PDA

View Full Version : Augie Auer

Jantar
11th June 2007, 09:56
Many here will remember Augie from his time as weather presenter on TV.

There is no easy or gentle way to break this news but I have just learned that Augie Auer has died while having a meal with his family in a Melbourne restaurant. I have had contact with Augie on a number of occassions on matters relating to climate Research. My last email from him was on friday as he was about to leave home to catch a plane to Melbourne. He was looking forward to his trip, and even named the restaurant he would be visiting.

RIP Augie.

Trudes
11th June 2007, 09:58
RIP Augie.:bye:

Paul in NZ
11th June 2007, 10:17
RIP Augie! Always listened to what you had to say!

Thats a bummer, I liked the guy, he obviously had a passion for his work which is always nice to see.... (unless you are a criminal or an axe murderer...)

Cheers

Blackbird
11th June 2007, 10:21
Sorry to hear that. As Paul said, he had a passion for weather which he was able to pass on to the public.

RIP

FlangMasterJ
11th June 2007, 10:22
Todays forecast:

GLOOMY:bye:

Stickchick
11th June 2007, 10:22
RIP Augie :bye:

Lissa
11th June 2007, 10:27
Thats sad. :(

RIP

MSTRS
11th June 2007, 10:34
"Let's face it. No-one really knows when we're going to get a lot of rain."
RIP Augie

Lias
11th June 2007, 10:36
Many here will remember Augie from his time as weather presenter on TV.

Also more recently known for picking huge fights with NIWA over climate change.

RIP

scumdog
11th June 2007, 10:38
A man with common sense and logic.

RIP.Augie.

NOW who is going to keep the climate doom-sayers at bay??

Lias
11th June 2007, 10:49
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4091347a10.html

BREAKING NEWS: Former MetService chief meteorologist Augie Auer died suddenly in Melbourne last night.

Professor Auer died while dining with family, New Zealand Climate Science Coalition secretary Terry Dunleavy told NZPA today.

Bio at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_H._Auer%2C_Jr.

u4ea
11th June 2007, 11:07
sorry you lost a freind Jantar

RIP Augie:bye:

Sniper
11th June 2007, 11:09
RIP dude.....

MyGSXF
11th June 2007, 11:15
RIP Augie.. :bye: he was quite a character & definately passionate about his work!! :yes:

Condolances to his family!

James Deuce
11th June 2007, 11:48
That's a real shame. Who will maintain a scientific method approach to Climate Change in the face of mass media hysteria now?

sels1
11th June 2007, 12:07
Meet him a few times, he was a decent sort. Sorry to hear this news. Condolences to his family.

Indiana_Jones
11th June 2007, 12:14
RIP :(

now the climate change knobs will say global warming killed him.

-Indy

tri boy
11th June 2007, 12:19
RIP Augie.
Never knew the man, but was a likeable/lovable character "on the box".:yes:

MisterD
11th June 2007, 12:22
RIP :(

now the climate change knobs will say global warming killed him.

-Indy

The conspiracy theorists are already saying the the Global Warming peddlars had him offed....where was Al Gore at the time?

QMOTO
11th June 2007, 12:30
Very Sad news , he was the only weather guru in the country which I had respect for, particulary for facing the plonkers who follow the heard in relation to climate change.
Big Loss to NZ and the industry

Flatcap
11th June 2007, 13:06
The conspiracy theorists are already saying the the Global Warming peddlars had him offed....where was Al Gore at the time?

Making a Swiss money transfer to The Jackel?

chanceyy
11th June 2007, 15:10
sad peace of news ... esp to be of relative "youth" celebrating his 67th birthday & 35th wedding anniversary with his wife & family

RIP ..condolences to the family

Macktheknife
11th June 2007, 15:19
Bugger.... RIP Augie, hope the weather forecast is good where you are going mate, maybe you will get some answers to nagging questions while you're there.
Jantar, sorry for your loss mate.

avgas
11th June 2007, 16:23
that sucks. i always liked that guy. good attitude, good smarts.

spudchucka
11th June 2007, 16:43
I hope he's enjoying an endless "Blue Dome" day. RIP, he was a good bugger.

Hitcher
11th June 2007, 19:46
Gahh! Will those pro-climate-change facists stop at nothing to subvert the truth? Which state-owned enterprise was responsible for this latest tragedy?

You were a hero, Augie Auer. New Zealand has been enriched by your knowledge of and enthusiasm for meteorology.

Skunk
11th June 2007, 20:22
RIP. Liked the way he presented the weather. Without being technical you knew exactly what was going on.

Kornholio
11th June 2007, 20:34
The Rock had a nice tribute to him today with the tune of 'take the weather with you' by crowded house with interviews they had done with him :D

Hitcher
11th June 2007, 20:35
It would have been ironic if Augie had met his demise by being struck by lightning. Even he would have seen the humour in that!

gunnyrob
11th June 2007, 20:51
:spudwave: ARRRRRRGHHHH.

Happy winds at ye back Auld Augie, If there was one wish I could have had when BI cycling around the South Island in a fit of madness THE WRONG WAY it was this:

"I wish, that in a 20" radius, on command, the wind will provide me with a tail wind strong enough to propel me up or past, whatever obstacle is in my path"

(Normally wished for when cycling downhill in the teeth of a gale force headwind up the Lewis pass) (Dammit)