PDA

View Full Version : 550km/h on the road

degrom
6th June 2007, 15:52
Crazy Swiss firm Acabion is making huge claims about its wild-looking GTBO - like that it will be limited to 550km/h for road use.

But theoretically, the low-drag, lightweight machine will be capable of much higher speeds than that - but tyres haven't yet been invented that can cope with those unbelievable speeds.

Read more... (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/9/story.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10443943&ref=rss)

marty
6th June 2007, 16:09
bollox. drag cars and salt flat cars regularly exceed 300mph (480km/h) and you don't see their tyres shredding.

550km/h will take a bit more aerodynamic work than they have done atm. it will produce a huge amount of lift at that speed in its current shape. think what a F1/drag car looks like - they look like that for a reason! planes look like they do for a reason too....

yod
6th June 2007, 16:10
have you seen my profile pic?? 1986 vfr400r nc21 and a garmin eterx gps unit and i wasn't even trying....

i can take him....:laugh:

onearmedbandit
6th June 2007, 16:21
like that it will be limited to 550km/h for road use.

That bit cracks me up the most!! Why the fuck limit it to 550km/h? There is like a handfull of places in the world with open speed limits, and even those are on the decrease. Still, I'd buy one :lol: .

MisterD
6th June 2007, 16:27
bollox. drag cars and salt flat cars regularly exceed 300mph (480km/h) and you don't see their tyres shredding.

The issue is the length of time the tyres have to sustain that speed, and the heat buildup that goes along with it...drag cars are only at those speeds for a few seconds, not a few kilometers

marty
6th June 2007, 16:30
i think the issue is that at 550km/h, that thing won't even be touching the ground! tyre rotation speed won't be an issue.

who saw the indy car wing break off in the latest indy round? how long did it take that car to lose control?

Macktheknife
6th June 2007, 16:36
Where are the wings?

imdying
6th June 2007, 16:36
bollox. drag cars and salt flat cars regularly exceed 300mph (480km/h) and you don't see their tyres shredding.Those are DOT tyres for the road that can handle the associated stresses that come along with the road?

MisterD
6th June 2007, 16:42
i think the issue is that at 550km/h, that thing won't even be touching the ground! tyre rotation speed won't be an issue.

who saw the indy car wing break off in the latest indy round? how long did it take that car to lose control?

Where does sufficient fuel fit to power the thing at decent speeds for any time? How long does a Veyron's tank last at full chat, it's single figures minutes isn't it?

degrom
6th June 2007, 16:49
more details... LOL (http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/archive/acabion_gtbo.html)

xwhatsit
6th June 2007, 16:51
Where does sufficient fuel fit to power the thing at decent speeds for any time? How long does a Veyron's tank last at full chat, it's single figures minutes isn't it?

Why would it use any more fuel? It's not like the engine's spinning that much faster at 550kph, there's things called gears. It's running a turbocharged Suzuki GSX motor apparently, so it's not like it's some 15 litre truck engine.

Laava
6th June 2007, 17:11
It looks like something out of some dreary 1960's sci-fi show. Facts and figures, big deal. It's totally impractical, but probably fun to drive. So can be a CT90.

MisterD
6th June 2007, 17:27
Why would it use any more fuel? It's not like the engine's spinning that much faster at 550kph, there's things called gears. It's running a turbocharged Suzuki GSX motor apparently, so it's not like it's some 15 litre truck engine.

Air resistance. As Marty said, to keep the thing on the floor, you're going to need some aerodynamic help which means drag. The amount of power you're going to need to do this will not be fuel efficient.

Indiana_Jones
6th June 2007, 17:34
think what a F1/drag car looks like - they look like that for a reason!

True, see that Indy car? when it's rear fin collapsed and it went into a flat spin, scary lol :shutup:

-Indy

The Pastor
6th June 2007, 19:28
Get your knee down at 550km/hr.....

Oakie
6th June 2007, 20:51
- like that it will be limited to 550km/h for road use.
'Bout time they bought in reasonable limits for L Plate riders.

kiwifruit
6th June 2007, 20:58
550?
pfft
the ten will do that in third

marty
6th June 2007, 21:03
Where are the wings?

doesn't need them at that speed. there's enough lift off the body, not to mention ground effect

xwhatsit
6th June 2007, 21:58
Air resistance. As Marty said, to keep the thing on the floor, you're going to need some aerodynamic help which means drag. The amount of power you're going to need to do this will not be fuel efficient.

Well the engine can only go as hard as it can go, air resistance or none.

In other words, the engine's going to use as much fuel as a turbocharged Suzuki GSX motor does at full throttle -- not quite as economical as my CB250Arse, but it's not exactly going to chug down fuel like it's a hydrocarbon black hole or anything.

peasea
6th June 2007, 23:50
Crazy Swiss firm Acabion is making huge claims about its wild-looking GTBO - like that it will be limited to 550km/h for road use.

But theoretically, the low-drag, lightweight machine will be capable of much higher speeds than that - but tyres haven't yet been invented that can cope with those unbelievable speeds.

Read more... (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/9/story.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10443943&ref=rss)

Ever seen the Thrust SST car? Now THAT was impressive. Tyres? No, However, at the moment Top Fuel dragsters are running 330+ in the quarter, sure, but they did have some tyre shredding issue a couple of years back. Salt tyres and drag tyres are different beasts, as I'm sure you know, but in real terms (and I'm talking about tyres that can cope) 550kph is fuck all. That's only 340mph or so.

Check the Bonneville Salt Flat site, have a nosey at what's going on.

Things like this..............

http://www.saltflats.com/video/Burkland.wmv

Put plates and a WOF on that!

bugjuice
7th June 2007, 00:29
Where are the wings?
they're the bits that fold round the panties and keep it in place.. you don't see them..

ahhhhhhhh...... panties.......

degrom
7th June 2007, 09:19
Ever seen the Thrust SST car? Now THAT was impressive. Tyres? No, However, at the moment Top Fuel dragsters are running 330+ in the quarter, sure, but they did have some tyre shredding issue a couple of years back. Salt tyres and drag tyres are different beasts, as I'm sure you know, but in real terms (and I'm talking about tyres that can cope) 550kph is fuck all. That's only 340mph or so.

Check the Bonneville Salt Flat site, have a nosey at what's going on.

Things like this..............

http://www.saltflats.com/video/Burkland.wmv

Put plates and a WOF on that!

Know of any KB'ers going to Bonneville?

marty
7th June 2007, 10:07
Well the engine can only go as hard as it can go, air resistance or none.

In other words, the engine's going to use as much fuel as a turbocharged Suzuki GSX motor does at full throttle -- not quite as economical as my CB250Arse, but it's not exactly going to chug down fuel like it's a hydrocarbon black hole or anything.

actually, i would say that @ 550km/h, it would be using a fuck-load of gas. tall gearing is fine, 500hp and streamlining would help, but let's have a think about it:

factory busa - 100km/h @ 3100rpm. redline about 11000rpm. 300km/h at aound 9500rpm. wide open throttle. probably using about 25 litres/100km.

gear it down to say 2000rpm @ 100km/h. in a perfect world - around 400km/h@ 10000rpm. still @ WOT. note where you are in the RPM range

so go to 1500rpm @ 100km/h. now you're getting close. 550km/h comes at 8250rpm. still at the top end of the rpm range. needing all that 500hp to push the air out of the way (note 550km/h is as fast as an ATR/Dash 8/Beech 1900 commuter plane is - and the lowest HP they start at is 2600. a beech 1900 uses 1000lbs of jet fuel an hour at 550km/h.....). all that 500hp is going to suck some gas. guaranteed.

these guys are FOS.

vifferman
7th June 2007, 10:32
these guys are FOS.
Maybe they're just smoking crack again?
It's interesting some of the weird stuff that comes out of Switzerland, given how staid and uptight they are as a nation. AND they hate speed, not obeying the traffic laws, etc.
It's also interesting their predilection for bikes like this - it's one in a long string of fully-enclosed two wheelers, but usually they're BMW powered (wouldn't want to get TOO weird and go for Jap power.:shit:

degrom
7th June 2007, 11:35
Maybe they're just smoking crack again?
It's interesting some of the weird stuff that comes out of Switzerland, given how staid and uptight they are as a nation. AND they hate speed, not obeying the traffic laws, etc.
It's also interesting their predilection for bikes like this - it's one in a long string of fully-enclosed two wheelers, but usually they're BMW powered (wouldn't want to get TOO weird and go for Jap power.:shit:

I thought only Germans can build powerful engines?

MisterD
7th June 2007, 12:35
I thought only Germans can build powerful engines?

Aston, Rolls, TVR....you want real power, you go to Pomgolia.