PDA

View Full Version : Busted head gasket? Or just over reacting?

Nat
9th June 2007, 17:16
Since the weather's pretty rubbish I haven't had much chance to ride my bike lately, so today I decided to give it a clean. While cleaning I noticed something in the egine oil sight glass. It looks like my oils been emulsified, so I'm really worried about it! Do you think I've got a busted head gasket or similar? Or maybe just haven't been on a decent ride lately enough to boil off the regular contaminants in the oil?

Here's a pic of the sight glass

Nat
9th June 2007, 17:25
I checked under the radiator cap and its fine under there, no sign of any oil in the water, just water in the oil so far.

onearmedbandit
9th June 2007, 17:29
I wouldn't be too concerned. There may be a little condensation in the crankcase, a good ride should sort that out. You could always do an oil change if you're really concerned.

Spuds1234
10th June 2007, 00:35
My bike does this.

Dont shit your pants like I did. Its just condensation in the crankcase as Onearmedbandit says.

Take your bike for a ride and it will disapear, only to return later on. Its normal apparently.

Nat
10th June 2007, 13:29
Sweet! Thanks heaps guys. I guess I'm just a bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to my baby! I :love: my bike

Clean bill of health is very good to hear!

Tim 39
12th June 2007, 07:55
another good way to tell, is if its a blown head gasket, heaps of stem will come out your exhaust even after the usual cold morning steam has gone

peasea
12th June 2007, 13:06
Since the weather's pretty rubbish I haven't had much chance to ride my bike lately, so today I decided to give it a clean. While cleaning I noticed something in the egine oil sight glass. It looks like my oils been emulsified, so I'm really worried about it! Do you think I've got a busted head gasket or similar? Or maybe just haven't been on a decent ride lately enough to boil off the regular contaminants in the oil?

Here's a pic of the sight glass

As the others have said, without any sign of oil in your coolant or loss of coolant then the most likely cause is condensation. Again repeating others' comments, you could try a longish ride to boil it off and re-check, but then if your oil has done more than a couple/three thousand clicks, bin it (and the filter) to be on the safe side. I've seen what moisture contamination can do to bearing surfaces; it ain't pretty. Weigh up the cost of new engine bearings over the cost of an oil change.

Using your bike more might prevent the problem coming back; good excuse to get out and about huh?