PDA

View Full Version : Front disc brake compatiblity?

breakaway
11th June 2007, 10:59
Hello,

One (or both) of the discs on my '89 CBR400RR are warped. I've been looking everywhere for spares, emailed several wreckers, looked on eBay, and I can't find anything suitable. Now the bike shop where I'm getting it all sorted (it has some other issues as well) says that new discs are $380 each. That made me shit a brick.

I have two Questions:

1. I've found some discs from CBR900s etc, are these in any way interchangable with the CBR400RR?

2. In the event that I cannot source some from wreckers etc, what are some reasonably priced decent quality ones I can get? I don't mind having them shipped from the US or whatever.

Disco Dan
11th June 2007, 11:02
Pay the $380 ...bend over and take it like a man. No price too high for being able to stop safely. :Punk:

breakaway
11th June 2007, 11:03
Pay the $380 ...bend over and take it like a man. No price too high for being able to stop safely. :Punk:

I'm afraid its gonna have to come to that. But I thought, might as well get some decent aftermarket ones for around the same price (I did a search and have been reading other threads.)

But first, I'd like to figure out if 900s 600 rotors etc are compatible with CBR400RRs.

breakaway
11th June 2007, 11:16
Alright I just spoke to some random motorcycle shop (ring pete for the cbr bits 063296868),

And my bike shares discs with the following:

Diameter: 296mm

RVF400 94 - 96
VFR400 89 - 92
CbR600 95 - 98
VFR750 94 - 97
CBR900 94 - 97
VTR1000 97 - 02

Time to whore ebay and trademe some more I guess.

Devil
11th June 2007, 12:11
Go to the EBC brakes website and download the catalogue to get the brake details. Then go shopping at somewhere like www.starcycle.com and buy them.

I bought a pair of EBC brakes recently from them, cost me $175US each, which with our insane exchange rate is damn cheap. Get matching HH sintered pads at the same time.

xwhatsit
11th June 2007, 12:21

<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>Using brake discs from another model isn't going to make the brakes any less safe. Parts are often shared across models -- no point in reinventing the wheel every time if a 296mm disc with such-and-such mountings is going to do the right job.

breakaway
11th June 2007, 12:28
Go to the EBC brakes website and download the catalogue to get the brake details. Then go shopping at somewhere like www.starcycle.com and buy them.

I bought a pair of EBC brakes recently from them, cost me $175US each, which with our insane exchange rate is damn cheap. Get matching HH sintered pads at the same time.

Also, I need to get the bike Re-Vinned. I trust brakes from overseas won't cause a problem with this as long as the braided lines are NZ-VIN compatible?

Disco Dan
11th June 2007, 12:34
<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>Using brake discs from another model isn't going to make the brakes any less safe. Parts are often shared across models -- no point in reinventing the wheel every time if a 296mm disc with such-and-such mountings is going to do the right job.

I wasn't dismissing the idea, discs from other models will cost just as much... just cutting corners and buying second hand/reverse engineered discs for the sake of saving money is not worth the risk.

Also, I need to get the bike Re-Vinned. I trust brakes from overseas won't cause a problem with this as long as the braided lines are NZ-VIN compatible?

I would check to see if you have a label on your bike anywhere that states the minimum thickness for your discs, as this may differ to what your new disks say if you put an alternate model (of bike) discs on?

Braided lines need to be stamped (not sure what with) to be legal here.

be careful if yours is an import that already has them....

Panther
11th June 2007, 12:40
Try Keith at vic wreckers:

email is best, vicwreck@iinet.net.au

Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers
52-54 Mologa Road.
Heidelberg West. 3081
Australia.

Ph 03 94571733
Fax 03 94571866

International
Ph 61 3 94571733
Fax 61 3 94571866

Melways Map 19 G10

Hours Monday - Friday 8.30-5.30, Saturday 8.00-1.30

WRECKING ONLY LATE MODEL JAPANESE ROAD BIKES.

car
11th June 2007, 13:30

What he said. I took advice and went with EBCs on my RVF, including whatever pads it was the guy at Transit MC (York, UK -- *great* on small jap grey import stuff) recommended, and never had any trouble with them. No noticeable difference in performance between them and the original Honda parts. They were probably a little heavier -- this makes a difference to some.

car
11th June 2007, 13:38
I wasn't dismissing the idea, discs from other models will cost just as much... just cutting corners and buying second hand/reverse engineered discs for the sake of saving money is not worth the risk.

I can see where you're coming from with the pattern parts: I've skinned many a knuckle trying to get crappy pattern components to fit (always in the peeing rain, with the sun rapidly setting, it seems.) But there are pattern part manufacturers that do the job right, and in my limited experience EBC are one of those manufacturers. I wouldn't think twice about buying EBC over OE.

Reckless
11th June 2007, 13:51
Didn't ya think to do the Trade me thing??

Try this
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-103486633.htm?p=1

or this same guy
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-103491256.htm?p=2

For his contact detals
Looks like they make them as well so maybe he could make you/get you some.

or this second hand
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-103350424.htm?p=1

Disco Dan
11th June 2007, 14:16

Try this
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-103486633.htm?p=1

or this same guy
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-103491256.htm?p=2

For his contact detals

or this second hand
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-103350424.htm?p=1

Freddies disks are the ones to avoid....

Yes they are cheap, but the quality of the steel is not up to spec. It would probably be ok for a 250cc bike as the speeds reached would not be as great. Also the centre portion of the disk is re-used (he asks you to send your old disks to him) - so in actual fact, what your doing is buy part of your old disk back! Only this time with poor quality steel rotor attached.

Personally, I would avoid them.

I have bought disks off him before for a 250cc and they seemed to work well, and bed in well etc. But I sold the bike a few months later.

This guy is why I said in my original post to pay top dollar... its YOUR safety remember.

Reckless
11th June 2007, 14:32
Freddies disks are the ones to avoid....

Yes they are cheap, but the quality of the steel is not up to spec. It would probably be ok for a 250cc bike as the speeds reached would not be as great. Also the centre portion of the disk is re-used (he asks you to send your old disks to him) - so in actual fact, what your doing is buy part of your old disk back! Only this time with poor quality steel rotor attached.

Personally, I would avoid them.

I have bought disks off him before for a 250cc and they seemed to work well, and bed in well etc. But I sold the bike a few months later.

Thanks for the heads up.
Good to have feedback from someone that has had experiance with it.
Cheers

bungbung
11th June 2007, 14:47
I bought EBC pro-lite rotors and HH pads from the USA for my VTR (same discs as what you want.) cheapest option without going to second hand discs.

My old discs had a nasty warp. The EBC's stop pretty good.

klyong82
11th June 2007, 16:29
Only place to get cheap disc would be Ebay US. I recently paid US31 for a set of second-hand Fireblade discs plus US40 postage. Second-hand disc from NZ wreckers are not cheap cost anywhere from $200. I was quoted $300 for a second hand VTR1000 disc.

Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers were selling AUS$200 per VTR1000 disc. I suppose wreckers know these are hot items so they put a high mark-up.

Buying brand new gives you a piece of mind plus if you take care of it would last probably 30,000 to 40,000km. Second hands? cheaper but probably give you half the distance provided it is straight.

breakaway
11th June 2007, 17:18

Try this

or this same guy

For his contact detals

or this second hand

That's the first thing I did. Kiwifruit warned me off those FGB Discs, so I scratched them off my list immediately.

Thanks for the last link though, have put in a question on the auction. However, I wonder if the discs on that bike are compatible with what I've got on mine now, since its an 87 CBR400.

Try Keith at vic wreckers:

email is best, vicwreck@iinet.net.au

Email sent (yesterday).

Looking at eBay now. Fingers crossed.

Anyone know what the minimum disc thickness is in NZ? I might have found a pair but they are only 3.95mm thick.

Devil
11th June 2007, 17:24
That's the first thing I did. Kiwifruit warned me off those FGB Discs, so I scratched them off my list immediately.

Thanks for the last link though, have put in a question on the auction. However, I wonder if the discs on that bike are compatible with what I've got on mine now, since its an 87 CBR400.

Email sent (yesterday).

Looking at eBay now. Fingers crossed.

Anyone know what the minimum disc thickness is in NZ? I might have found a pair but they are only 3.95mm thick.
The rotors should have a minimum thickness. Not neccesarily the bike.
The Triumphs rotors min thickness was 3.5mm.

You wont have any trouble with vinning etc with new EBC rotors.

I bought the same rotors and pads as bungbung and they stop just great.

breakaway
11th June 2007, 17:46
You wont have any trouble with vinning etc with new EBC rotors.

Okay where can I get a set of these? Along with matched sintered pads? The StarCycle website is quite possibly the worst e-commerce site ever. I can't find EBC Pro-Lite for my bike on there.

Devil
11th June 2007, 19:16
Yeah, it sucks donkey balls and dont bother emailing them, hah. They're so busy that email is the last thing they answer.

Use the EBC catalogue to get the part numbers and give them a call. Thats what I did.

Mental Trousers
11th June 2007, 19:51
Bought some EBC wavy ones. Like them.
If you have trouble finding what you need pm me and I'll price them up for you when I'm at work.

imdying
11th June 2007, 19:54
You wont have any trouble with vinning etc with new EBC rotors.This is true, they're a catalogued item designed for the model, not a problem at all :yes:

Panther
11th June 2007, 21:57
Anyone know what the minimum disc thickness is in NZ? I might have found a pair but they are only 3.95mm thick.[/QUOTE]

hAHAHAHAHA, minimum for the last time i got mine done, a few bikes ago, was 4.0mm, someone is trying to sell a POS, what a surprize NOT (as in borat, you know the not jokes, sigh.)

Disco Dan
11th June 2007, 23:10

The discs minimum thickness will be stamped on them. usually 4.00mm or some are 4.5mm