PDA

View Full Version : ZX9R - To the Brass from Auckland

Biggles08
7th June 2007, 14:23
Well I have my first Brass monkey badge and not sure what to do with it...but I have it :-)

I rode to the Brass monkey (Down the bottom of the SI for all you uninitiated) on my 98 ZX9R and was suitably impressed with her effort. Had a couple of issues on the way, the first being a slow leak that ended in a complete flat in Waiuru at 8am! I was traveling with my father on his ZZR1200 and we had bike to bike comms. I was complaining all the way down the desert road about all the ice on the road of which miraculously my father had experienced none of?!?! I not once considered that my tires may not be up to scratch and it wasn't until after a pit stop for a quick 'warm you up' coffee in lovely Waiuru did my dad notice my rear tire looking a bit sad. He kicked it (like he lovingly used to to me when I was younger) and discovered every trace of air was anywhere but in the tire. Of course this explained the strange wiggles i was experiencing:doh:.

Appart from this (oh BTW we pumped it up and carried on stopping every 40k's to pump it up until we made it to Welly where we needed to check in for the midday ferry...we then got it fixed at Welly motorcycles prior to hopping on the ferry) my bike was experiencing a serious amount of carb icing all through the desert road. This aided in distracting me from the wiggles i was experiencing as I had never had my bike misfire like it was. Interestingly, the only reason that I even considered this to be the case was about a week ago, the previous owner of my bike contacted me through this forum saying that he recognized my bike #plate and told me about the icing he had experienced with this bike. He explained that he had fitted heated carbs from Kawasaki Japan and never experienced this again....well I did:gob:.

Anyway, later in the trip my dads ZZR 1200 (also with heated carbs) experienced the same phenomena i was so this made me feel better.

Is there anything I can do about this...I guess I'm just lucky that I live in AKL and these wet cold conditions aren't the norm here....??? wait a minute!!!??? (another argument for another time ;-))

My point is I have not had this issue here in AKL...ever, but then I haven't owned my bike through a winter yet. Does anyone know of a solution to this?

Apart from these small issues, the bike went really well and I was comfortable enough for the entire trip of over 3600km in total (the over sized tank bag made a nice wee pillow to lean on although above 180kph it became a problem....mmmmmuuust......gggett....bbbehiiiiind thhee fairringgg!!!)

Great bike...great ride....bring on next year!!! Check out some of the photos below.

cowboyz
7th June 2007, 15:07
super bike. nice colour too.......

Maha
7th June 2007, 15:16
Cheerful write up there Biggles, those 'sunny but brisk' South Island days are the best.

Biggles08
7th June 2007, 15:43
super bike. nice colour too.......

mmmmmmm....green with envy!:yes: ditto to you! I saw two other green ZX9Rs at the brass, one had an aftermarket rear tire hugger and looked very smart. Do you have icing issues with yours?:cold:

slinky
7th June 2007, 16:04
looking at the pics makes me extremely jealous!!!!

did you get those thermals you were talking about on the ATNR???
lol, ur bike looks nice n packed up with all the gear on the back!!!

Biggles08
7th June 2007, 16:10
looking at the pics makes me extremely jealous!!!!

didn't read the thread. am at work, and this laptop gives me headaches if i stare too long!
But did you get those thermals you were talking about on the ATNR???

I only had two pairs of thermals so after a week on the road I wasn't very pleasant to be around.:sick: I was trying to get a heated vest wired up for under my one piece but it kept blowing fuses so I gave up (for the moment). You should be jealous it was an awsome ride!!! next year Sl1nky...next year bud!

cowboyz
7th June 2007, 17:24
mmmmmmm....green with envy!:yes: ditto to you! I saw two other green ZX9Rs at the brass, one had an aftermarket rear tire hugger and looked very smart. Do you have icing issues with yours?:cold:

not sure what "icing issues" means to be honest. but no. bike runs mint. I brought it in march and have done 13000 on it so far. great bike to tour on. fantastic bike to cane it on, and not bad for commuting. I actually dont like it much in town. I just leave it in first gear in town.

Hopefully next year I will get down south island with it. good stuff.

NinjaNanna
7th June 2007, 17:42
This site will be very useful for you http://www.zx-9r.net/phpBB2/index.php

I haven't experienced Carb Icing on my bike yet, but what I do recall reading on the site above, is that there is a coolant line that runs near the carbs that is meant to minimise carb icing, there is a filter in this line that clogs up.

I think this effected all carb models but may have been specific to the "B" model that I have. I think you have the C am I correct?

Cheers

Shane

cowboyz
7th June 2007, 17:52
sweet. yes mine is a C1 model. Going to check out the zx9r forum for a bit.

bladez
7th June 2007, 18:10
looked like a fun trip :yes: what was it like riding down s-island

rogson
7th June 2007, 18:34
If you don't "tour" in cold, foggy/misty conditions on your carburetted ZX7, 9 or 10 you probably haven't encountered carb icing.

It occurs when its cold and the humidity is high, when cruising for longish periods at a low throttle settings (say, up to 150kph). Cold, moist air expanding into the vaccuum behind the throttle drops to below freezing temperature precipitating carb icing.

paturoa
7th June 2007, 19:03
Sorry we didn't catch up at the BM, where did you camp?

Where were the pics taken.

doc
7th June 2007, 19:21
I only had two pairs of thermals so after a week on the road I wasn't very pleasant to be around.:sick:
Found the answer to that "Icebreaker thermals" they guarantee that you wont stink for 14 days at least. It's merino , I asked if it was NZ made and got this answer. "It's made from a NZ renewable resource that is remanufactured in China" They are the best thing I've used so far and I couldn't smell anything.

cowboyz
7th June 2007, 19:26

If you don't "tour" in cold, foggy/misty conditions on your carburetted ZX7, 9 or 10 you probably haven't encountered carb icing.

It occurs when its cold and the humidity is high, when cruising for longish periods at a low throttle settings (say, up to 150kph). Cold, moist air expanding into the vaccuum behind the throttle drops to below freezing temperature precipitating carb icing.

oh. I too much of a pussy to ride when its too cold.

no no no.. that wasnt my excuse....

Try this one...

The weather is always fantastic around ashhurst so we dont experience cold spells.......

yep . that should work..

Biggles08
7th June 2007, 19:45
Sorry we didn't catch up at the BM, where did you camp?

Where were the pics taken.

Hi paturoa,

We were camping about midway down (maybe 150mtrs up the hill from the KB flag) in the middle slightly towards the road. About as far down as the toilet block away from the road. I'll post a pic with this message with the location. The other pics were in the Lindis pass and the lake just south of Lake Tekapo (the one with the dam that you ride over). Maybe next year we can ride down together from somewhere. We road from Akl - Taupo - Welly - picton - Nelson - Murchinston - Greymouth - Arthurs pass - springfield (didn't see Homer though) - Tekapo - Wanaka - Alexandra (where incidently we needed to get dads radiator aluminium welded as he sprung a leak!!!) - Brass Monkey - Tekapo - Chch - Kaikoura - Picton - Welly - Palm North - Taupo - AKL. The longest day was sunday after the rally where we rode all the way to Kaikoura in one day....slept well that night.

Sollyboy
7th June 2007, 19:56
re your carb icing , this is not carb icing as such but more the recondensing of the atomised fuel , a 3% mixture of isopropyl alcohol usually fixes it.

is your fueling standard?

Biggles08
7th June 2007, 19:58
looked like a fun trip :yes: what was it like riding down s-island

It was bloody awesome! It was some serious fast touring most days probably averaging about 120kph usually sitting on 140kph-150kph (only on private roads of course ;-)) On public roads we kept to the signposted speed limit of course:innocent:. The Lindis pass is great riding...big predictable sweepers where you can see the exit and are able to lay over as far as you like. I really didn't notice the luggage on my bike at all and it handled perfectly. What can I say..Awesome!:yes::scooter:

Some more photos for you to lust over!!!

Sollyboy
7th June 2007, 19:59
i see you guys both have the c1 model ,if it has the standard 155 main jet there is a quick mod to perk them up and add 10hp to the midrange and 5 hp up top and help that icing problem a bit , just raise the carb needles about 1.5 mm , youll need washers as they are unadjustable normally

Biggles08
7th June 2007, 20:01
re your carb icing , this is not carb icing as such but more the recondensing of the atomised fuel , a 3% mixture of isopropyl alcohol usually fixes it.

is your fueling standard?

yep...just good ol 91 octane as that is what i was told it was tuned to and it runs sweet on it apart from when it is cold and moist.

Biggles08
7th June 2007, 20:05
This site will be very useful for you http://www.zx-9r.net/phpBB2/index.php

I haven't experienced Carb Icing on my bike yet, but what I do recall reading on the site above, is that there is a coolant line that runs near the carbs that is meant to minimise carb icing, there is a filter in this line that clogs up.

I think this effected all carb models but may have been specific to the "B" model that I have. I think you have the C am I correct?

Cheers

Shane

Hey Shane,

Thanks for the tip...I went into Mt Eden Motorcycles today and te mechanic told me the same thing. Also Rogson gave me the same info so I will have a look for this little buggery filter you all speak of.

Cheers for the info.
Marcus

Biggles08
7th June 2007, 20:14
Found the answer to that "Icebreaker thermals" they guarantee that you wont stink for 14 days at least. It's merino , I asked if it was NZ made and got this answer. "It's made from a NZ renewable resource that is remanufactured in China" They are the best thing I've used so far and I couldn't smell anything.

Funny Doc...I couldn't smell anything either but when I got home I was pushed into the shower before you could say " Hi honey I'm home hows about a quicky?":blip:

Biggles08
7th June 2007, 20:18
i see you guys both have the c1 model ,if it has the standard 155 main jet there is a quick mod to perk them up and add 10hp to the midrange and 5 hp up top and help that icing problem a bit , just raise the carb needles about 1.5 mm , youll need washers as they are unadjustable normally

Interesting? I'm not sure if I'm that interested in more power....I can't believe I just wrote that?!?! of course I am! I'm about to give my baby a birthday present and send her in for a complete service and valve shim check etc and I'll talk to the mech about that...see what they have to say. Thanks for the tip. Have you owned one/own one of these bikes?

paturoa
7th June 2007, 20:25
Hi paturoa,

We were camping about midway down (maybe 150mtrs up the hill from the KB flag) in the middle slightly towards the road. About as far down as the toilet block away from the road. I'll post a pic with this message with the location. The other pics were in the Lindis pass and the lake just south of Lake Tekapo (the one with the dam that you ride over). Maybe next year we can ride down together from somewhere. We road from Akl - Taupo - Welly - picton - Nelson - Murchinston - Greymouth - Arthurs pass - springfield (didn't see Homer though) - Tekapo - Wanaka - Alexandra (where incidently we needed to get dads radiator aluminium welded as he sprung a leak!!!) - Brass Monkey - Tekapo - Chch - Kaikoura - Picton - Welly - Palm North - Taupo - AKL. The longest day was sunday after the rally where we rode all the way to Kaikoura in one day....slept well that night.

Just up from us. I really enjoyed my solo ride this year but would like to ride together next year if that is possible (and T.I.E isn't broken arsed again!)

Last year I rode from Kaikoura to Auckland in 1 day and the ferry was 3 hours late. Then I had to go to an early morning work meeting the next day - T don't recall the meeting!

Biggles08
7th June 2007, 20:33
Just up from us. I really enjoyed my solo ride this year but would like to ride together next year if that is possible (and T.I.E isn't broken arsed again!)

Last year I rode from Kaikoura to Auckland in 1 day and the ferry was 3 hours late. Then I had to go to an early morning work meeting the next day - T don't recall the meeting!

Bugger that!!!??? what did you ride down? It was really cool riding with dad as we had the bike to bike comms and this made it really enjoyable...also he could tell me when his radar picked up a copper :2thumbsup

Sollyboy
7th June 2007, 21:21
Interesting? I'm not sure if I'm that interested in more power....I can't believe I just wrote that?!?! of course I am! I'm about to give my baby a birthday present and send her in for a complete service and valve shim check etc and I'll talk to the mech about that...see what they have to say. Thanks for the tip. Have you owned one/own one of these bikes?

Id say your mechanic wouldnt be familiar with the carb mod , but it is only good with the stock jets on a stock bike or a bike with a muffler fitted, a full system usually needs 158 jets

Coldrider
23rd July 2007, 17:30
If you haven't found a cure for carb icing on a ZX9R, use 100ml per tank refill of FUCHS Silkolene PRO FST, it is like iso propyl alcohol but has a lubricant to stop the carbs freezing on a shut throttle, costs $18 per litre.

I have been to the Brass 9 times on my ZX and it freezes every time, usually starts missing about Norsewood, and especially bad through Murchison.
Pro Fst is the only fix that I have found that actually works.

Biggles08
23rd July 2007, 18:24
If you haven't found a cure for carb icing on a ZX9R, use 100ml per tank refill of FUCHS Silkolene PRO FST, it is like iso propyl alcohol but has a lubricant to stop the carbs freezing on a shut throttle, costs $18 per litre.

I have been to the Brass 9 times on my ZX and it freezes every time, usually starts missing about Norsewood, and especially bad through Murchison.
Pro Fst is the only fix that I have found that actually works.

Thanks cold rider...I'll remember that for next year if I go. I have had the filter cleaned and it has got heaps better but still every now and then I get a triple cylinder as it seems only one carb is the culprit. Must be the way the ram air shoots air into the airbox. Anyway, I'll keep that in mind for when I'm riding in extreme conditions. Did you go this year? The fog leaving through Alexandra set the icing off big time.:shit:

Coldrider
24th July 2007, 09:42
Yes I was there this year, rained through the West Coast on the way down, fined up at the tip of lake Wanaka. We camped beyond the crest past the Xtreme ramp, backing off the creek. My ZX is a lime greeny distinguished by green powder coated ventura packrack. On the weay home we left the fog behind at lake Hawea, the West Coast was warm & dry and the road was fantastic with a bit of grit left behind, not many cops over there.

Anyway the carb icing ruined many a good ride till it was sorted. Mine has not got carb heating. Most of the tips are to get the engine to run hotter forcing heat back to the carbs but it never worked on my Kwacka, Iso Propyl alc works but is prone to icing on a shut throttle and spluttering on exit of a corner on a cold road is not confidence inspiring, the FST works really well.

Biggles08
24th July 2007, 10:12
Yes I was there this year, rained through the West Coast on the way down, fined up at the tip of lake Wanaka. We camped beyond the crest past the Xtreme ramp, backing off the creek. My ZX is a lime greeny distinguished by green powder coated ventura packrack. On the weay home we left the fog behind at lake Hawea, the West Coast was warm & dry and the road was fantastic with a bit of grit left behind, not many cops over there.

Anyway the carb icing ruined many a good ride till it was sorted. Mine has not got carb heating. Most of the tips are to get the engine to run hotter forcing heat back to the carbs but it never worked on my Kwacka, Iso Propyl alc works but is prone to icing on a shut throttle and spluttering on exit of a corner on a cold road is not confidence inspiring, the FST works really well.

I saw your bike...there also was a K green ZX9R up behind the shops. It had a green rear hugger. looked great. Thinking of getting one for mine but I think I'll paint it grey blue to match the belly pan.

We were camping down a bit on the right side. You were up by the big trikes aye? Wasn't it miserable setting up camp in the rain! Glad it stopped.

The ride back was good after we got out of the fog...heading up through Lindis Pass was magnificent! We went all the way to Kaikuora that day.

BarBender
24th July 2007, 14:34
Nice write up...and a great way for you to spend time with ya old man.
Love that colour on his ZZR

scumdog
24th July 2007, 14:45
Went past the site last Thusday - you should see it now!!

(Have a look at the pics on the thread "Work Stories -no, work photos", the pics are much what it looks like now.)

Biggles08
24th July 2007, 16:20
Nice write up...and a great way for you to spend time with ya old man.
Love that colour on his ZZR

He loves that bike..No Plate MYTOI :-). His graphics arn't standard either, hes put the 1200 stickers up on the tail piece and the ZZR down on the fairings. He's also got some faint 'washout' graphics that you can't see in the pics but look good. We had a great time...don't see him much as he's in Tauranga and I'm in Aklnd (soooooo far away...lol) so it was a good way to catch up.

Cajun
24th July 2007, 16:23
I know your father Biggles, though it was same bike from the photos wasn't to sure

thru the local uylsses branch, my father in law is the local president.

Biggles08
24th July 2007, 16:23
Went past the site last Thusday - you should see it now!!

(Have a look at the pics on the thread "Work Stories -no, work photos", the pics are much what it looks like now.)

Yeh, it actually wasn't really that 'brassy' when we went...although it was cold in the middle of the night, I'm sure it would be colder there now! Was a little disapointed with it being raining when we set up camp...said to my dad "I could have camped up in Aklnd if I wanted rain!" But alas it stopped.:banana:

Biggles08
24th July 2007, 16:28
I know your father Biggles, though it was same bike from the photos wasn't to sure

thru the local uylsses branch, my father in law is the local president.

LOL...small world! He loves the Uylsses Club...buggers off for rides with them every second W/E. Me...well lets just say I'm not even a junior yet :innocent:.

Cajun
24th July 2007, 16:30
LOL...small world! He loves the Uylsses Club...buggers off for rides with them every second W/E. Me...well lets just say I'm not even a junior yet :innocent:.

either am i, but i have been riding with them for like 8-9 years now, i go to some of there rallys, and what not.

I am usual the barman at the tauranga rally, so the local members can talk shit with members from other clubs and what not

Biggles08
24th July 2007, 16:32
either am i, but i have been riding with them for like 8-9 years now, i go to some of there rallys, and what not.

I am usual the barman at the tauranga rally, so the local members can talk shit with members from other clubs and what not

Mmmmm...barman...an important man to know!!! Well if I'm ever down there on a ride with the TG chapter, I'll look out for you and you can buy me a beer (lucky you). How about coming to the BM next year with us?

ceebie13
24th July 2007, 20:26
Hey guys... I was once a ZX9 man. I brought a C2 over from England but have since sold it to guy from Hamilton. Mine had issues with carb icing too, so you are not alone. Wish I'd known about the tips I've just read about here.
Oh well, too late now. I loved it though. Toured everywhere on it...France, Germany (including the Nurburgring) and of course Blighty. Check out a pic of it here at its Upper Hutt home.

http://homepage.mac.com/dicklaing/PhotoAlbum7.html
Follow the slide show till you get to it. You'll see I actually had three cos I loved em so much. Cheers.

MotoGirl
24th July 2007, 20:41
Mmmmm...barman...an important man to know!!! Well if I'm ever down there on a ride with the TG chapter, I'll look out for you and you can buy me a beer (lucky you). How about coming to the BM next year with us?

We're doing our tour in April so will miss it - damn shame!

mbazza
1st August 2007, 21:21
Good one, interesting write up. Glad to see you've got a solution for your carb icing as well. See you there next year! Cheers. :spudflip:

Coldrider
1st August 2007, 23:40
Hi mbazza, what is the road over to Naseby like, heard stories of harsh gravel etc, what is it really like, for a sport bike.
Pity you have not got far enough to ride to ,the Brass.

Biggles08
13th August 2007, 15:27
Hey guys... I was once a ZX9 man. I brought a C2 over from England but have since sold it to guy from Hamilton. Mine had issues with carb icing too, so you are not alone. Wish I'd known about the tips I've just read about here.
Oh well, too late now. I loved it though. Toured everywhere on it...France, Germany (including the Nurburgring) and of course Blighty. Check out a pic of it here at its Upper Hutt home.

Dude...thats a nice looking bike you have there!!! You say you've done the Nurburgring...lucky bastard! That would have been awesome as long as you stayed out of the way of the Ferrari's flying around the track! One day I will take a bike around that track...one day :yes::scooter: