PDA

View Full Version : Buying computer software from overseas

Blackbird
12th June 2007, 10:56
During our “Birds Galore” tour of the south island, I edited some video footage of our dash through Arthurs Pass and added a music track. I used the Windows XP video editor and it came out pretty well for a first attempt. This has prompted me to look at buy a more powerful video and photo presentation editor - Ulead Video Studio 11. It’s on sale through the USA at $70 (~NZ$92), compared with well over twice that price if you source it in NZ.

Anyway, I ordered it on line through Corel USA who now own Ulead and got an order confirmation etc. Then a couple of days ago, I got an email saying that there were “technical difficulties” with the ordering process and that my order had been cancelled. Despite me sending emails back, I haven’t received a reply. I might be overly suspicious, but I’m wondering whether because of licensing issues or local distributorships, they weren’t supposed to sell direct to NZ but screwed up and won’t admit it.

I’m not going to waste my energy and pursue it as I can get one of our kids to pick up a copy in the UK and send it on for relatively minor additional cost. Has anyone come across this type of thing before when trying to buy software from overseas?

degrom
12th June 2007, 11:51
LOL... You think they just do it with software!?!?

Blackbird
12th June 2007, 11:57
LOL... You think they just do it with software!?!?

Hahaha - no, bloody nearly everything else too.:innocent:

Since making the post, I've emailed our son who is on OE in the UK to buy me a copy as it's only going to add a few bucks to the US cost. The on-cost in NZ, and Australia come to that is completely outrageous.

ManDownUnder
12th June 2007, 12:07
You'll find it probably breaches their licence agreements/arrangements to sell beyond their territory (i.e. outside the US of A). It's very common.

The land of the free can also be the land of the restrictive and letigious nightmare. Welcome to my world.

Edit... bypassing the local sales channel will save you money, but can cause a headache when support or upgrades are needed. (Just a heads up)

imdying
12th June 2007, 12:13
If it helps, something like Ulead Video Studio often comes with capture cards, or DVD writers. Probably the cheapest way to get a copy :)

Either that, or you could accidentally fall over a copy. (http://www.isohunt.com/torrents/?ihq=ulead+videostudio+11)

Jeremy
12th June 2007, 15:14
Only problem is if they decide to charge you customs duty on top of that.

(((70USD + shipping costs) +12.5% duty) + 12.5% GST ) + $25.38NZD
Which brings it up to ~143NZD.

sAsLEX
12th June 2007, 17:25
Here in the UK some online retailers wont ship to an address different to your CC address, ie mines in NZ and I am not, but they will take the money off your card and then say " oh company policy doesn't allow us to post to a different postal address ". Requireing you to go through hoops to get the money back.

Disco Dan
12th June 2007, 17:44
Apple is your friend.... :yes:

PM me regarding software for video editing...(XP) I may be able to help :innocent:

degrom
12th June 2007, 18:13
Apple is your friend.... :yes:

PM me regarding software for video editing...(XP) I may be able to help :innocent:

Are you going to do it on your Apple XP?

Or on your Vista-Pod?

sAsLEX
12th June 2007, 23:14
Are you going to do it on your Apple XP?

Or on your Vista-Pod?

vwware can run any operating system within a virtual machine........

Lias
13th June 2007, 08:56
During our “Birds Galore” tour of the south island, I edited some video footage of our dash through Arthurs Pass and added a music track. I used the Windows XP video editor and it came out pretty well for a first attempt. This has prompted me to look at buy a more powerful video and photo presentation editor - Ulead Video Studio 11. It’s on sale through the USA at $70 (~NZ$92), compared with well over twice that price if you source it in NZ.

Anyway, I ordered it on line through Corel USA who now own Ulead and got an order confirmation etc. Then a couple of days ago, I got an email saying that there were “technical difficulties” with the ordering process and that my order had been cancelled. Despite me sending emails back, I haven’t received a reply. I might be overly suspicious, but I’m wondering whether because of licensing issues or local distributorships, they weren’t supposed to sell direct to NZ but screwed up and won’t admit it.

I’m not going to waste my energy and pursue it as I can get one of our kids to pick up a copy in the UK and send it on for relatively minor additional cost. Has anyone come across this type of thing before when trying to buy software from overseas?

I keep telling people, paying for software is immoral!

Take a ride over to Hamilton and bring me 2 blank CD's :-)

Blackbird
13th June 2007, 09:54
Thanks everyone for all the generous offers. I emailed our son in London last night and he's bought me a copy of ULead Video Studio 11 plus for under half what it would cost here.

What's more, it isn't going to cost me a cent. This is an extract from his reply: "Don’t worry about the money, I think £38 should just about cover 21 years rent/food/uni fees etc." I don't know whether to hug him or tell him that he still owes us $70000 for varsity alone, hehe:innocent:

degrom
13th June 2007, 11:27
Thanks everyone for all the generous offers. I emailed our son in London last night and he's bought me a copy of ULead Video Studio 11 plus for under half what it would cost here.

What's more, it isn't going to cost me a cent. This is an extract from his reply: "Don’t worry about the money, I think £38 should just about cover 21 years rent/food/uni fees etc." I don't know whether to hug him or tell him that he still owes us $70000 for varsity alone, hehe:innocent:

LOL... We are seeing returns!!!

You must have done at least a few thing right then!!!

Blackbird
13th June 2007, 11:43
LOL... We are seeing returns!!!

You must have done at least a few thing right then!!!

Hahahaha! All 3 of our kids went through varsity and racked up 16 years between them. Mrs B and I told them that provided they were successful, we'd wipe their debt at the end of it and they could then live off their wits and not come back with their hands out! Seems to have worked so far:rockon: