PDA

View Full Version : How do you prevent fuel starvation on a nc30

moT
4th June 2007, 12:46
during fairly hard cornering and under acceleration my bike strts getting starved for fuel until i put heaps of gas on or the bike gets more upright... how do i fix this?

White trash
4th June 2007, 12:47
Raise the float level.

moT
4th June 2007, 12:52
what the hell is that?

Disco Dan
4th June 2007, 12:54
the level of the float in the carby im guessing...

moT
4th June 2007, 12:58
how much do i raise it? where is it on the carb?

Disco Dan
4th June 2007, 12:59
follow the fuel hose....

(not familiar with those bikes)

moT
4th June 2007, 13:05
know what it looks like? i got the service manual but it does not make sence

Warr
4th June 2007, 13:26
know what it looks like? i got the service manual but it does not make sence
Fuel flows into the Carb thru the needle valve. As the bowl fulls the float floats and presses against the needle valve. When the bowl is full the needle valve will be closed.

As suggested previously "Raising the float level" means somehow tweeking the relation of float-needle height to allow for the fuel to sit higher in the bowl.

Personally I think that you would need more cause than your current problem to start raising or lowering the fuel level in the carb. Changing the fuel level will alter the fuel ratio over the whole rev range and may not be amaizingly desirable.
Sure if your plugs etc are exibiting signs of running too lean then go for it.....

xwhatsit
4th June 2007, 13:34
Have you found your carbs? Alright, now pull them off :D Switch off the fuel tank tap first of course. You might be able to do it with them still on, but I doubt it, as you want to change the float level too, right?

Right on the underside of the carbs is something called the float bowl. It's basically the bottom part of the carb. Will be retained by three or four screws. It will be full of fuel, if you didn't drain the carbs first (doesn't matter, just less mess).

Now the inner workings of your carb are exposed. There will be something that looks like the plastic float thing inside the tank of your toilet (surely everybody's looked at one of those when they're a kid?). It will be the largest object inside that area of the carb so you can't miss it. To make adjustments to the float height, you bend the metal tab the float is attached to.

Pic #1: The float bowl is the whole metal part that you can see. It's like the bottom third of the carb, you can't miss it

Pic #2: The float is the white thing in this pic. In this pic the carb is upside-down, mind.

car
9th June 2007, 18:31
during fairly hard cornering and under acceleration my bike strts getting starved for fuel until i put heaps of gas on or the bike gets more upright... how do i fix this?

I might have missed something, here, but is there some reason that you've discounted the simplest cause of fuel starvation: a partial blockage between tank and carb?

Is there any crap in your tank? Does the inside of your tank look rusty or flaky? Does this still happen if the fuel tap's switched to reserve? you could just have a fuel tap full of crap.

Does the NC30 (like the NC35, as I remember) have a vacuum-operated valve that stops flow of fuel if there no vac coming from the carbs? Is the vac plumbing from your tank to the carbs in good order? Pinched? Old and perished?

moT
9th June 2007, 19:32
I might have missed something, here, but is there some reason that you've discounted the simplest cause of fuel starvation: a partial blockage between tank and carb?

Is there any crap in your tank? Does the inside of your tank look rusty or flaky? Does this still happen if the fuel tap's switched to reserve? you could just have a fuel tap full of crap.

Does the NC30 (like the NC35, as I remember) have a vacuum-operated valve that stops flow of fuel if there no vac coming from the carbs? Is the vac plumbing from your tank to the carbs in good order? Pinched? Old and perished?

cheers man my vac pipe was fucked got a new one runs sweet as now