PDA

View Full Version : Getting a cage licence

Str8 Jacket
9th June 2007, 20:21
Quite a few people having been trying to convince me to get my cage licence this year. I only have a (full) motorcycle licence and am not really interested in getting my cage licence. My mates have come up with some convincing arguments like for work, bad weather etc but im not totally convinced. Thought id see what you guys thought. Is iot really worthwhile having a cage licence or not?

skidMark
9th June 2007, 20:31
in all honesty yes well worth it, at least your restricted as i have found many a time if you ever want a job/ pick up a bike, get a bike to the track etc, it comes in handy

i got turned down for jobs in the past because at the time i only had a car learners.

get your license, you may use it rarely, but when you need it at least you will have it.

Mom
9th June 2007, 20:36
The trusty 4 wheel license is a handy thing to have.........It may not be important now but can make life a shit load easier later.........just cos you can legally drive a car does not mean you have to, it just becomes another option really.

Str8 Jacket
9th June 2007, 21:17
One of my problems is that ive ssen what a danger that I can be too myself on a bike, imagine what I could do in a cage! :shit:

Delphinus
9th June 2007, 21:21
Just get the numbers on your license, for when you need them... but doesn't mean you have to actually get in the cage more than bare minimum.

Mom
9th June 2007, 21:23
Dont be silly!! :love:

Your experience of learning to ride a bike, is nothing compared to learning to drive a car.

The biggest plus here is as a car driver you will now have a much better understanding of the 2 wheeled users on the road, both from a personal perspective :innocent: , and from the learned advice that you glean from here :yes:

Str8 Jacket
9th June 2007, 21:24
Dont be silly!! :love:

Your experience of learning to ride a bike, is nothing compared to learning to drive a car.

The biggest plus here is as a car driver you will now have a much better understanding of the 2 wheeled users on the road, both from a personal perspective :innocent: , and from the learned advice that you glean from here :yes:

Ive only ever driven a cage twice, I crashed into a tree the firsttime and wrote off the second car!

Mom
9th June 2007, 21:26
Ive only ever driven a cage twice, I crashed into a tree the firsttime and wrote off the second car!

Minor details!!!!

Go out there and DO IT!!!

yod
9th June 2007, 22:17

????

how the hell do you keep a bike on the road then??

Colapop
9th June 2007, 22:22
Quite a few people having been trying to convince me to get my cage licence this year. I only have a (full) motorcycle licence and am not really interested in getting my cage licence. My mates have come up with some convincing arguments like for work, bad weather etc but im not totally convinced. Thought id see what you guys thought. Is iot really worthwhile having a cage licence or not?

got a car? if yiu don't then you can'ty dribve one

Shadows
9th June 2007, 22:42
What they all said. Go for it!

I'd disagree...

Personally I think the biggest advantage for a biker to have a car licence (and experience) is that you know what cars are capable of, and have experience of what driving is like. I used to race up lane splitting everywhere until one day in the car some bike tore past my window, and I'd never even seen him coming, and I'd say I'm a good driver.

For this reason above all others, knowing your enemy, I'd suggest getting a car licence and some driving experience.

Mr Merde
10th June 2007, 01:02
I'm 50 years old.

Got my bike licence 2 weeks after I turned 15 (full licence then).

Never got around to getting a licence for a car.

Been thinking about it lately as my bones are starting to feel my age.

Go for it as it will give you other options.

Mr :shit:

Gremlin
10th June 2007, 01:42
...and I'd say I'm a good driver.
well there's a surprise... I don't think many NZ drivers would say they are crap tho, would they?

I have a full bike, car learners, and I can sit the restricted... except I don't have access to a manual (if you use an auto, your license is restricted accordingly - apparently) vehicle to learn how to do all that weird shit like parking, reversing, not splitting as soon as traffic slows etc :innocent:

I do believe it could be handy tho. Just think if something happened, and someone was needed to drive the vehicle. You also need to consider the time frame involved in getting a license.

The Pastor
10th June 2007, 09:58
I'm 50 years old.

Got my bike licence 2 weeks after I turned 15 (full licence then).

Never got around to getting a licence for a car.

Been thinking about it lately as my bones are starting to feel my age.

Go for it as it will give you other options.

Mr :shit:

I didn't realise you were an old basterd! I would give you some green for not driving cars, but the mods took it away from me!

Str8, get it if you want it, It may be useful for work and its only like $100 bucks so theres not really a reason NOT to get it, having the licence doesnt mean you have to drive :).

I hate driving, but I hate being the passenger in the car also.

blacksheep
10th June 2007, 10:07
didn't get a license to drive a car until i was 28,it was then esential as i needed a way to get my new born son around the place if mum was at work,since then have found it invaluable, its opened up more jobs ie makes you more employable and is just very handy,i say go for it you have everything to gain.

well there's a surprise... I don't think many NZ drivers would say they are crap tho, would they?

Good thing I'm not an NZ Driver then isn't it... I've still got that little piece of plastic issued by the DVLA that says I've passed a rigourous test of my driving skills.

Mr Merde
10th June 2007, 13:59
I didn't realise you were an old basterd! ..........:).

As old as the hills and as ugly as sin.

Living proof that only the good die young !!

sunhuntin
10th June 2007, 15:35
i dont have mine, and have no intention of getting it. wouldnt have a clue how to drive either. i wouldnt even know how to start it up. lol. first time i tried to ride a quad bike, i got a closer look at a tree trunk than i liked. two wheels is plenty for me

caesius
10th June 2007, 17:31
Tell me, does the license coding work the other way round if you get your bike license before a cage one?

i.e. If you have your bike full, and you get a cage learners, are you issued with a blue Learner's License?

Gremlin
10th June 2007, 17:59
i.e. If you have your bike full, and you get a cage learners, are you issued with a blue Learner's License?
yes... your license is always coloured to the lowest... ie, learners over restricted over full, so I have a blue license... despite having a bike full.

Cops can mistakes over that, but I haven't had one yet think I was riding on a learners bike...

caesius
10th June 2007, 18:11
Must be a pain in the ass trying to rent a car overseas on a car full/bike learners.

"But sir, look down the bottom, 1/6L is totally unambiguous, how can you not see I've got a full license?"

Issue separate licenses for each class I say.

Chickadee
10th June 2007, 18:38
I think it wouldn't hurt to have a cage license, it gives you more options like:

* Work options
* If you have kids in the future you'll need a cage -babyseats etc
* If you need to tow a bike trailer
* If you want to transport lots of stuff you can use a cage

Motorbikes are more fun to ride but cages are handy for some things.

kro
10th June 2007, 20:41
I never sat my cage license, it was given to me by the fine admins at the Greenlane cop shop all those years ago. Basically a clerical error in my favour, but twas no biggie, as I had piloted vehicles successfully on my own since age 11.

I have 4 license endorsements now, I'm trying to catch my dad, who has everything bar taxi.

rwh
10th June 2007, 22:23
It's a really handy thing to have, and you can't get one in a hurry when you need one.

You mentioned having driven twice; have you got your learners? I've given my flatmate a few lessons, and would be happy to go for a drive in my car - auto unfortunately, but you know about clutches and gears.

Richard
PS. I'd have to check on insurance status, if my memory serves me right about your age ...

Lias
11th June 2007, 10:59

Tehehehehe.. That SO reminds me of when one of my flatmates tried to teach me to drive years ago.

We were on the way back to the flat one day when he pulls into a side road, and declares that he's going to make me drive the rest of the way home, despite me never having driven at all.

Needless to say within the first few hundred meters I'd come round a corner back onto the main road, found myself in the wrong lane with oncoming traffic cos I didn't turn hard enough. He panicked and grabbed the stearing wheel whilst I panicked and hit the accelerator. We shot left back into the left lane, mounted the curb (which was a really high one, denting his wheel, damaging the power steerting mounts, and breaking the exhaust at the manifold) zigzagged down the footpath narrowly missing some powerpoles, and came to rest on the side of the road with my adrenaline surging and my flatmate looking as white as a sheet.

Good times..

Seriously though go for your cage license. I'm working on my restricted at the moment, purely because Its basically mandatory for any promotion at work. Just got to work on my reversing into driveways and looking around more and I'm set I think. Instructor says I use the mirrors far too much in the cage and cages have big blindspots in the mirrors..

Str8 Jacket
11th June 2007, 17:13
Cheers guy's. Im almost convinced that I should probably get my cage licence. I know that I can drive a car and I know that getting my learners is easy. Im also in a position where I can almost halve the licence period to my full as I am over 25 and already hold a Full D/licence.
Is there anyone here who only has say a full bike licence but has been pulled over driving a cage? Have the copppers that pulled you over actually checked to see what class of licence you have or not? What sort of fine am I looking at? Is this the kind of offence that you can lose your licence for?

Mom
11th June 2007, 17:33
Cheers guy's. Im almost convinced that I should probably get my cage licence. I know that I can drive a car and I know that getting my learners is easy. Im also in a position where I can almost halve the licence period to my full as I am over 25 and already hold a Full D/licence.

So go on out and do it!! Bit of old fogey advice here, you will regret not going to get your car license the first time you have small children/baby that you have to put on a bus or train to go and do the grogercy shopping, take them to a doctor etc. Even if your future does not have children in it, imagine wanting to go out somewhere special (read you need to have the trusty glad rags on and be all girly) the effect will be totally spoiled when you put your gear on and hop on the trusty scooter....:yes:

As to the penalties for driving without the correct license, not sure about the legal ones, but you wont have insurance for sure...go on you know you want to really..:sunny:

Str8 Jacket
11th June 2007, 17:35
But, but Moooom! Seriously though, id have no evcuse not to be sober driver anymore! :innocent:

Mom
11th June 2007, 17:39
just start drinking before you go out, then no worries, you cant be the sober driver at all.......LOL

Oh i just used my outside voice there I am afraid....

Shadows
11th June 2007, 17:45
Is there anyone here who only has say a full bike licence but has been pulled over driving a cage? Have the copppers that pulled you over actually checked to see what class of licence you have or not? What sort of fine am I looking at? Is this the kind of offence that you can lose your licence for?

Wrong class of license $400, and probably some demerits too.
They would radio your details through and be told straight away what class of license you had so you would be lucky to get away with it.
I think anybody who has survived the graduated license system on a bike should be fast tracked through the cage license but that would be too commonsensical. Not sure if that is a word or not but I'm keeping it.

Str8 Jacket
11th June 2007, 17:47
Wrong class of license $400, and probably some demerits too.
They would radio your details through and be told straight away what class of license you had so you would be lucky to get away with it.
I think anybody who has survived the graduated license system on a bike should be fast tracked through the cage license but that would be too commonsensical. Not sure if that is a word or not but I'm keeping it.

Thats the most convincing answer I have heard! I cant afford to drive with the wrong class of licence!

MrMelon
11th June 2007, 17:52
Thats the most convincing answer I have heard! I cant afford to drive with the wrong class of licence!

Yeah get your full, it'll be a handy thing for you to have.. never know when you'll want or need to drive in the future and it's way easier sorting it now when there's no pressure. $120ish for the license is way cheaper than $400 where you get nothing! I'm sure you'd be a much better driver than most after riding for this long too.

Str8 Jacket
11th June 2007, 18:22
Yeah get your full, it'll be a handy thing for you to have.. never know when you'll want or need to drive in the future and it's way easier sorting it now when there's no pressure. $120ish for the license is way cheaper than $400 where you get nothing! I'm sure you'd be a much better driver than most after riding for this long too.

So if I got my licence you'd let me drive your car then?...

rwh
11th June 2007, 18:29

I know that I can drive a car

Hmm ...

I am over 25

Oh, I thought you were younger than that. No probs with my insurance then, if you do want some practice.

Richard

Str8 Jacket
12th June 2007, 17:27
Oh, I thought you were younger than that.

Thanks! :love: