PDA

View Full Version : Where do I sit at Phillip Island?

Swima
10th June 2007, 17:02
OK ,got the Plane tickets, :scooter: Hotel booked,even the bus tickets ,but where do you suggest I get a place to park my bum at Phillip Island for the Moto Gp.Which Grandstand or General Admission ???

rustys
10th June 2007, 18:29
Swima. Everytime i've been found Lukey Heights grandstand a good spot, it also has the big screen to watch the racing on as well. Last time we went they had the motorX stunt guys doing there thing right behind the stand. every one to there own, we also got a 3 day pass as well, you will find there is plenty happening. Cheers enjoy your selves wish i could be going, but will be doing a month in the Aussy outback on trail bike's instead.:sunny:

Swima
10th June 2007, 19:29
Thanks Rustys.What about Siberia?Have heard its a good spot

F5 Dave
11th June 2007, 10:30
I've been a few times. First few were with non grandstand tickets so found a decent place by the fence on raceday (bottom of Lukey is good) but be there early, expect to lose seat, but get sorted for main race. Take a Small fold up stool with arm strap. If you are getting grandstand tickets we did Luky but then Siberia. Preferred Siberia for Grandstand as you can see more of the race, there is usually a decent screen in sight.

The practice days just walk around & see the cct & the show.

Australia is hot right? Well it can be, but the wind can come off the ocean & cool things down heinously. Take a pack so you can store wets if it rains, & it can, trust me. Best pick is a tarpaulin for if it is windy or wet esp in grandstands.

If there are publicity girls wandering around in groups, don't stand & gawk. Push yourself in the middle & insist they pose for a picture. Don't give the camera to the prettiest one though, that's just stupid.

Bykmad
11th June 2007, 10:38
Been there quite a few times and have found that Lukey Heights is the best, but Siberia is also pretty good and it also has a big screen.
Lukey Heights has a fantastic view of a lot of the circuit, Siberia from Southern loop, through to Lukey Heights, but Siberia has earnt its name the hard way. No matter where you go, make sure you have good wet weather gear available. Have see some great racing and great weather, but have also seen great racing (Philip Island doesnt provide bad racing) and some VERY cold and wet weather.

F5 Dave
11th June 2007, 10:44
Oh yeah, some small cheapo binoculars from DickSmith or Kathmandu are a good idea if you are in the grandstand so you can see far parts of the track. Not so useful if trackside as you aren't so high up. I figured if you are going there no point skimping on seats (as I did the first few years).

slinky
11th June 2007, 10:46
wish i was going!!
perhaps its something i might org for myself next year.

if you don't mind my asking. whats it costn ya?

Hailwood
11th June 2007, 11:02
Went last year and spent Friday and Saturday wandering around finding a good spot for Sunday................Siberia is it....fantastic views and the big screen in front of you. Get there early on Sunday though by 8.30am it as full...and yes it does get damn cold there as well....you will love it!!!!!!!!!!!

Keystone19
11th June 2007, 11:39
Did Lukey Heights last year, this year we're going to try Siberia. Pity it's such a hike to the pits though!

And yes, second that about warm clothing!

"D" FZ1
11th June 2007, 11:58
Siberia is awesome. Spend the first two days wandering around watching the practices from heaps of different places. A good spot is behind the support pits watching the bikes coming straight towards you into the hairpin then powering out of it heading away from you and power sliding all over the track. AWESOME.

Swima
12th June 2007, 19:53
Thanks very much
OK Thats it ..Sibreia.
I'm staying at a pub in Melborne and catching the bus out Sat & Sun.
I'm taking the Mrs as well but she's going shopping and doing all those girly things that girlys do
Cost so far
Ak 2 Melb 215
4 nite accom 528
Bus 4 sat/sun 76
Grandstand 275 thats for 3 days
total NZ $1094
than theres the trip home..we are off 2 perth

Thanks for all the tips
Can't wait:yes:

F5 Dave
13th June 2007, 13:28
ok last tip, don't stay in Melbourne & commute. Oh.

Well that's cool, just expect the ride to be pretty long esp on the way back after the race sunday. Take a book & have a pit-stop first & take food. It will take more than a while.

35tickets
14th June 2007, 08:41
Dude are you mad! Don't stay in Melbourne the bus trip takes ages each day. If you can swing it get campground tickets and stay with all the other bikers that go down there and camp. The weather in Oct can be wet and windy but keep your fingers crossed you wont be disappointed I do Superbikes every year in march and last MotoGP was '02 was fantastic. The campground has beer, firewood, food (a pretty rerasonably priced restaurant also) and live bands every night and then you can get a mini-bus down to Cowes and hang out with every other biker the restaurants are packed its a f*****ing great place. Seriously dude if you try stay at the island and hire a cheap car and drive down so if it rains you can have a dry place to store your stuff. I've been the island 8 times and never had anything touched or nicked and have made some great friends we meet every year in the same place at the campground F5 Dave is right don't commute you'll miss too much. Plus for the first time this year I went over to the Penguin Parade and that was really cool too Oh and finally Siberia is the place take a chair (Kmart $10-15 with a beer holder in the arm) a warm jacket a beenie or cap and binoculars AND have a great time!!!!

rogson
14th June 2007, 09:17
Dude are you mad! Don't stay in Melbourne.......

I agree. Last year we stayed in Frankston which is a decent sized town about halfway down the Bay. Travel time to the Island from there is about half of what it is from Melbourne. We stayed in a motel in town that had plenty of restaurants, pubs, etc with walking distance. We had a car but there were a couple of blokes in the motel that got to the Island by bus and ferry (sorry, don't know the details).

chris
14th June 2007, 11:36
Don't commute, stay on the island or as close as possible.
Siberia stand. Lukey Heights is good but you can't actually see the riders through the hairpin.
Take clothing for every type of weather you can imagine.
Be wary of waiting in line at the autograph stand, it's unlikely you'll make it to the front before the riders have to leave.
Wherever you buy merchandise, it's the same price. You can even get it at Melbourne airport.
Don't commute in from Melbourne.
The action in Cowes is not as good as it once was. Don't believe those who say you'll bump into the MotoGPriders in town.
Don't try and take alcohol into the circuit. Your bag is searched on entry.
Eating in Cowes on Saturday or Sunday night is a nightmare. There aren't that many places so stuff yourself during the day at the circuit as the food wagons are pretty good.
Beer costs the same at every circuit outlet.
Cross over to the support paddock via the pedestrian bridge during MotoGP practice and linger until a security guy asks you to move along. The noise is incredible and the whole bridge shakes as the bikes pass under, clicking into top about the same time.
Oh, and don't commute in from Melbourne.

Flyno
14th June 2007, 12:50
lukey hights!

Swima
14th June 2007, 13:28
Ohhhhh !!!!!
Its too darn late.Ive got a Mrs to take care of and thats part of the deal:headbang:
But next year..thinking about taking the scooter over and riding down from Sydney...without HER:rockon:
Hopefully everyone else takes notice of what you guys are saying
Its Been mighty helpfull

35tickets
14th June 2007, 23:06
Dude if it not too late would the Mrs prefer the luxurys of a campervan? Theres a campervan campground just over from the tented camping area. still easy walking distance to the track. Even though the ticket stubb says no fireworks the two campgrounds generally have a "whose got the best fireworks show" most nights. Expect also to see naked chicks and blokes riding around and generally lots of pissed people. But its all good. And if you cant get out of Melbourne you'll still enjoy the city its a very nice place, and Elizabeth street for at least half a mile of bike shops Brillient! Enjoy!

F5 Dave
15th June 2007, 10:23
Cowes used to be kickass party in the late 90s. Think I went 97 first time. Blocked off the road & people were doing naked wheelies up the hill dodging people, crazy! Masses of people & the sport seemed to be to climb the lamposts, often naked while people threw beer-cans. Next year they greased the poles. People still tried.

The Pizzeria place is great for simple pasta, have to get in early or expect to wait. Brushed past Kocksuskski, & heaps others, KR jun & other Suz members, Careless Chucker when he was with Malbr, Biaggi & others can't remember or didn't recognise (not a total train-spotter). Over later years didn't see as many.

One crazy wench we were with got Loris to come over (when we were stopped at McDs on the way down) & sit on her lap, then hit him up for some pit passes, at which point he ran off. Had a rather drunken natter to Crafer late one night at the IOWhite pub (only pub in Cowes), but was when he was a Ohlins tech. Nice guy, even though probably sick of telling the Dunlop to Michy 'what went wrong' story).

Nasty
18th June 2007, 09:41
WE may be able to catch up with you there Swima .. the Grub and I have just invested in tickets ... YAY!!!

Crasherfromwayback
18th June 2007, 10:17
Thanks very much
OK Thats it ..Sibreia.
I'm staying at a pub in Melborne and catching the bus out Sat & Sun.
I'm taking the Mrs as well but she's going shopping and doing all those girly things that girlys do
Cost so far
Ak 2 Melb 215
4 nite accom 528
Bus 4 sat/sun 76
Grandstand 275 thats for 3 days
total NZ $1094
than theres the trip home..we are off 2 perth

Thanks for all the tips
Can't wait:yes:

If you do stay in Melbourne......hire either a chopper or a small fixed wing plane. We did that last year.....23 mins flight to the track compared to 3-4 hours in a bus full of Australians??!!!!
It only cost us $185.00 ea return.

Swima
18th June 2007, 14:02
Hey Nasty,Yeah.I'll be a starter 4 that !.I guess its going to be thirsty work...Wot tickets did you get? I'm @ Siberia

Grub
18th June 2007, 17:05
Hey Nasty,Yeah.I'll be a starter 4 that !.I guess its going to be thirsty work...Wot tickets did you get? I'm @ Siberia

We're staying 35 mins from the track in Kilcunda and are getting Siberia tickets also ... we'll have to meet up for sure.