PDA

View Full Version : It ain't "just a forum".

Fatjim
1st June 2007, 16:10
KB ain't "just a forum". I've met lots of mate here, and lost some as well.

The turnouts at the funerals last December attest to the fact that KB is something special in the internet wilderness.

The parties and beers shared together are some of the most enjoyable times in my recent memory.

The KB'res I've met from other places are people I would never have met any other way, but I know I can count on them, and they me, if we get stuck by the side of the road.

So before you say, "it's just a forum", ask yourself, how many people do I count as friends because of KB.

This is why KB's modding needs are different. We are, for want of a better term, a family. But with the widest possible group of views imaginable.

I feel, some of the modding lately, has taken away from some of the most enjoyable facets of KB, that is, taking the piss and friendly ridicule. Sure, there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, but they seem, like the limbo stick to be getting harder and harder to get under.

The soul of many a thread seems to have been ripped out, and trampled under the constant editing, (a more hysterical person might call this censorship. I just call it a shame).

I'm sorry this isn't as eloquent, or coherent as other posts. I don't have a university degree, and I'm not particularly smart. Does this make my opinion any less valid? I'm starting to think so.

Odd's on this thread not making pointless drivel?

$2.20

Hitcher
1st June 2007, 16:13
The amount of material consigned to Pointless Drivel has, over the past few weeks, declined significantly compared to the months that preceded. But what the heck would I know?

Fatjim
1st June 2007, 16:23
Hitcher, at what point did you stop reading my post and go in defensive mode.

You're no better than the politicians that voted in the anti smacking law when polls indicated 80% of NZ didn't want the law. (I'm not saying 80% agree with me, just that you seem to be ignoring the views of a reasonable amount of people).

If the mods don't want feed back and opinions you know what they say. "you're free to F@#k off and go somewhere else." (A sentiment I'm not a fan off).

Odds now $1.70

Joni
1st June 2007, 16:26
Ah so this is another Mod bashing thread? Or turning to one fast?

I agree what you are saying re the site, having fun and all of that... but I also see a Mod trying to show that we are trying to accomodate people, and look at things in the spirit they were written.... rather than just moving them.

KB is a great place... if that was your point, I agree whole heartedly! :yes:

Hitcher
1st June 2007, 16:32
I like this thread. I'm now owed $5.10.

skelstar
1st June 2007, 16:32
Ah so this is another Mod bashing thread? Or turning to one fast?
I think FJ1200 is refering to that fact that Hitcher didn't address what FJ's post was about and was clearly not going concede on any of the points FJ made.

I don't see any part of FJ's thread as mod bashing. I'd say it was positive feedback.

This post isn't mod bashing either.

Joni
1st June 2007, 16:33
I like this thread. I'm now owed $5.10.Can I have $10.20 please :yes:

Fatjim
1st June 2007, 16:33
Actually darling it was a defense of KB, and the special place it holds in many bookmark lists and firefox tabs.

How could I attack mods in general with someone as lovely (according to cowpoos) as you counted within the ranks.

yungatart
1st June 2007, 16:46
How could I attack mods in general with someone as lovely (according to cowpoos) as you counted within the ranks.

You can't trust Cowpoos...he thinks I'm lovely too!

Riff Raff
1st June 2007, 16:51
And me. And I'm a mod as well.

avgas
1st June 2007, 16:58
FECK OFF all of ya (and go for a ride)
If i wanted to read about prettyboy politics, i'd read the herald.
If the mods do stuff that dont affect me, im fine.
This isnt a mod thing, this is a personallity thing. When personalities clash - its up to both parties.....to sit down, shut the fuck up, and move on to something new.
Time is too short to have a fricken chip on your shoulder about someone you chatted to online.
Honestly, the whining on here makes me feel like listening (or even conversing with) to the misses.
I'm sorry if i have hurt someone's feelings here - but when you thing about, it was probably something you were thinking yaself anywho.
Who here likes drinking?

xwhatsit
1st June 2007, 16:59
I agree with the first half, at least. My mother's side of the family are heavily involved in the Methodist Church (hell, my grandfather is a retired minister). They have had this whole community around them all their lives; people to ask advice from, people to ask for help, people to celebrate house warmings and holidays with and have BBQs. Now I don't have that, because I didn't go to church in the 60s and 70s, or at all; yet I've got a chunk of those things here, on KB. So many wise (and not so wise) people to ask for advice -- and not just about bikes. Look at Beyond and how he got his new job.

So when Ixion and Motu pissed off and somebody said `oh well guys it's just a forum, they'll be forgotten, just text on a computer screen' I didn't see it like that. That was losing people from a community, `it ain't just a forum' as the thread says.

As for the last half, gah, mod-bashing is the new meme I see. Who cares? I'm no advocate of psycho-Stalin-forums, but I think some abuse does go too far and needs to be dealt with. As for moving stuff into PD, this is confusing to me; if the type of threads you enjoy are in PD, who cares? Just go into PD and carry on like normal. The rest of us who don't really care so much for PD-type threads, we can filter those out. Easy.

Morcs
1st June 2007, 17:03
FECK OFF all of ya (and go for a ride)
If i wanted to read about prettyboy politics, i'd read the herald.
If the mods do stuff that dont affect me, im fine.
This isnt a mod thing, this is a personallity thing. When personalities clash - its up to both parties.....to sit down, shut the fuck up, and move on to something new.
Time is too short to have a fricken chip on your shoulder about someone you chatted to online.
Honestly, the whining on here makes me feel like listening (or even conversing with) to the misses.
I'm sorry if i have hurt someone's feelings here - but when you thing about, it was probably something you were thinking yaself anywho.
Who here likes drinking?

Totally agree. And it reflects my post in the other thread but in more detail.

Bling sent.

I think this thread was provoked by one of my posts, starting with... its just a forum ffs...

Ive met a lot of people on this forum, but ive always tried to breakaway from being a forum whore, i would rather be out riding or whatever with kbers than having conversations with them in threads. So yes, it is just a forum, the real world is outside, and thats where I live.

Maha
1st June 2007, 17:15
sit down, shut the fuck up, and move on to something new.I'm sorry if i have hurt someone's feelings here

Some of threads over the last couple of days are the type that get talk about, chewed over and laughed about at KB party's. heres how it goes, Member A '' did ya see that thread that ( XYZ ) started''?...Member 'B' '' yeah what a tosser, what the fucks all that about''?...Personally you wont see me posting in Mod bashing/Goodbye/Biker Down threads...no point..im here for so many different reasons and Avgas? Dont apologise mate, you have made me post in a 'Crock' thread but my feelings are not hurt just rejuvenated...:yes:

imdying
1st June 2007, 17:22
Defensive mode? Hell I stopped reading it because it was boring drivel that would've been better off left in your head. The forum changed because we were sold out, and you can't blame the senior moderators for that... we should probably be thankful that they decided to stick around.

HDTboy
1st June 2007, 17:28
I'm with Fatjim and Skelator

Fatjim
1st June 2007, 17:42
Ive met a lot of people on this forum, but ive always tried to breakaway from being a forum whore, i would rather be out riding or whatever with kbers than having conversations with them in threads. So yes, it is just a forum, the real world is outside, and thats where I live.

I would rather be out riding too, and I'm no whore. But to say KB is "Just a forum" is plain wrong to many here. It's an indisputable fact, I just wanted for people not to forget what they have here.

Fatjim
1st June 2007, 17:46
I like this thread. I'm now owed $5.10.

I'm still trying to figure out the outlay to get a $5.10 return on $1.70 odds. :confused:

Morcs
1st June 2007, 17:49
I'm still trying to figure out the outlay to get a $5.10 return on $1.70 odds. :confused:

Ah. But what are the odds of Hitcher being wrong? :hitcher:

Crisis management
1st June 2007, 17:54

He's a mod for fucks sake, he infracted the $1.70, sin binned it twice, made it give him a blow job and now you owe your wellingtonian mate $5.10. Simple really.

Fatjim, I'm with you on this, this means more than text on a screen....but, I am not into mod bashing and, unfortunately for them, they are perceived as having some controlling power here.

My $5.10 worth is.....can we just drop all this shit and all start putting effort into posts other than the state of the universe (at least not the KB universe).

MSTRS
1st June 2007, 17:56
I'm with FJ on this one. At least where the more active members are concerned (with apologies to those who aint 'getting any').
This is my take on the state of things....
KB is a family, rather than a forum per se. Like all families, there are spats and recriminations, along with all the good stuff. Now, all families have a parent or two, and it is the style of parenting that determines how well the family operates. Unfortunately, there isn't really an alternative family readily available, except for Quasi's site which caters to a more specific market, so individual KBers need to decide whether to accept the parenting or pack their bags. If a parent's decision is unfair, it can be challenged, because nobody is exempt from the 'rules'. For the most part, there is little to REALLY bitch about how things work in this family.
So chill, participate and enjoy family life.

Colapop
1st June 2007, 18:25
We live in our lives outside of rthis forum, this community. In the 'real' world there are very very few people that I trust - 2 in fact. That's trust absolutely. There is no sense of community, there is no brother or sisterhood, there's not even a neighbourhood. I grew up in a neighbourhood, to wax philosophical for a moment, and it was great. We roamed, we fought, we learned, we had fun, we even got it on together (when we got older.) How many of uys have that now? How many of us are friends with our neighbours or care who they are? We were, and still friends with them now though separated by oceans.

That is what KB is to me. Family, community, kinship, friendship.

I know I'm a clown a lot of the time. It's easier to be flippant than to get wrapped up in 'serious' issues. But if I took all that is serious and worried about it or tried to change it, I'd become cynical and not care anymore. And I like to care. I like to help people and not worry about whether I'm going to get anything for it. I like to know that I can make a call to someone when I'm fucked on the side of the road and someone will come (or ask if I'd like them naked in the shower - thanks for that AJ!!).

No I'm not a KB addict (as some would say) - I just like it here. Thanks Jim.

Hitcher
1st June 2007, 18:38
I'm still trying to figure out the outlay to get a $5.10 return on $1.70 odds.

I was just totaling all of your recently posted odds as to whether or not your threads/posts would end up in PD. None so far, that's $5.10 for the Mods' Christmas barbecue, thanks!

Paul in NZ
1st June 2007, 18:42
Well - its something special all right and thus worth protecting. Sorry - some people are very good at projecting negative energy and were actually pretty destructive!

I have no problems... Well apart of the obvious ones you all know about and that thing with the midget was never proved OK...

SPman
1st June 2007, 19:29
I'm still trying to figure out the outlay to get a $5.10 return on $1.70 odds. :confused: 3 to 1?....

James Deuce
1st June 2007, 22:39
"It isn't just a forum"

Yes. Been trying to say that for a while.

The current process of change has largely been caused by people who insisted long and loud that it IS just a forum and anyone who takes anything seriously on the Internet is in need of some form of counseling involving never using the internet again and getting a life.

Cause and effect.

From an intellectual perspective the furore on KB over the last few months is incredibly fascinating. But who can distance themselves far enough from their mates to be able study and analyse things that have caused, and still are causing, a level of anguish and annoyance like we've seen lately?

Kendog
1st June 2007, 23:03
I agree Fatjim, this place is a community of like minded individuals. I have met many great people I would almost certainly never have met without KB. I have also had great conversations with others I have not yet met (but hope to one day)

To those that don't see this forum as something special, you are missing out for some reason. What that reason is I am not sure, but negativity about the site/mods/red rep/peoples posts can't be helping.

Paul in NZ
1st June 2007, 23:08
ah crap - I'm pissed at the end of a long day of death and dispair...

For fucks sake, don't people get this place, at last it the chance of the reasnable (dont try to spell after a whole bottle of brandy) to triumph over the tyranny of the bastards.... Grab the brass ring people - now is your time...

Paul N

ps - if you don't get this - you aint drunk like me nor been a real biker long enough nor been to enough 'rallies'

Drew
1st June 2007, 23:08
I agree Fatjim, this place is a community of like minded individuals. I have met many great people I would almost certainly never have met without KB. I have also had great conversations with others I have not yet met (but hope to one day)

To dispell this as a good thing, didn't you meet Fatjim through this site? I mean shit, that's gotta nearly put you off the internet altogether!

But seriously...ummmm...cant think of anything serious:rockon:

Qkkid
1st June 2007, 23:15
We live in our lives outside of rthis forum, this community. In the 'real' world there are very very few people that I trust - 2 in fact. That's trust absolutely. There is no sense of community, there is no brother or sisterhood, there's not even a neighbourhood. I grew up in a neighbourhood, to wax philosophical for a moment, and it was great. We roamed, we fought, we learned, we had fun, we even got it on together (when we got older.) How many of uys have that now? How many of us are friends with our neighbours or care who they are? We were, and still friends with them now though separated by oceans.

That is what KB is to me. Family, community, kinship, friendship.

I know I'm a clown a lot of the time. It's easier to be flippant than to get wrapped up in 'serious' issues. But if I took all that is serious and worried about it or tried to change it, I'd become cynical and not care anymore. And I like to care. I like to help people and not worry about whether I'm going to get anything for it. I like to know that I can make a call to someone when I'm fucked on the side of the road and someone will come (or ask if I'd like them naked in the shower - thanks for that AJ!!).

No I'm not a KB addict (as some would say) - I just like it here. Thanks Jim.

YES I KNOW:yes: YOU LIKE TO HELP PEOPLE GET INTO WOMENS UNDIES :shit:

Kendog
2nd June 2007, 09:03
To dispell this as a good thing, didn't you meet Fatjim through this site? I mean shit, that's gotta nearly put you off the internet altogether!

But seriously...ummmm...cant think of anything serious:rockon:

Meeting you made up for it <_<

Lissa
2nd June 2007, 09:11
I agree with you Fatjim, and col and Jim2 and mstrs and Paul and umm kendoggy etc etc. And meeting Fatjim hasnt put me off KB at all.... just going to any New Years Parties with him... :shit: Hows the knee James?

sAsLEX
2nd June 2007, 09:23
Odd's on this thread not making pointless drivel?

$2.20

been away for over a week come back to 100000000 posts or something and everyone either leaving or talking about the over modding....

avgas
2nd June 2007, 12:33
This IS a community.
But in todays day and age, spouting shit is NOT HERESY! I'm not mod bashing, nor am i bashing those who feel the whole "Us and Them". I'm am bashing those who have not moved on and tried to deal with what is left in front of them.
I'm mean come on boys and girls, we are bikers - when hitting a tight right hander, do we chop it down a gear, drop our centre of gravity, lean the bike stare passed the corner and open up the throttle.
Or do we do the typical L plater thing - Stare at that corner until we fly off it?
All the people who have left, were valuable members, and it saddens me to know that they feel they had to - but alas, no stomping my feet, screaming at the top of my lungs or pointing fingers is going to bring them back.
It is their choice alone to make.
Look after what you have got, rather than moan about what you don't have. Otherwise the world is a dark, miserable place.

Fatjim
2nd June 2007, 18:46
Hey, Avgas, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. This ain't no thread about the recently departed. It was statement of an opinion about what this site means to people, and some feedback to the mods based upon that. Thats all.

PS, why are you here and not out riding your bike, as you so eloquently proclaimed.

Steam
2nd June 2007, 18:53
I am embarrassed to say this site is way more than a site to me. I haven't met many people from it in real life but it's a big part of my life.
I plan my weekends around rides and other KB or motorcycling events, everything I know about bikes and riding has come from KB and KBers, and I spend quite a while every day afer work typing and laughing and joking and making fun of twits, etc.
It's one of the good things about my life, and I get quite upset when people flame me, etc. I take it all too seriously.
KB is cool.

jonbuoy
2nd June 2007, 19:27
A lot of kiwibiker has/is about personalities/people and less about bikes. There are very few biker sites on the net as active as kiwibiker -but a lot of it is irrelevant.

I think the piss taking with people who knew each other well enough is fine - starting on people you barely know is a bit much as is making personal attacks - strange thing is that this a very "un kiwi" thing to do anyway. You wouldn't start poking the borax at someone you've never met in a pub (not without expecting a slap) so why do it online?

Can't say I blame Spankme for wanting to cut out the countless you tube/random video/bulk emails that he has to store on equipment he paid for and continue to pay for upgrades to storage space.

Lissa
2nd June 2007, 19:34
... everything I know about bikes and riding has come from KB and KBers...Me too! I have so much advice, help with my bike and riding and 100% of it comes from KB in one form or another... :yes:

James Deuce
2nd June 2007, 21:02
I think the piss taking with people who knew each other well enough is fine - starting on people you barely know is a bit much as is making personal attacks - strange thing is that this a very "un kiwi" thing to do anyway. You wouldn't start poking the borax at someone you've never met in a pub (not without expecting a slap) so why do it online?

BINGO!

But it doesn't matter how many times you say it or point it out, some people just keep doing it and then shout at the people who ask them to stop please.

98tls
2nd June 2007, 21:19
As one who in the great scheme of things hasnt been around long.....and who i must admit has let his emotions run away etc etc.......sorry to those involved :innocent:Ive found KB to be rather unique......ive spent a few years on a pretty much american based bike forum but with many members....hundreds in fact from all over the world....devoted primarily to TLS/TLR motorcycles,great bunch and some extremely talented members.....one or two are members of this forum........when i was pointed to this place i had a look and at first thought what a load of shit..........didnt bother for awhile and then had a second look........awhile later its become an addiction..........as someone who enjoys tinkering/modding a slightly older bike ive had many pms/phone calls with guys offering advice/asking questions etc........ive given bits and bobs away......hell ive even sent my yosh fuel injection adjuster away to a couple of blokes......and it came back which kind of restores your faith in mankind,its got a real Kiwi flavour and yea it aint just a forum.......its our forum.:Punk:

Joni
2nd June 2007, 23:10
strange thing is that this a very "un kiwi" thing to do anyway.Sad thing for me is, what I know of NZ, I know through this place... I only hope you are right, only time will tell for me.

McJim
2nd June 2007, 23:45
This is Just a Forum - however, it's what we as people and a community choose to do with that forum is that makes the difference.

I use this forum to meet people (not in a sordid way though).

I use this forum to help people.

I use this forum to put people in touch with other people who will be able to help them with their riding.

I use this forum to encourage others to see the best in others.

But most of all I spend most of my time on this forum trying to make others smile.

This is just a forum - but we are a diverse and wonderful group of people.

James Deuce
2nd June 2007, 23:49
McJim you're wrong. If you can't see why then that's your loss.

McJim
2nd June 2007, 23:52
Jim2 - if you can't even see when someone's supporting you then that's YOUR loss.

Read it again.

Chur

Colapop
2nd June 2007, 23:54
my eyes are too crossed to read roight now'

Lissa
2nd June 2007, 23:59
my eyes are too crossed to read roight now'
Its ok Col... go to bed!!

I use this forum to meet people (not in a sordid way though).

I use this forum to help people.

I use this forum to put people in touch with other people who will be able to help them with their riding.

I use this forum to encourage others to see the best in others.

But most of all I spend most of my time on this forum trying to make others smile.

This is just a forum - but we are a diverse and wonderful group of people.Me too.. well most of it.

Colapop
3rd June 2007, 00:00
But I wanna another bere

White trash
3rd June 2007, 08:19
Five years ago I never would have thought that through one "bike" forum, I would meet the woman I'll spend the rest of my life with, meet people I now consider my best friends, get a sponsored race package, and perhaps a shot at racing the IOM, a lifelong dream.

It's "just" a forum but it means alot.

Grahameeboy
3rd June 2007, 08:26
Five years ago I never would have thought that through one "bike" forum, I would meet the woman I'll spend the rest of my life with, meet people I now consider my best friends, get a sponsored race package, and perhaps a shot at racing the IOM, a lifelong dream.

It's "just" a forum but it means alot.

I think you have said it in one WT.......

James Deuce
3rd June 2007, 09:09
Jim2 - if you can't even see when someone's supporting you then that's YOUR loss.

Read it again.

Chur

Eh why do I need support? I've lost weight and stopped drinking!

But it isn't just a forum. KB transcended the boundaries of "forum" by being more about maintaining relationships with the meat-space analogue rather than the virtual avatar and handle.

It sounds like a subtle distinction, but it is the first "forum" in 20 years of me using usenet, BBS's, newsgroups, technical forums and knowledge bases where the primary function of the forum is to organise a physical activity and maintain bonds of friendship on the basis of an actual physical activity.

Fatjim
3rd June 2007, 09:45
Ladies ladies, calm down.

(Anybody spot the irony sp?)

MSTRS
3rd June 2007, 10:02
It sounds like a subtle distinction, but it is the first "forum" in 20 years of me using usenet, BBS's, newsgroups, technical forums and knowledge bases where the primary function of the forum is to organise a physical activity and maintain bonds of friendship on the basis an actual physical activity.

Tis true. KB allows all members to participate in any way they like. That is it's uniqueness.

Colapop
3rd June 2007, 10:04
I'm unique - just like all you guys!!

yungatart
3rd June 2007, 11:46
I'm unique

Thank the Good Lord for that, can you imagine a world with more than one Colapop!!!..shudder...

BTW - are you still wearing my knickers Col? (I think the tightness of them has affected your brain?)

jazbug5
3rd June 2007, 11:58
I'm unique - just like all you guys!!

So... we're all individuals, then.

*waits, drumming fingertips upon the desk*

White trash
3rd June 2007, 12:00

You're the most individual of us all Jaz, ya little ball of scottish cuteness you.

Hitcher
3rd June 2007, 14:47

"Yes, we are all individuals!"

(I'm not)

Colapop
3rd June 2007, 15:04
No we're not - WE ARE!!

Last saw your bloomers in Norfland, YT... :bye:

Swoop
3rd June 2007, 17:30
This is Just a Forum
I have to disagree there, McJim.
I see a "forum" as a gathering of "net-nerds" who only gather in electronic form.

We are a community.

After the tragic weekend, when three of our members departed from our ranks, the emotions, greif, sorrow, support and bonding, brought us far closer as a group.

Alas, since then, we have become a different entity altogether.

jazbug5
4th June 2007, 05:01
"Yes, we are all individuals!"

(I'm not)

*Pins the Sacred Order Of Sir Monty Python upon Hitcher's chest*

jazbug5
4th June 2007, 05:06
You're the most individual of us all Jaz, ya little ball of scottish cuteness you.

Oh, blush. I miss you mad Kiwis though... (& well done on the sponsorship etc btw).

Donor
4th June 2007, 20:11
Can't help but wonder, if the Finn/Spank KB ownership prank had been for real... what would we all be saying now?

How many would be screaming hairy hab dabs about the level of anarchy that would be running rampant, bemoaning the lack of control that was ruining an online community born of camaraderie and mutual passion for motorcycling...

I need another bourbon...