PDA

View Full Version : Camera and photography sorts

Sniper
11th June 2007, 21:01
Having a clean out and in front of me I have sitting a Minolta XG1 with a flash and another long lense with case that I have no idea how to ID. Dad bought it before I was born and he learnt alot about photography with it. Sadly most of it that he taught me I have forgotten and I have never had a big interest in photography in the first place. I have 1 understanding of the acronym SLR, and it has nothing to do with cameras.

The camera could do with a clean and service and a new battery. Thats all I know

Does anyone know anything about these cameras and also let me know what it would be worth to a collector or something.

Cheers

S

Swoop
11th June 2007, 21:10
Single Lens Reflex...:ar15:

Tardme search on expired auctions???

Sniper
11th June 2007, 21:11
Single Lens Reflex...:ar15:

QuickEez or Eno's should fix that. Helps with my heartburn

Cheers mate, just going to look on Tardme now

Swoop
11th June 2007, 21:15
I think the XG1 was even before my X-500!

I have been thinking about what to do with that recently. I wonder if a digital body would accept the lenses?

Sniper
11th June 2007, 21:17
I think the XG1 was even before my X-500!

I have been thinking about what to do with that recently. I wonder if a digital body would accept the lenses?

Apparently its classed as a classic camera these days.

Its was manufactured between '79 and '84

Specs here http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?MinoltaXG1.html~mainFrame

Sniper
11th June 2007, 21:22
Ebay is telling me it can range from $50US to $500AUS. But I would like to hear from someone who knows a bit about film cameras and also does a bit of photography

doc
11th June 2007, 21:23
Apparently its classed as a classic camera these days.

Its was manufactured between '79 and '84

Specs here http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?MinoltaXG1.html~mainFrame
Oh thanks, I still have an OM1 with a motor drive. No one has ever mentioned that it was a pre classic.

Sniper
11th June 2007, 21:25
Oh thanks, I still have an OM1 with a motor drive. No one has ever mentioned that it was a pre classic.

No worries. I had no idea mine was a classic till I looked on the web

nadroj
11th June 2007, 21:30
XG1 was pre X500 / 700 series which was the last of the non autofocus models but has auto program options. Best market for them nowdays is for photography students so not a great market.
I have an X700 with program flash & 3.5 frames per second motor drive but it sits in a cuboard cos it doesn't rate against digitals of 8 megapixels plus.

Hitcher
11th June 2007, 21:35
I have a Minolta SRT-Super chrome body (the Asia-Pacific version of the legendary SRT303) and lenses for this, including the magnificent yet quirky Rokkor 40-80mm f2.8 three-element zoom lens (the one with the controls on the side).

I also have a Minolta X500 black body (the Asia-Pacific version of the under-rated X570) with three-frame-a-second motor drive, and a selection of Rokkor lenses for this, from a 28mm f2.8 to a 135mm f3.5 and a 28-135mm zoom.

I hadn't thought of selling these until tonight, but since the advent of digital, I haven't fired a shot in anger on either of these two beauties for about two years. Is there much interest in this sort of kit these days, or has 35mm film photography become some sort of forgotten dark art?

doc
11th June 2007, 21:46
I have a Minolta SRT-Super chrome body (the Asia-Pacific version of the legendary SRT303) and lenses for this, including the magnificent yet quirky Rokkor 40-80mm f2.8 three-element zoom lens (the one with the controls on the side).

I also have a Minolta X500 black body (the Asia-Pacific version of the under-rated X570) with three-frame-a-second motor drive, and a selection of Rokkor lenses for this, from a 28mm f2.8 to a 135mm f3.5 and a 28-135mm zoom.

I hadn't thought of selling these until tonight, but since the advent of digital, I haven't fired a shot in anger on either of these two beauties for about two years. Is there much interest in this sort of kit these days, or has 35mm film photography become some sort of forgotten dark art?
Try Antique Roadshow.

Hitcher
11th June 2007, 21:52

That's not a pre-classic, it's a legend! The OM1 and its lens and accessories system completely revolutionised 35mm SLR photography. The OM2 was even more groundbreaking.

doc
11th June 2007, 21:55
That's not a pre-classic, it's a legend! The OM1 and its lens and accessories system completely revolutionised 35mm SLR photography. The OM2 was even more groundbreaking.
How much you offering ?

Big Dog
11th June 2007, 22:20
xg1 is the last of the "purist" Minoltas.
Find a purist and it is worth something.
Find a collector and it is worth more but will not be appreciated by the owner.

These are hard to buy because you never know the condition before you part company with the money and the run the first film or two through.

Currently I only have a digital because my Ricoh was stolen and I have not been able to afford to re kit.
If it is the image you are after you will be happier with a digicam, even a cheap one. If you enjoy the process you will never regret the extra effort that goes in to making a really good shot happen.

Lens will have a x rating written on the inner ring at the end. eg 35 x 200. = zooms from 35mm to 200mm. Depending on manufacturer the x may be a - or a ~ or an x.
That is the most likely size for a lens of that vintage that is an after market.

IF it is of sentimental value find it a good home, you may regret selling it, you will never regret knowing someone else is loving it the way your dad did.
IF it is of $ value advertise with a camera club there will be somebody who needs the body or the lens. Flashes of that vintage that are still in good condition are worth a fair amount and may be worth more than the rest of the camera.

I would estimate:
$50 for the body (thats what they were at cash converters last I looked)
Lens estimates are normaly 25 - 50c per mm of zoom depending on manufacturer.
Flashes in good order are about $60.
Flash in suspect order $80-100.

Excluding the long lens about $80 for the lot is about right.
On the other hand you hold on to it long enough someone will give you $300

All really depends on the other lens with it.

Post the numbers on the inner ring in the end of the lens if you can.

I used to sell cameras once upon a time. While I no longer do I have a fair idea of price as I have been asked to organise kits or review kits for a few people.

Big Dave
11th June 2007, 23:04
obsolete

adjective most of the machinery in their Somerville plant is obsolete | obsolete hairstyles outdated, out of date, outmoded, old-fashioned, démodé, passé, out of fashion; no longer in use, disused, fallen into disuse, behind the times, superannuated, outworn, antiquated, antediluvian, anachronistic, discontinued, old, dated, archaic, ancient, fossilized, extinct, defunct, dead, bygone, out; informal prehistoric. See note at old . antonym cutting-edge, the latest, modern.

Sorry.

Sniper
12th June 2007, 10:05
XG1 was pre X500 / 700 series which was the last of the non autofocus models but has auto program options. Best market for them nowdays is for photography students so not a great market.
I have an X700 with program flash & 3.5 frames per second motor drive but it sits in a cuboard cos it doesn't rate against digitals of 8 megapixels plus.

Cheers mate. Thats brings the market into perspective

I think 35mm film has become a dark art. One of my friends partners is a wedding photographer and when I asked her if she prefers digital or film she said that film is never used anymore

xg1 is the last of the "purist" Minoltas.
Find a purist and it is worth something.
Find a collector and it is worth more but will not be appreciated by the owner.

These are hard to buy because you never know the condition before you part company with the money and the run the first film or two through.

Currently I only have a digital because my Ricoh was stolen and I have not been able to afford to re kit.
If it is the image you are after you will be happier with a digicam, even a cheap one. If you enjoy the process you will never regret the extra effort that goes in to making a really good shot happen.

Lens will have a x rating written on the inner ring at the end. eg 35 x 200. = zooms from 35mm to 200mm. Depending on manufacturer the x may be a - or a ~ or an x.
That is the most likely size for a lens of that vintage that is an after market.

IF it is of sentimental value find it a good home, you may regret selling it, you will never regret knowing someone else is loving it the way your dad did.
IF it is of $ value advertise with a camera club there will be somebody who needs the body or the lens. Flashes of that vintage that are still in good condition are worth a fair amount and may be worth more than the rest of the camera.

I would estimate:
$50 for the body (thats what they were at cash converters last I looked)
Lens estimates are normaly 25 - 50c per mm of zoom depending on manufacturer.
Flashes in good order are about $60.
Flash in suspect order $80-100.

Excluding the long lens about $80 for the lot is about right.
On the other hand you hold on to it long enough someone will give you $300

All really depends on the other lens with it.

Post the numbers on the inner ring in the end of the lens if you can.

I used to sell cameras once upon a time. While I no longer do I have a fair idea of price as I have been asked to organise kits or review kits for a few people.

Thanks mate, thats a big, big help. Like you said, maybe I shouldnt sell it. It could be something nice to hold onto for a few years. Is it worth getting it serviced?

obsolete

adjective most of the machinery in their Somerville plant is obsolete | obsolete hairstyles outdated, out of date, outmoded, old-fashioned, démodé, passé, out of fashion; no longer in use, disused, fallen into disuse, behind the times, superannuated, outworn, antiquated, antediluvian, anachronistic, discontinued, old, dated, archaic, ancient, fossilized, extinct, defunct, dead, bygone, out; informal prehistoric. See note at old . antonym cutting-edge, the latest, modern.

Sorry.

What have you told me about being sorry? Thanks for offering your opinion BD.

Rosie
12th June 2007, 11:28
Probably don't need to get it serviced unless you are having a specific problem with it. Run some film through it, take it to a decent camera shop to get developed and explain that it's an older camera and you want to check that it is running ok. If there are any problems with the camera, they should show up in the photos. If there are any problems there is a guy in Timaru (?) where I get my 1975-ish Minolta serviced and I've always been pleased with the results.
Older cameras are a lot of fun, and with a bit of care, you can get really good photos out of them.

Big Dave
12th June 2007, 11:48
film she said that film is never used anymore

The people who perceive photography to be a fine art still use film. Small %

Commercial applications have gone almost entirely digital. It gets broken down into 0 and 1 and dots in the reproduction process at some stage anyway. No reason to introduce another step (scanning etc) when you can do it in the camera.

Slingshot
12th June 2007, 19:29
I think 35mm film has become a dark art. One of my friends partners is a wedding photographer and when I asked her if she prefers digital or film she said that film is never used anymore

Film will always have a place....My wife's a wedding photographer and she's still reluctant to make the change to digital.

It does take the risk factor out of the equation though...you get to see the shot straight away...but if you back yourself as a good photographer then there shouldn't be a problem.

In saying that....she's just brought an EOS 30D, she hasn't yet shot a wedding on it...but the photos seem to be pretty good.

If she likes is she's probably get a 5D and use the 30D as backup.

doc
12th June 2007, 19:39
Film will always have a place....My wife's a wedding photographer and she's still reluctant to make the change to digital.

It does take the risk factor out of the equation though...you get to see the shot straight away...but if you back yourself as a good photographer then there shouldn't be a problem.

In saying that....she's just brought an EOS 30D, she hasn't yet shot a wedding on it...but the photos seem to be pretty good.

If she likes is she's probably get a 5D and use the 30D as backup.
That wasn't my quote, but I do agree with it. Somehow I've been misquoted

Big Dog
12th June 2007, 19:48
Probably don't need to get it serviced unless you are having a specific problem with it. Run some film through it, take it to a decent camera shop to get developed and explain that it's an older camera and you want to check that it is running ok. If there are any problems with the camera, they should show up in the photos. If there are any problems there is a guy in Timaru (?) where I get my 1975-ish Minolta serviced and I've always been pleased with the results.
Older cameras are a lot of fun, and with a bit of care, you can get really good photos out of them.

Agreed. Throw a cheap film through at various settings.
Or get someone else to. then get some prints done.
Pick a favourite and get it enlarged.
If there are no faults there is need to get it serviced.
Unless the shutter is jammed all they will do is clean the lenses and blow some compressed air through.
With some rare exceptions all the gearing is dry so no lubing.
Used to make me laugh that I used to charge $100 for a service ($200 if they wanted it sent back to a authorised person) through some air at it cleaned the lenses (about an hours work + $2 of consumables). People were happy.

Slingshot
12th June 2007, 20:01
That wasn't my quote, but I do agree with it. Somehow I've been misquoted

That's weird...my apologies....I'll edit the post if I can to reflect the original poster.