PDA

View Full Version : Help from a video file geek needed

merv
7th June 2007, 20:09
Mrs merv has some .avi files she wants to put on disc so they can be played in any DVD player.

She has WinDVD Creator on her laptop and she set up the files to burn and then copied them to a CDR disc (is this mistake number 1, does she need DVDR discs?). What happened is the files transferred OK and she can play the video on our DVD player but there is no sound.

The files she is setting up are only 116 megs so we thought a CDR would be fine or do they just not handle DVD format? The video file comes out as a .vob file but as I said there seems to be no audio at all.

So help what should we do?

mooks
7th June 2007, 21:27
double post - sorry

mooks
7th June 2007, 21:27
try burning them as a video cd rather than just dropping it as data onto the disc. CD should do fine, but I think its the format you are burning them as ....
If you are using nero then select create video cd and it should extract sound as well from the vob file .....

merv
7th June 2007, 22:28
OK but any one know how to do it right with WinDVD Creator - no matter how hard we looked couldn't see a setting change that would help?

bobsmith
7th June 2007, 23:02
not sure about winDVD but if you have an avi that needs to be converted to VCD or DVD Avi2DVD is probably the easiest and it is free. Look at http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.html

It will create the files that need to be burned onto a VCD and all you need to do is copy them onto a CD. There are lots of tutorials out there but this is a good one: http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/article_avi2dvd_page1.html

One thing for certain is that you can't just burn the avi onto a CD you need to convert it to an MPEG (for VCD) or MPEG2 (for DVD) using a tool such as AVI2DVD.

[edit] - sorry should have read your post properly before I posted...... since your dvd player is playing the video fine, it seems that your audio got left behind.... to see if it's the DVD player or the audio that didn't get encoded open up your vob file using a dvd player software on the laptop to see if there is sound. If there isn't make sure winDVD creator is encoding the audio as well. (don't know how windvd creator is arranged but if you had to drag and drop the video onto the timeline, you might have to do it again for the audio) If the sound does play from the vob file, try encoding the sound in different format (it will most likely be in mp3 format so try encoding it in AC3)

bobsmith
7th June 2007, 23:12
I'm interested, how large was the source video file and how large is the resulting vob file?