PDA

View Full Version : Clicking sound.

s8306
8th June 2007, 13:19
Hi guys.I,ve got an 06 s83 boulevard[1400] which has a clicking/rattleing sound coming from what would appear to be the top of the front cylinder.The only time i hear this sound is just before the engine reaches idle speed when coming to a stop and then disappears at idle.I.ve been told that i might have a crook tappet but the noise dose,nt appear till after it,s well and truely warmed up and then only does it as i,ve described.I had the mechanic where i bought it have a listen and he said it,s nothing to worry about but i thought i,d ask here and see if anyone might be able to shed some light on it before i take it back to him next week.Cheers.

mark247
9th June 2007, 22:22
loose or crook tappet. my best guess. probably is nothing to worry about, but its such a new bike you wouldnt expect it to have such a problem.

s8306
11th June 2007, 08:54
loose or crook tappet. my best guess. probably is nothing to worry about, but its such a new bike you wouldnt expect it to have such a problem.

If i get the revs just right while stationary you can hear it rattling away and then disappears as i increase the revs.I,ve been told that if it is a tappet problem the noise would be there from start up,but the engine sounds fine when cold with the rattle coming on when warm.

Paul in NZ
11th June 2007, 08:57
Unless its a hydraulic tappet. They can fail to pump up sometimes and rattle. Usually dirty oil or high mileage is the problem but some designs are notorious for it..

There will be an owners forum some place with info...

Cheers

s8306
11th June 2007, 10:08
Unless its a hydraulic tappet. They can fail to pump up sometimes and rattle. Usually dirty oil or high mileage is the problem but some designs are notorious for it..

There will be an owners forum some place with info...

Cheers

Yep the tappets are hydraulic.The bikes only got around 11k on it and oil is changed every 3k.Iasked the same question on the intruder site and got basically the same answer i,ve got here which looks like it might be a tappet problem which is unusual for this model so i,m told.Am takeing the bike back to the dealer this weekend to let them have another listen and should be able to get things sorted as the bikes still under warranty.Cheers.

Paul in NZ
11th June 2007, 10:14
Some oils are better than others at preventing this so that might be something to investigate..

s8306
11th June 2007, 13:30
Some oils are better than others at preventing this so that might be something to investigate..

Started doing it when useing motul semi synth during break in period so switched to amsoil after 6k which appeared to fix it but has returned.Dont know if it is oil related as both oils are pretty good,i think i might have copped a dodgey lifter from time of manufacture.

Grub
11th June 2007, 13:40
If i get the revs just right while stationary you can hear it rattling away and then disappears as i increase the revs.

It should still be under warranty, take it to an authorised Boulevard dealer, don't piss around with it.

You have a right to expect it to not have mechanical problems when so young. That right overrides any limitations in manufacturers warranty

Paul in NZ
11th June 2007, 13:51
Started doing it when useing motul semi synth during break in period so switched to amsoil after 6k which appeared to fix it but has returned.Dont know if it is oil related as both oils are pretty good,i think i might have copped a dodgey lifter from time of manufacture.

In any vehicle I've had (cars) with hydro tappets it was always a sign it was time to change the oil!

cheers

okeh
11th June 2007, 19:44
Alot of engines with hydraulic lifters do it because of a bad design on the lifters. Usually the little checkvalve is to small and takes awhile for the lifter to fill with oil, on some cars you can use the lifters from the next model up which have usually being re-designed.

moT
11th June 2007, 19:50
try talking to the bike nicely if that fails scream at the top of ur lungs and bash ur bike with a peice of wood, kick it, punch it, verbaly abuse it.. yeah that should fix it..

s8306
12th June 2007, 12:14
It should still be under warranty, take it to an authorised Boulevard dealer, don't piss around with it.

You have a right to expect it to not have mechanical problems when so young. That right overrides any limitations in manufacturers warranty

Doing that this weekend mate.Cheers.

s8306
12th June 2007, 12:21
Alot of engines with hydraulic lifters do it because of a bad design on the lifters. Usually the little checkvalve is to small and takes awhile for the lifter to fill with oil, on some cars you can use the lifters from the next model up which have usually being re-designed.

Interesting,but would,nt it rattle on first start up and not when warm,engine sounds nice when cold and starts to rattle after 1 or 2 ks.

s8306
12th June 2007, 12:23
try talking to the bike nicely if that fails scream at the top of ur lungs and bash ur bike with a peice of wood, kick it, punch it, verbaly abuse it.. yeah that should fix it..

Or stuff it completely.