PDA

View Full Version : Poker Runs?

DougieNZ
12th June 2007, 09:24
I am thinking of organising one of these for a club I am in. Any tips? I am thinking about 5 checkpoints in the Wairarapa. Use pubs foir the checkpoints?

cards - a full deck or just 7's and up?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Kinje
12th June 2007, 13:17
Um, what is a poker run?

Ride around, collect a card at each place and make a hand?

Cajun
12th June 2007, 13:22
I am thinking of organising one of these for a club I am in. Any tips? I am thinking about 5 checkpoints in the Wairarapa. Use pubs foir the checkpoints?

cards - a full deck or just 7's and up?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Dougienz

Really depends on what club you are in, i know many people are put off some poker runs since they often more than anything always stop at pubs, so by end of run some riders really have had to many to be riding, so some people do not want to put themselfs in that group.

Cards - Full deck is best.

Slingshot
12th June 2007, 19:05
I'd be interested to hear how it goes. I'm planning on running a poker run this year for the annual KB start of October ride.

Shadows
13th June 2007, 00:17
Definately a full deck unless there are bugger all of ya.

Pubs are the best option as you can pick up a feed, in fact a limited choice lunch deal should be prearranged with one of them, and all of the pubs should be informed of what you are doing. Unfortunately you can't stop people drinking though. Limit the time at each place so people can't get pissed unless they are determined to do so by skulling. Make one of the stops a public park or something to keep the pissheads a bit more sober.

Make sure you take fuel top ups into account, one, or maybe two of the stops, depending on how long the ride is, will need to be close to a petrol station and everybody should be made aware of the opportunity to refuel at that point. Allow extra time for this at those places, and don't make it the lunch stop, better still, make it the non-pub stop.

Provide a support vehicle. Apart from the obvious purpose this is also useful for lugging prizes around (you're going to have prizes, right?) and equipment for games / contests if you need something to do at the non-pub stop.

If the route is not known to everybody this will ensure that everybody rides together and nobody races ahead as they won't know where they are going. You will need a couple of riders in the know to direct or control traffic at intersections and it would be good have somebody at the back as well, but don't stop every five minutes for people to catch up as there are enough stops throughout the day. Keep a steady and reasonably legal pace going, if people can't keep up and get lost that is their problem.

The final stop should have plenty of accommodation and secure bike storage available nearby. Prizegiving / Band / BBQ / whatever, that is where the serious piss drinking will be done so people need the option.

DougieNZ
14th June 2007, 07:37
Thanks very much for the replies everyone. I look forward to orgainising this run. I will make 4 checkpoints - 2 at pubs and 2 at parks or something. Very useful suggestions. Thanks!

Cheers

AD

Shadows
14th June 2007, 12:34
Thanks very much for the replies everyone. I look forward to orgainising this run. I will make 4 checkpoints - 2 at pubs and 2 at parks or something. Very useful suggestions. Thanks!

Cheers

AD

You'll need 5 stops... for 5 cards...

DougieNZ
14th June 2007, 13:05
1 card at the meeting place then 4 stops....

Griff
14th June 2007, 13:11
D'oh, Imagine how stupid I now feel?
It is all about playing Cards isn't it?

I thought it was an organised jaunt from Brothel to Brothel.

Shadows
14th June 2007, 15:38
D'oh, Imagine how stupid I now feel?
It is all about playing Cards isn't it?

I thought it was an organised jaunt from Brothel to Brothel.

That's the one where everybody gets the Jack.