PDA

View Full Version : Clutch rattle - '89 CBR400RR

breakaway
8th June 2007, 10:46
Hello,

Some of you may have seen my other thread (Buying 89' CBR400RR, needs overhaul)

Anyway, my question is regarding the clutch:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H1mowDh8Svg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H1mowDh8Svg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

If you listen closely, you can hear a rattling when I pull the clutch. Sorry it's dark, but sound is all you need.

Does anyone know what's causing this? According to the current owner, a bearing is worn. But according to the mechanic, when a clutch breaks, it doesn't usually make noise when you pull it in, only when you let it out. That's all he could tell me over the phone.

Anyone?

westie
6th July 2007, 22:24
Hi the thrust bearing could be the noise. Its relatively easy to pull the clutch apart and inspect/clean. pm me if you need a hand tommorrow so you can be ready for the coro loop:scooter:

vagrant
7th July 2007, 05:26
Your noise is coming from a worn clutch basket and or friction plates.
When you pull the clutch lever, it loads the thrust bearing and releases the pressure on the friction plates.
If the thrust bearing is worn, you should feel it as a faint juddering thru the clutch lever.
As the plates are no longer pressed together, they can move around a little, especially if the fingers on the basket and the plates themselves are a bit tired. This makes the rattly noise.
It not a big deal until the clutch starts slipping, but it is telling you its time to start pricing up some new bits.
Or you tell everyone its a flash harry dry plate ducati clutch. (the rattle of a 900 superlight dry clutch could be heard a set of lights away as you tried to get the bugger into neutral!)

roadracingoldfart
7th July 2007, 08:06
Or you tell everyone its a flash harry dry plate ducati clutch. (the rattle of a 900 superlight dry clutch could be heard a set of lights away as you tried to get the bugger into neutral!)

Ahhh the sweet sound of a desmodronic concrete mixer at idle.
Ill have 2 metres of 20 mpa over here please !! :shutup:

breakaway
9th July 2007, 18:03
Rattle seems to be fixed, that went away after an oil change (serviced)

Also, there was a vibration when I got it over 5000 RPM. This is also fixed. Turns out it wasn't actually the clutch at all. I went over to vvesty's, and we deduced that the rattling was coming from a spacer that was stuck in between the pipes (Where the 4 pipes come together into 1) on the outside of the pipes. Removing that seems all smooth now.