PDA

View Full Version : Please help me locate a bolt I need

Gremlin
6th June 2007, 23:54
Who would have thought it was this hard... Been to see heaps of fastener places, some engineering shops as well.

I need exactly as pictured, except its a 130mm, and I need 150+mm. Its to bolt a crash bung onto a bike, through bung, frame and engine. M10, I have been told its a 1.25 pitch (also been told its a 1.125 pitch), but Competition (new KB member I went to see) said its definitely a 1.25 pitch. 12.9 on the socket head, which I believe is a strong steel?

Basically, I can have one made... at a cost of $50 :gob:. The entire set out of the US cost me $267 (hence why I'm not quite ready to go back to them, to get the correct bolt). Does anyone know where to source this, or make it, for cheaper (pref auckland)?

Crisis management
7th June 2007, 11:13
EDL or Steelmasters are the best suppliers in my book, if they haven't got it then your buggered.....
Other than making it (How far does $50 go to repair bike damage?) you have the choice of using threaded rod (studding) and a nut on the outside end. The only problem with this is that it will be softer steel and will bend a lot sooner than 12.9 grade capscrews.

Spend the $50 and get back to riding!

Firefight
7th June 2007, 11:43
Who would have thought it was this hard... Been to see heaps of fastener places, some engineering shops as well.

pretty sure I have a couple at home, pm me your contact number, I won,t be home till 2morrow morning, if your not in a hurray for it I can check then

F/F

Max Preload
7th June 2007, 18:00
"Property Class 12.9" is medium carbon alloy steel quenched & tempered - 970MPa proof, 1100Mpa yield, 1220MPa UTS. That's quite high, but realistically probably not completely necessary, given the application.

Another consideration with 12.9 grade is that they're prone to stress corrosion cracking (hydrogen) whether they're electroplated or not.

Gremlin
8th June 2007, 00:31
"Property Class 12.9" is medium carbon alloy steel quenched & tempered - 970MPa proof, 1100Mpa yield, 1220MPa UTS. That's quite high, but realistically probably not completely necessary, given the application.

Another consideration with 12.9 grade is that they're prone to stress corrosion cracking (hydrogen) whether they're electroplated or not.
:wacko: could I have that in English?

I have seen EDL, tried to find Steelmasters, Blacks Fasteners got very close, but the wrong pitch, AES couldn't find anything in NZ, but could make for $50 a bolt, and Competition Engineering in Papakura tried to hunt down supply as well. Didn't succeed, and could also make for $50 a bolt. Comes to the worst, I'll have to do that. I can't use a nut, as the bolt is inside a bung, so it has to be a socket head cap.

Cheers for the phonecall F/F, I'll wait to see if you have anything, otherwise, I'll get one made up...

The Pastor
8th June 2007, 10:13
$50 should get you a dozen made up.....

Firefight
8th June 2007, 10:37
got two mate,

am off for a sleep, pls don,t ring me, I will give you a call after lunch re picking them up.

F/F

Max Preload
8th June 2007, 17:14
:wacko: could I have that in English?

What I'm saying is using such a high grade fastener is an overkill. What does it actually thread into on these things?

Gremlin
9th June 2007, 01:05
What I'm saying is using such a high grade fastener is an overkill. What does it actually thread into on these things?
For mine, its bung-frame-engine mount.

Firefight has a couple I will be picking up tomorrow... fingers crossed they work :yes:

Gremlin
10th June 2007, 01:50
$50 should get you a dozen made up.....
yeh sure... you obviously know more than EDL Fasteners, Blacks Fasteners, Anzor, one I can't remember, Corus, Titon, Auckland Engineering Supplies and Competition Engineering. AES and Competition looked as far as Oz, for supplies, and drew a big fat zilch.

Sadly, Firefight's bolts were right length, right pitch... and wrong diameter :( If anyone wants a couple of bolts of a smaller diameter (not sure exactly what it is - would guess 8 ish) ask me.

I've resorted to getting one made, I'm sick of running around, I just want the damn bung fitted. Should be done next weekend hopefully :Punk:

Ocean1
13th June 2007, 12:45
Standard ISO pitch for 10mm fasteners is 1.5mm so I'm not surprised you're having trouble with a long one like that. 1.25mm pitch is ISO 10mm fine, normally used only for high stress heavy sections like head studs and rod bolts etc.

Almost all socket head bolts are a fairly high grade so if you can find some 10mm ones long enough to be able to cut down then screwcutting a new thread the correct length is easy enough. I could have done it for you (late agin', sorry). As a matter of interest what dickhead manufacturer used an ISO fine thread there?

Madness
13th June 2007, 15:33
M10 x 1.25 is commom as fark on Jap & Euro vehicles, not just bikes. The problem is that manufacturers don't take things like "Kiwi Ingenuity" into account when designing and expect people to source OEM replacement parts when required (Tui moment). Problem is not the diameter/pitch but a combination of that with what would ordinarily be considered an oddball length, for example you wouldn't normally need a 150mm Cap Screw on a Corolla.

Just another price to pay for living in the Antipodies.

Hex Head Bolts come in either Gr4.6, ideal for sacrificial situations & cheaper, or 8.8, regarded as High-Tensile. As far as I know you can't buy Socket Head fasteners in a grade lower than 12.6, it aint overkill, just all you can get off the shelf in a Socket head.

Ocean1
13th June 2007, 15:54
Feck'n built in obsolescence’s what it is….

Gremlin
14th June 2007, 12:10
Problem is not the diameter/pitch but a combination of that with what would ordinarily be considered an oddball length, for example you wouldn't normally need a 150mm Cap Screw on a Corolla.
hit the nail on the head... or is that bolt :dodge:

Had the following:
- Right diameter, right pitch, wrong length (original)
- Right length, right diameter, wrong pitch (from Blacks Fasteners)
- Right length, right pitch, wrong diameter (Firefights)

Oh well, Competition has rung me today, bolt has been made, but zinc'ing will take it past the weekend... so early next week :yes:

FROSTY
14th June 2007, 12:27
just saw this thread. My advice would have been to go see Spence at Atomic wreckers. He's got boxes of engine mount bolts