PDA

View Full Version : Guitarist needed

Disco Dan
8th June 2007, 01:15
Anyone play the guitar in Auckland?

I am looking for somone to teach me how to play something (I can play a bit, know a dozen or so chords just after some help with this song). There is always somone better than yourself at everything in life, so I figure that makes for a heck of a lot of people that qualify to teach me!

I will pay. ...and i'm 100% straight.

Song attached. (pm me if you want to know the name/artist)

Thanks in advance!

xwhatsit
8th June 2007, 01:37
You know, maybe you could play music if you learned how to read music first? It's like trying to learn how to act Shakespeare without first learning how to read.

Tabs are not in any sense a complete form of music notation. You can't hope to learn any form of musical technique when you don't have an understanding of what you're playing.

Disco Dan
8th June 2007, 01:40
You know, maybe you could play music if you learned how to read music first? It's like trying to learn how to act Shakespeare without first learning how to read.

Tabs are not in any sense a complete form of music notation. You can't hope to learn any form of musical technique when you don't have an understanding of what you're playing.

I can read tabs.... (sort of) ..damit hehe

The Lone Rider
8th June 2007, 01:54
What exactly are you wanting to learn? How to read tab? How to do the timing? Proper fingering? Proper finger technique?

riffer
8th June 2007, 07:16

You sound like a pianist. :dodge:

I've always found tabs and the music on a cd player to work fine. There's a number of techniques with guitar that are complex to notate with standard musical notation.

Always best to do it by ear, I reckon.

Big Dave
8th June 2007, 07:42
You sound like a pianist. :dodge:

I've always found tabs and the music on a cd player to work fine. There's a number of techniques with guitar that are complex to notate with standard musical notation.

Always best to do it by ear, I reckon.

You sound like a dick yourself.

The 'ears' only work if you have them.

A researcher arrives in Borneo to gather data for his thesis. Accompanied by his trusty guide, he seeks out a very remote locale for researching the mating behaviour of the giant rat of Sumatra.
Around dusk of the first day, he's sitting by the campfire with his guide when in the distance, he hears tribal drums. They get louder. The guide announces, "I don't like the sound of those drums."
The dusk turns evening. The drums get louder. The guide says, "I really don't like the sound of those drums."
Evening turns to dead of night. The drums get louder and louder, until it is obvious that the drummers must be quite close. The guide says again, "I really don't like the sound of those drums."
Suddenly the drums stop, and a voice from the darkness cries out, "Hey man, he's not our regular drummer!"

An anthropologist decides to investigate the natives of a far-flung tropical island. He flew there, found a
guide with a canoe to take him up the river to the remote site where he would make his collections. About
noon on the second day of travel up the river they began to hear drums. Being a city boy by nature, the
anthropologist was disturbed by this. He asked the guide, "What are those drums?"
The guide turned to him and said "Drums OK, but VERY BAD when they stop."
Then, after some hours, the drums suddenly stopped! This hit the anthropologist like a ton of bricks, and
he yelled at the guide: "The Drums have stopped, what happens now?"
The guide crouched down, covered his head with his hands and said, "Bass Solo".

How can you tell that there's a drummer at your front door?
The knocking gets faster and faster.
How can you tell that there's a vocalist at your front door?
She forgot the key and doesn't know when to come in.
How can you tell that there's an accordionist at your front door?
He doesn't stop knocking even after you answer.
How do you know when a trombone player is at your front door?
The doorbell drags.
How do you know when there's a banjo player at your door?
His hat says "Domino's".

The composer Robert Schumann wrote at the beginning of one of his compositions: "To be played as fast as possible." A few measures later he wrote: "Faster."
A man and his son were walking through a cemetery. The boy asked, "Daddy, do they bury two people in the same grave?"
The father said, "Two people? Let me look."
So the father took a look, and sure enough, the marker said, "Here lies a symphony conductor and a humble man."
What's the definition of an optimist?
A folk musician with a mortgage.
What do you call a accordionist with a beeper?
An optimist.
What's the difference between a musician and a savings bond?
One of them eventually matures and earns money.
What do you call a musician who doesn't have a girl friend?
Homeless!
We know a guy who was so dumb his teacher gave him two sticks and he became a drummer, but lost one and became a conductor.
"Why do you close your eyes while playing the piano?"
"I can't see the agony of the audience."

The doorbell rang and the lady of the house discovered a workman, complete with tool chest, on the front porch. "Madam," he announced, "I'm the piano tuner."
The lady exclaimed, "Why, I didn't send for a piano tuner."
The man replied, "I know you didn't, but your neighbors did."
Musician: "Did you hear my last recital?"
Friend: "I hope so."
"Do you love music?"
"Yes, but never mind, you may continue playing."
Why do bagpipers walk when they play?
To get away from the noise.
What do you call someone who hangs out with a bunch of musicians?
A drummer.
How do you get a lead guitarist to stop playing?
You put sheet music in front of him.

What does a guitar player do when he locks his keys in the car?
He breaks the window to get the bass player out.
"Mother, I want to grow up and be a rock-n-roll musician."
"Now son, you have to pick one or the other. You can't do both."

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

A viola player was returning from a gig, and, feeling tired, decided to stop at a roadside cafe for a rest and a cup of coffee. Halfway through the cup he remembered he'd left his viola on the passenger's seat of the car. He rushed outside... but it was too late... someone had broken the window and put two more violas on the rear seat!

How many musicians does it take to change a light bulb?
Five. One to change the light bulb and four to stand around and say, "Man, if I'd had his studio time, I could have done that."
How many sopranos does it take to change a light bulb?
Three. One to climb up the ladder, one to kick the ladder out from under her and a third to say, "I knew that was too high for you dear."
How many altos does it take to change a light bulb?
None. They can't get that high.
Two. One to change it and the other to say, "Isn't that a little high for you?"
How many folk singers does it take to change a light bulb?
Three. One to change the bulb and two to write a song about how good the old light bulb was.
How many country & western singers does it take to change a light bulb?
Four. One to change it, one to sing about how heartbroken he is at the loss of the old one, one to sing about how madly in love
she is with the new one, and one to go "Yeeeee-Hah !" and throw his hat in the air.
How many punk-rock musicians does it take to change a light bulb?
Two. One to screw in the bulb and the other to smash the old one on his forehead.
How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?
None, they have machines that do that now.
Five; one to do it and four to beat back all the guitarists who are trying to elbow their way into the spotlight.
How many flutists does it take to change a light bulb?
Just one, but he'll spend $5,000 on a Sterling silver bulb.
How many lead trumpet players does it take to change a light bulb?
Four. One to screw in the bulb and the others to stand around and say, "I could do that better."
How many trumpet players does it take to change a light bulb?
Just one, but he'll do it too loudly.
How many clarinetists does it take to change a light bulb?
Only one, but he'll go through a whole box of bulbs before he finds just the right one.
How many sound men does it take to change a light bulb?
"One, two, one, two..."
"Hey man, I just do sound."
"Light bulbs? Why bother, they don't make any noise."

riffer
8th June 2007, 07:50
You sound like a dick yourself.

The 'ears' only work if you have them.

LOL. The 'ears' work if they're all you got.

I can't read music to save myself mate... only tab.

Needs must...

Big Dave
8th June 2007, 08:21
Those without the ears, read.
Trying to get this down at the moment. Hard yards.

:rockon:

riffer
8th June 2007, 09:12
Looks a bit challenging. I'd have to see it in tab though, unfortunately, to have any idea.

My oldest son's doing piano, and I'm learning musical notation through his homework, but piano's so different you can't really apply it to guitar, I feel.

I'm curious - is that notation for guitar? Because from what I know from Tim's lessons, the musical notes that have the lines that go up are for right hand, and the ones that go down are for left hand. Do you just ignore that for guitar, or do they mean something different?

The Lone Rider
8th June 2007, 10:01
Looks a bit challenging. I'd have to see it in tab though, unfortunately, to have any idea.

My oldest son's doing piano, and I'm learning musical notation through his homework, but piano's so different you can't really apply it to guitar, I feel.

I'm curious - is that notation for guitar? Because from what I know from Tim's lessons, the musical notes that have the lines that go up are for right hand, and the ones that go down are for left hand. Do you just ignore that for guitar, or do they mean something different?

The lines for the left hand are bass cleff music, and the left hand has all the bass notes. Right hand is treble cleff and has the higher notes. For guitar you play the right hand stuff, unless you are playing a bass guitar then its the left hand stuff. There is a bit of overlap over both though, but I doubt you are playing a detuned 7 string electric guitar or 6 string bass guitar :D

I've played guitar for over 15 years, PM me questions if you find anything you want to ask.

TAB is easy for learning notes, but there is no indication of fingering or timing so you would have to use your ears with a recording to do the timing and fingering you would only learn if taught. Fingering is important to get technique right from the beginning or you will never reach full potential. Bad fingering habits are a real down fall.

Big Dave
8th June 2007, 10:06
What he said. - and most of my classical guitar books have the fingering indicated above the notes for the first 2 stanzas.

Disco Dan
8th June 2007, 11:34
Tabs: I can sort of read them, but not fast enough to play it at the right speed. I have to work each one out, play the note, then work the next one out...

Just after some help getting this song sorted, finger positioning few tips on reading the tab etc etc

Any takers?

ZeroIndex
8th June 2007, 11:36
Tabs: I can sort of read them, but not fast enough to play it at the right speed. I have to work each one out, play the note, then work the next one out...

Just after some help getting this song sorted, finger positioning few tips on reading the tab etc etc

Any takers?
what song is it again?

eliot-ness
8th June 2007, 17:10
I'm no guitarist but I found 'Figerpicking Guitar' by Gary Turner and Brenton White an easy book to follow. Tabs and musical notation. Starts with basic tunes and works through to simple classical, plus finger picking accompaniment styles, country, rock, blues etc. Comes with a cd demonstrating all the lessons. About $45 from Mainline Music. Wairau Road

Drunken Monkey
8th June 2007, 18:14

guitar tabs are really supposed to be a tool used by guitar players who are already fairly competant, not really to properly learn from. They're also not much use if you don't know the song, unlike proper sheet music (which usually doesn't have fingering charts, unlike BD's example).

unfortunately I can't help you because I don't recognize the song, it's probably also why the others are asking the same question. I'd need to know the song, then the tabs will make sense to me, then I can go abck to you and see what you need help with.

Toaster
8th June 2007, 18:32
guitar tabs are really supposed to be a tool used by guitar players who are already fairly competant, not really to properly learn from. They're also not much use if you don't know the song, unlike proper sheet music (which usually doesn't have fingering charts, unlike BD's example).

unfortunately I can't help you because I don't recognize the song, it's probably also why the others are asking the same question. I'd need to know the song, then the tabs will make sense to me, then I can go abck to you and see what you need help with.

Agreed on all counts. The TAB looks pretty drab too.... one fingered wonder!

Disco.... what kinda music you into?

Disco Dan
8th June 2007, 19:02
Agreed on all counts. The TAB looks pretty drab too.... one fingered wonder!

Disco.... what kinda music you into?

Ok, the song is "on the mend" by Foo Fighters. I really like the guitar picking in it.

I managed to pick Hotel California from a tab and now memorized it, but I had a long break from playing (year) and now having trouble getting into tabs again.

The Lone Rider
8th June 2007, 23:26
guitar tabs are really supposed to be a tool used by guitar players who are already fairly competant, not really to properly learn from.

I disagree

One of the first things I give my students is a sheet of tab music of a C major scale, but with shifting positions and not starting with the first finger on the first fret hand position. It helps them familarize themselves with the notes, the motions of playing and understanding how fingering is done for the most part by fret positioning/one finger per fret.

If I can teach a 7 year old a C major scale from tab, and he can play music from a Simple Plan and High School musical now (both were taught using tab) then anybody could if they have the patiences and can be critical of how they actually are doing.

I can send you the C major scale. It is not only something I use to teach, but is what I use to warm my hands up. After 17 years as a guitarist (I worked it out to 17 years today) I have mild arthritis and playing it not only loosens my fingers for playing but after a few runs increases my speed of playing.

The books I reccomend are

Mel Bays Complete Book Of Guitar Chords Scales and Appeggios by William Bay

Has pages and pages of everything, written in tab, stave, notation, and chord charted.

Play The Guitar (Book One) by Don King

Top notch beginners book and that will not only run you through reading music for guitar, but also teach you fingering and technique if you proactively apply it whenever you make a mistake. And once you complete that book, he has Book Two (and maybe Three) that furthers the lessons and complexity. Also has several songs that are duets and trios for if you want to practice with someone or be taught

Morcs
9th June 2007, 10:46
Whats the song called?

I was drinking with a dude last night that could play pretty much anysong without even thinking... he was awesome.

I could tee up a session for you with this dude no doubt...

Slingshot
9th June 2007, 12:31
I've been playing guitar for about six month now....no lessons, just teaching myself and having a go.

I've found tabs really good. The songs that I want to play I already know the tune so sheet music is over kill for me.

I can read music...used to play the trumpet...but it seems to take the fun away.

Guitar Pro (http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/653762/Guitar_Pro_5) is good if you want to see the sheet music and the tab...but still...for me it's over kill.

Wish you were here - Pink Floyd is one of my fav songs to play at the moment. Again, I've learnt it by listening to the song and following along with the tab.

hXc
9th June 2007, 12:38
*Clears throat*
Wrong. Tabs are an accepted form of musical notation. Maybe not in what you do, but it is a perfectly acceptable form of notation.

I know some wicked guitarists, and half of which can't read music. Out of the half that can't read music, they either read tabs, or by ear. And they're better than a lot of people who can read music.

Traditional ways of notation are better, I agree. But tablature is fine.

Slingshot
9th June 2007, 12:46
Just had a crack at the 2nd guitar piece....quite easy.

Here's how I had my fingers...then it's just a matter of picking the right string and then putting ya little finger on the e string on the 4th fret and then taking both ya little finger and ya index finger off the e string....then starting the whole thing again.

Drunken Monkey
9th June 2007, 18:23
I disagree...

Well I did only say 'supposed', there are always exceptions.

As is stands, I think your method is fine for training up and coming guitarists, but it probably isn't going to make their musical skills as transferable (except to maybe bass guitar) as traditional teaching would. Not that there's inherently anything wrong with that, they may have no intent on doing so (each to their own).

I'm certainly no axe-man, although I've been playing since I was about 12, I've had gaps where I didn't touch a guitar, I've never really pushed my skill limits and my practice is...well...sporadic. However, I beleive that my 'traditional' notation background has made it easier for me to transition. Granted I haven't touched a piano for ages as well, but I only need a bit of practice to get back into the swing of it. I've started doing drums now as well, I've noticed drum tab is quite similar to standard notation, it about as easy to read either.

I also think learning traditional music notation is a useful skill to have when you're planning playing with others, i.e. in a band, but can't always get time together. You should be able to get your part right without having to spend much time with your fellow band members, certainly more easily than with tab.

I saying that, I'm lazy and use tabs all the time myself.

The Lone Rider
9th June 2007, 19:16
Well I did only say 'supposed', there are always exceptions.

As is stands, I think your method is fine for training up and coming guitarists, but it probably isn't going to make their musical skills as transferable (except to maybe bass guitar) as traditional teaching would. Not that there's inherently anything wrong with that, they may have no intent on doing so (each to their own).

I'm certainly no axe-man, although I've been playing since I was about 12, I've had gaps where I didn't touch a guitar, I've never really pushed my skill limits and my practice is...well...sporadic. However, I beleive that my 'traditional' notation background has made it easier for me to transition. Granted I haven't touched a piano for ages as well, but I only need a bit of practice to get back into the swing of it. I've started doing drums now as well, I've noticed drum tab is quite similar to standard notation, it about as easy to read either.

I also think learning traditional music notation is a useful skill to have when you're planning playing with others, i.e. in a band, but can't always get time together. You should be able to get your part right without having to spend much time with your fellow band members, certainly more easily than with tab.

I saying that, I'm lazy and use tabs all the time myself.

I teach my students tab, stave, and play by ear right from the beginning. Stave music takes dominance, and classical music is what I teach from the beginning unless otherwise asked.

Didnt you know? I'm a rock star!! Ask Deviant Esq :P

:rockon:

Edit--

P.S.

It's beers o clock.

Disco Dan
10th June 2007, 23:56
Just had a crack at the 2nd guitar piece....quite easy.

Here's how I had my fingers...then it's just a matter of picking the right string and then putting ya little finger on the e string on the 4th fret and then taking both ya little finger and ya index finger off the e string....then starting the whole thing again.

Cheers for that, will keep trying!