PDA

View Full Version : WSBK - no factory bikes next year?

SPman
11th July 2003, 20:26
AMA Superbike.com

Black Thursday
<B>or, how to make the msma really mad in a few press releases (more content at bottom)</B>
by dean adams
<B>Who really has the supreme power in motorcycle racing? Several persons and or organizations </B>think they do, but it's really hard to argue with an association that writes the checks and controls factory and semi-factory racing teams the world over. That would be the MSMA: Motorcycle Sports Manufacturer Association, members of which include Honda, Aprilia, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Ducati.

Angered by recent events in World Superbike, including the 'from nowhere' new rules package that has yet to be fully structured, the presumed spec-tire rule for next season and the manner in which these rules were decided upon and announced, the MSMA decided today that they've had enough of the perceived buffoonery. The majority of the manufacturers who were mulling over returning to the World Superbike series next year (read that as the Japanese manufacturers) now say they have "<I>decided not to enter World Championship SuperBike at all.</I>"

Ka-Boom!

http://www.amasuperbike.com/2003-Jul/030710black.htm

Fuck!

What?
16th July 2003, 07:09
Guess it had to happen. Seems to be a lot of this sort of crap in motor racing (maybe sport in general?). The F1 bosses made new rules to stop Schu winning nearly everything, but fortunately Ferrari had the determination to go out and win anyway.:cool:&nbsp; Maybe the bike factories have gone back to seeing GP as the camp for their development. Makes sense, as less restrictive rules must give rise to greater innovation. The proof will be when Honda put out a v-5 road bike...

Meanwhile, for those of us who have followed world supers since their inception, this is indeed a sad state, though I feel the SBK has been in decline for a couple of years now... (feel free to shoot me down on that)

wkid_one
16th July 2003, 08:21
I think SBK shot themselves in the foot when they introduced the 'Ducati' rule.&nbsp; The only reason they bought in the 1000 Twin/750 Multi rule was an underlying desire not to want the Ducati marque to disappear althogether.

The must have pissed the Jap marques off no end - effectively reducing their competitiveness and therefore their exposure to the wider purchasing public - so the tended to focus on GP (even tho the restriction meant the bikes were largely out of the price range and grasp of mortal man(the assexual reference))...plus - most people buying 4 strokers - not two's reduced its appeal.

Now GP pretty much allows free reign over R&amp;D and thou capacity, I suppose it is natural that the Jap marques focus their racing budgets here....why spend shit loads of money to struggle for a podium finish in SBK due to engine restrictions....

BSB is an example of where it is mainly dominated by non-factory sponsors rather than factory bikes.

I think you will also find Ducati shift away from SBK altogether now the big bang is proving to be successful in GP and even Rossi speaking of wanting a ride on it.&nbsp;

I see it as SBK's ow downfall - they shouldn't have introduced rules that attempt to dabble in the buying preferences of the public - but rather aim for the best racing.&nbsp; The only rules should be their to improve rider safety.&nbsp; If a tiwn isn't as powerul as a multi - the manufacturers should choose whether to race one without the restrictions - which may infact improve the performance of the twins on the market,&nbsp; I think most people would agree - it is only now that we are getting a true representation of the bikes people are actually riding on the road - been raced on Telly.&nbsp; But how many Gixxer riders think the thou is getting a good showing coz of the restrictions?

&nbsp;

Coldkiwi
16th July 2003, 12:17
wkid, did you read the full screed on the linked page about how all the manufacturers decided to introduce the air restrictors?

Its not jist about the restrictors either.. its about them selling bikes (the whole point of SBK).. and they won't sell as many bikes by hiking the price of the base models up through the roof (necessary to win in a&nbsp;technically limitless competition).

Thats what MotoGp is for... win for prestige, not to sell an RS3, RC211V or Duke banger on monday

&nbsp;

wkid_one
16th July 2003, 12:40
Yes - but if you read other articles in magazines such as PB and FB - you will find that the mnu felt they were coerced in to accepting the air restrictor in order to be able to run the 1000cc bikes - which they wished to run as these better reflected what people were running on the road.&nbsp; If they chose not to - they would be stuck with the 750cc restriction.&nbsp; As testament to where the manu are spending their money is the fact that there is a reduction (significant) in the number of factory teams.&nbsp;

Also, both Honda and Yamaha have already signalled their intent to run the GP style bikes on the road - and Honda have already started to do so in the CBR600RR and plans for the blade replacement in the same frame.&nbsp; And now Duc are signalling the same.

In the future I think you will see true sports bikes more modelled on the GP rather than SBK - as this allows the manufacturers better opportunity to exploit R&amp;D and testing in a more competitive arena.&nbsp; Ducati are still too competitive in SBK given the restrictions...

Yes - the initial costs of these bikes are high - but you already see the developments that have come from this progression in the sport (radial brakes, USD's etc) - which given the sterilisation of SBK is going to become more limited in that arean- and replaced by the more lateral work being done in GP by the manufacturers.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

SPman
18th July 2003, 19:48
Perhaps if SBK went to the same rules as Supersport ?

Lets face it, GP is back as the primo division, but will the absence of full factory teams in SBK be a bad thing? As a lower division than GP, perhaps, if the smaller teams think they are in with a chance, they will expend more time and energy on SBK and we will get bigger fields?

For an interesting perspective, read Rob Muzzy's views on events

http://www.amasuperbike.com/2003-Jun/030619b.htm