PDA

View Full Version : Ducati oil leak (surprise surprise)

McJim
7th June 2007, 22:52
I have oil leaking from my 1998 Ducati 600ss. It's not much in the scheme of things - it takes about 1,000kms for the level to drop from Max to Min.

The culprit (I don't know the technical name for this so bear with me if I get it wrong) is where the drive shaft connected to the front sprocket comes out I think.

To fix this will I need to drain the oil completely, take the sprocket off, take the side of the engine off, replace the seal round the shaft and then put it all back together again?

Or can I take the sprocket off and fix it without taking the side of the engine off?

And should I be doing this or taking it to a professional?

Sensei
7th June 2007, 23:01
The spocket seals are fairly easy to do but if you aren't confident then get afew quotes from a few shops on doing it . Seal should be a standard size so try & get its part number & size as you may beable to just get one from a Bearing / Seal shop for alot cheaper .

Crisis management
8th June 2007, 08:42
The usual method of changing these types of seals involves pulling the seal out of its housing, which calls for damaging the seal to get a puller/screwdriver blade behind it to pull it out. So, when you start this operation you are commited to finishing it, the option of riding it to a mechanic should you get stuck half way is gone.
Having said that, it just needs a bit of patience and delicacy to do the job properly, just the job for a glaswegian.......I can hear the swearing already!
Take the removed seal to Saeco bearings (penrose) as they seem to have the best collection of eclectic seals. If you want to plan ahead, remove the sprocket and the seal size is embossed on the outer face of the seal, so you can even get the replacement before the mayhem begins.

Photos appreciated.

PS if you want a hand give me a PM.

Last minute thought.....are you sure its leaking that much, what is the oil consumption supposed to be on the 600s? All my Ducati's (admitedly older than yours) have consumed oil as a natural part of the process.

Jeaves
8th June 2007, 10:26
dont put it in dry either , buy some rubber grease Jamie.

ipod1098
8th June 2007, 10:47
Haynes service and repair manual will help.

car
8th June 2007, 16:17
The spocket seals are fairly easy to do but if you aren't confident then get afew quotes from a few shops on doing it . Seal should be a standard size so try & get its part number & size as you may beable to just get one from a Bearing / Seal shop for alot cheaper .

Iiinteresting! Is this a generally easy thing, or just on Ducatia 600SSs? My ZXR750H is leaking there, too -- I only found this out after I'd stopped oil hosing down from above where the rocker cover seal was leaking. I had assumed, dullard that I am, that the seal on the shaft would mean pulling all sorts of crap out.

If it's fixable with the engine in, I'll do the seal myself, once TSS have fixed what the moving company did to the bike.

Scouse
8th June 2007, 16:45
Iiinteresting! Is this a generally easy thing, or just on Ducatia 600SSs? My ZXR750H is leaking there, too The probable cause of this is riding with your chain tensioned excesivly

car
8th June 2007, 17:00
The probable cause of this is riding with your chain tensioned excesivly

The deficiencies of the previous owner are many and varied, as are the names I've been heard to call him. It was leaking that way when I bought it, I just never noticed because the underside of the bike was already soaked from the leaking rocker cover gasket -- which I did spot. Unfortunately, I let the greenness blind me to the old rule that for every one fault you spot, there are ten still hidden.

Or are you saying that the leak now isn't because the seal is worn or damaged from previous use and abuse, but likely because my chain's too tight right now?

Crisis management
8th June 2007, 17:09
Or are you saying that the leak now isn't because the seal is worn or damaged from previous use and abuse, but likely because my chain's too tight right now?

Once the seal is damaged it leaks.....regardless of the tightness of the chain. Just remember that all seals have a finite life, they will fail regardless of the level of maintenance at some point. The output shaft seal is in a nasty environment covered with grit and oil and very rarely cleaned so not destined for a long life anyway.

McJim
8th June 2007, 21:51
We're talking about bikes that are pushing a decade or more here so it wouldn't surprise me that it's just wear and tear.

Will have a look at removing the front sprocket and see is there is any writing in there still legible.

Will not attempt anything irreversable until I've had a double shot of whisky and a deep breath!

McJim
14th June 2007, 20:25
The good news is the front sprocket seal is fine.

The bad news is that at some time in history the bike had a chain snap and smash a hole through the engine casing.

The worse news is the hole was filled with a kind of putty and then painted silver......this is the stuff that has failed and is causing the leak.

The bike is now receiving tender loving care from Motorcycle Surgery on College Hill where they are cutting out pieces of aluminium to fit the hole.

Maybe I won't buy my next bike from Trademe...................

El Dopa
14th June 2007, 20:34
The bike is now receiving tender loving care from Motorcycle Surgery on College Hill where they are cutting out pieces of aluminium to fit the hole.

Sorry to hear about the 'ole.

But Motorcycle Surgery are excellent.

McJim
16th June 2007, 12:20
Woohoo!

I have a bike again - even better it doesn't splatter engine oil all over the left hand edge of the rear tyre any more so I can go round left hand corners too!

Big thanks to the fellas at Auckland Motorcycle Surgery.