PDA

View Full Version : South Island in the winter?

mattimeo
12th June 2007, 15:23
Hi all - a few questions about winter riding in the South Island:

My friend and I are taking our bikes south for a week this winter, late June/early July. Our original plan was to circumnavigate the island but we're starting to think it'll be too risky (road condition wise).

I'd love to hear from anyone who has ridden/toured in the south island, in the winter. Would it be silly attempting any of the passes? Any recommendations or tips would be greatfully accepted.

We're a bit concerned about blackice and damp, slipery corners. I'm also told that south island roads are quite different to those in the north.

JimO
12th June 2007, 19:35
different as in better..black ice is a problem but its not like the ice age here you know

Colapop
12th June 2007, 19:36
Riding in the south during the winter is cold. Hope that helps.

mattimeo
12th June 2007, 19:53
The cold won't bother us in the slightest, we have good gear and are fit enough to handle that aspect of the trip - it's safety I'm refering to!

Colapop
12th June 2007, 19:59
O <hjyufuifyuio>

NighthawkNZ
12th June 2007, 20:26
The cold won't bother us in the slightest, we have good gear and are fit enough to handle that aspect of the trip - it's safety I'm refering to!

well if you get snowed in, yah won't need to think about safety... just keep an eye on the weather reports and adjust your route to suite.

Ride to the conditions, don't leave to early in the morning let most of the frost melt away... just watch out for the frosty spots during the day ie in gullys & gorges etc...

oldrider
12th June 2007, 20:32
Riding down here through the winter is OK, if you have good gear, that includes your bike.

You do have to be a bit more careful because there are places and times that if the ice doesn't get you then the grit might.

We (Mrs O/r) and I ride through the local passes all through the year and have only had to turn back once (Lindis Pass) because of snow but we could have made it home if we had really wanted too.

If you do get caught, there is usually a grit truck through by about 2pm and you can follow that through most times OK.

Ice has no favourites and doesn't care how good a rider you are and will show you if you don't treat it with respect!

The biggest worry you will have is getting rear ended by fast "expert" 4x4 drivers, while you are picking the grit tracks through the frozen bits!

Enjoy your ride. :yes: Cheers John.

Ghost_Bullet
12th June 2007, 20:37
Ride to the Conditions, If they Change reduce you Speed!!! Dont ya just love that jingle( Iget that song in my head, and I begin thinking of rope around the neck stuff!!!!), that is about it really, the South can be a fantastic place in the cold months. :cold:
Dress warm, pack a few bandaids :doctor: that'll see ya right.

Just take it easy. And have a great time:Punk:

T.W.R
12th June 2007, 21:04
Expect the unexpected :yes:

Pic: SH1 between ChCh & Ashburton 20km from the east coast a few years ago from a southerly blast that wasn't expected.

mattimeo
13th June 2007, 22:17
Thanks for the replys guys. Useful to get someone elses perspective...!

Tim 39
28th June 2007, 22:13
Expect the unexpected :yes:

Pic: SH1 between ChCh & Ashburton 20km from the east coast a few years ago from a southerly blast that wasn't expected.

yea thatd stuff your trip on a bike!

scumdog
28th June 2007, 22:59
Down here it was worse - we have the snow but we throw in the grit just to make it interesting.
The cold causes carb/induction icing up, 'plastic' tyres, sticky steering dampers, instant-ice visors.

Oh, and there's also some negative aspects to consider.!!

NordieBoy
30th June 2007, 09:47
Oh, and there's also some negative aspects to consider.!!

It dosn't freeze the beer does it? :shit:

T.W.R
30th June 2007, 11:04
yea thatd stuff your trip on a bike!

:shutup: Just a bit lols.
Coming back from a trip up to the Nth Island I struck a couple inches worth of snow over the top of the Hundalees at night which wasn't pleasant, sort of like trying to negotiate corners around an ice skating rink :doh:
What made things worse was not having my winter gloves at the time and I kept wondering why I was loosing speed all the time :shutup: My right hand was so cold I'd lost feeling in it and couldn't feel the throttle closing :cold:

mattimeo
3rd July 2007, 12:17
I have returned. Certainly gained some respect for black ice, I managed to drop my bike coming into Murcherson :< Apart from that it was a cool trip, a few days of fine weather helped.

phoenixgtr
3rd July 2007, 12:29
Ice has no favourites and doesn't care how good a rider you are and will show you if you don't treat it with respect!

I know what you're saying. Black ice is nasty

TonyB
3rd July 2007, 12:33
So did you do a circumnavigation? Was the ice to the North or South of Murch? There's a longish section of to the North road between Kawateri Junction and Murch that freezes up pretty bad and stays that way till the weather warms up or it rains, I'm picking it was there that you had your off.

mattimeo
5th July 2007, 14:03
Yep thats the one - just north of Murch. It was a pretty bum end to my riding, see the road wiped out the cover and innards of the ignition timing coil - not to mention my righthand mirror and indicator.

oldrider
9th July 2007, 16:28
Hey there mattimeo, ever since you asked and we replied, I have been noticing the weather down here and it's been dishing up some real shit!!!

I keep thinking, I hope those poor buggers from up North haven't come on down here thinking it will all be OK and are now continuously having to fight their way through this shit!

There have been some real pockets of bad Southern weather dished up lately, especially from about Oamaru - South - down around Otago - Catlins and other parts of Southland and up to Queenstown and Wanaka.

Not the most encouraging for a motorcycle tour but certainly challenging.

Hope you have had a good time while you were down here. :yes: Cheers John.

Jantar
9th July 2007, 17:22
I normally ride all year round, but I've only had the bike out 3 times in the past 7 days. The conditions here are downright dangerous, even in 4WD.
-9 here yesterday morning and -18 just up the road at Oturehua. Then it snowed last night in places and hasn't thawed much all day today. We are looking at -6 or so again tonight.

At the moment, unless you are very experienced in winter riding, then don't bring a bike to Central otago.

scumdog
9th July 2007, 17:23
Very motorbike unfriendly roads down here this morning.

From Palmerston to Bluff it was wet roads - black-ice - wet roads - black-ice.

Trucks left at the side of SH1 south of Riviera of the South as the roads were too treacherous, only one car off the road in my area though but a lot getting down the road in a manner that would make any drifter envious..

Kickaha
9th July 2007, 19:20
-9 here yesterday morning and -18 just up the road at Oturehua. Then it snowed last night in places and hasn't thawed much all day today. We are looking at -6 or so again tonight..

Just cuddle up to K14 :lol:

puddytat
13th July 2007, 22:24
I have returned. Certainly gained some respect for black ice, I managed to drop my bike coming into Murcherson :< Apart from that it was a cool trip, a few days of fine weather helped.

Bugger!! she's wicked cold round here lately,came home on tippy toes the other day, at -8 air temp what'd the wind chill be @ 120?