PDA

View Full Version : Professional bike inspection services???

Boob Johnson
4th June 2007, 14:51
Whos the best to talk to in the lower North Island?

I just rang the AA but the lady at the call centre has no idea if they do bikes and of course all AA's are closed today.

Any idea's guys?

Hitcher
4th June 2007, 16:20
Try a bike shop? They generally employ people called mechanics who quite often know what they're looking at.

Nasty
4th June 2007, 16:42
Try a bike shop .. TSS, Wellington Motorcycles, Boyles Kawa ... or put out a call for help on KB if you want someone to look at a bike for you. I did that and got some great advice on a bike up north .. well worth the time (and vouchers wsaid person will enjoy)!

Boob Johnson
4th June 2007, 18:36
The bike is in Bulls, the guy thats got it imports bikes, he's a mechanic by trade & works out of a tin pot shed behind Subway.

A few things concern me, one is the guys feedback on TM (6 ned reps, all for buying shit and not going threw with the sale), so it shows hes unreliable. He also hasnt sold a single item since 2005 according to his feedback & someone mentioned he has had some of his bad feedbacks removed by trade me, so maybe this explains some things? Obviously I wont take his word on the bike being sound.

Secondly he's not a licenced dealer so I obviously dont want any problems early on as I wont be expecting to have them fixed.

The bike im looking at is a 2003 GSX 250 FX (rebadged Kwaka Balius II) with (supposedly) low miles (15,000 Km's) but the odometer is actually stuck at that, even though the speedo itself still works fine (wreeks of tampering if you ask me)....anyway....

My third issue is when I took it for a blat the rear got very woobly under power coming out of a tight corner, I got a lil scared so I had to get out of the power. Now I didnt think I put too much down to be honest & given its only a 40BHP 2 fiddy, it certainly wasnt going to be close (or even THAT close) to breaking traction that the woobles are setting in at the rear??? It has after market (or at least think they are) "Showa" shocks, so not sure if they are set incorrectly although I doubt that.

Fourth issue was it seemed to struggle to rev past 14,000, like it just wouldnt go any further (redline is 16), that seemed a little odd to me. Vehicles usually rev to or even over there stated limit, even if there is no torque left, this seemed to hit a brick wall at 14 thou???

In saying all that, the bike looked like it was brand new, very very clean and tidy, hardly a mark/scratch to be seen anywhere. He's putting a brand new rear tyre on it & servicing it + of course WOF & REG.

Im keen on the bike as long as I can have someone independant take a look at the bike, but mostly the suspension, preferrably take it for a spin to see what I mean, see if there is a problem (maybe its been dropped & fixed then got imported??) & lastly obviously have the odometer fixed. Thats the only time I would do a deal with this bike & this guy.

So yeah, if anyone experienced enough would be able to look at the bike and let me know what they thought of the above issues, I would be really appreciative.

Sanx
4th June 2007, 19:30
So, the seller's got a less than stellar reputation, odometer reeks of tampering, the suspension scared you and it wouldn't hit the redline.

Walk away. Do not touch with a bargepole. It's just not worth it.

Boob Johnson
4th June 2007, 20:35
I know some of it looks bad when I type it out like that but really when u look at it, its not THAT bad. Just need to have the eyes open. If the bike checks out alright in terms of the suspension & the revving issue then there is nothing to worry about. Hell it could of been my problem, which is certainly a possibility as im far from an experienced rider.

The biggest concern I guess is the motor not hitting redline. Is that really a problem, I mean a big deal? Is it possible its something to do with sitting around for a while? Needing an oil/filter change and a service?

jim.cox
5th June 2007, 16:48
6 ned reps

That's a lot of bad karma

Certainally enough to make avoid dealing with him

Just my $0.02

=mjc=

Boob Johnson
5th June 2007, 23:23
Yeah I hear ya :dodge: