PDA

View Full Version : Getting knee protectors off

SVboy
12th June 2007, 10:49
Hi Peeps
I have a K6 SV 1000 with tank pad and stick on knee protectors on the tank. I want to take the knee protectors off. They make sense, but dont look good, in my opinion. Any advice on how to do this without munting the paint? I am thinking hairdryer to soften the adhesive....but you might know of a better way...

jester67
12th June 2007, 11:55
Try a hair drier on high. It would probably pay to empty and vent the tank first as well. The concentrated heat may gas off the petrol and pressurise the tank - if you don't know where your breather comes out you could be in for a shock (or fire). Avoid solvents and do it inside or in a garage so that your heat does not get "blown away" by errant breezes.

FROSTY
12th June 2007, 12:02
Heat gun -be gentle pulling the protector off. Prepsol helps soften the goo that willbe left behind. Another product if ya can get it is eucaliptus oil --great for getting rid of the gooey goop
Then a good mild cut n polish
DO -leave the cut n polish an hour after using the prepsol--Prepsol can soften the paint

imdying
12th June 2007, 12:20
DeSolveIt, you can get it from Mitre 10. Citrus based goo remover... buy a big bottle, it's great stuff :)

SVboy
13th June 2007, 13:34
I like the desolvit option-be ok on the paint?

SVboy
13th June 2007, 13:36
But thanks to the common sense advise from people so far...