im looking more and more at the VTR250. Just concerned on how much ooooomph it has on the open road. Thinking more along the lines for overtaking etc, say from 90kmh - 120kmh. Do they handle well around corners as well?
I have to say this site is excellent and everyone has been very helpful.

Nutter34
16th September 2004, 14:36
One newbie to another, welcome.
As for bikes, I'd go for a faired bike but It's only because I've got soft after having a fairing. I rode thousands of km's with my old Guzzi and had a Bros for a while. For normal speeds, no fairing is fine, unless you live in Wellington!
Man, I love Nelson.........

2_SL0
17th September 2004, 19:48
Well, I did it. I have purchased a bike. I pick it up tomorrow. After ummingg and aarrring. I have got a FZR250. 1993. So, Ill be off to buy gear, kewlllll. :2thumbsup

magnum
19th September 2004, 10:13
hi,old 2 strokes still cut the mustard,tzr,rgv.anyway welcome :apint:

Magua
19th September 2004, 11:52
Has slightly adjustable rear suspension at the rear.
As opposed to rear suspension at the front? :D

Magua
19th September 2004, 11:53
Well, I did it. I have purchased a bike. I pick it up tomorrow. After ummingg and aarrring. I have got a FZR250. 1993. So, Ill be off to buy gear, kewlllll. :2thumbsup

FZR, good choice. I picked one up myself last weekend. I may look at getting a bigger (I think) sprocket, the high revs can start to drone around town.

inlinefour
28th January 2005, 00:04
Welcome and enjoy :banana: