PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharging my GSXR

phoenixcustom
31st May 2007, 16:40
Hi i am looking at turbo charging my gsxr 1100 its a 98 watercooled model has anyone done this as i would like to know what would be the best turbo to use and also setting up tips and anything else i need to know to make this happen.
cheers
nathan:scooter:

riffer
31st May 2007, 19:57
Gidday.

How mechanically minded are you?

This could be a long and expensive process...

It's not just a matter of bolting a turbo on.

How much of a search have you done already on the net?

They look interesting though:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/onNyA7rq4CE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/onNyA7rq4CE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

imdying
1st June 2007, 12:49
Nice thing about the GSXRs is that you can get a complete kit (check out some UK sites). Should biff it and get a GSXR1000 though, heaps lighter, better suspension, and you can still get a turbo kit when you get used to the manic power :D

vifferman
1st June 2007, 13:03
A Rotrex supercharger might be a better option - TTS (http://www.tts-performance.co.uk/homepage.shtml) in the UK do this, and you can buy the bits over the Interdweeb.

riffer
1st June 2007, 19:02
Do bear in mind that the gixxer clutch won't take a huge amount more than about 150 neddies. A turbo will give you heaps more than that.

Plenty of merkins have munted clutches with turbos on gsxr1100s according to a few google searches on the subject I've done.

moT
3rd June 2007, 01:06
someone turbocharge my NC30

DEATH_INC.
3rd June 2007, 07:49
Depends on what you want, and how much you got to spend. A mr turbo kit is easy to replicate, simple draw through system using a Hardley carb, good enough for 250+ hp though. If you wanna go the whole hog though, better put away the better side of 20 g's, EFI, scavenge pump, intercooler, carillo rods, etc, but 500+ hp won't be too hard, at least for a while......

DEATH_INC.
3rd June 2007, 07:51
someone turbocharge my NC30
Looked into this before, biggest problem is a lack of room, and you'll prolly hafta get custom pistons to run much boost, but it could be done...

phoenixcustom
3rd June 2007, 11:28
Hi there, i have had a bit to do with the tuning side of things as i ran a nitros big bore powerd gsxr for a while when drag racing, what i am looking for really is a alternative to spending shit loads on a off the shelf system, pipe work etc i can fabricate myself and have saw a few that have used small turbo,s used in cars .

DEATH_INC.
4th June 2007, 20:35
OK. if it's on a bit of a budget then a mr turbo copy system is for you.
Grab a turbo off a 1800-2000cc car, fab up a compact inlet manifold, the turbo mounts directly to this under the seat, grab an oil feed from somewhere (mebbe the head feeds if they have enough volume, or you can make up a feed plate under the oil filter if it's external) turbo's don't need a lot, drain it to a fitting in the clutch cover (saves pulling the engine right apart) water pipes'll be easy, make up an exhaust manifold to run around the side to the turbo, dump the exhaust straight down, grab a hardley carb or sim and mount it with a slim filter to the turbo inlet (don't worry about the seals, it's an old wives tale). Obvious things like a throttle cable etc need to be done, (and don't forget to hook up the wastegate) It'll run like this, but I'd suggest making a decompression plate to go under the cylinders, not hard, just get a second base gasket and copy it onto a bit of 1.6 - 2mm ally plate then lift the barrels off and stick 'em in. done. I'd also suggest getting a fuel pump (just a fzr one or something small and low pressure) just to ensure good fuel supply.

phoenixcustom
6th June 2007, 19:51
Cheers for that , :scooter: any idea what type of carb i would be looking at /model etc and how about the fuelling i take it i would need to get it set up on a dyno/rolling road .My other thought was to make up a plenum chamber and use my current carbs with bigger jets, i know fuelling may be a problem with a carb set up as it will run pretty rich at low revs whats your opinion on the plenum set up .Any idea on what type of power output i would get , i know a injected bike would save a lot of hassle but im looking for something a little different and have not got the extra 10k to buy one.
cheers

WRT
6th June 2007, 19:58
Geez Death, you are a wealth of knowledge. Always heard you were "the man" when it comes to turbo'd bikes, but this has to be the most detailed response you have given to date - your a lucky man phoenix.

BTW - for inspiration, check out this Two Wheels article:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=408069&postcount=29

knight rider
11th June 2007, 17:46
once you've done it can you show me how to do mine :)

speedpro
12th June 2007, 22:16
I'm not that fond of draw through systems simply because of fuel distribution within the manifold. Keeping it small and therefore velocity high will help but I believe that a blow through system would have less problems. A rising rate fuel pump would be required and you could use an intercooler which you can't with a draw through system. A hardly carb is a good idea for a draw through system, just be aware that they have limits as far as peak horsepower goes and also for tuning range eg idle to 150hp or 25hp to 200hp. It might be hard to get it right at both ends of the range at the same time. For any sort of good and reliable results you will need a tuneable ignition system with a MAP sensor. You'll get it to work without one but it will be a whole lot better with one. If Power Commander do one go that way as Dynojet dynos interface with them and tuning is fast saving lots of money on setup.

rudolph
14th June 2007, 20:22
I have a turbo for you

DEATH_INC.
21st June 2007, 16:35
I'm not that fond of draw through systems simply because of fuel distribution within the manifold. Keeping it small and therefore velocity high will help but I believe that a blow through system would have less problems. A rising rate fuel pump would be required and you could use an intercooler which you can't with a draw through system. A hardly carb is a good idea for a draw through system, just be aware that they have limits as far as peak horsepower goes and also for tuning range eg idle to 150hp or 25hp to 200hp. It might be hard to get it right at both ends of the range at the same time. For any sort of good and reliable results you will need a tuneable ignition system with a MAP sensor. You'll get it to work without one but it will be a whole lot better with one. If Power Commander do one go that way as Dynojet dynos interface with them and tuning is fast saving lots of money on setup.
Yes, but you can build a draw through way cheaper, and it's easier to tune enough to get it all working....