PDA

View Full Version : An embarrassing typo

Beemer
10th June 2007, 11:40
I was just reading a Reuters story on Stuff (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4090420a4560.html). Have a closer read of the last sentence. Isn't that what Big Brother got into trouble for?

Job seeker rejected due to 'racist dog'
Reuters | Sunday, 10 June 2007

A Belgian businessman rejected a Nigerian job applicant because the businessman said his own dog was racist and would bite non-whites, Belgian media has reported.

The 53-year-old Nigerian man told De Standaard newspaper he arrived at the Belgian's wrought-iron business and was immediately confronted by the barking dog.

The Belgian turned the man away before he could even enter, and wrote on his labour office letter that he could not hire the man because of his colour, adding there was a risk the dog would bite him.

The local labour office has concluded that the Belgian was racist and has removed him from its list of potential employers.

"My dog is racist. Not me," the Belgian told De Standaard.

The Nigerian, who has lived in Belgium for 32 years, said it was not the first time he had been rejected for a job because of his colour, although other employers had been more subtle.

He told the newspaper that he did not wish to lodge a formal complaint because he did not wish his family in Niggeria to hear about the case.

SlashWylde
10th June 2007, 12:16
Curiously, the dog in our flat has a thing about folks from India. She's normally a lovely happy friendly dog but she gets very aggressive when she spots an Indian.

She was rescued by the SPCA (was abandoned tied to a tree with no food) so is possible she harbours aggression to the types wot left her there...

James Deuce
10th June 2007, 12:19
He told the newspaper that he did not wish to lodge a formal complaint because he did not wish his family in Niggeria to hear about the case.

Just generally indicative of "News" being nothing more than entertainment, not a well crafted, carefully edited, day to day record of modern civilisation.

Skunk
10th June 2007, 12:20
Our dog didn't like anybody that put stuff in our letterbox. Ferk knows where that came from.

She didn't like old people either. WTF?

Hitcher
11th June 2007, 20:08
A few weeks ago we distributed a newsletter to every household in Upper Hutt advising people that we would soon be "erecting pubic notices". I suspect action under the provisions of the Consumer Guarantees Act will soon be pending...

Curious_AJ
11th June 2007, 20:18
hmm.. typos... stuff.co.nz is famous for those...

Patrick
11th June 2007, 21:47
heh... our Shepherds barked at everyone, but if a dark skinned person came in, they would go absolutely mental... dunno why, as dads work mates were Maori, Samoan and Tongan and visited often, which is how we could see the difference in attitude from the dogs. There is some truth in the employers story, but been bent for media gain is my guess.....

scumdog
11th June 2007, 21:53
heh... our Shepherds barked at everyone, but if a dark skinned person came in, they would go absolutely mental... dunno why, as dads work mates were Maori, Samoan and Tongan and visited often, which is how we could see the difference in attitude from the dogs. There is some truth in the employers story, but been bent for media gain is my guess.....

Had same story here : "The dogs ALWAYS bark at cops"

"Well they didn't bark at me then, why not?"

"Aw, only white ones bro"

"But I AM white, how come they never barked"?

"Awe, they never knew that eh, not even eh?"

R6_kid
11th June 2007, 22:01
I had a very placid old dog, you could rile him up a bit if you felt like it, but he was more of the follow you round and sit next to you kind of dog than the lets go chase sticks and tenis balls kind of dog.

I'd hang out with the neighbours kids in a field across from where we lived as there wasnt much to do around home (didnt have computers or playstations (not even a sega) back then)... their dad used to make an effort to freak our dog out, so that he was in a barking fit and ready to kill (or do his best to) my friends father.

It was no suprise to my parents one day when my mate came over and our 'little' (barely a foot high) dog went into spaz mode and mauled the neighbours son. The dog hated maoris from that day on, no exceptions.

Curious_AJ
11th June 2007, 22:16
dogs are complex, a lot of the time they make weird associations with things...

same with using shock collars, they often male an association iwth a thing other than what you want them to associate the shock with.. like small fluffy dogs walking past... therefore they maul them because small dog=pain to them.. and some such things...