PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust gasket replacement?

knight rider
11th June 2007, 17:32
am looking to replace my exchaust gaskey rings between the motor & exhaust. have seen some on ebay which are pretty cheap. My question is is it as simple as taking out the old ones & putting the new ones in? Or do I need a glue & other stuff?

Paul in NZ
11th June 2007, 17:38
As long as it is clean and everything fits OK - glue should NOT be required! (thats the point of the O rings)

As a temporary bodge - Hi Temp Silicone does a good job but you are better off with cleanliness and a good exhaust fit.

Its not a biggie if you have clear access to the headers. I can help one weekend if we can find a time we are both free.

Cheers

knight rider
11th June 2007, 17:44
As long as it is clean and everything fits OK - glue should NOT be required! (thats the point of the O rings)

As a temporary bodge - Hi Temp Silicone does a good job but you are better off with cleanliness and a good exhaust fit.

Its not a biggie if you have clear access to the headers. I can help one weekend if we can find a time we are both free.

Cheers

Thanks for that I will take you up on that offer. will get the right o rings first then pm you. Is it ok to run the bike with stuffed orings? I can hear a sad sound coming from them. I've tightened them up & was ok for 1 day but then back to normal sad sound lol. also wana get my carbs cleaned & tuned so will it be better to do the orings first?

Paul in NZ
11th June 2007, 19:22
Thanks for that I will take you up on that offer. will get the right o rings first then pm you. Is it ok to run the bike with stuffed orings? I can hear a sad sound coming from them. I've tightened them up & was ok for 1 day but then back to normal sad sound lol. also wana get my carbs cleaned & tuned so will it be better to do the orings first?

Well I wouldn't enter into any races or ride to auckland on it.

The escaping gasses are quite corrosive but I'd ride it up here (Raumati) without stressing. Of course you will need to wait while it cools down to work on it....

YES - O rings first! Always service all the usuals BEFORE the carbs....

Cheers

Patryn999
24th June 2007, 22:05
Hate to bump up and old thread but try checking supercheap auto. Strangly enough when I was going to order some exhaust gaskets for my TZR (Yamaha origonals, dont ask the price) I was browsing through and found supercheap had a couple of sizes (the layered metal/material type gaskets) for about $2 each.

Needless to say they were identical and I was stoked. Stupid expensive yamy parts....

knight rider
30th June 2007, 09:43
Hate to bump up and old thread but try checking supercheap auto. Strangly enough when I was going to order some exhaust gaskets for my TZR (Yamaha origonals, dont ask the price) I was browsing through and found supercheap had a couple of sizes (the layered metal/material type gaskets) for about $2 each.

Needless to say they were identical and I was stoked. Stupid expensive yamy parts....
oh man I'm too late just forked out $40 for 4 gaskets