PDA

View Full Version : Do you turn your computer off at night?

Wellyman
31st May 2007, 20:43
Random PC related thread....
I personally Hibernate mine overnight monday till thursday, and leave it running all weekend.
what do you do?
vote in the poll and post comments!
WM

carbacca
31st May 2007, 20:50
bit of 1) and 2) - depends on what time of month it is; early in the month it gets turned off, late in the month it stays on all night torrenting

Nasty
31st May 2007, 20:52
Would be a waste of time cos we would always forget one or two of the five of six :)

The Pastor
31st May 2007, 20:52
my dad says it makes toooo much noise at nite when he wants to sleep.

Mom
31st May 2007, 20:58
This computer is rarely turned off, used to be because it had a power problem and would not turn back on.........now it is because we are in the habit of leaving it on.

Mind you a question for the knowing about these things, I was once told that computers hate being turned off and on, and have generally left all mine on 24/7.........should I turn it off sometimes for a rest?

bobsmith
31st May 2007, 21:02
depends on what I'm running, when I was running linux on a machine I used to leave it on all the time. But with the windows machine that I do a lot of gaming on, I find that I do need to restart time to time (read turn off at night and turn on in the morning) so that it doesn't start lagging framerates. Besides it's a bit of a power drain anyway. For this I don't use hibernate or standby, it would complete negate the purpose of turning the computer off and on for me since everything in the memory and all processes will stay running. so the answer being I do a complete reboot once a day.

Curious_AJ
31st May 2007, 21:02
yeah yo should turn it off at times or it could burn out.. had a couple of problems with my bros pc doing that, now he always has to watch for overheating...

we all turn ours off in this house ... i mean, if we left them on we'd be poor considering they're all on all day, and there's like 5 of them... soooo.. yeah.. hah...

bobsmith
31st May 2007, 21:06
Oh another reason for not leaving it on all the time is if your computer is old, the fans can start making a lot of noise or even stop. Usually a problem with the power supplies as I've never had a CPU fan burn out on me (hmmm perhaps because I'm always upgrading them...)

peasea
31st May 2007, 21:10
bit of 1) and 2) - depends on what time of month it is; early in the month it gets turned off, late in the month it stays on all night torrenting

I think this is a computer-related question, nothing to do with your missus.

Drum
31st May 2007, 21:11
'puter sleeps at night unless it's backing up' music.

robertydog
31st May 2007, 21:17
The thing is on all day so i turn it off at night unless im doing some major down loads.

Quartermile
31st May 2007, 22:00
I think this is a computer-related question, nothing to do with your missus.
Oh dude, Bling

riffer
31st May 2007, 22:01
Okay...

There's three laptops in the lounge - 2 running XP, one running Feisty Fawn, Tim's PC in his room, and in the Sleepout there's the Mac, Games PC, Win2K server, and an old Compaq Deskpro 4000 running Smoothwall (router) ...

how many is that?

Damn I'm getting tired just thinking about turning them off.

No wonder my power bill's so high. :mellow:

Kiwifire72
31st May 2007, 22:03
it goes and stays on till the bss turns it off lo lotherwise whats more important the power bill or the movies and music I am downloading but does get rebooted everyfew days let it have a little rest

Lissa
31st May 2007, 22:07
Always turn the computer off, and all the lights etc, cant stand having too many things turned on at once. My daugter (aged 2) has a habit of turning the computer off at the powerswitch whenever she sees it on... I dont think thats good for it either.

riffer
31st May 2007, 22:09
LOL.

Just checked my smoothie. It hasn't been touched since our last powercut.

75 days...

The other computers (well, all the *nix ones at least - can't say the same for the windows ones) have had similar uptimes too...

Back Fire
31st May 2007, 22:12
I just leave mine on 24/7 playing music... don't think its been turned off in the last 4 years apart from power cuts

TerminalAddict
31st May 2007, 22:13
I like playing this game with firewalls :)

defiant:~# uptime
21:29:13 up 239 days, 9:11, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.06
defiant:~

riffer
31st May 2007, 22:15
Huh. look at your load times.

Like that kind of usage is going to crash it. :mellow:

Still, my smoothie says 0.00 0.00 0.00

I guess routing doesn't push them hard.

TerminalAddict
31st May 2007, 22:17
if only I could get generator circuits that were just as reliable :oi-grr:

peasea
31st May 2007, 22:19
Huh. look at your load times.

Like that kind of usage is going to crash it. :mellow:

Still, my smoothie says 0.00 0.00 0.00

I guess routing doesn't push them hard.

My smoothie is made up of a banana, frozen berries, yoghurt and soy milk. When I'm routing I push REAL hard.

peasea
31st May 2007, 22:20
Oh dude, Bling

You're the best, I love you and want to have your babies.

oldrider
31st May 2007, 22:32
I turn it off at night, because I don't know any different. :o

Indiana_Jones
31st May 2007, 22:40
I always turn mine off at night, work and home.

No sense in wasting power when I'm not gonna use it for ages.

-Indy

Quartermile
31st May 2007, 22:53
You're the best, I love you and want to have your babies.
OMG, I can't belive we both fell the same way

smoky
31st May 2007, 23:01
Just checked my smoothie. It hasn't been touched since our last powercut. 75 days...

I like banana smoothies - but I didn't realise they would keep that long, hope you kept it in the fridge.

smoky
31st May 2007, 23:04
Is a mac considered a PC now days?
I turn off every night, or the wife might get on there and find somin, if it's off she's too lazy to turn it on.

Beemer
31st May 2007, 23:07
I always turn mine off at night, work and home.

No sense in wasting power when I'm not gonna use it for ages.

-Indy

Same here, can't abide wasting power! I know mine wouldn't be drawing much but every little bit adds up! Besides, we live in the country and often have brief power cuts so if it's off, it won't cause any problems.

Gremlin
31st May 2007, 23:14
depending on the quality of the pc, it will need to be restarted periodically. They simply start struggling to add one and one, and get two.

I could leave my pc on, but my very black room feels like daylight with all the blue lights on. Sometimes I will leave it to get a torrent, and then set uTorrent to shut the computer down when finished.

Generally, depending on what sort of pc it is (low power settings, low wattage procs), it just uses the power, and if you aren't using it, no sense wasting it...

Switch
31st May 2007, 23:15
Mines too bloody noisy. If im downloading something or have something important running i leave it going, otherwise i generally switch it off...then i switch it on a couple hours later :yes:

I like playing this game with firewalls:)
defiant:~# uptime
21:29:13 up 239 days, 9:11, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.06
defiant:~

I've never heard of an erection lasting so long...although that could be due to the average load? Not alot if you ask me :laugh: :dodge:

Big Dog
31st May 2007, 23:16
Work machine stays on overnight but home is switched off. Why you ask?
Work machine runs better if it is only switched off when it requires a restart becuase the softwares updates etc are deployed across the network at night and they are all installed when I log in in the morning and my machine runs well while all the others in team who won't listen to me complain about network speed.

At home there is less traffic so I turn my machine on when I get home, go get changed have dinner, check if it needs a restart and if it does restart otherwise good to go. Main reason for turning it off is to limit temptation to get back up and surf if I am not sleeping well (computer is in my room).

Lias
1st June 2007, 13:03
Work PC stays on 24/7
Home server stays on 24/7
Home gaming PC(s), the womans PC, kids pc, laptop etc all get shut down when not in use.

Brian d marge
1st June 2007, 13:04
I would like to but I am doing research into naughty pictures on the internet, So I have to keep tracking a monitoring these.

Sometime I do switch it off

Stephen

Dave Lobster
1st June 2007, 13:40
I am backing up the internet.. so mine stays on all the time.

Wellyman
1st June 2007, 18:18
Look at my server uptime...
booooyah!
WM

Delphinus
1st June 2007, 19:04
The 5 odd servers out in the hall we leave on. PC's in bedrooms usually hibernated at night.

Best uptime was a winxp machine of all things actually... 396 days... yes... more than a year.
Non-photochopped photographic evidence.
http://dev.delphinus.co.nz/396days_winxp.jpg

edit: we were very surprised the power stayed going that long. No UPS, just plugged straight into about 3 strings of multiboxes coming out of 1 wall socket.

Street Gerbil
1st June 2007, 19:18
Office workstation - shuts down at night because mgmt makes a lot of unholy stench about being green and conserving energy.
Home workstations - on/off as needed.
Home server - always on, rebooted once every 3-4 months.

ZeroIndex
1st June 2007, 20:29
I just leave my computer running 24/7. Have music running at night while I sleep, and since it's watercooled, it's pretty nice and quiet. I just turn off my 37" monitor when I'm not using it. I think my average computer restarting rate is once every 150 hours or so... (yes, my computer has a little widget that tells me how long my computer has been running for)

johnnyflash
1st June 2007, 21:51
nope, our puters are never turned off (with exception of upgrade time, otherwise once every 6 months when we take em down to clean out the fluff & dust etc.. they are all busy overnight doing backups, updates, etc, screen powers off tho ...

ZeroIndex
2nd June 2007, 02:06
Work machine stays on overnight but home is switched off. Why you ask?
Work machine runs better if it is only switched off when it requires a restart becuase the softwares updates etc are deployed across the network at night and they are all installed when I log in in the morning and my machine runs well while all the others in team who won't listen to me complain about network speed.

At home there is less traffic so I turn my machine on when I get home, go get changed have dinner, check if it needs a restart and if it does restart otherwise good to go. Main reason for turning it off is to limit temptation to get back up and surf if I am not sleeping well (computer is in my room).

One of the reasons I leave my computer on is for that exact reason... If I can't sleep, I can jump on KB at any hour of the night :)

Holy Roller
2nd June 2007, 04:47
We try to turn the home comp off at night but the young fella only turns off the monitor so he can jump on his game as soon as his feet hit the floor. It takes like forever to start up by then its time to leave for school:bye: