PDA

View Full Version : So The Mini Returns...

Highlander
1st June 2007, 10:56
http://www.rustynuts.org.nz/default.aspx?PageID=406

Anyone else thinking about this yet?

James Deuce
1st June 2007, 11:18
I reckons I could be in for that one I does.

skidMark
1st June 2007, 12:21
185 bucks...bloodey hell.and pillions have to enter seperately too ....jesus.

Blackbird
1st June 2007, 12:58
I'm giving it a bit of thought:yes:

Jantar
1st June 2007, 13:00
I already put in my leave application. :yes:

Hitcher
1st June 2007, 19:11
Hmmmm. The Mini...

KoroJ
1st June 2007, 21:36
I don't think I'd like to jump the ST onto a moving train but otherwise should be a good ride.

Highlander
2nd June 2007, 07:05
My Young fella's first question was "will they let me do it in my mini?"

Seriously thinking about doing it.

James Deuce
2nd June 2007, 07:14
Spousal Leave booked.

Work leave will be booked on Tuesday.

Highlander
2nd June 2007, 07:19
I've done mine the other way round.

The risk is I'll end up spending the week working on a list of jobs rather than riding. :angry:

ducatijim
2nd June 2007, 17:13
Come-on Shafty...this looks like a job 4 u, me and Highlander don't it? Damn fine excuse(?) to ride the south's roads again and rekindle the SX spirit!!
Hey...I might even break the old beemer out of mothballs and take the ole shelia!!

Highlander
2nd June 2007, 17:20
I think it is a challenge we should step up to.

Lee Rusty
2nd June 2007, 17:45

petrol has gone up , accomodations ave gone up, everything has gone up, 10 years ago people said this was an expensive run - one offs always are - special things have to be made that can only be used once, Limited runs also cost more - expenses can only be spread so far.

10 years ago we had over 100 people tell me we will go on the next one - after we announced it was a ONE OFF - this is a ONE OFF - Dont wait and if you think it is to expensive well sorry but thats it you wont be there but the run will go ahead it is 10% full already in 2 days.

The run is on - you will be there or not as to your means but we dont do cheap runs - the entry fee is the small part of any RUSTY run - there are ferry fares, accom , meals, and gas lots and lots of gas.

Highlander
2nd June 2007, 17:55
Starting to look forward to this.

My diary indicates Friday 21st is Good Friday usually the start of school hols (though haven't checked that far yet) so Ferrys & roads could be busy.

Studying the movie for research purposes...

banditrider
2nd June 2007, 21:59
Sounds like I better get the entry in. Only found out about it the other day but it looks like there'll be 2 bandits signing up. Keen as - even went out & bought the movie on DVD - just finished it and ready to go get me some of them flags...

Blue Bandito
3rd June 2007, 11:47
Looks like I'm going to be there, just got to get my entry in, better be quick by the looks.
Got verbal agreement on work leave.
Already studying the map and working out distances.

Lee Rusty
3rd June 2007, 13:39
with over nite stop venues as they are confirmed - also end of run venue details as confirmed.
There will be beers and a meal supplied on Saturday evening.

These details will be emailed or mailed to entrants direct.

more details needed PM me

Hitcher
3rd June 2007, 14:32
Bought the DVD today. Tuesday will require the booking of annual leave. Sounds like a good 'n.

banditrider
3rd June 2007, 16:25
Sounds like there's a few people gonna be booking leave come tuesday! Now where can I get a leather flying helmet and is it legal?

Hitcher
3rd June 2007, 17:21
Now where can I get a leather flying helmet and is it legal?

It is if you're driving a Mini or flying a plane...

banditrider
3rd June 2007, 17:39
It is if you're driving a Mini or flying a plane...

What if you're just low flying?

shafty
3rd June 2007, 18:57
Come-on Shafty...this looks like a job 4 u, me and Highlander don't it? Damn fine excuse(?) to ride the south's roads again and rekindle the SX spirit!!
Hey...I might even break the old beemer out of mothballs and take the ole shelia!!

Sounds like a mighty fine idea........... though it is a bit far in advance to commit just yet for me.

shafty
3rd June 2007, 18:59
The run is on - you will be there or not as to your means but we dont do cheap runs - the entry fee is the small part of any RUSTY run - there are ferry fares, accom , meals, and gas lots and lots of gas.

Well said Lee. Two choices here. Farkin take it or farkin leave it. Just don't whinge about it.

Highlander
3rd June 2007, 19:44
Sounds like there's a few people gonna be booking leave come tuesday! Now where can I get a leather flying helmet and is it legal?

Need the glasses with the nose and mostache attached too.

quikk
4th June 2007, 10:06
In fact, I'll give you 50 bucks if you wear the glasses, nose and mustache deal the whole trip...........

Toaster
4th June 2007, 10:10

Jesus is your pillion???!!!

Highlander
4th June 2007, 20:56
In fact, I'll give you 50 bucks if you wear the glasses, nose and mustache deal the whole trip...........

Got time between now and then to grow one like Jaime on Mythbusters (though rpobably enough grey in it to end up like Paul Senior from 'Merkinchopper)....

Hitcher
12th June 2007, 18:31
Here's a trivia question: Either in the movie Goodbye Pork Pie, or preferably in the Pork Pie Run 10 years ago, what was the preferred route from Cromwell to Dunedin?

1. Via Milton
2. Via Middlemarch
3. Via Palmerston
4. Via some other heinous route

Lee Rusty
12th June 2007, 21:18
Here's a trivia question: Either in the movie Goodbye Pork Pie, or preferably in the Pork Pie Run 10 years ago, what was the preferred route from Cromwell to Dunedin?

1. Via Milton
2. Via Middlemarch
3. Via Palmerston
4. Via some other heinous route

but remember there was an overnite stop at Blueskin Bay north of Dunedin

Hitcher
12th June 2007, 22:35
but remember there was an overnite stop at Blueskin Bay north of Dunedin

But not an overnighter for the Mini. I shall have to watch that movie again...

Thank you.

Lee Rusty
12th June 2007, 23:00
But not an overnighter for the Mini. I shall have to watch that movie again...

Thank you.

but it was a catch up point for the riders - we had a meal together and in the morning picked up flags at the octogon and had a fast blast to the invercargill cemtery gates - then on to the Eagle Club rooms for lunch

Overnite stops were not relevent to movie but flag stop checkpoints were all significant parts in the movie, Fort St Ak where the two men met, Pokeno where they first stole gas, etc. The same cps will be use more or less

elle-f
18th June 2007, 07:27
JANTAR!! i will finally get to meet the guy who introduced me to this site and the others who know me can slap ya :laugh:

Hitcher
18th June 2007, 08:38
A 966km first day, by my calculations, and almost 600 for day two.

Freakshow
18th June 2007, 10:38
Has anyone already done the maths and have a guesstimate figure on the cost of this event?? Eg adding accomodation and gas and ferry costs maybe food it time.

Jantar
18th June 2007, 10:51
JANTAR!! i will finally get to meet the guy who introduced me to this site and the others who know me can slap ya :laugh:
So I guess that you are entering as well, elle. Great news.

Be careful of the slaps though, I may just :spanking: right back. :hug:

Hitcher
18th June 2007, 13:03
Has anyone already done the maths and have a guesstimate figure on the cost of this event?? Eg adding accomodation and gas and ferry costs maybe food it time.

You can work this out yourself using publicly available information and an estimate for the price of petrol in March 2008. Total distance for the event itself is about 2,700km. You will need to at least double this to allow for getting yourself to the start and home again. Don't forget the cost of entry, and you probably need to hurry to get registered, as this is a restricted numbers gig.

Krusti
18th June 2007, 16:37
Just watched the movie......entry fee not a problem but I don't know if I could afford the bag of dope!

Blue Bandito
19th June 2007, 08:37

If the Southern Cross is anything to go by, and this is a simaliar time and distance. When you factor in tyres and bike services. You are looking at around $2000. Depending on how hungry your bike is (who knows what petrol will cost then) and how flash you want your accomodation to be. A ferry trip is about $200 return for bike and rider. But I hear they have put their prices up too.

Freakshow
19th June 2007, 11:20
If the Southern Cross is anything to go by, and this is a simaliar time and distance. When you factor in tyres and bike services. You are looking at around $2000. Depending on how hungry your bike is (who knows what petrol will cost then) and how flash you want your accomodation to be. A ferry trip is about $200 return for bike and rider. But I hear they have put their prices up too.

Thanks BB,

That was all I was after a round figure! and its about what I was guessing. Definalty interested in something like this but booking ahead to next week is a challenge let alone next year.

Cheers

Blue Bandito
19th June 2007, 13:26
No worries.
With a bit of luck we will see you there. I, along with a few others already have an entry in. If other Rusty Nut evnts are anything to go by it should be a goodin.

banditrider
21st June 2007, 20:31
Thanks BB,

That was all I was after a round figure! and its about what I was guessing. Definalty interested in something like this but booking ahead to next week is a challenge let alone next year.

Cheers

It's been 10 years since the last one - probably easier to plan for next year's one than wait another 10 years...:yes:

BTW: Did 6,300km on Southern Cross (and tiki-touring) for about $590 in fuel. Anyone got any predictions for gas prices in 2008?

Lee Rusty
23rd June 2007, 21:57
to have the feeling of the legendary PP 98 run with 12 of the original riders in so far and 12 more on the way.

I will be sending out details of venues shortly- just awaiting the last confirmations.

Looking good the open to all riders section is filling well, just from this site and advertising about to hit the magazines next month.

KR guys have a head start.

banditrider
27th July 2007, 21:17
Just got confirmation of my entry - can't wait, really looking like a good ride. The Blue Bandito has even gone and started booking accomodation. Need to sort Ferry tickets next and maybe put my leave app in.

Hitcher
27th July 2007, 21:56
Just got confirmation of my entry

Ditto for the Hitchers. Booking ferries and accommodation is the next task.

I've measured the route as follows (all distances to the nearest km):

Day 1: 966km
Day 2: 593km (to the Ferry terminal)
Day 3: 197km
Day 4: 768km

Interestingly the North Island leg is exactly the same length as Day 1 (give or take a whisker), which shows what a decent lump of real estate that South Island is!

banditrider
28th July 2007, 15:45
Ditto for the Hitchers. Booking ferries and accommodation is the next task.

I've measured the route as follows (all distances to the nearest km):

Day 1: 966km
Day 2: 593km (to the Ferry terminal)
Day 3: 197km
Day 4: 768km

Interestingly the North Island leg is exactly the same length as Day 1 (give or take a whisker), which shows what a decent lump of real estate that South Island is!

Good to see we're not the only nutters getting revved up about it already. We're thinking of coming back to Palmy on Day 2 & having a day off before doing the Northern leg. Be nice to sleep in own bed and drop off some crap.

Yep, any excuse to get down south...will probably take 2 or 3 days to crusie down before the start so we can enjoy the mainland for a bit.

Hitcher
28th July 2007, 17:41
Our plan too is to take an evening ferry from Picton, stay the night at home and then have a sleep-in and a leisurely stroll up to Wangavegas the following day.

Lee Rusty
29th July 2007, 13:40
remember if you are going home to PN that you have to be at Wanganui Cmpground to start last leg at 7.00 - the checkpoint flag bearers are on the run an they will not wait for long - when last rider is gone they will be too but they wont be waiting for stragglers for very long - prob about 15 mins then off.

Highlander
30th July 2007, 13:55
Sent in my entry the other day.

We are talking about heading down via the scenic route heading off Sat (?) to be at Bluff for Tuesday evening.

Our son is planning on tagging along in his mini, I'm not sure which of us is the supposed to be the support vehicle.

Hitcher
30th July 2007, 18:40
Here's a distance guide I've worked up off my Topo Map.

Highlander
24th November 2007, 13:50
Leave booked.
Entry confirmed.

Starting to think about ferry sailings & accommodation.

What are you others thinking about in respect to getting to Invercargill (other than "by bike" :2guns:, I'm reffering to planned routes etc)?

Any interest in getting together before arriving the Eagle on Tuesday 18th? :scooter::scooter::drinknsin

I'm thinking of crossing South on Sunday 16th and taking a leisurely Southern route (well in comparison to the Northern one)....

Jantar
24th November 2007, 14:06
...What are you others thinking about in respect to getting to Invercargill (other than "by bike" :2guns:, I'm reffering to planned routes etc)?

Any interest in getting together before arriving the Eagle on Tuesday 18th? :scooter::scooter::drinknsin: ....

Oh, I was thinking of heading away from here shortly after lunch, going via Raes Junction, Gore, Kennington, and being in Bluff around 3:30 or so.

But I could also head east via the Pig Root and meet up with the northern contingent at either Palmerston or Dunedin a bit earlier.

Highlander
24th November 2007, 14:09
Oh, I was thinking of heading away from here shortly after lunch, going via Raes Junction, Gore, Kennington, and being in Bluff around 3:30 or so.

But I could also head east via the Pig Root and meet up with the northern contingent at either Palmerston or Dunedin a bit earlier.

Which ever way it pans out, I'd be keen on having a pint with you at the Eagle when we get there.

banditrider
24th November 2007, 14:58
Leave booked.
Entry confirmed.

Starting to think about ferry sailings & accommodation.

What are you others thinking about in respect to getting to Invercargill (other than "by bike" :2guns:, I'm reffering to planned routes etc)?

Any interest in getting together before arriving the Eagle on Tuesday 18th? :scooter::scooter::drinknsin

I'm thinking of crossing South on Sunday 16th and taking a leisurely Southern route (well in comparison to the Northern one)....

Entry confirmed, leave booked, some accomodation booked. Need to look at ferries soon.

Not sure what day we'll head across but we were gonna head down the centre but then duck out and do the Catlins.

chanceyy
24th November 2007, 15:02
Bluebridge is cheaper than the interislander .. & Pm dogsnbikes to see when he is on .. if you go on his sailings he will look after you :niceone:

banditrider
24th November 2007, 15:06
Bluebridge is cheaper than the interislander .. & Pm dogsnbikes to see when he is on .. if you go on his sailings he will look after you :niceone:

Yeah, went on Bluebridge earlier this year. Was also shocked to find that the staff were friendly and helpful. Made sure bikes were ok etc and let us off first. Good tucker too!

ynot slow
24th November 2007, 20:59
Also if anyone knows a person who belongs to the mobile home brigade they can get cheaper tickets on bluebridge by quoting their mobile home number(affiliate).

Damn good film,especially the part when the cop got his handcuffs through the steering wheel,hope if you guys meet our friendly blue boys,and if you were to be speeding(which you won't),the same thing is re-inacted.

shafty
25th November 2007, 20:33

Got me thinking it could be as much fun as ya can have with ya pants off Mate. Let me consult my Kumar's.....................

Hitcher
26th November 2007, 07:51
Ooh! Thanks for the reminder. Must book Bluebridge tickets for the Mini Run. Last time I looked, I couldn't book that far into the future.

Blue Bandito
26th November 2007, 08:15
Banditrider and I are looking at crossing on the 16th then making our way south via the inland route and around the Catlins to Invercargill.

Got accomadation booked for heading north again but plan to wing it going south. Just need to work out which ferry crossings we want to take.

ducatijim
26th November 2007, 14:49
Also if anyone knows a person who belongs to the mobile home brigade they can get cheaper tickets on bluebridge by quoting their mobile home number(affiliate).

Does this mean that I can get a 'double' discount; as Ulysses also do a discount fare and I belong to both Uly & NZMCA ??

Highlander
5th February 2008, 15:50
So any way, my entry is confirmed, and ferry tickets booked.
Time to think about accommodation.

Just go toff the phone with the Wanganui Top 10 Holiday park, enquiring about a cabin...."Friday 2st March is Easter. We have a 4 night minimum Stay for Easter"

Any one else struck that or is it just me?

banditrider
5th February 2008, 16:58
I think Hitcher did. We're coming back to Palmy on day 2 so get a day off and just start early on day 4.

Hitcher
5th February 2008, 17:19
Any one else struck that or is it just me?

Me too. The wankers. We're booked for Friday night at the Midtown on Victoria Street. Nice and handy to things and not excessively expensive. Friendly gals on the freephone 0800 272 664 as well.

Hitcher
5th February 2008, 17:20
We're coming back to Palmy on day 2 so get a day off and just start early on day 4.

Be warned that Lee likes early starts and there will be a starting checkpoint in Wanganui.

banditrider
5th February 2008, 17:39
Be warned that Lee likes early starts and there will be a starting checkpoint in Wanganui.

Yep, already been made aware from that - should be able to drag my sorry butt outta bed early that day.

Lee Rusty
5th February 2008, 21:38
we are aware that the joker that runs the camp has decided to only take bookings of 4 days and we have advised people when sending back info - you may not have got yours for some reason.

It is not what he agreed to but there is little we can do about it - The Start point of the run for the day wil be changed - to another central place. The new cp will be given to riders on the first day. As riders are spread over different boats some on thursday night some friday morning it was always going to be the most disorganised CP - camp owners like this dont help whne they make a deal and break a deal..But it is beyond or control .

On the bright side every where else is looking good.

Highlander
6th February 2008, 20:26
Will do a ring around in the morning and sort something. :msn-wink:

Gotta love these business owners that tell you one thing then do another. :Pokey:

ducatijim
8th February 2008, 16:55
Hey hlndr and shafty, howzit?

I am going to have to bow out of this; seem to be doing a bit of this lately, however things are really VERY not good down on the farm:whocares: at the moment...cows are dry and NO income until november '08 will be a challenge without me going out and racking up frivolous (?) expenses we don't need ( unlike food....oh....thats for the cows...not me!!):doh:

I have an entry that someone can have real cheep, if this becomes full-up, which is unlikely.

Youall have a great time now won't you, yahear!!:woohoo:

banditrider
10th February 2008, 16:03
The Blue Bandito & I had a bit of a sit down in front of Google maps and have worked out roughly how we're going to get down there and how we're getting home from Kaitaia. Couldn't work out how to put the maps here so they're on my blog here (http://banditrider.blogspot.com/2008/02/pork-pie-plans.html).

Can I start packing now?

KoroJ
10th February 2008, 19:12
haven't you packed yet Andrew?

I decided to get down by stopping over at Motueka then doing the Lewis Pass to Christchurch, that way I don't duplicate any roads. I'm taking the same route from there but hadn't thought about nipping around the Catlins though.

I'll head down to Rotorua afterwards, then decide whether I'm up to an East Cape run or down through the Para's but I imagine I will have had enough by then and the arse will dictate the more direct route.

banditrider
10th February 2008, 19:23
Can't pack until my topbox mount arrives...

The Catlins are well worth it if you've got time. We're actually going off the main road a bit to get close to the coast - may see some gravel but it should be good. We checked out Cannibal Bay & Nugget point on the last Southern Cross so can miss them this time.

banditrider
14th February 2008, 20:03
If I've done this right (hacked Yod's countdown), then this is the countdown to when I leave for the ferry: http://andrew.l.thomson.googlepages.com/TheMinisReturnCountdown.html

Hitcher
14th February 2008, 20:54
Yod's countdown timer clearly needs some work.

Highlander
17th February 2008, 07:23
...I am going to have to bow out of this ...:

That REALLY sucks, must practice the rain dance on your behalf.

Just realised that in 5 weeks it will be all over and I'll be heading home (mulling over plans for the '09 Southern Cross perhaps...).

ducatijim
20th February 2008, 17:38
I'm already looking forward to the next,09, SX.....I will be there with bells on, count on it!!!

shafty
21st February 2008, 21:29
I'm already looking forward to the next,09, SX.....I will be there with bells on, count on it!!!

COOL! Lets plan our next stunt!

KoroJ
22nd February 2008, 22:45
COOL! Lets plan our next stunt!

Hmmmm......by stunt do you mean ride or shenanegans?

The next Rusty Ride after this would be the GC, but you'd want to keep your clothes on for that, or else it really would be a Cool Challenge.

Then there should be a Four Points, a Longest Day or Capital Cruise and a Chatto Creek.

If you can manage all of them it may go part way to hardening the Butt for the proposed 10,000Kms in 10 days......not to mention what it will do towards hardening your Bank Managers attitude.

Highlander
23rd February 2008, 07:44
If you can manage all of them it may go part way to hardening the Butt for the proposed 10,000Kms in 10 days......not to mention what it will do towards hardening your Bank Managers attitude.

More worried about hardening my wifes attitude :nono: . Certainly keen on the Southern Cross, still mulling the extention.

banditrider
8th March 2008, 16:55
Who's ready now?

Highlander
9th March 2008, 06:19
Yet to pack my bag but this time next week I am on my way. Quite looking forward to it.

Hitcher
9th March 2008, 12:15
Top box road tested and ready to rock and roll.

banditrider
9th March 2008, 13:42
Yet to pack my bag but this time next week I am on my way. Quite looking forward to it.

Yep, this time next week we'll be on day 2 on the mainland - going down Saturday nad taking it easy on the way down. Been chaffing at the bit for a while now...just 5 days at work to get through somehow.

Hitcher
10th March 2008, 07:52
Next Monday we should be en route from Ashburton to somewhere approximating Alexandra. Veritably foaming at the bung with anxious anticipation I am.

Johnm
10th March 2008, 08:48
Hi Guys - I see that there is an airshow at Ohakea next Sunday so may cause delays to those of us getting ferries Sunday afternoon. Anyone know an easy detour?

purplearchitect
10th March 2008, 08:51
As an entrant in the original Pork pie run back in '98, I'm in again for the return journey - I mean to say, how can a gal refuse!!
Entry confirmed, Ferry tickets booked, Accomodation sorted, Leave assigned, new bike aquired!
Tomorrow's packing day and on Wednesday we're off.
See you in Bluff For Club Night!!

Hitcher
10th March 2008, 10:05
Hi Guys - I see that there is an airshow at Ohakea next Sunday so may cause delays to those of us getting ferries Sunday afternoon. Anyone know an easy detour?

A detour to where? If to the South Island, than sorry no. You're stuck with the inter-island ferries.

Highlander
10th March 2008, 17:03

At Vinegar Hill (bit south of Mangaweka) veer left onto 54 takes you through Fielding. From there you can go either over the hill to Pahiatua and down through Masterton (Rimutaka's :2thumbsup) or Shanon and out to the main highway near Levin.

You just bypassed Bulls, Ohakea, Sanson and took a more scenic Road. (check it on a map)

See you at the Eagle.

BTW welcome to KiwiBiker.

Highlander
12th March 2008, 00:44
Reading through it looks like the Kiwi Biker contingent is:

Jim2
KoroJ
Banditrider (no longer on a bandit)
BlueBandito
Mr Hitcher (and Mrs Hitcher?)
Johnm
Purple Architect
Freakshow?
Lee Rusty
Highlander (me).

I think I saw Nigelc mention it in another thread.

Any other takers?

Hitcher
12th March 2008, 07:39
Woo hoo! This time next week!

NiggleC
12th March 2008, 09:26
yes i'm in

banditrider
12th March 2008, 19:12
Woo hoo! This time next week!

We'll be in Greymouth!

Jantar
12th March 2008, 19:25
Reading through it looks like the Kiwi Biker contingent is:

Jim2
KoroJ
Banditrider (no longer on a bandit)
BlueBandito
Mr Hitcher (and Mrs Hitcher?)
Johnm
Purple Architect
Freakshow?
Lee Rusty
Highlander (me).

I think I saw Nigelc mention it in another thread.

Any other takers?

I've had to pull out due to a hospital appointment on the 20th, and many thanks to KoroJ for taking my place. I hope to meet up with Highlander at Lawrence and ride through as far as Makarora with him. I'm guessing Shafty wont be too far away, and I'll watch out for any other KBers.

If you see a rider in all black leathers and black helmet, and riding a red and black vstrom with a Givi top box, that'll be me. :ride:

Hitcher
12th March 2008, 19:26
Whilst rummaging around looking for ferry tickets, and other necessary requisites for a southern departure, I can't find any details about the pre-start arrangements in Invercargill. Location and time of check-in etc?

Could somebody please oblige? Mrs H and I will be at the motorcamp the night before, if anybody's up for some dinner somewhere in town?

Jantar
12th March 2008, 19:28
The Rustynuts have a club night/social meet at the Eagle in Bluff the night before.

Highlander
12th March 2008, 19:31
Unfortunately Shafty and Ducatijim both wer keen but other circumstances have forced their hand and neither of them will be joining us this trip. :(

Mr Hitcher, start time is designated as 08:00 at the Invercargill Cemetary.

Looking forward to a catch up / meet and greet at the Eagle Tuesday night.

banditrider
12th March 2008, 19:32
Whilst rummaging around looking for ferry tickets, and other necessary requisites for a southern departure, I can't find any details about the pre-start arrangements in Invercargill. Location and time of check-in etc?

Could somebody please oblige? Mrs H and I will be at the motorcamp the night before, if anybody's up for some dinner somewhere in town?

Run starts 8am Invercargill Cemetary Gates. The Blue Bandito & I are staying at the top ten & were thinking of going over to the club nite and hopefully getting a feed there...

banditrider
12th March 2008, 19:33
Unfortunately Shafty and Ducatijim both wer keen but other circumstances have forced their hand and neither of them will be joining us this trip. :(

Mr Hitcher, start time is designated as 08:00 at the Invercargill Cemetary.

Looking forward to a catch up / meet and greet at the Eagle Tuesday night.

Bet me to it!

Hitcher
12th March 2008, 20:35
Run starts 8am Invercargill Cemetary Gates. The Blue Bandito & I are staying at the top ten & were thinking of going over to the club nite and hopefully getting a feed there...

Cheers! No scrutineering or anything like that then?

I guess the two Concours will be easy to spot. As too hopefully should be a red Bandit and its hot blonde rider and a crotchety old bald dude on a slightly modified FJR1300.

banditrider
12th March 2008, 20:38
Cheers! No scrutineering or anything like that then?

I guess the two Concours will be easy to spot. As too hopefully should be a red Bandit and its hot blonde rider and a crotchety old bald dude on a slightly modified FJR1300.

Should recognise you from the GC. Also, only the 1 Connie - the Blue Bandito is still riding a Blue Bandito.

Edit: They don't scrutineer on the Southern X so they may not on this ride too??

Highlander
12th March 2008, 20:42
Do I need to refit my Highlanders flag?

banditrider
12th March 2008, 20:46
Do I need to refit my Highlanders flag?

At the very least - we'll be "haired-up".

ynot slow
12th March 2008, 21:14
If you see a rider in all black leathers and black helmet, and riding a red and black vstrom with a Givi top box, that'll be me. :ride:

You weren't in Queenstown Friday? or Sunday(last),thought I saw a rider on a bike matching that description around Qtown or Arrowtown,but as there is bound to be tourists as well maybe not,the bike caught my eye when we saw it later parked.:scooter:

Nice scenery as well,small amount of roadworks around Cromwell area,:bash:but good from Chch to there.The lakes were awesome,so clear and pristine,even in Queenstown the lake edge on Thursday was clear enough to see the bottom for quite a distance.:yes:

No wonder the brother likes the area,snowboarding,boating,but bugga living in his bus in winter.:cold:

KoroJ
12th March 2008, 21:27
I'm all set to go. Bike now serviced and new Storm on the rear.

I'm heading down Sunday with overnights in Motueka and Chch then plan to go via Tekapo and Cardrona and staying at Top 10.

See ya's there!!

Jantar
12th March 2008, 21:37
You weren't in Queenstown Friday? or Sunday(last),thought I saw a rider on a bike matching that description around Qtown or Arrowtown,but as there is bound to be tourists as well maybe not,the bike caught my eye when we saw it later parked.:scooter:

Not then. I was at the bungy bridge yesterday with Cajun and Motogirl, but working on both Friday and Sunday.

Blue Bandito
13th March 2008, 18:55
The Blue Bandito is ready to go.

Bike has been serviced with new rubber fitted.

All the gear for the trip has been prepared.

Most importantly the helmet has his hair attached.

Will see everyone in the deep south.

ducatijim
14th March 2008, 17:12
A GREAT BIG 'BEST WISHES' TO ALL YOUS DOING THIS,especially my M8 -HIGHLANDER, HAVE A SUPER TIME AND STAY SAFE NOW YOUHEAR!!thinkn of you with envy!!!!

Jamie.:beer:

banditrider
15th March 2008, 07:35
Just about to pack the bike ready for a 9:30 departure. Primo day in Palmy so should be a nice little ride down to Welly and onto Kaikoura. Have a great ride everyone else who's heading down in the next wee while and see you all safe & sound in the deep south! :2thumbsup

ynot slow
15th March 2008, 08:58
Enjoy the trip people,and if your lucky like us,you may not see any/many police out on highway,the sights around Tekapo,Twizel and south are primo.

If you are in need of good quality campsite try Arrowtown one,very clean and close to town,then only a short hop to Invercargill.

MaxB
15th March 2008, 21:58
Good luck guys, hope you get round and home safe and sound. Hope the weather holds for you.

I couldn't go 'cos I have to work 7 days a week in my business right now. I'm already making plans for next years Southern Cross though.

shafty
15th March 2008, 22:18
BastardsBastardsBastardsBastardsBastardsBastardsBa stardsBastards!

I hate missing out - but good on ya Guys and Gals - enjoy, stay safe and 'tell us all aboot it"!!

Cheers Shafty

:devil2:

banditrider
16th March 2008, 18:46
It's day 2 for us and we've made it to Omarama. Pretty good weather, no cops and some great riding. Ducking back out to the East tomorrow to do the Catlins on Tuesday.

Freekin awesome, I may never go home!

Jantar
16th March 2008, 18:50
What Shafty said +1.

I'm on night shift, at work right now, and thinking of you bars-tards just over the hill in Omarama.

Oh well, stick with Highlander on wednesday morning and I'll catch up with you for a couple of hundred kms or so. :ride:

ynot slow
16th March 2008, 19:19
It's day 2 for us and we've made it to Omarama. Pretty good weather, no cops and some great riding. Ducking back out to the East tomorrow to do the Catlins on Tuesday.

Freekin awesome, I may never go home!

Scenery awesome there,good if ya can look at it,instead of dodging campervans lol.Cameras get a good workout with the views.

Mate did the east coast prior to getting to Arrowtown,to meet us there,said the Caitlins was brilliant,mind you they took about a week to get from Picton to Arrowtown.

Bring back oysters.

banditrider
18th March 2008, 15:08
Now in Invercargill where the sun is roasting us. Have done the Catlins today and ready for tomorrow's kick off. Have run into several of the other riders in a few different places and KoroJ just rode past the window so looks like he's ready to rock too.

Have put a couple quick blogs up but no pictures yet - saving them...

Jantar
19th March 2008, 19:20
I arrived home at 5:00 pm after riding half a day with them.

Left home shortly after 09:00 this morning and headed through to lawrence for a coffee. Highlander said he'd text me as he was leaving Dunedin so I'd know what time to expect them. Shortly after 11:00 I received a text saying they were just leaving Dunedin and would be refuelling in Milton. As I was only 25 minutes from Milton, and Highlander was at least 35 minutes, I figured I get easily get there first rather than hang arond any longer in Lawrence.

So I pulled up outside the Caltex station which is the northern most of three big ones there, and saw Andrew and Grub from the west coast already there. There were another couple of bikes at the pumps, but I didn't give them much attention until Hitcher and Mrs Hitcher came striding out. I must admit I do like the colour of Mrs Hitchers Bandit, red is always quick.

Highlander arrived about 5 minutes after Hitcher and Mrs H left. While he was filling up Noel and Barb from Chatto Creek club cruised past on his new (well 4 week old) BMW KT1200. This will be a great way to run it in. :2thumbsup

Highlander took the lead for the stretch back up through Central. A good pace and almost legal speeds all the way (100 - 110). Traffic was light, and the day was HOT. Another entrant joined us at Clyde on an Aprilla Mille. He had taken the alternative route through Middlemarch so made very good time.

Going through the Cromwell Gorge two camper vans did their best to take out Highlander, and one of them had two attempts. We were in close staggered formation as we came up behind a camper van which was following a car. As we hit a nice long straight Highlander pulled out to pass, and I held back a fraction to allow him some room, but moved to the right ready to go as soon as Highlander was infront of the van. However as Highlander was about even with the driver's door, the camper van swung right with no warning. I hit my horn, Highlander braked and moved hard to the right hand edge of the road while hitting his own horn. The driver of the van moved back to left for a fraction of a second then had another go at Highlander. Fortunately H was composed enough to match the van's swerve and give the driver a friendly V sign right against the drivers window as he continued with his passing manouver. The camper van pulled back to the left and gave me plenty of room, so it was obviously Highlander the driver was out to get.

Five kms down the road we came up to 3 camper vans travelling in convoy with a car between each. We each passed the first one and the car, then as Highlander started to pass the second one, it was a repeat performance of what happened a few minutes earlier. This time we were more prepared, and with the noise of two horns the driver pulled back to the left and stayed there.

We stopped at Cromwell and the other two collected their flags, then on the road again. I took the lead this time, and almost as soon as we turned onto the Wanaka road my radar detector sounded. The cop looked disapointed as we passed him at exactly 100 kmh. On towards Wanaka, and passing the airfield at Luggate we could preparations for Warbirds well under way. A ggod line up of WWll aircraft in the warbirds parking area, but nothing happening in the air.

We turned right to Hawea and stopped for fuel, then onto one of my favourite roads, Hawea-neck-Makarora. A couple of other bikes caught up with us and matched our pace until about 10kms short of Makarora when one of then passed me and the two cars I was following on a piece of road I would never pass on. It is a deceiving piece where it looks like a bit of a bend followed by a straight, but is actually 3 blind bends in a road. Oh well, I just let him go.

We stopped at Makarora West for a drink and a bite to eat. Here I wished Highlander a good trip, and I sadly turned around and headed home.

For me it was only 580kms in total, but the Mini Returns riders will have put in 900+ kms by the end of the day. They are probably just arriving in Greymouth about now. For me though it is a highlight as it is the longest ride I've done since my accident last year, and I am getting more and more confident with one (and a half) armed riding. :D

shafty
19th March 2008, 19:52
Good write up Jantar - cheers !!

Highlander
20th March 2008, 19:38
*@#$* camper vans. Darn near stuck my hand in that MORONS window when I told him to order us a couple of drinks at the next stop.
Fantastic day, has been a good run so far (apart from the bit above).
Have done just on 3000Km since leaving home Sunday morning, 1/3 of that was yesterday. Bit of drizzle from Haast to Greymouth and again this morning on the Coast side of Arthurs Pass. Not a cloud in the sky on the Eastern side though. Even got a touch of sunburn, not sure if it was through my visor or when I stopped for lunch today in the sun at Greta Valley.

Good to see you Jantar, not much of a catch up but always good to ride with friends.

More later, maybe even some photos.

banditrider
21st March 2008, 06:10
*@#$* camper vans. Darn near stuck my hand in that MORONS window when I told him to order us a couple of drinks at the next stop.
Fantastic day, has been a good run so far (apart from the bit above).
Have done just on 3000Km since leaving home Sunday morning, 1/3 of that was yesterday. Bit of drizzle from Haast to Greymouth and again this morning on the Coast side of Arthurs Pass. Not a cloud in the sky on the Eastern side though. Even got a touch of sunburn, not sur if it was through my visor or when I stopped for klunch today in the sun at Greta Valley.

Good to see you Jantar, not much of a catch up but always good to ride with friends.

More later, maybe even some photos.

Watch them campers dude! After the big 1st day we had plenty of time on day 2 to do the Arthurs Pass, Christchurch CP and then onto our ferry for a 6pm check in. Really took our time and stopped at the slightest excuse to muck around and eat up time. Really showed with the Connie getting an average of 18.2km/l for day 2.

Home in Palmy by 00:30 and into my own wee bed by 00:40. Up early again this morning (habit now I think). Day off today.

See you all at 07:00 in Wangavegas!

chanceyy
21st March 2008, 06:20
looking forward to seeing some of the pics Andrew .. :) some good posts and damn highlander those campervans huh :eek: :shit:

banditrider
21st March 2008, 06:32
A few pics from the start. Plenty more when she's all over.

The ride so far: http://banditrider.blogspot.com/2008/03/southern-bit.html

Lee Rusty
24th March 2008, 13:59
to all who rode in the Mini Returns. Good to see all who started, finished.
You should all be home again to day or tomorrow.,

Good stuff, nothing better than having every rider finish safely
you are the best riders NZ has to offer, and you make it all fun to do.

Next RNMC event is the Grand Challenge in October and then the 10th Southern Cross Road Rally in March 09

Entries are open for both - dont put it off have a go.

A friend of mine who got a non m/c injury that has stopped him riding said to me the other day "You just have to do these things when they come up because you never know when your last day of riding will be. " Aint that the truth.

And dont forget to start planning for the 10,000km 10 day ride in 2010.

RideSafe

Lee Rusty

banditrider
25th March 2008, 18:50
Got back to Palmy about 4:15 today. Cut short our North Island tour a little due Napier-Wairoa road closed by an accident.

Picked up a puncture in my rear somewhere South of Dargaville and got it fixed in Tauranga. only rain in the whole ride was that little bit of drizzle on the West Coast last wednesday. Good planning I say!

Roll on the GC!

Highlander
26th March 2008, 08:58
Truely fantastic trip.
The boys tagging along in the mini (for the north island bit) had a ball and really felt the riders made them feel apart of it - even though they were on 4 wheels. New starter motor fitted Monday so doesn't need push starting (for now).

Good to meet some of you guys and get real names / faces to the log ins.

Tour report comming once I catch up on a few jobs at home and have time to sort myself out a bit.

edit: just realised this time last week it was all on, now it is all over.

KoroJ
26th March 2008, 17:01
.......... Cut short our North Island tour a little due Napier-Wairoa road closed by an accident..........

Roll on the GC!

I didn't cause it!!!........at least, I don't think I did!!

banditrider
26th March 2008, 17:07
I didn't cause it!!!........at least, I don't think I did!!

Just starting to upload Mark & my photos. Bit of a slow process (176 in all). Link is http://picasaweb.google.com/andrew.l.thomson/TheMiniSReturn

Gonna do something for the website at some stage...

chanceyy
26th March 2008, 17:14
Just starting to upload Mark & my photos. Bit of a slow process (176 in all). Link is http://picasaweb.google.com/andrew.l.thomson/TheMiniSReturn

Gonna do something for the website at some stage...

Awesome pics there Andrew .. tons of blue sky = awesome weather sounds like a great trip for sure ... one day huh :whistle:

purplearchitect
27th March 2008, 19:40
Was indeed a fantastic run! We returned home on Monday, and the cops were everywhere on the Auckland/Waikato motorway and along the Napier Taupo Road - bastards.... Took some neat back roads from Ohinewai down to Matamata to avoid towns, traffic and yet more cops.

I can vouch for the blue skies - they were everywhere! In the entire 2 weeks that we were away we never put the wets on once!! The drizzle we copt coming out of Haast just wasn't worth worrying about.

The green machines were reliable as ever. Great to put faces to names. Catch you on the road.

Hitcher
29th March 2008, 12:41
Woo hoo! What a blast the Mini was. Hitchers now home and online once more.

I suppose words and pictures will appear in due course.

The Rustys sure know how to organise a good gig, and TMR was no exception.

KoroJ
29th March 2008, 13:33

So where you been Mr H? Did you forget something in Invercargill and go back for it??

Hitcher
29th March 2008, 13:37
A selection of suitably salacious snaps now appears in my puckcha gallery...

Words must surely follow!

banditrider
29th March 2008, 14:41

Did we see you just north of Dargaville on the 23?

Hitcher
29th March 2008, 15:04
Did we see you just north of Dargaville on the 23?

That would have been us. Two up on the FJR heading for the Kai Iwi lakes. We took the Murrays Road route from Kaikohe to Dargaville.

banditrider
29th March 2008, 15:08
That would have been us. Two up on the FJR heading for the Kai Iwi lakes. We took the Murrays Road route from Kaikohe to Dargaville.

Good thing we waved then...

Also, we ran into a younger dude on his yellow Hyosung just south of the Cape who knew ya. He had brekkie with us after he'd aborted his trip to the Cape due to the nasty road works. They were nasty too but we had to get out there seeing we were there...

Saw him again parked up on the side of the road on the Coro loop too. Didn't stop as my rear tyre was slowly going down and I had to get to the next compressor...

Hitcher
29th March 2008, 15:11
Also, we ran into a younger dude on his yellow Hyosung just south of the Cape who knew ya.

That would be Weaver. He dragged Mrs H and I from our "slumbers" at some ungodly hour in Kaitaia. I think I dragged some clothes on before I opened the motel door...

banditrider
29th March 2008, 15:14
That would be Weaver. He dragged Mrs H and I from our "slumbers" at some ungodly hour in Kaitaia. I think I dragged some clothes on before I opened the motel door...

He still had his appetite so you must have...

banditrider
29th March 2008, 20:21
Linky to my write-up: http://andrew.l.thomson.googlepages.com/themini'sreturn

Wade through it if you dare...

KoroJ
29th March 2008, 21:59
Linky to my write-up: http://andrew.l.thomson.googlepages.com/themini'sreturn

Wade through it if you dare...

Good one Andrew! It took me awhile because I kept drifting off into daydreams of neverending windy roads under generally blue skies. I could another pass or gorge after that!

banditrider
31st March 2008, 19:32
Anyone fill up at Haast?

What was the most ya paid for gas?

We stopped at Franz and it was $1.979/l for 91.

Hitcher
31st March 2008, 21:45
Anyone fill up at Haast?

177.9 seemed to be the norm for 91 at most places. From memory it was about 184.9 at Fox...

Jantar
31st March 2008, 22:08
Anyone fill up at Haast?

Without being able to quote the latest prices, the last reasonable priced fuel is at Hawea. Makorora is the dearest, fox a bit cheaper, then Franz are back up to close to the Haast price. Ross isn't too bad, then Hokitika is starting to get reasonable again.

Highlander
1st April 2008, 07:50
$2.01 for 95 at Fox, most expensive fuel (per litre) of the trip for me.

banditrider
1st April 2008, 18:36
$2.01 for 95 at Fox, most expensive fuel (per litre) of the trip for me.

Youch - but we'll probably be paying that everywhere come Southern X time!