PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia SL750 Shiver

Hitcher
8th June 2007, 13:24
Something new and Italian for your enjoyment!

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/06june07_2007aprilia_sl750shiver.htm

Devil
8th June 2007, 13:54
I'd been waiting for a review of this bike for a while. Would be interested in the factory version...

Storm
8th June 2007, 14:21
Not my cuppa re looks, but should be a goer from that photo.
(Thus displaying my extensive bike analysis skills :) )

James Deuce
8th June 2007, 14:39
Not likely to be under $20K according to distributor and dealer and unlikely to be imported as a result. I'd buy a Tuono if I had to spend that money.

Edit: Forgot to put in there that I was dead keen the moment I saw the Milan show pictures of the SL, thinking that I might be able to stump up for one in 2008. Hassled the Aprilia dealer and the Distributor to be told the above. Bit of a shame because given its budget aspirations it should be a competitor for the Zed, the Er6, the SV650, the Hornet 600, the GSR600, and the Bandit 650.

But it isn't.

Bugger

Pwalo
8th June 2007, 14:47
Looks disturbingly like a cross between a ER6 and an SV650 N.

Supposed to go all right and be very easy to ride, but I'd bet on it being a wee bit pricey.

The Pastor
8th June 2007, 15:15
i'd test ride it first, but for the money i'd rather a 2nd rsvr :D :D :D

Krayy
8th June 2007, 15:32
Not likely to be under $20K according to distributor and dealer and unlikely to be imported as a result. I'd buy a Tuono if I had to spend that money.

Bugger the Tuono, I'd have enough for the Buell XB12STT and the pillion seat kit :scooter:

It IS dead sexy though/

40, here I come!!

Mr. Peanut
8th June 2007, 17:58
COOL!

I was just thinking today that 750cc is the perfect size for a sporting twin.

Buy one from the UK or US for 15k then import yerself.

James Deuce
8th June 2007, 20:54
Buy one from the UK or US for 15k then import yerself.

The days where that saved you money are well and truly gone. The US version will ending costing quite a bit more because you need to replace the headlight unit as it dips the wrong way. It looks like it will be between 5500 and 5999 pounds in the UK. By the time you ship it here and register it, you may as well have bought a Tuono or a KTM Super Duke
http://www.onyerbike.net/aprilia/shiverinfo.pdf

http://www.onyerbike.net/aprilia/shivertech.pdf

Still a bit keen though. I really like the styling.

MD
8th June 2007, 21:55
Good to see another manufacturer getting into the mid-size twin market.
Finally I will have something to compare the F800 against i.e. a mid-sized euro twin. Shit a brick, a BEARS mid-size race class might suit me! Do they have such a class already?
Aprilia's design brief must have read very similar to the F800;- mid sized twin, with long service intervals, economical, functional and easy to ride blah blah.
The Aprilia PR spin is a bit over the top though. "Once again an Aprilia twin sets new technology and performance standards in its class" Not sure how they measured that? Admittedly the beemer is 50cc more.
BMW 97hp at the crank 183kg dry
Shiver 95hp at the crank 189kg dry
Atleast now the magazines will be able to advance to a two bike comparo.
There has been a Guzzi 750 twin about for years but you don't see or hear anything of them???

Hitcher
8th June 2007, 22:42
There has been a Guzzi 750 twin about for years but you don't see or hear anything of them???

That would be the Breva. Nowhere near as much HP as the Beemer or the Aprilia.

RantyDave
9th June 2007, 06:00
Not likely to be under $20K according to distributor and dealer and unlikely to be imported as a result.
Sheeesh, too much. It's a shame because the market for "street" 600's that are a notch above the SV650/ER6 first-bike-after-my-250 is just starting to look interesting.

Mind you, it costs about the same as a Buell...

Dave

limbimtimwim
10th June 2007, 15:27
http://www.apriliashiver.com/

Great website though!

YLWDUC
10th June 2007, 18:22
Not likely to be under $20K according to distributor and dealer and unlikely to be imported as a result.

5500 - 6000 quid works out on todays exchange rate to be around $15,000 kiwi. I guess all those carbon credits in importing are working against us. That, or someone is out to make a shitload of money importing other bikes into the country.

And speaking of exchange rates, the Hyosungs shot up about 500 due to a poor exchange rate last year. Now that the dollar is around 75 us cents, how come the prices haven't dropped?

James Deuce
10th June 2007, 18:29
5500 - 6000 quid works out on todays exchange rate to be around $15,000 kiwi. I guess all those carbon credits in importing are working against us. That, or someone is out to make a shitload of money importing other bikes into the country.

And speaking of exchange rates, the Hyosungs shot up about 500 due to a poor exchange rate last year. Now that the dollar is around 75 us cents, how come the prices haven't dropped?

Everyone seems to forget that the tyranny of distance and a small population tend to make limited number imports (which a 750 twin with basic suspension and no fairing will necessarily be in NZ) an uneconomic proposition for the distributor. NZers buy bikes on ego more than anything else.

You're only looking at the exchange rate. You're ignoring shipping, GST, Duty, Compliance (it would have to be done as a special I would imagine), and registration. It all adds up really quickly.

The Hyosungs have stayed up because the sales figures stayed the same and the dealers are making about 1% more on a sale. Bike sales margins on new stock are miserable the world over.

nudemetalz
10th June 2007, 19:10
http://www.apriliashiver.com/

Great website though!

Damn, that's a hot pic.
Then again, Italians know how to put passion with motorcycles...(and no I'm not biased...okay,..well a little then).

limbimtimwim
10th June 2007, 19:14
Damn, that's a hot pic.
Then again, Italians know how to put passion with motorcycles...(and no I'm not biased...okay,..well a little then).Seems that everyone else is too PC these days to just shove some naked woman (The bike is a naked, right?) around the bike. Watch the video on the website, nipples, boobs, ass. Fantastic.

Krayy
10th July 2007, 19:09
I gave Mike at Mt Eden M/Cycles a call today and got the following out of him:

Due date: October. They'll bet getting a Silver one, a Black one and a Black demo (bags first)

Colours: Silver, Black, Blue, (Sexy) Orange, White

and finally.............

Cost: $17,995 + ORC
(take that Ducati)

I'll take mine in l'orange thanks :yes:

limbimtimwim
10th July 2007, 19:42
Still kinda pricy.

On paper it does compare quite well with the Ducati Hypermotard (Which is lighter!!) But I suspect the attitude is a bit different.

Someone gimme the keys to both for a weekend and I'll tell you what is better.

I guess Aprilia are hoping people will take it for a ride and think 'Fuck the FZ6/Hornet/GSR600/Zed I'll spend more for something heaps cooler'. And maybe resale values will be better.

Sensei
10th July 2007, 20:13
Still kinda pricy.

On paper it does compare quite well with the Ducati Hypermotard

The Ducati is a 1100cc motor against a 750cc

limbimtimwim
10th July 2007, 20:33
The Ducati is a 1100cc motor against a 750ccYes, I know. CCs are not everything!

Ducati claims to make less horsepower. Ducati also claim more torque, and it weighs less. It's a 2 valve per cylinder aircooled engine. The Shiver engine was designed in this century.

Other factors in the engine and gearing could mean the Shiver is faster, or slower, or the same in a straight line.

So what one is more fun around corners?

Krayy
10th July 2007, 22:42
...On paper it does compare quite well with the Ducati Hypermotard (Which is lighter!!) But I suspect the attitude is a bit different....
The Shiver is direct competition to the Monster S2/S4 series rather than Hypermotard, and at that price, has a lot more bling factor than an FZ6, SV650 or Z1000

marty1035
19th July 2007, 11:44
Aprilia and Moto Guzzi, under Piaggio ownership, have injected some real personality and quality into their bikes. If the Shiver is finished anywhere near the brilliant level of quality of my recently departed Griso, then they will have a winner on their hands. Perhaps not so much here in NZ where most buyers choose cheaper options. I guess it's only natural to expect a small importer to inflate prices. Still it's not as bad as the outrageous prices charged in NZ for Harley and Triumph. Talk about fleecing the customer.